Start by marking “I Promise” as Want to Read:
I Promise

I Promise

Catherine Hernandez's debut novel Scarborough was shortlisted for the Edmund White Award for Debut Fiction, and the Trillium Prize, Ontario's richest literary award. Her latest, I Promise, is a beautiful tribute to the resiliency of diverse families.

Featuring tender-hearted illustrations by renowned artist Syrus Marcus Ware, I Promise captures with love and honesty the int
Published October 15th 2019 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about I Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Promise

Start your review of I Promise
Nina Okens
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the sweetest celebration of family and of all the wonderful shapes and sizes and colours it comes in.
Agnes Kowalski
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read for my 5 and 7 year olds, not waiting for them to ask questions about where everyone comes from, instead presenting them with all the loving options.
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, kids-lgbt
loved this book about how families and parenting feels and looks different in different families.
Troy Jackson
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So important for books like this to celebrate our Family. Thank you! We love the authors and willhug them in person when we see them. Love is Love! We are Family!
Lana
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming story! I'm looking forward to sharing it with the children I nanny and babysit.
Ghaida Moussa
Sep 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Excited to read this book, and so happy black and poc artists are creating stories for us and our kids ❤️
Rebecca Northan
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love is love! This is a wonderful, inspiring, heart-filled book that will introduce young readers to the idea that there are many different types of families, and love is at the heart of them. In fact, "I Promise" wonderfully illustrates that we all have so much in common when it comes to family life, in all the ways that count: love, bed time stories, pillow forts, grilled cheese, giggles, and fun. My experience reading this book with my young nieces and nephews (ages 5, 7, 9) is that they enjo ...more
Ali
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful and important book!
Rachel David
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for this beautiful book. Important read for all kids.
MasterReader
The most important thing for a happy, healthy childhood? As far as I am concerned, that's love.

Rich or poor, black or white, queer or straight, the most important thing parents can give their children is love. Unconditional, warm and tender love, which goes with acceptance and respect for who we are and the path we choose for ourselves through life.

Catherine Hernandez' picture book "I Promise" takes a fresh and warm hearted look at the "Where do I come from question?". Nowadays conception has ce
Bailey
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writing a children's book is a delicate craft, particularly for very little ones, and this book shines in so many ways. Catherine Hernandez's story of a conversation between parent and child reads like a tender and playful lullaby. "I Promise" offers a series of warm and authentic portraits of LGBTQ2S families with beautiful illustrations by Syrus Marcus Ware. When I think of having children of my own one day, I see this book on their shelves.
Jami Sailor
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
tearjerker. how familial relationships with children are created. with a promise.
Kesta Graham
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. Both my kids enjoyed it and it prompted some great conversation. A great way to affirm to all that no matter the family composition, love is love!
Aviva
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Relevant and important read for kiddos book shelves. Should be in schools, drop-ins and literary centres.
Roberta Tom
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is important for families to read to their little ones no matter what age. It is a story of acceptance for all families.
Nadia L. Hohn
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful, endearing, and poetic book. The language and the individual promises are universal and reflect on the commitment all parents make to their children whether implied or explicit. The illustrations show a diversity of families.
Abby Johnson
The sweet message of this book is that families come in all different shapes and sizes and that the love between family members is much more important than the specific biology of a family. This would make wonderful, affirming bedtime reading for when parents want to share a message of love that leaves no doubt.
Emily
Ages 4 and up. A child asks about the different families she knows and where the children came from. The answer is a list of affirmations of the rights of every child ("to sleep in a comfy bed, to hear one extra story before going to sleep") with sweet illustrations of culturally, racially and gender diverse families. Though adoption and foster care are not explicitly mentioned, they are implied and this book can serve as a generator for conversations about them.
emmy
Dec 30, 2019 marked it as blog-recs
Mentioned in a blog post and resource list at https://booksbeyondbinaries.blog/2019... ...more
Barbra
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This picture book can be shared and discussed with young readers about how children from gay families have different parents but are just as loved and cared for. Not sure what age little minds would start asking about this. I would think this would be more relevant once they start school.
Courtenay

• This Is the Rope: A Story From the Great Migration
  • Peach Girl
  • Yours for Justice, Ida B. Wells: The Daring Life of a Crusading Journalist
  • Mommy's Khimar
CATHERINE HERNANDEZ is a proud queer woman of colour, a radical mother, a theatre practitioner, an award-winning author and the outgoing artistic director of b current performing arts. She is of Filipino, Spanish, Chinese and Indian heritage, and she is married into the Navajo Nation. Her novel Scarborough, which is soon to be a motion picture, won the Jim Wong-Chu Award for the unpublished manusc ...more

News & Interviews