Start by marking “Communion with God” as Want to Read:
Communion with God

Communion with God (Works of John Owen #2)

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  526 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
In 1657, John Owen produced one of his finest devotional treatises (probably originating from the substance of a series of sermons). He examines the Christians communion with God as it relates to all three members of the Trinity. He assures us that every Christian does have communion with God, no one is excluded and that this communion takes place distinctly with Father, S ...more
Published March 1st 1992 by Banner of Truth (first published 1657)

To ask other readers questions about Communion with God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Communion with God

Wow. This book left me undone in the presence and goodness of God and gave me new perspectives and a deeper understanding of the essence and beating heart of the Christian life: Communion with God.
I re-read each chapter several times, one I even read six times, just to soak in the truth. I wept for joy and wept for repentance to realize my blessings and misappropriation of the blessedness of communion with the Holy Trinity.

I have never read a book so full of references to the scripture, and to t
Matt Rose
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to reread this book every couple years, it's that good. It seems like one of those books that is so rich you lean something new every time you read it.
Michael Kraus
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible and thorough insight into the relationship the triune God has initiated with His creation, man in particular, and especially His people. Owen is clear-thinking and undistracted (or at least, if he goes on a tangent he lets you know). The language of his arguments is precise and scholarly.

He is quite redundant, which can be both a good and a bad thing. Most of the book is a highly exposited outline while some sections are clearly areas he is more comfortable with and seem to be better
David Robertson
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional, theology
One of my regrets in reading this book (vol 2 of his works) is that I did not read it sooner – especially the first half of the book (the latter is a defence of the first part against some who were obviously disputing against it). There is great insight and depth in Owen’s teaching – but most of all there is this wonderful meditation on the love of Christ. I have written a fuller review with extensive quotations here -

Jacob Aitken
Owen gives us a dense, thorough, yet manageable snapshot, not only of Reformed prolegomena, but of Trinitarian piety as well. Given the current (if overblown) popularity of the YRR crowd--who know not Turretin nor his principia--yet strangely seek Owen, Owen can give them a taste of proper Reformed theologomena. In many ways, this can function as a primer to systematic theology. So here it goes:

Basic definitions:

communion: A mutual communication of such good things grounded upon some union (Owen
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I have only read the sections on communion with the Father and the Son so far. But I have every expectation of enjoying the rest, and it's a book I will definitely want to own eventually.
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: puritan
What can you say? It's John Owen, a giant among Puritan theologians. All of his books are packed with doctrine and application, and this one is no exception. Not a book you can read once; you should read it several times.
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also read in August 2012.
John Weis
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: puritan, 2017
Communion with the Triune God - John Owen

The introduction from Kelly M. Kapic is quite helpful, allowing the reader to map Owen's unique thought and balance of doctrine and application.

Of Communion with the Father

Third, they differ in this also: The love of God is like himself — equal, constant, not capable of augmentation or diminution; our love is like our selves — unequal, increasing, waning, growing, declining. His, like the sun, always the same in its light, though a cloud may sometime

Richard Minor
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
In one sense I could just say, of course this book was's John Owen. But really there's more to it than that. He breaks down the basis and application of our "Communion With God" with the deep doctrine you always find in John Owen. It was also written in a way that touched my soul. Not only was Owen telling me the basis of my communion with God, but he was also emphasizing that this has been purchased through the work of Christ and the importance of my own seeking after communion with ...more
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Owen is a master! He lays out the full truth of God's Word with authority and without hesitation.
(But take note: this is the abridged version -- All those in the Puritan Paperbacks collection are abridged.)
I've read this book a couple times now, with great benefit. And I plan to read it again soon, (but this time I will attempt to tackle the unabridged version).
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: internship
Writing a longer review for church internship. In short, excellent. Could be improved with some restraint in using the Song of Solomon.
Nate Weis
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Owen’s writing always informs my mind and warms my heart simultaneously.
Keifer Navey
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is John Owen at his best. Great book for anyone looking to study the Trinity.
Benjamin Thompson
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, why do people read Max Lucado when there is John Owen?! He is as readable as he is deeply theological! If you want to understand the importance of the Trinity for the Christian life (so basically if you call yourself a Christian) read this book!
Dec 02, 2007 rated it liked it
It was doctrinally rich and insightful.

Poignant Quotes:

"The Father knows that his people can bring no greater hurt to his loving heart than to have such hard thoughts of him."

"Sin brought infinite punishment because it was committed against an infinite God. Christ, being the infinite God in human nature, could suffer the infinite punishment that the sinner deserved. An so, by this personal union in Christ we are saved."

