Start by marking “Grounded in January” as Want to Read:

Grounded in January

Winner of 2019 New Mexico/Arizona Book Awards for Best Romance.

Kate Wilson hates to admit it, but she's unhappy and can't figure out why. Fearful of flying yet determined to find a reason for her unhappiness, she boards a flight headed for her Washington hometown.

Published April 10th 2019 by Brother Mockingbird Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Grounded in January, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grounded in January

Start your review of Grounded in January
InD'tale Magazine
Readers will be inspired and cheer the characters as they jump the hurdles life has put in front of them in this beautiful, uplifting, and humor-laced book.

Read full review in the 2020 March issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Alys Murray
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely gorgeous book about the power that love has to help us move forward in our lives. Oxnard and Kate are lovable, believable, and totally compelling. Highly recommended!
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Author:Savannah Hendricks
Length: 235 pages
Publication date: April 10, 2019
5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Description :
Kate Wilson hates to admit it, but shes unhappy and cant figure out why. Fearful of flying yet determined to find a reason for her unhappiness, she boards a flight headed for her Washington hometown.
Inn of the Woods owner and pilot, Oxnard Swanson struggles with accepting his multiple sclerosis diagnosis, realizing his dreams of marriage and a family might be over. Determined, he
Jeanne Richardson
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the 1st book I've read written by Savannah Hendricks; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I cant wait to read more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

I received a free copy of this book via booksprout and Im voluntarily leaving a review.
Jamie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate and Ox are complete strangers who have fears they need to resolve. When Kate is stranded at Ox's Inn they are forced to lean on each other. Will this be what they both need?

I really enjoyed this sweet story. I found the characters to loveable and their problems realistic. This story tugged at my heart and left me feeling warm and fuzzy!

I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Barbara Waloven
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book tugged at my heart. For the sympathetic and intuitive comfort provided by Bayou (a rescued dog), for the trials life is throwing at Oxnard, and for the fears and searching for home for which Kate struggles. Even the secondary characters are amazing.

This wonderful story had me laughing out loud right from the first chapter. It also had me sniffling into my tissue and yelling at the characters. My dogs think Ive lost my mind.

If you want a story that warms your heart in every direction,
Jean
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great love story between Oxnard and Kate. There's heartache, sadness, fear, pain and so many emotions in this book along with twists and turns that you don't see coming but it is a truly beautiful love story about overcoming obstacles and facing there fears and having hope to have there happy ending. This is the first book that I have read by Savannah but I look forward to reading more of her books. I definitely recommend you read this book as it is so well written and worth ...more
Kimberly
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is a good romance read. The story has a good story line. The characters are good, and they have good chemistry. The story is an enjoyable inspirational romance read.

April
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a romance reader, but I could not put this story down! I think I was able to relate to it more because it seemed more realistic. I found myself rooting for characters.
I ran multiple internet searches while reading this book. I wanted to know what books were mentioned and what foods were eaten. I could relate to this story and I was surprised to see how big the dog's role was!
Caroline
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grounded in January is a phenomenal novel from Savannah Hendricks. This fast-paced novel grabs your attention at page one and keeps it all the way to the end. This page turner will have you flying through the pages. I highly recommend this book and I assure you that you wont be disappointed. I look forward to more books from this author. ...more
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, 2020
Sweet, Sad, Funny, and Romantic = A Good Read

What an absolutely wonderful contemporary romance! The story pulled me right in with the heroines fear of flying in the first scene. She is on an airplane heading home. This scene was so realistically done, with everything that the heroine was thinking and feeling while in fear mode, such amazing detail that brought you right into the mind and emotions of the character. She is also a bit of a klutz, poor thing. Then we meet the hero as he is grappling
Briana Cooper
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book so fast. It is so beautiful. The story of Ox and Kate is not like anything Ive read. Its not often when an author gives a main character an incurable diagnosis or a flaw. I think in this case, it made the love story that more powerful. Ox struggles in his acceptance with his diagnosis and didnt give anyone a chance hardly to help him through it.
Kate couldnt have been a more perfect. Although, she didnt care for flying, she had a heart full of love to be there for Ox. She
KL Cassanello
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kate's smart, clumsy, beautiful, and she's unhappy with her life. She needs to get her groove back, so she heads home to surprise her parents for Christmas. The surprise is on her - they went to Hawaii. Ox owns the inn, and he has MS. He thinks that he'll never have the wife and family that he's always hoped for, because he couldn't stand for someone to have to take care of him. Kate ends up at the inn, and they get to know each other, both secretly hoping for more than the developing ...more
Susan Haught
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love stories that take place in the snow, and Grounded in January was not only set in a snowstorm, but Kate finds herself stranded in one with an unlikely host.

I adored how Ms. Hendricks uses the snowstorm and the complications that come with being stranded with strangers, and how the setting influences the characters and their actions. One thing I found especially rewarding was the illness Ox has to deal with and his livelihood as a pilot and how that would play out was a catalyst in wanting
Starla DeKruyf
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best praise I can give is that I couldn't wait to end each busy day by curling up and reading another chapter of this book. This sweet story was something I wanted to savor. I loved the believable characters facing real-life issues and in a beautiful snowy setting. Savannah Hendrick's writing is compelling and perfectly comical. Each character brought something to the story, especially lovable Bayou. By the end, I found myself devouring it and rooting for a happy ending for two deserving ...more
Sandy
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

