Start by marking “Polly (Edwardian Candlelight Series, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Polly (Edwardian Candlelight Series, Book 1)

Polly

(Edwardian Candlelight Series)

Polly was a bewitching young girl, that pretty Polly Marsh, and she knew it...
Polly also knew that beauty could be her passport into the castles where she had always known she belonged. So she set her sights for a duke and joined the firm of Westerman's as a stenographer. Surely one of that noble family would notice her and then all of her dreams would come true! The trou
Audible Audio
Published November 10th 2014 by Bolinda/Audible audio (first published May 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Polly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polly

Ivy H
Linda

Miss Polly Marsh, a foolish and naive young lady, had thought she deserved a better life. She was the daughter of a simple tradesman at the turn of the century. As a child, her mother had made the mistake of seeing that Polly received elocution lessons so that she was unencumbered of the local Cockney accent. She had an uncommon beauty and was very much aware of this feature. She thought it was her entitlement to become the wife of a duke.

For over the first half of the romance, the her
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I didn't like this one as much as Amaryllis, which is funny to me because this is the first book of the series and the other was the last, and usually I don't like the later books in a series so much. But Polly was a social climber of the highest order and sooooo naive and I think she was supposed to be unlikable but maybe not that unlikable?
Rach K
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audio version
Damaskcat
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edwardian London - city of contrasts - where women were only just starting to be accepted in the work place. Polly is ambitious and she wants to leave her working class upbringing behind and make a better life for herself. She gets a job as a stenographer with an import/export company which is owned by a Duke's family. Polly soon makes herself indispensable but she is not popular with some of her co-workers. Once she meets and falls in love with Lord Peter, the younger son of the Duke, she think ...more
Karen Field
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by the author, and I believe she goes by several names and I haven't read any books by any of the them. I do, however, have a couple of cozy mysteries by M.C. Beaton on my bookshelf, so I thought I was reading a cozy mystery when I started this book. I soon realised that this was not a mystery, it is an historical romance. But that wasn't a problem.

Polly is a social climber. She is ashamed of her cockney family. She wants more, better. And she believes she deserv
Kate
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, audio
I definitely prefer the series with the larger casts (A House for the Season, Poor Relations, The Traveling Matchmaker), but this romance was a bit like Sabrina in which Polly falls for the younger, charming (shallow) brother, leaving the older, cynical brother to clean up the mess whilst losing his heart in the process. Unfortunately, Polly doesn't quite have Sabrina's sweetness, but it all still works.
Rachel
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-booked
Oh this is sort of silly - set in England, clearly a mild romance novel, but kind of fun. Interestingly the main character wasn't initially very likable but I was rooting for her anyway. It kept me entertained while I worked in the yard and went for walks and I'll probably listen to another one, but if you choose to check these books out no fair blaming me if you find it a little silly/cheesy/dumb/whatever. You've been warned.
Vikki Vaught
Okay. The positive: The book has several highly amusing moments, and it has a good final ending.
Negative: I could not like any of the characters but possibly the hero. Polly's integrity and many of the others lacks substance, and their choices are self-serving.

It rarely for me to give less than 3 stars, but I could not in give this a higher rating. I listened to the audio version, and the narrator did a good job. Happy reading/listening!
Elle
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the h was plucky, sweet and determined, the H was overbearing and unkind. When he was not showing any signs of changing partway through, I skipped to the end to see if he ever would. Nope. I quit reading. She deserved so much better.
Pam Marcola Duff
Old fashion easy to read older book. To many side stories and the main characters fell in love before they barely met but all in all as not terrible.
Karen
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very uneven plot line, unengaging/unsympathetic characters, made myself complete it. Debating if I want to try book 2 in the series.
Water
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute Marion Chesney (or Jennie Tremaine) novel. Pretty Polly Marsh is similar to other Chesney heroines. The thing that made this book stand out, however, is that this heroine WORKS at a real job (nope, not a governess or scullery maid). Polly works in a business office. Good for a one-time read.
Jessica
A silly bit of fluff, i would have given it a higher rating but the heroine was rather irritating to start off...
Kyria
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this had me laughing, other parts made me wrinkle my nose in disgust. However Polly and the hero's tempestuous courtship was a mixture of sweet and amusing.
Maggie
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another lively tale from the prolific M C Beaton. This one told partly from the prospective of the lower classes. Enjoyable as always and well worth reading.
Heather Schneider
Nov 26, 2014
Laura M Griscti
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Pretty Polly (Dukes & Desires, #3) (Regency Love, #15)
  • The Highland Countess (Cotillion Regency Romance, #10) (Regency Royal, #7)
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis