Start by marking “I Promise” as Want to Read:
I Promise

I Promise

Catherine Hernandez's debut novel Scarborough was shortlisted for the Edmund White Award for Debut Fiction, and the Trillium Prize, Ontario's richest literary award. Her latest, I Promise, is a beautiful tribute to the resiliency of diverse families.

Featuring tender-hearted illustrations by renowned artist Syrus Marcus Ware, I Promise captures with love and honesty the intimate m
Published October 15th 2019 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about I Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Promise

Nina Okens
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the sweetest celebration of family and of all the wonderful shapes and sizes and colours it comes in.
Agnes Kowalski
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read for my 5 and 7 year olds, not waiting for them to ask questions about where everyone comes from, instead presenting them with all the loving options.
Troy Jackson
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So important for books like this to celebrate our Family. Thank you! We love the authors and willhug them in person when we see them. Love is Love! We are Family!
Lana
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming story! I'm looking forward to sharing it with the children I nanny and babysit.
Ghaida Moussa
Sep 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Excited to read this book, and so happy black and poc artists are creating stories for us and our kids ❤ ...more
Rebecca Northan
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love is love! This is a wonderful, inspiring, heart-filled book that will introduce young readers to the idea that there are many different types of families, and love is at the heart of them. In fact, "I Promise" wonderfully illustrates that we all have so much in common when it comes to family life, in all the ways that count: love, bed time stories, pillow forts, grilled cheese, giggles, and fun. My experience reading this book with my young nieces and nephews (ages 5, 7, 9) is that they enjo ...more
Ali
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful and important book!
Shira Spector
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful and important book affirms kids in all kinds of families, assuring them that love is what brought them into being. A wonderful read!
Rachel David
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for this beautiful book. Important read for all kids.
Bailey
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Writing a children's book is a delicate craft, particularly for very little ones, and this book shines in so many ways. Catherine Hernandez's story of a conversation between parent and child reads like a tender and playful lullaby. "I Promise" offers a series of warm and authentic portraits of LGBTQ2S families with beautiful illustrations by Syrus Marcus Ware. When I think of having children of my own one day, I see this book on their shelves.
Kesta Graham
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. Both my kids enjoyed it and it prompted some great conversation. A great way to affirm to all that no matter the family composition, love is love!
Aviva
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Relevant and important read for kiddos book shelves. Should be in schools, drop-ins and literary centres.
Roberta Tom
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is important for families to read to their little ones no matter what age. It is a story of acceptance for all families.
Nadia L. Hohn
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful, endearing, and poetic book. The language and the individual promises are universal and reflect on the commitment all parents make to their children whether implied or explicit. The illustrations show a diversity of families.
Jami Sailor
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
tearjerker. how familial relationships with children are created. with a promise.
Barbra
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This picture book can be shared and discussed with young readers about how children from gay families have different parents but are just as loved and cared for. Not sure what age little minds would start asking about this. I would think this would be more relevant once they start school.
Giselle Dias
Mackenzie Virginia
Oct 03, 2019
Sara
Oct 15, 2019
CATHERINE HERNANDEZ is the Artistic Director of b current performing arts and the award-winning author of Scarborough (Arsenal Pulp Press). Scarborough won the 2015 Jim Wong-Chu Award, was shortlisted for the Toronto Book Award, the Evergreen Forest of Reading Award, Edmund White Award for Debut Fiction, the Trillium Book Award, and longlisted for Canada Reads 2018. It made the "Best of 2017" list ...more