What a perfect book to start off the new year and the month of January! The setting is perfect with lots of snow! I loved the characters (of course, my favorite will always be the dog, especially a lab). Such a sweet story on making life changing decisions, addressing fears and handling a MS diagnosis. And there is romance brewing at the Inn! A really great read; would make a great Hallmark Winterfest movie!
Vanessa Fischer
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
They meet in unusual circumstances, but that is good. He owns an inn, has MS and thinks his disease means he cannot bring someone else into his life. She has a fear of flying and flew back home for a surprise visit to her parents to discover they are in Hawaii for two weeks and she cannot get into the house. She heads back to the airport to discover it's closed and she goes to the inn with the man closing up the airport. The chemistry is real between them, but he keeps putting a holt to it ...more
Barbara
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good, well written story with a great storyline, by an Author I have not read before. This Author dealt with Oxnard/Ox's M.S. issue very well. This is Oxnard Swanson his rescue dog Bayou and the woman Kate Wilson who comes into his life and becomes his Blessing. Kate is a walking disaster, this story kept me laughing as I read. From the very start she trips getting onto the airplane and from there it just goes down hill for her. She was going to surprise her parents they are in Hawaii, ...more
Sharon Marie
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was not sure what to expect from this author, as she mostly writes children's books. But, this book was a real page turner. Story was well written and the story-line maintained its momentum from beginning to end. If you are looking for a good read, don't hesitate to pick this one up. I will be anxiously awaiting Savannah's next book, children or otherwise.
Trisha_loves_books
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate is unhappy and can't figure out why. Needing a break she heads home to Washington. Ox struggles with his MS diagnosis, realizing his dreams may be over. Sparks fly when Kate and Ox are thrown together at his inn. They find love is like a snowflake, a unique and beautiful reminder of life's continuation. Fantastic read.
Linda Martin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Savannah Hendricks made me a romance reader lol. My usual genre is suspense and drama. But this book captured me the moment I started reading it. Its refreshing and sweet and keeps you wanting to read it. I couldnt wait to read each chapter to see what happened next. I had tears at the end ♥ ...more
Rebecca Flansburg
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED! So well-written, catpivating, and fun. Highly recommend :)
Jenn
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars...

This book has a good Hallmark feel about it and overall the story was okay. It is written in third person, taking place in the PNW. I was not too fond of Kate's character. She seemed rather immature for a good portion and her clumsiness was a bit excessive. Ox's character was okay. He does have MS, is a pilot and runs an Inn. The highlight of the story was his dog Bayou, who was in training to be a therapy dog.
Anita Fuhrmann
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fabulous book!! Very sweet, thought-provoking and uplifting! It does not just touch on real-life issues but it actually has the reader experience those issues along with Ox and Katie. I especially liked how Ms. Hendricks allows us such a valuable insight into what it is like to actually have MS in every aspect. Physically, mentally and emotionally. This is something I can appreciate and relate to since I also have this disease that afflicts many throughout the world but remains ...more
Michaela
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Accident prone, anxiety riddled Kate. What a memorable and lovely character. All of the characters were wonderful and I'd love to see them each get their own story - turn this into the first in a series. This is my first book by this author, and I doubt it'll be my last. Amazingly personable characters and a wonderful and realistic storyline. Joys and bumps, anxieties and hope. Truly a wonderful story.

Heather Wamboldt
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grounded in January is a sweet romance that gives hope to all.

The characters are charming, relatable, and both have issues to deal with; Ox's MS diagnosis, and Kate's unhappiness and fear of flying. The storyline is well written and flows nicely, with humour, family, laughter, and love. I also loved Bayou.

Laurie Jacobson
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Highly recommended. Look forward for next book from you soon. No spoilers here.

Sheila
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring story with Kate and Ox who are snowed in together at his Inn and their developing friendship turns into more than either one expected. Loved this sweet story and the characters.

poppy
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first read from this author and I look forward to trying more in the future. This was a sweet fun romance that held my interest all the way through the plot was good and I liked both Kate and Ox and thought the author did a great job with them. I would definitely recommend this book.
Melissa
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksprout
Life issues, hurdles, immensely likable characters, and a relatable tale. The way Hendricks brings this story to life is attention-catching and poignant.

• After Kilimanjaro
  • Shadowed Rubies (Brunswick Bay Harbor Gems, #4)
  • The SEAL's Unexpected Triplets
  • Protecting His Cowgirl
  • What Happens in the Castle (What Happens series, #3)
  • The Forgotten Duke (Diamonds in the Rough, #5)
  • Date and Dash (Better Date than Never #10)
  • A Cowboy and his Boss: A Johnson Brothers Novel (Chestnut Ranch Cowboy Billionaire Romance Book 5)
  • Pleasantly Popped
  • The Tycoon’s Pregnant Lover (European Tycoon #1)
  • The Billionaire's Marriage Contract (Clean Billionaire Fake Marriage Romance Series Book 2)
  • Fire & Frost: A Bluestocking Belles Collection
  • Mad About Dukes
  • Forever Yours in Christmas Falls
  • One Hundred Choices (An Aspen Cove Romance Book 12)
  • A Cowboy and his Daughter: A Johnson Brothers Novel (Chestnut Ranch Cowboy Billionaire Romance Book 4)
  • When an Angel Whispers (A Chance O'Brien Mystery Book 1)
  • Bratva Billionaire (Russian Underworld, #3)
I'm a short and sarcastic, award-winning author and medical social worker. I love all things country, dogs, wine & black coffee. I have this piece of paper a college gave me for Early Childhood Education and another with some fancy word: Master's on it for Criminal Justice.
Stay ahead of the news by joining The Seashells of Life Newsletter, full of exclusives and bookish firsts.

News & Interviews