Start by marking “The Shoe Box” as Want to Read:
The Shoe Box

The Shoe Box

For twenty-five years, readers have been moved by beloved author Francine Rivers' tale of little Timmy O'Neil, a foster child with a very special and mysterious shoe box. This anniversary edition of Timmy's story has been beautifully redesigned for the holiday season to include a new five-part Advent devotional from Francine, as well as her favorite holiday recipes and the ...more
Hardcover, 25th Anniversary Edition, 128 pages
Published September 3rd 2019 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Shoe Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shoe Box

Mayda
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, christian
This short story about a young foster child at Christmas gets right to the point. Christmas is a time for hope and belief in God. This foster child’s shoe box contains all the things that meant something to him, and he always carries it with him, until the end of the story. An interesting part of this tale is the backstory about how the author came up with the idea for this tender and inspirational Christmas story.
leslye
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This little gem is about a foster child named Timmy, and his very special shoe box. An inspiring short story with beautiful illustrations, interspersed with the author's family traditions and recipes.

It was sweet- just the kind of book you want to read at Christmastime. Christmas Angel
Hannah H.
Does this count as a full book? I’m not sure, but I’m super close to 45 books and I was able to check this one off during a 30 minute run. I feel slightly bad to pick a few super short books lately, but not bad enough that I wouldn’t count them... 😂 This one was simple, endearing, and a really good reminder about giving all we have to the Lord.
Amber Schamel
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-audible-shelf
The Shoebox is a very sweet story with a touching and inspirational conclusion.

It is very short, and seemed rather "sumed up" to me. Not as compelling and emotional as I expected from a Rivers book, but it is a short and sweet holiday read.
Alexa
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this at Christmas and it was absolutely adorable! Many many moons ago.
Alleluialu
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This is another one of those little hardcover books I took out of our local library to read for the Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge. Again, it was predictable but sweet - just the kind of book you want to read at Christmastime. The author wrote an introduction about how she came up with the idea for "The Shoe Box" and among the pages are little stories about how she remembers her mother whenever she makes chocolate chip cookies including the recipe! There are other little stories and recipes ...more
Sandy
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story. All the things we should put in a box for God sometimes get put by the wayside. If we do what Timmy did we will be able to lead a more grateful life. The author also tells us about how she made a God box and put her worries in it so she could give them to God and not keep them herself. Such a great idea.

Warning: don't read this at work because you might do what I did and get teary-eyed.
Amber
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-library
This was a pretty good short story about a boy named Timmy who had a shoe box of treasures that he gave to the Lord during a play reenactment about the birth of Jesus. The story also includes recipes and memories from the author as well as the Christmas story. Look for this book at your local library and wherever books are found.
Cortney Davis
Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read, cute book by an Author that I really enjoy reading her books. This would be a nice story to read to a child. It is a super quick read and the Author shares holiday recipes throughout. I read the whole book this morning.
Mary Burley
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in an hour today, very short book. Includes some of the author's Christmas recipes and traditions. Nice story line. Makes you appreciate family and Christmas so much more. Would make a nice Hallmark Christmas movie if it hasn't already be made into a movie.
Laura Ellison
Very short story about a little boy in foster care who carries around a shoe box.
Alanna
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet story!
Bethany Tyler
I loved this simple yet great story of a boy who gave his faith to God.
The Christmas Story was well worded too!
Trish Niehaus
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but super sweet
Shalimar Cabrera
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a cute short story.
Polly Anna Watson
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
**What follows is not only very personal, but has a faith-filled message. Read at your own discretion:

I try to read Francine Rivers' THE SHOE BOX every year for Christmas. It is such a wonderful, sweet little book about a boy full of faith even in the worst of circumstances. Little Timmy has his box of "things" that he gives to Jesus one Christmas....and Jesus accepts Timmy's box of "things" just as if they're THE MOST IMPORTANT TREASURES in the world--even the "things" are simple, o
Barbara
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shoe Box by Francine Rivers is a novella about a boy named Timmy who has had to be removed from his home and placed with foster parents. He carries a shoe box with him everywhere he goes, but doesn’t show or tell anyone what’s in it.

Though the situation with his family is hard, his foster parents care for him tenderly.

One day he’s motivated to give his greatest treasure to a special person.

