Start by marking “The Extra (The Extra Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Extra (The Extra Series, #1)

The Extra

(The Extra #1)

Gabby Mays wishes she had her future figured out, like her gorgeous roommate Anna-Marie, who has just landed a role on the hit soap opera Passion Medical. Gabby would give anything to find a career she's half as passionate about as Anna-Marie is about acting—and a love life that isn't comprised of nights with a party-sized bag of Doritos and her Netflix account.

Published April 6th 2019 by Garden Ninja Books

To ask other readers questions about The Extra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extra

Start your review of The Extra (The Extra Series, #1)
Jana Brown
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, owned, ebook, kindle
This is one of the cases where I feel like I have to explain my review a little. There is a base suspension of disbelief that I found required for this novel to work. The framework of the novel is all these people working in LA in and around a soap opera production, and the thing is their real lives mirror this soap opera environment to an almost exaggerated degree. We don't quite get to secret babies and selective amnesia, but everyone has dramatic problems, or is a diva, or is sleeping with so ...more
Sandra Lopez
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
When one career door slams in your face, another one opens. In L.A, who’s NOT desperate to get into the acting world? Certainly not Gabby. But, to her friend, landing a role in a daytime soap opera was a dream come true.

Since losing her job, Gaby certainly had more time on her hands. Of course, she was going to miss all the things money could buy. That’s when her friend suggests she be an extra on the soap opera. An extra for Passion Medical. Suddenly, Gabby is thrust into the world
Michelle Argyle
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. I just read another review where the reader didn't like certain aspects of the book, but those were the aspects that really made this book shine for me. I loved the support characters and cannot wait to see them in future books. I also loved the family drama in Gabby's life because it really pushed the book from "just a beach read romance" to a story with depth and a lot of potential for expanding into a great series. So, whatever floats your boat, I suppose. If you're lookin ...more
Diana (DomesticGoddess)
3.5 stars.

This one’s a soap opera within a soap opera, which may not be realistic but with Middle Child Syndrome so classic I think I might actually know these people.

Anna-Marie is getting her big break, another perfect feather in the ever-fashionable hat of her life. She’s moving forward, toward something she loves and is really good at, and I, as usual, am stuck in some kind of early-adult pothole of pathetic jobs I don’t care about and college plans I can’t muster the interest to
Jan
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Enjoyed this!

Life is messy and I liked that Gabby's life was, too. I plan on buying book 2 (which I never do) and that is the highest compliment I can give.
Linda McCutcheon
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a MUST read! I enjoyed every page of it. I laughed out loud and I shed a few tears as well. Gabby Mays is a twenty three year old woman who is in a holding pattern. She's given up college after three years because she wasn't getting anything out of it. She has been fired from a slew of jobs and the worse part is she does not really care. She just moves on to the next inconsequential job. That is until her actress roommate gets her a job as an extra in the soap opera Passion Medical. ...more
Energy
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gabby is an outcast, she's the family screw-up who doesn't fit in with her parents or her siblings. With a scientist sister and a musical brother, she has no comparable talent. She's always getting fired from various jobs and she seems rather hopeless.

But then her best friend Anna-Marie gets a job on the soap opera "Passion Medical" and gets Gabby on as an extra. It's perfect for her because she's good at fading into the background. Only Will works there as a writer, the Will she spent hours dreami
Marjorie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I actually really enjoyed this book, although it did feel like a guilty pleasure at times. It emulates the very daytime soaps that it is, in many ways, parodying. With plotlines that stretch credulity and characters that have either so many faces that you wonder if they have a multiple personality disorder or have just one stereotypical one. Honestly, it is a daytime soap in paged format.

Our lead character is Gabby and she is a mess - physically clumsy, emotional
Sandra
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let's just say I didn't know what to expect with this but what a pleasant surprise. It was clever, witty, inspirational & extremely well written. While perhaps it's in the NA category the characters were definitely not, in fact quite mature.
The story revolves around Gabby, the plain Jane of a very almost perfect, yet very dysfunctional family & her search for who she really is. Lots of family dramas unfold but what had me hooked was the soap opera she worked on as an extra, while she fo
Tina
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This was a fun read that briefly touches on some important topics.

