Start by marking “Grounded in January” as Want to Read:

Grounded in January

Winner of 2019 New Mexico/Arizona Book Awards for Best Romance.

Kate Wilson hates to admit it, but she's unhappy and can't figure out why. Fearful of flying yet determined to find a reason for her unhappiness, she boards a flight headed for her Washington hometown.

Published April 10th 2019 by Brother Mockingbird Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Grounded in January, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grounded in January

Start your review of Grounded in January
InD'tale Magazine
Readers will be inspired and cheer the characters as they jump the hurdles life has put in front of them in this beautiful, uplifting, and humor-laced book.

Read full review in the 2020 March issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Author:Savannah Hendricks
Length: 235 pages
Publication date: April 10, 2019
5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Description :
Kate Wilson hates to admit it, but she’s unhappy and can’t figure out why. Fearful of flying yet determined to find a reason for her unhappiness, she boards a flight headed for her Washington hometown.
Inn of the Woods owner and pilot, Oxnard Swanson struggles with accepting his multiple sclerosis diagnosis, realizing his dreams of marriage and a family might be over. Determined, he bi
Lisa
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Praise for the Author

I loved this book for once an author brings attention to Multiple Sclerosis and winds it into a romance. Just enough romance with a beautiful story.
Alys Murray
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely gorgeous book about the power that love has to help us move forward in our lives. Oxnard and Kate are lovable, believable, and totally compelling. Highly recommended!
Bambi Rathman
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a delightful "romcomdram" with a bit of suspense, this is a perfect book to pick up. Kate Wilson has been struggling to find out why her life isn't what makes her happy. She's not sure why. So she decides to return to her home town where she grew up to surprise her parents and search for answers. One big hurdle in getting there, is her fear of flying. Plus, add a few other anxieties and her klutziness, as she fearfully steps onto the plane, and I was pulled right into the pages. Her flight i ...more
Reena G
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author and certainly won’t be the last one. I truly enjoyed reading this book right from the beginning. The main characters Kate and OX were very relatable have been portrayed really well. The sweet rescue dog Bayou also fits in well in the story. This book has everything one wants-love, faith, hope along with sweet romance and the hard choices and decisions one has to make in life. Thanks Savannah Hendricks for your giveaway which was fabulous. Looking ...more
Jeanne Richardson
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the 1st book I've read written by Savannah Hendricks; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

Barbara Waloven
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book tugged at my heart. For the sympathetic and intuitive comfort provided by Bayou (a rescued dog), for the trials life is throwing at Oxnard, and for the fears and searching for “home” for which Kate struggles. Even the secondary characters are amazing.

This wonderful story had me laughing out loud right from the first chapter. It also had me sniffling into my tissue and yelling at the characters. My dogs think I’ve lost my mind.

If you want a story that warms your heart in every directio
Jamie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate and Ox are complete strangers who have fears they need to resolve. When Kate is stranded at Ox's Inn they are forced to lean on each other. Will this be what they both need?

I really enjoyed this sweet story. I found the characters to loveable and their problems realistic. This story tugged at my heart and left me feeling warm and fuzzy!

I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Jean
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great love story between Oxnard and Kate. There's heartache, sadness, fear, pain and so many emotions in this book along with twists and turns that you don't see coming but it is a truly beautiful love story about overcoming obstacles and facing there fears and having hope to have there happy ending. This is the first book that I have read by Savannah but I look forward to reading more of her books. I definitely recommend you read this book as it is so well written and worth re ...more
Kimberly
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is a good romance read. The story has a good story line. The characters are good, and they have good chemistry. The story is an enjoyable inspirational romance read.

