Start by marking “Witchy” as Want to Read:

Witchy

In the witch kingdom Hyalin, the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. Those that are strong enough are conscripted by the Witch Guard, who enforce the law in peacetime and protect the land during war. However, those with hair judged too long are pronounced enemies of the kingdom, and annihilated. This is called a witch burning.

Published September 17th 2019 by Lion Forge

To ask other readers questions about Witchy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witchy

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This wasn't bad, but it just very much wasn't for me. Waaay too fantastical for my personal tastes.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I love when I pick up a graphic novel and, within just a few pages, know that I’ve found a new favorite series to follow (at least, I’m assuming it’s going to be a series, based on the ending). Witchy takes place in a magical world where each person’s power is dictated by the length of their hair. Having watched her father burned when she was a child due to his hair being deemed too long by the government, Nyneve spends her life hiding who she is in hopes of going unnoticed by the army.

The art style in
Emma
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

Witchy is a very engaging graphic novel about a kingdom in which the strength of people’s magic is determined by the length of their hair. This was such an interesting and new concept. One of my favorite aspects of this book was definitely the mother-daughter bond that Nyneve, the protagonist, has with her mom, it was described so well!
The side characters were lovely as/>
Susana
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about:

A young witch named Nyneve who lives in the Hyalin kingdom where the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. Those who are strong enough are chosen to become part of the Witch Guard, whereas those with hair judged too long are annihilated.

Nyneve has been haunted by the death of her father ever since she was a young child and when conscription for the W/>This/>3.5
E.
★★★★⭐ | Choosing your own path with all odds against you

In the kingdom Hyalin the length of your hair is a big deal. It determines the strength of your magic, thus short-haired people have fewer possibilities and are less respected. However, sometimes those in power decide that one's hair is too long and such a person is a treat to the country. Such a person is burned. Such a person was Nyneve's father. And now so is Nyneve.

Witchy is a story of choosing your own destiny even with the whole kingdom agains/>/>In
Chad
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
There's some interesting world building going on here. Nyneve lives in a land of witches whose power is determined by the length of their hair. Her father was burned for having too long hair. (Yeah, that doesn't really make sense. Why didn't they just cut his hair?) When a witch graduates from school, the best ones are conscripted into the military (The Guard). Nyneve wants nothing to do with the Guard after what happened to her father and hopes to do poorly enough to be left alone. Events spin ...more
Erika Sarutobi
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm currently on a graphic novel roller coaster and this so far is my favorite! The world setting and magic system are always something I focus on in these kind of plots and I love the one in this book! The art style is spectacular especially the backgrounds and the coloring of the whole novel! I also love how the population/cultures are mixed and the way it feels natural.

In this book, the length of your hair is what decides how much magic you have. But if your hair is deemed too lon
TheYALibrarian
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rating 3 Stars

Pros:
-Unique world
-Elements that remind me of Avatar.
-Relatable MC
-Loved the talking raven.
-Possible transgender character.
-Enticing cliffhanger

Cons:
-The art style was a little weird and distracting.
-The MC could be a bit whiny and hard headed
-The world is not fleshed out enough for me to really understand it fully.

Overall, the graphic novel is pretty big but it seemed like it was still not enough time to
It was late.

I figured I would just look at this book, because the cover looked so interesting.

And here I am, at 1:17am, writing the review, because, although it was late, I had to finish this first installment of this amazing fantasy world.

In this world, hair gives your magic the little bit extra push. The more hair you have, the stronger the magic.

Nyneve's father was killed because of his hair.

She does not want the same fate, and she doesn't want to work for the guards who killed him. So, when she is conscripted, she cuts off her hair, a
Kissthelibrarian
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by Netgalley, thank you so much !
I LOVED IT !
I felt so invested in the story, the characters are amazing, diversity of representation is great ! Can't wait to read the rest of the story !!!
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Diamond Book Distributors and Ariel Slamet Ries for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

This was good but it wasn't amazing for me. The storyline was pretty good but it felt a bit slow for me. I liked the main character, Nyneve, and that in her world, it's the length of your hair that determines how good of a witch you are. Quite an interesting idea for a story and yeah it worked but overall it just wasn't for me. The illu
Stephanie
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
The art is dark and scary; it's fabulous! The colours are lush and vibrant. And there’s diversity!
I loved how the strength of their magic was tied to the length of their hair. The story is quite simple, a young girl suffers a tragedy and wants to avoid the corrupt world she lives in. She’s forced into becoming a rebel and has to go on an adventure to find answers. It’s a very compelling story though; you easily connect with her.
I am very much looking forward to reading more of Nyneve
Paul Decker
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book as an eARC from Lion Forge via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

In a world where your magical ability is representative by the length of your hair, one young witch hides her true appearance while at her school for magic. There's a big test approaching that can determine each student's future. I really enjoyed the Hogwarts feel to this comic, but unlike Hogwarts there is diversity amon
Shannon ✨
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.