Gabby is the middle child of rich parents, with a super successful brilliant older sister and an artistically gifted younger brother, she was never quite good at anything, just mediocre. After dropping out of college and being fired from yet another dead-end job, Gabby finds her self at loose ends while her roommate, Anna-Marie has just landed the job of her dreams on a soap opera. Anna-Marie convinces
Stephanie Bolen
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Boy, how shallow are people in LA

Gabby didn't need a date. She needed therapy. About the third, "oh poor pitiful me." I decided this would be a slog fest and just kept reading. Am I supposed to identify with a woman just flitting through life because it's hard to dream whenever the people around you are perfect. How about No. Cause some of us had our dream taken by a cruel hand of fate, but we still get up in the morning. You get up you move on however you can and, try not to become bitte
Christina Mullins
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gabby has wallflower syndrome due to being the only normal child in her family. I mean she has a sister with a PhD and a brother who is a musical genius, so what is she supposed to do with her life that means something to her perfect family? Well you might know better then her.

Her best friend and roommate Anna- Marie has just landed a main character roll in a daytime soap drama and since Gabby just got fired from yet another job, playing an extra might just be the job for her...

I re
Nebula Castelino
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing, heartfelt and fun are the three words that I would describe Megan Walker & Janci Patterson's "The Extra". Though the main plot is centred around the ever so dramatic and hilarious Passion Medical, "The Extra" takes you on a journey of self-discovery and relationships. Gabby Mays has so much of heart and is a memorable character. She really owns her journey and is authentically herself. The parallels and the integration of past memories and events are written so seamlessly that I ...more
Danielle Shaw
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ‘Arc’ copy of this book for an honest review

Not normally the kind of book I’d enjoy love a good romance and this has romance, love intrigue and this book is full of intrigue and love a book about finding love and this is what this book is in just not a fan of books about actors and there projects yet this was kind of what started this book so wasn’t sure I’d like it yet I did
Found it well written and not jumping from one part to another leaving me wondering what had happened in
Kaitlyn
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Legitimately funny dialogue and a relatable main character. I definitely enjoyed this book and I would classify it as a fun light read. I didn't love the family drama going in all different directions but dang it I felt for the main character in so much of the rest of her life. The concept of feeling like an extra in everyone else's stories was so understandable and man *spoiler* *when she got fired from even being an extra* that one hurt me. I may have cried... It also may have been raining. On ...more
Ann
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I admit I loved the book more than expected especially with all that drama happening. I'm not a fan of "cheating" even emotional affairs. But this story really pulled at me and I really read it on one go including a night time sleep but I picked up reading right after I woke up.

I had moments of crazy laughter during the sets of the soap opera and her interactions with Will. I mean I probably should not laugh but the Indian restaurant scene is forever embedded in my head.

I also had tears readin
Lyn
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
My second witty read of the week. I'm on a roll.

When readers talk about "voice," this is it. The main character has voice for days. She's witty, self-deprecating, knows how to throw a one-liner while keeping a straight face, and her life is kind of in the dumps. She's the so-called black sheep in a family of super over-achievers, but, ah, what a series of twists the reader is in for as the story unfolds.

Then there's that sweet little non-romance going on and all the other
Lyn Richards
Gabby is pretty much a failure at every job she finds herself in.....somehow getting sacked from each and every job but always seemingly through no fault of hers. In between jobs she undertakes free community college courses, because she dropped out of colleague.....she even attends a first aid course but doesnt make it through the first lesson.

Somehow with no acting ability, no job and no prospects she finds herself an extra on a tv show......surely she cant muck up the opportunity
Whitney Goyette
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author through Voracious Readers Only.

I may have binge read this one, staying up way too late, and I might have been really miserable at work as a result. IT WAS WORTH IT!

I loved the style of this one, the flow to it was great. The characters were amazing (I think I might have a crush on Will). This book was charming, funny. sweet, romantic... it is definitely a must read. You owe it to yourself to sit down (at a decent hour, or when you do
Tina
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I didn’t even realize my life was missing soap opera drama until I read The Extra by Megan Walker and Janci Patterson! Normally, I would scoff at all of the completely random and, honestly, unrealistic events that happen. However, they just kept me reading and wanting to know what was going to happen next. What are the odds that Gabby’s life would turn into the soap opera she’s been working on, right?
I highly recommend this if you’re a fan of Jane the Virgin, too!
I received a complim
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! Megan Walker and Janci Patterson are an excellent team. From the first chapter I was completely captivated by Gabby Mays and her collection of friends and family. She felt so real and relatable I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with her! I can’t wait to read more books in this series! If you enjoy relatable characters, humor, resilient people, with a touch of romance, than this book is for you!
I received free review copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving this revi
KayBee's  Bookshelf
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This second chance romance was a quick fun read. Imagine if your life mirrored All My Children or Knots Landing. Yeah, I just aged myself. Well, that is what is going on with this cute story.
Gabby, who has no idea what she wants to do with herself, and eventually lands a job as an extra. A job where she bumps into her crush. Amid the bed-hopping, amnesia, and diva behavior is a cute romance delivered with sarcastic humor, a fun supporting cast, and few twists.
If you enjoy today's reality tv dr
Melanie Durrell
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gabby is hilarious! I love the situations that she gets into. All the community courses .... the CPR course especially. The career she switches to in the end may come out of left field, but at the same time, it makes complete sense.

