Start by marking “Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn” as Want to Read:
Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn

Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Providing technical guidance as well as fun, creative patterns, this resource tackles handpainted yarns, identifying the many challenges--and many opportunities--they provide for knitting socks. Focusing on how to make the most of these much-loved yarns, it explains how to design projects with hand-dyed material versus other types of yarns, how to avoid the pitfalls of poo ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn

Aimee
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Many of the designs don't seem to accommodate the quirkiness of hand painted yarn at all.
Tonileg
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
I love knitting socks.
Quick simple two skein (max!) projects that are easy to carry around all my travels around the world and the security at the airport don't give me trouble with my tiny 4 inch double pointed needles like straight needles (yes, I have a story about that!).
So I after buying some random hand-painted yarn in South America and from the Alps, I was ready for some patterns that work with fun brightly colored hand-painted yarn. This is a great book if you like colorful socks. There
Ashley
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a well organized knitting book. Sulcoski explains how handpainted yarn can have a mind of it's own. There are over 20 patterns to choose from- with suggestions on what sort of handpainted may look best (bold- muted- monochromatic). I gave this book, 4 stars because I haven't tried the patterns (They seem clear- and I haven't found too much errata listed) and I've noticed many of the patterns use Koigu (KPPPM)- which I find to be one of the least "pooling" yarns- so I wonder how it will w ...more
Heather
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Chevy, the sock on the cover, has a *terribly* written pattern, and I've knit, uh, a LOT of socks. Even noting the errata didn't help. Copper Penny is not; it's very good and makes an attractive sock.

The discussion at the beginning of the book is quite useful for those questioning usage of handpainted yarn and how to achieve or avoid certain effects.
Danielle
Nov 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting, crafts
This book was definitely worth reading once. There are a few really good, innovative patterns, but I was rather dissapointed by most of the patterns. So, since the library has it, I don't need to buy it.
Kelly Gingras
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was worth reading just for the information about knitting with handpainted yarns and matching a yarn to a pattern. I'm looking forward to trying the patterns, too, as they are interesting but not too busy.
Kristine
beautiful sock patterns and great examples of handpainted yarn. I particularly like the following patterns:
-punctuated rib socks
-whirlpool socks (nice use of beads)
-chevvy, I added this to my ravelry queue
-switcheroo socks with nice eyelets
Martine
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knit-and-crochet
great patterns
Margit
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Haven't knit anything from it yet, but I read through it and it has good advice for choosing patterns for handpainted yarns and avoiding pooling. I'm adding a number of the patterns to my queue.
Sheila
746.432 SULCOSKI
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques and Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Knitting Vintage Socks
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • The Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Inspired to Knit: Creating Exquisite Handknits
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting 24/7: 30 Projects to Knit, Wear, and Enjoy, On the Go and Around the Clock
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Folk Shawls: 25 knitting patterns and tales from around the world (Folk Knitting series)
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Traditional Scandinavian Knitting