Start by marking “Witchy” as Want to Read:
Witchy

Witchy

In the witch kingdom Hyalin, the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. Those that are strong enough are conscripted by the Witch Guard, who enforce the law in peacetime and protect the land during war. However, those with hair judged too long are pronounced enemies of the kingdom, and annihilated. This is called a witch burning.

Witchy is a comic
Published September 17th 2019 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Witchy, please sign up.

Start your review of Witchy
Melanie
OwlCrate's May 2020 Box - REBELS WITH A CAUSE 🔥
My Rep Code: MEL10 ❤️

This was such a pleasant surprise! Witchy is a graphic novel story that centers on a witch kingdom called Hyalin! In this magical kingdom, the witch’s powers are dependent on how long their hair is, and they take a lot of pride in that. But if your hair is too long, and you are too powerful, the witch government can burn you to death. Also, the government tests the magical abilities of the young adults, and they can get conscrip
Miranda Reads
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback, owlcrate
description

Extra bonus BookTube Video is up - unboxing OwlCrate's Latest bookbox - plus a mini review of May's books - Incendiary and Witchy.
description

June's Reading Vlog Video is up! Click the link to see where this one ranks (along with all my other June books!
Full written review to come, but in the meantime, enjoy the book box pictures!

The Written Review
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I love when I pick up a graphic novel and, within just a few pages, know that I’ve found a new favorite series to follow (at least, I’m assuming it’s going to be a series, based on the ending). Witchy takes place in a magical world where each person’s power is dictated by the length of their hair. Having watched her father burned when she was a child due to his hair being deemed too long by the government, Nyneve spends her life hiding who she is in hopes of going unnoticed by the army.

The art s
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This wasn't bad, but it just very much wasn't for me. Waaay too fantastical for my personal tastes.
C.G. Drews
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I loved this one!! The art was so expressive and adorable and it had funny moments as well as dark rip-your-heart-out scenes. It's set in a witch kingdom where the length of your hair determines how powerful you are. Nyneve's father was murdered by the government for his hair so she keeps hers hidden, magicked to be "short". But even though she truly has long hair, she's super bad at magic. A loner, very quiet, good with strategy in class but really anxiously desperate NOT to be picked for ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
“If others pull you from the darkness, it's because they believe your life is worth living. Don't push them away because you don't feel you deserve it.”

representation: characters of colour, trans side character.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★

I really enjoyed this!

trigger warnings: loss of a parent, bullying, transphobia, violence.
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
AHH THIS WAS SO GOOD. I LOVE the artwork and the story/world is just incredibly imagined. I'm so excited to see where this goes and I can see myself following it for a long time!
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
I can't decide on how to rate this. 🤔

Things you must know :
- I really liked it!
- Full POC cast!! (fantasy based on Asian and Oceanic cultures, info here)
- Trans & queer characters!
- This is a graphic novelization of a webcomic (find it online here: Witchy)
- The ending is kind of abrupt, and I just wish there had been a better place to cut it off...
- I'm 99% sure there will be a second volume, since the webcomic is still going (this book goes up to Chapter 4, but the webcomic is on Chapter 6
Susana
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about:

A young witch named Nyneve who lives in the Hyalin kingdom where the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. Those who are strong enough are chosen to become part of the Witch Guard, whereas those with hair judged too long are annihilated.

Nyneve has been haunted by the death of her father ever since she was a young child and when conscription for the Witch Guard ro
Chad
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, 2019
There's some interesting world building going on here. Nyneve lives in a land of witches whose power is determined by the length of their hair. Her father was burned for having too long hair. (Yeah, that doesn't really make sense. Why didn't they just cut his hair?) When a witch graduates from school, the best ones are conscripted into the military (The Guard). Nyneve wants nothing to do with the Guard after what happened to her father and hopes to do poorly enough to be left alone. Events spin ...more
Emma
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

Witchy is a very engaging graphic novel about a kingdom in which the strength of people’s magic is determined by the length of their hair. This was such an interesting and new concept. One of my favorite aspects of this book was definitely the mother-daughter bond that Nyneve, the protagonist, has with her mom, it was described so well!
The side characters were lovely as well, I personal
E.
★★★★⭐ | Choosing your own path with all odds against you

In the kingdom Hyalin the length of your hair is a big deal. It determines the strength of your magic, thus short-haired people have fewer possibilities and are less respected. However, sometimes those in power decide that one's hair is too long and such a person is a treat to the country. Such a person is burned. Such a person was Nyneve's father. And now so is Nyneve.

Witchy is a story of choosing your own destiny even with the whole kingd
Eva B.
Okay wow I loved this! The worldbuilding was super interesting, and I can't wait to see more of the characters!
Rachel Feryus
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A political fantasy about a girl who decides to fight the corrupt and magical government. The whole power of hair thing is an interesting part of the story. I also liked the art a lot and I liked that one of the more important characters is trans. Interested to see where the series goes from here!
Rod Brown
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay, first up, a warning: despite no indications on the cover or opening pages, this is obviously the first volume of what is intended to be a series. There is an arc of sorts, but not a complete story. Fortunately, I had an inkling that was the case so the non-ending did not taint the book for me.

Actually, I enjoyed it quite a lot and am hoping a second volume is not too far in the future.

In this fantasy world, hair-length is an indicator of how powerful a witch you have the potential to be. B
Hilda
It had great quotes about being true to yourself and accepting others. So many strong female characters. I loved the message. But there was too much going on and the plot was all over the place. It was very long BUT at the same time not long enough. I felt like I was watching a movie. A beautiful movie full of drama, action, fighting, escaping, evil rulers with magical hair. This could have easily been cut into six parts, or more, and expanded.