And that’s about all I can say without giving away too much, because t
Monkeyface
Jan 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Listen to The Shoe Box: A Christmas Story by Francine Rivers
Author Francine Rivers once created her own "God Box" for talking with God. Whenever something was bothering Rivers she would write a prayer about it and slip it in her decorated cardboard box. It was this personal God Box that gave her the idea for writing this compelling Christmas story about a foster child named Timmy whose only valued possession is a shoebox. His foster parents, a young Christian couple, are of course curious about
Kimberlee
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elijah Abanto
I read this, not out of celebration of the Christmas season, but for the reason that Francine Rivers wrote this story. (I and my family and church don't celebrate Christmas because of certain convictions.) And I realize that this book is not really about Christmas at all, but about the faith of a child manifested by his mysterious shoe box. This simple yet poignant story tells us we could share everything to God--our heartaches, our praises--to Him. God knows everything about us, but He wants us ...more
Melissa Lee
Author Francine Rivers found inspiration in her own prayer box, to write a story of a little boy and his special shoe box.

This beautiful short story deeply touched me, as a mother with a young son of my own. Timmy’s unfortunate circumstances only served to strengthen his faith. In turn he shined a light on the true meaning of the Christmas season.

This audiobook also included a version of the Christmas Story that I hadn’t heard before.

The Shoe Box made for the perfect holiday listen and I woul
Helen
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shoe Box is a very short story about Timmy and how he comes to live with foster parents and his attachment to a shoe box, until he is in a Christmas program at church.

I am giving this book 4's because of how short it is. I think it could have been a very good story if it was written into a real book, not a mini story. However, for how short the story is, it has very good examples to try to live by.
Michelle
I wouldn't say this was "good", but it definitely had a message. I would also say this is more for children. She is one of my favorite authors, but this is far from being her best. Again, it's more of a short message rather than a story/actual book. I think I finished within a hour while standing in a line. However, it is the second mention of a box (Redeeming Love was the first for me) that I am looking forward to starting my very own box.
Cheryl
Dec 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Are you kidding me? This "book" is one short story that takes the reader about 15 minutes to tell, followed by a reading from the Living Bible's account of the birth of Jesus. The final 10 minutes extols the virtues of the author, Francine Rivers.

While the little story was sweet, this was NOT a book by any means. How did it get all of these great ratings???

I am very glad I took this out of the library versus paying for it.

Not recommended.
Marlene Armstrong
This book has great promise of a wonderful story. However, she never got into the meat of the story. There was never a real bonding moment for me with any of the characters, very unusual for Francine Rivers. I was very confused at first as to why she interweaves her own family traditions and recipes into the middle of the book. But after awhile I just skipped through that.
E.A Henley
I have read this book many times, and it comes out of a box, literally, with the Christmas decorations and is placed on the coffee table. It's a short read and one that inspires one to savor the simple pleasures we have but tend to overlook, something that is so important during any season. During the Christmas season it becomes even more touching. An amazing read for such a small book.
Lorraine
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Randy Tramp
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timmy, a foster child has a mysterious shoe box.

As a foster parent, I identified with this story. The young Christian couple obviously loved Timmy.

The church they attended also showed love for Timmy. In the Christmas pageant, he gave his shoe box to Jesus.

What a great ending. I loved it!
Beverly
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faith

A book filled with family Christmas traditions and recipes. A warm story of how a family CNN place they're worries concerns and prayers. After a period of time sit before Jesus Christ in a family group or your own personal prayer time and see how God took care of each worry, concern or prayer. A Faith Builder.
Eileen Carter
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet short story about faith and love. Timmy has parents who can't take care of him at this time in his life, so he goes to live with a couple who understand he is sad and needs time to adjust. With their patient ways and living hearts they watch him fine out of his shell and become a happy little boy like he should be.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Shoppe
  • The Christmas Candle
  • How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)
  • A Small Miracle
  • What Child Is This?: A Christmas Story
  • The Christmas Candle
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Christmas Wish
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Paper Angels
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Great Christmas Bowl
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Story
New York Times bestselling author Francine Rivers continues to win both industry acclaim and reader loyalty around the globe. Her numerous bestsellers include Redeeming Love, A Voice in the Wind, and Bridge to Haven, and her work has been translated into more than thirty different languages. She is a member of Romance Writers of America's coveted Hall of Fame as well as a recipient of the Lifetime ...more