I received this book on Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Witchy is a cute, unique graphic novel where the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. This graphic novel follows Nyneve as she deals with the death of her father and the threat of being conscripted.

I loved the art style in this and the panel layouts. The way the story was told made it really easy to follow and understand.

The characters were all so interesting and dif
Manon the Malicious
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Witchy is a graphic novel set in a world where magic comes from the length of one's hair, but when one's hair is too long, the government takes it as a threat and executes them. Our main character, Nyneve, is about to go through circumscription but she really doesn't want to be part of the army since her dad was one of the people burnt at the stake by the government.

I liked the drawing style, it was very unusual,
Stephanie Tournas
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wah, I want more. It ended too soon! Long hair confers witchy power and status. But if it gets too long, then you're burned for it. How much is too long? Unknown. Great mother/child relationship.
Serena
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been reading this webcomic for a few weeks now and didn't know it had a physical book! I like it a lot, there's a ton of diversity in almost every way you can think of. Also as someone who dramatically cut her hair quite a few times after graduating high school, this is oddly validating.
Andie
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is so interesting and imaginative and I'm so glad it's finally being printed so I can better keep up with it. I cannot wait to see what Nyneve gets up to next!
Anniek
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Actual rating: 2.5

I received an eARC of this graphic novel through Netgalley, in exchange for my honest review.

While Witchy definitely has interesting world building, I had a hard time getting into it. The art just didn't really work for me, unfortunately. And I found it quite hard to actually follow the story, as everything moved very slowly, but new scenes weren't really introduced either, which meant I had to infer a lot from context. All this made it quite a tiring re
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
The art style of Witchy is really interesting - while it's perhaps sketchier than some comics I've seen, there's a vivacity to the drawings which is really cool to see. You get a real sense of motion and fluidity in the way characters' actions are drawn, and the colours are really wonderful.

The plot is exciting and explores deep themes underneath its relatively simple storyline. I loved the diversity of the characters, in terms of race, gender and sexuality, and the commentary on ability throug
Aida R.
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
*free copy provided by NetGalley*

i loved this!
the illustrations are so pretty, the colors, the style, everything.
i really enjoyed the plot ant it left me wanting more.
i liked how there's something to each character that makes them interesting even if we don't get to learn they're whole story.
representation, character development, confrontation, relationships, friendships, everything was just great and so enjoyable.
Devin
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm really excited to see how this story plays out. There is so much detail and already a rich history in this world. And there's some strong Kiki vibes in the art.
Becky
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another one I picked up an e-ARC of thanks to SLJ Teen Live! without knowing anything about it previously. I had never even heard of it, and now I'm going to be talking my supervisor into getting it for our collection. In this fictional society inspired by a mishmash of Asian cultures, everyone has magic, and the strength of that magic is determined by the length of a person's hair. Nyneve has very long hair, paradoxically little magic, and an avowed distrust of the Witch Guard - which i ...more
Claire
I was intrigued by the concept of this book, with magic being gauged by the length of your hair. It's a creative idea, and I liked how it was executed.

What I really liked about this book was the casual diversity. Prill is a trans girl, but it's never explicitly stated. There's lots of characters of different races and genders and sexualities. This was really nicely done, especially in graphic novel format, because it's obviously quite visual!

The world-building is great, even if the
Alexandra Nae
This was an enjoyable read, though, nothing much has happened yet (which is understandable as this only contains the first four chapters). I love the world, but I wanted to know more details about it. I got to know the characters, but I feel like there is much more to uncover and I haven't quite grasped them yet. I guess I'll get the answers I want when I read the next parts of this!

I also adored the illustrations, they're fun and I love how the artist brings life to the pages with them. Overal
Jocelyn
Jun 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
from the author's note:
"Tired of never seeing characters that looked like me, I decided to make a fantasy world where Asian characters and cultures -- especially those not usually explored in western media -- were at the front and center of the story. I wanted, too, to write a story with relationships between women at its core."

read the first couple chapters and am definitely interested in seeing how the rest goes
Maddie
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loft-ya
A witchy world where the power of your magic is determined by the length of your hair and where a corrupt government might kill you if it's too long. Nyneve's father was killed for this very reason, and its for that reason that Nyneve doesn't want to join the guard but that's not her choice to make.

I love witch themed literature and books and all that jazz. This does a great job introducing this world of witches and the rules by which they live. I loved the art and the story was super cool.
Gizzard
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is a upper middle grade/ YA graphic novel. It has a fairly common theme, special child needs to save their people from evil rulers. The art is atmospheric and well done. It would have gotten a 4 from me if it had contained a whole story. At 270+pages, it was a set up. That doesn't seem to bother fans of this genre.

I received an electronic ARC from Netgalley.
Etienne
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
1,5/5. What started has an interesting piece of fantasy comic soon turn out to be more or less a lot of causal talk between teenagers in a fantasy story. Not enough action, not enough magic and in the end just not deliver what it had promised.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
« previous 1 3 4 next »