I needed it to slow down and expand some more. Seri
Erika Sarutobi
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm currently on a graphic novel roller coaster and this so far is my favorite! The world setting and magic system are always something I focus on in these kind of plots and I love the one in this book! The art style is spectacular especially the backgrounds and the coloring of the whole novel! I also love how the population/cultures are mixed and the way it feels natural.

In this book, the length of your hair is what decides how much magic you have. But if your hair is deemed too long, then you
TheYALibrarian
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rating 3 Stars

Pros:
-Unique world
-Elements that remind me of Avatar.
-Relatable MC
-Loved the talking raven.
-Possible transgender character.
-Enticing cliffhanger

Cons:
-The art style was a little weird and distracting.
-The MC could be a bit whiny and hard headed
-The world is not fleshed out enough for me to really understand it fully.

Overall, the graphic novel is pretty big but it seemed like it was still not enough time to get a good grasp on how this world works and what these weird creatures are.
BookishStitcher
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting start to a graphic novel series about witches with powers determined by the length your hair grows. I like the art style, and I'm looking forward to reading the next one and learning more about this world.
It was late.

I figured I would just look at this book, because the cover looked so interesting.

And here I am, at 1:17am, writing the review, because, although it was late, I had to finish this first installment of this amazing fantasy world.

In this world, hair gives your magic the little bit extra push. The more hair you have, the stronger the magic.

Nyneve's father was killed because of his hair.

She does not want the same fate, and she doesn't want to work for the guards who killed him. So, when
Andy
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was part of Owlcrate's May 2020 Rebels with a Cause box!

My friend told me to read this while I was ranting about how much I loved Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones, so of course I read it in one sitting. Witchy tells the story of the Hyalin witch kingdom. Here, a witches hair length is proportional to their magical capability. However, witches with hair that is too long are enemies of the kingdom and annihilated. Nyneve (Neve) has been hiding how long her hair is since her father was
Artemis
'Witchy', despite its silly and corny title, is one of the more mature modern witch graphic novels out there. It certainly is one the most obscure - I hadn't heard of it until I saw it on my Amazon recommendations after I put 'The Okay Witch' in the basket.

It turned out to be a rare, misty, smokey, diamond in the rough.

Thank you and bless you, Ariel Slamet Ries and Lion Forge comics. You need more attention.

'Witchy' contains allusions to Hayao Miyazaki films (notably 'Princess Mononoke', 'Spiri
Jacqueline
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, as graphic novels go, I really liked this. It came in my OwlCrate today and I just had to pick it up.
The artwork was stunning and I loved the humor and well...the sadness of it as well.

Other then a just few, this is now one of my favorite graphics. ❤🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Isabel
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This arc was provided by Oni Press, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

3.5

TW: death of a loved one, bullying, misgendering (challenged)

In the witch kingdom Hyalin, the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. [...] However, those with hair judged too long are pronounced enemies of the kingdom, and annihilated. This is called a witch-burning.

I knew I was going to adore this just by the first chapter. Ries' wasn't afraid to make us sad and nervous about Nyn
Stephanie
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, arc, book-boxes
The art is dark and scary; it's fabulous! The colours are lush and vibrant. And there’s diversity!
I loved how the strength of their magic was tied to the length of their hair. The story is quite simple, a young girl suffers a tragedy and wants to avoid the corrupt world she lives in. She’s forced into becoming a rebel and has to go on an adventure to find answers. It’s a very compelling story though; you easily connect with her.
I am very much looking forward to reading more of Nyneve’s story.
4.5
ThatBookGal
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Witchy was ok, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have hoped. I found the story a little jumpy at the start, it needed perhaps a little more text for context, and the way it would jump without any cut scene was a little hard to follow at times. I also didn't really understand the hair thing and would have liked a clearer explanation.

Whilst the art is undoubtedly far better than anything I could come up with, even if I spent the rest of my life practising, it wasn't my favourite style.
Jenn
This was interesting for sure. A world where magic is tied to the length of your hair. I thought it was a pretty good premise but I'll be honest, I was a little confused on the history of the magic - mainly why her father was killed and what exactly the burnings were. Had it been a little more fleshed out I might have enjoyed it more.
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
I obviously got this in my May Owlcrate, and read it the day I opened my box.

I don't think the art style was particularly for me, but I DID enjoy the story. It was a nice fantasy, in which your magic is based on your hair length. It was so weird that it worked.

And shoutout for some kickass representation. Graphic novels have always been A+ on inclusivity, and it should literally ALWAYS be applauded.

This was a cute surprise. I liked it more than I thought I would. Even if the art style wasn't
Duchessbookworm
The art was fabulous and I really enjoyed reading my first graphic novel. I'd be interested in maybe reading more, as the ending was pretty open. This is so silly, but there were pages where I was like, 'This page has too many words'. I mean I read novels, so I was being so lazy for some reason. I found myself laughing at my laziness. Overall, I thought the story was just okay. It kinda reminded me of other stories put together.
Rian *fire and books*
Really really good. Not my favorite art style but it works.

Now I just need a book 2?????
Dixon Homestead L...: Book Group Selection for July 2020 1 2 Jun 23, 2020 10:06AM

• Horrid
  • Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Star Daughter
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Mooncakes
  • Nancy: A Comic Collection
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • Hex Wives
  • Exorsisters, Vol. 1
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Witchlight
  • Resurrection Girls
  • Grass
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
Ariel Slamet Ries is a Naarm/Melbourne-born, Denmark-trained comic artist and illustrator. They studied animation for 4 years before throwing away the prestige and money to pursue comics. They’re passionate about telling stories with marginalised folks at the centre, often with a fantasy or sci-fi twist. Their first two major comic releases, Witchy Vol. 1 (Lion Forge/Oni Press) and Cry Wolf Girl ( ...more