April
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a romance reader, but I could not put this story down! I think I was able to relate to it more because it seemed more realistic. I found myself rooting for characters.
I ran multiple internet searches while reading this book. I wanted to know what books were mentioned and what foods were eaten. I could relate to this story and I was surprised to see how big the dog's role was!
Page-Turners
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grounded in January is a phenomenal novel from Savannah Hendricks. This fast-paced novel grabs your attention at page one and keeps it all the way to the end. This page turner will have you flying through the pages. I highly recommend this book and I assure you that you won’t be disappointed. I look forward to more books from this author.
Jamie Jack
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, p-2020
Sweet, Sad, Funny, and Romantic = A Good Read

What an absolutely wonderful contemporary romance! The story pulled me right in with the heroine’s fear of flying in the first scene. She is on an airplane heading home. This scene was so realistically done, with everything that the heroine was thinking and feeling while in fear mode, such amazing detail that brought you right into the mind and emotions of the character. She is also a bit of a klutz, poor thing. Then we meet the hero as he is grapplin
Briana Cooper
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book so fast. It is so beautiful. The story of Ox and Kate is not like anything I’ve read. It’s not often when an author gives a main character an incurable diagnosis or a flaw. I think in this case, it made the love story that more powerful. Ox struggles in his acceptance with his diagnosis and didn’t give anyone a chance hardly to help him through it.
Kate couldn’t have been a more perfect. Although, she didn’t care for flying, she had a heart full of love to be there for Ox. S
KL Cassanello
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kate's smart, clumsy, beautiful, and she's unhappy with her life. She needs to get her groove back, so she heads home to surprise her parents for Christmas. The surprise is on her - they went to Hawaii. Ox owns the inn, and he has MS. He thinks that he'll never have the wife and family that he's always hoped for, because he couldn't stand for someone to have to take care of him. Kate ends up at the inn, and they get to know each other, both secretly hoping for more than the developing friendship ...more
Starla DeKruyf
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best praise I can give is that I couldn't wait to end each busy day by curling up and reading another chapter of this book. This sweet story was something I wanted to savor. I loved the believable characters facing real-life issues and in a beautiful snowy setting. Savannah Hendrick's writing is compelling and perfectly comical. Each character brought something to the story, especially lovable Bayou. By the end, I found myself devouring it and rooting for a happy ending for two deserving cha ...more
Carol Werner Harris
A sweet romance read.

I don't normally read romance, but I loved this story, the characters Ox and Kate were very realistic and likeable. I fell in love with Bayou the rescue dog! The description of the Inn and the surrounding area were so realistic. It felt like I was actually there, I could almost feel the warmth of the fireplace, the snow falling and smell the aroma of the food being made. There were many laughable parts, sad parts and of course romance. This story is about real life obstacles
Sara Gray
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, quirky and fun read

I loved the way the relationship between Kate and Ox showed a real life view of feelings and obstacles we need to overcome in life and in relationships. The thoughtful way this author chose to weave the parts of this romance together was so enjoyable to experience!
What I loved the most was that this was not a typical boy meets girl story. It was a funny, in a quirky way, and yet brought out a true message of turmoil and hard choices.
I look forward to reading much more f
Annette
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story that warms your heart

I bought this book because I was looking for a heartwarming story fitting the season. And it delivered. But it is so much more.

Kate is unhappy with her life in Arizona, and Ox struggles with health issues he’s trying to hide but can’t ignore. After a chance meeting, and over the course of about a week, they realize what they both really want from life, and begin to work toward it.

The story has emotional ups and downs, which makes it believable and real. I wanted it
Barbara
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good, well written story with a great storyline, by an Author I have not read before. This Author dealt with Oxnard/Ox's M.S. issue very well. This is Oxnard Swanson his rescue dog Bayou and the woman Kate Wilson who comes into his life and becomes his Blessing. Kate is a walking disaster, this story kept me laughing as I read. From the very start she trips getting onto the airplane and from there it just goes down hill for her. She was going to surprise her parents they are in Hawaii, ...more
Sandy
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