I loved all the other characters around Gabby as well. Each seemed more ridiculous than the one before. Not a good book to read on public transit unless you don't mind the weird looks when you start laughing out loud.
Katherine Cowley
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance
I had intended to read a couple chapters as a break, and then I read the entire book in one sitting. This was a clever, engaging romance story as the main character attempts to figure out her life after losing yet another job. She ends up as an extra on a soap opera, and I liked that she has never aspired to be an actress--and by the end of the book she still doesn't aspire to that life style. Lots of twists and turns and hilarious pandemonium ensues throughout. And a great love story. :-)
Susanne
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a fan of first person, but this book worked. I liked the quirky, clumsy, don't-know-where-she's-heading main character, and I really enjoyed that the romance wasn't all about that instant attraction because she's beautiful. Gabby is caring, in a slightly scatty way, as she stumbles through job after job trying to work out what she wants to do with her life.
An interesting cast of secondary characters too.
Recommended.
I'm interested in reading more by these authors.
Gin
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I liked the pace and the balance between humour and seriousness. Yes, it's a romance book, but it's also about Gabby growing, discovering what she wants to do with her life, and realizing it's ok that it took her a little longer than some other people. She also discovers that even if people appear to have everything together and figured out, that might not actually be the case. I look forward to reading the rest of the series!
Tanya
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
her life is not good while her room mate is on the up and even getting a job inn a tv sitcom. She is surprised but glad when she gets a job as an extra in the show. her life is on the up. Will it carry on going up? Will she get what she wants? Follow her journey

Jessica
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I ended up staying up way too late to read this in one night! Gabby was hilarious without being pretentious, and I loved the friendship between her and Anna-Marie. I felt like the character development and relationships were thoughtful and the writing was really clever. I'm excited that the next book is already out.
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's an easy read and the characters and plot are engaging. I read it whilst I was in holiday and it was a perfect book for that. You really feel for the characters and there are a couple of twists along the way. Perfect for anyone who likes a good chick lit that's a bit different for its genre.
Donna Hartley-Nelson
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just loved the characters in this book! They are just so quirky and fun. I wasn’t expecting much from this book but I was so wrong. I became completely involved in their lives and stayed awake too long dying to know what was going on next. A light and fun read that will make you giggle and tug on your heartstrings. Looking forward to reading more of these books.

• Talk to Me
  • Rugged
  • The Marriage Pledge (Veils and Vows, #5)
  • A Touch of Cinnamon (Three Sisters Catering, #2)
  • Secret Acquisitions (Bad Boy Capital, #1)
  • Work in Progress (Cook County, #1)
  • The Convenient Cowboy (The Hansen Brothers #2)
  • Coming Home (Texas Sisters, #2)
  • Small-Town Secrets (Door County #1)
  • In With the Tide (Cape Cod Shore Book 1)
  • Flirting with Forever (Island Bliss, #1)
  • The Keys to my Diary: Marina
  • Love on the Boardwalk (Cinnamon Bay, #1)
  • Just Friends (The Agency #1)
  • I Temporarily Do
  • Love Me, Cowgirl (The Gallaghers of Montana #2; The 78th Copper Mountain Rodeo #4)
  • Finding Christmas (Holly Point, NY, #2)
  • Taming The Texas Cowboy (Forever Texan, #1)
Megan Walker lives in Utah with her husband, two kids, and two dogs-all of whom are incredibly supportive of the time she spends writing about romance and crazy Hollywood hijinks. She loves making Barbie dioramas and reading trashy gossip magazines (and, okay, lots of other books and magazines, as well.) Megan has also written several published fantasy and science-fiction stories under the name Me ...more

The Extra (4 books)
  • The Girlfriend Stage (The Extra Series, #2)
  • Everything We Are (The Extra Series, #3)
  • The Jenna Rollins Real Love Tour (The Extra Series, #4)