Start by marking “Across the River (Books of Furnass, #4)” as Want to Read:
Across the River (Books of Furnass, #4)

Across the River (Books of Furnass, #4)

In the summer of 1863, Judson Walker, a captain of Morgan's Raiders, and Jonathan Reid, a young engineer, come to Furnass to appropriate two of Colin Lyles' steam-powered road engines. The purpose is to outfit the engines with iron plate and the newly developed Gatlin Guns, and, with Morgan, deliver the war engines to General Lee's army in Central Pennsylvania. Amid Walker ...more
Published December 26th 2018 by Calling Crow Press

To ask other readers questions about Across the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across the River

BookTrib.com
Across the River is a lush and languid historical spy novel set during the Civil War. This novel by Richard Snodgrass is the fourth in a series, following the critically praised Furnass Towers Trilogy.

Colin Lyle is the owner of the Keystone Steam Works and lives in Furnass, Pennsylvania with his Southern-born wife, Libby. One night two strangers arrive and introduce themselves; they’re Union officers who have come to speak with Colin about his steam-powered road engine and a project that could t
Jessica
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I really enjoy historyish type books and this book, Across the River, set in the Civil War Era was absolutely wonderful. I thought the tone of the book was a bit ominous, which was great. I predicted parts of the ending of the book, but others brought me an utter surprise!
Steve
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Outstanding writing and character development! Clearly, Mr. Snodgrass knows how to write. The story was interesting enough, barely, to warrant the length. The writing makes this book worthy and I will probably read the Furnace series in the future. However, I would have enjoyed more history...it felt more like a romance novel than historical fiction, and, well, maybe that was the purpose. Still, I enjoyed reading the poetic language and the insightful psychological characterization.
Lora Shouse
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well-told story of the Civil War era. The tone is a bit ominous throughout, and it feels as if everything is seen through just the slightest haze of gauze, or mist – or smoke?

The story is riveting – will the Confederate operatives be able to complete their mission without being discovered or killed or both? Are they even safe from each other?

The main protagonists are members of the guerilla group known as Morgan’s Raiders. There are a Captain Judson Walker and a Jonathan Reid who fancies hims
Schuyler Wallace