What a perfect book to start off the new year and the month of January! The setting is perfect with lots of snow! I loved the characters (of course, my favorite will always be the dog, especially a lab). Such a sweet story on making life changing decisions, addressing fears and handling a MS diagnosis. And there is romance brewing at the Inn! A really great read; would make a great Hallmark Winterfest movie!
Vanessa Fischer
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
They meet in unusual circumstances, but that is good. He owns an inn, has MS and thinks his disease means he cannot bring someone else into his life. She has a fear of flying and flew back home for a surprise visit to her parents to discover they are in Hawaii for two weeks and she cannot get into the house. She heads back to the airport to discover it's closed and she goes to the inn with the man closing up the airport. The chemistry is real between them, but he keeps putting a holt to it befor ...more
J.
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a heartwarming story about love and life. Kate and Ox are relatable, authentic characters and Savannah did an amazing job portraying what it's like falling in love while facing fear. I was rooting for Kate and Ox from the beginning and cheered when they found their happily every after.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves a sweet romance, real people facing real challenges, and of course, a lovable Lab!
Tania
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book, the story was well written and the characters were intriguing. Once I started I could not get enough, from the start till the end I was engrossed I was even on the edge of my seat with twists and turns, lust and passion, strength happiness and love. The story of sensational feelings that can run through the body while reading. Do yourself a favor and buy the book you want be disappointed.
Thank you for allowing me to review your book.

I received a free copy of this book via Bookspr
Lori Downs
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love seasonal books and was very excited to read a winter one that wasn’t Christmas themed (I love Christmas stories, but was ready for something different). I love the main characters, the dog in the story, and the descriptions of the weather and the inn where it takes place. I enjoyed how the characters both had issues (fear of flying and a chronic illness), but you read it just hoping they can overcome anything together. Their love story feels genuine and not rushed. I really enjoyed this a ...more
Sharon Marie
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was not sure what to expect from this author, as she mostly writes children's books. But, this book was a real page turner. Story was well written and the story-line maintained its momentum from beginning to end. If you are looking for a good read, don't hesitate to pick this one up. I will be anxiously awaiting Savannah's next book, children or otherwise. ...more
Trisha_loves_books
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate is unhappy and can't figure out why. Needing a break she heads home to Washington. Ox struggles with his MS diagnosis, realizing his dreams may be over. Sparks fly when Kate and Ox are thrown together at his inn. They find love is like a snowflake, a unique and beautiful reminder of life's continuation. Fantastic read. ...more
Linda Martin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Savannah Hendricks made me a romance reader lol. My usual genre is suspense and drama. But this book captured me the moment I started reading it. It’s refreshing and sweet and keeps you wanting to read it. I couldn’t wait to read each chapter to see what happened next. I had tears at the end ♥️
Virginia
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this sweet romance about two strangers thrown together during a winter storm. Ox thinks he can't "be a real man" because of his MS, while Kate is trying to figure out what she really wants out of life. Very sweet slow burn that had me itching for that first kiss! ...more

• Shadowed Rubies (Brunswick Bay Harbor Gems, #4)
  • The SEAL's Unexpected Triplets
  • Protecting His Cowgirl
  • What Happens in the Castle (What Happens series, #3)
  • The Forgotten Duke (Diamonds in the Rough, #5)
  • Date and Dash (Better Date than Never, #10)
  • A Cowboy and his Boss: A Johnson Brothers Novel (Chestnut Ranch Cowboy Billionaire Romance Book 5)
  • Pleasantly Popped
  • The Tycoon’s Pregnant Lover (European Tycoon #1)
  • The Billionaire's Marriage Contract (Clean Billionaire Fake Marriage Romance Series Book 2)
  • Fire & Frost: A Bluestocking Belles Collection
  • Mad About Dukes
  • The Christmas Compromise (Christmas Mountain #3)
  • One Hundred Choices (An Aspen Cove Romance Book 12)
  • A Cowboy and his Daughter: A Johnson Brothers Novel (Chestnut Ranch Cowboy Billionaire Romance Book 4)
  • When an Angel Whispers (A Chance O'Brien Mystery Book 1)
  • Candleglow and Mistletoe
  • Letting Go This Christmas
Savannah Hendricks is a short and sarcastic, award-winning author, and medical social worker. She loves all things country, dogs, wine & black coffee. Savannah holds degrees in Early Childhood Education and a Master's in Criminal Justice.
Newsletter - http://eepurl.com/gNN1cn