"To encourage our hearts to give themselves up more fully to the Lord Jesus C
Michael Kenan  Baldwin
Frustrating at times, deeply insightful at others, and at others yet profoundly moving and emotive. Tears were shed!
Kevin Morse
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! A word of warning though: his writing style can be challenging. I read somewhere (I think J.I. Packer said this) that Owen writes English with Latin syntax. There is a pretty simple cure though, if you're willing to do it. Read the book out loud to yourself! I found that I was able to not only follow the arguments easily, but to really enjoy Owen's style when I started reading out loud.

This book is well worth reading though, simply because Owen does a very good job of lifting
Ben Chidester
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
No work I have yet read has had such a profound impact on both my theological understanding of God and my devotion to Him. In this work, Owen expounds upon how we hold communion with God (both in our communing with Him and His communing with us) both as the one God and yet distinctly through the three persons of the Trinity. Many of the truths I had a shallow understanding of before, but Owen expounds upon them to such a moving depth, entreating us earnestly to the love of God communicated to us ...more
Feb 06, 2017 added it
This book delivers rich, sound and practical theology. Deal with it.
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an academic, well-researched, yet accessible version of John Owen's classic work. But don't be fooled - it's not easy reading. Truth be told, I probably should have read the Puritan Paperback version ( first as it is an abridged paraphrase.

Regardless, Communion with the Triune God is worth the investment and will find a home on my bookshelf. It's one of those that serve me well over the next several years.

Highly recommended, especially for the ac
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful. As one pastor has pointed out, most people who encounter Owen (which is a small enough number anyway) encounter him through either Mortification of Sin or The Death of Death in the Death of Christ, the former of which was written for high-school age students, and the latter as a polemic against Arminians, and because of that they miss out on the true depth of Owen's devotional thought. Having read this, I heartily agree.
Brian Moon
Wonderfully rich. Really difficult to read. Owen seems to look at his sentences and decide "why use 10 words when I can use 17!" And then he tosses them out of order and sprinkles liberally with commas.

That said, it is a wonderfully rich book. I found the section on communion with the Father and his love for us tremendously helpful.

(I should note that I was reading this with a 9 month old, so some of the difficulties in comprehension may lie with her.)
Nathan Douthit
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. A difficult read, but this edition's outline at the beginning of the book makes it much easier to follow the line of thought throughout the text. Worthwhile, the sections on Song of Songs is a little long, but a helpful consideration of that text. Does a great job of emphasizing unity of God without sacrificing the distinctives of the Trinity. Practical and pastoral but not losing theological weight of the subject.
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: puritans
This is an excellent book on the doctrine of the Trinity and what it means for a believer to have fellowship with God. It is not an easy read (to say the least)… it is often necessary to take a break after reading a single paragraph just to try to take in everything that was said in the paragraph. This is excellent theology and a classic work.
G Walker
Tried to wade through this one several times, found Kapic and Taylors edition to be much more accessible. See my notes from _Communion with the Triune God_. Also like Christian Focus' version, Communion with God: Fellowship with Father, Son and Holy Spirit as its formating is quite nice and much more accessible.
Scott Korljan
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Owen is not easy to read, and I have been slowly working through this treatise since January. However, if your wiling to make the effort, he offers an incredible combination of theological precision with pastoral application. This is an important topic and he wrestles with questions that are still incredibly relevant today.
Ryan Wolfe
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal book. Doxological the whole way through. Provokes one to worship with almost every page turn. Cannot recommend this book too highly. It is not a book on prayer per se, but it has affected my prayer life more than any other book outside the Bible.
Alex Houston
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though it's slow going, this book is incredible. I've just gotten through the section on the Father and it was extremely edifying. Owen was a theological giant and any time spent with him will be fruitful indeed.
Jan 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Owen discusses communion with each Person of the Trinity. The bulk of the book addresses communion with Jesus Christ. I read it rather quickly and did a preliminary outline intending to re read it in the future.
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Existence and Attributes of God
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • For the Love of God: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word
  • Prayer
  • Dynamics of Spiritual Life
  • The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way
  • A Quest for Godliness
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God
John Owen was an English theologian and "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)
More about John Owen...

Works of John Owen (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Glory of Christ
  • The Holy Spirit
  • Faith and Its Evidences (Works of John Owen, Volume 5)
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
  • Sin and Grace (Works of John Owen, Volume 7)
  • Sermons To The Nation (Works Of John Owen, Volume 8)
  • Sermons to the Church (Works of John Owen, Volume 9)
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • Continuing in the Faith (Works of John Owen, Volume 11)
  • The Gospel Defended (Works of John Owen, Volume 12)
“The greatest sorrow and burden you can lay on the Father, the greatest unkindness you can do to him is not to believe that he loves you.” 30 likes
“The love of God is like himself – equal, constant, not capable of augmentation or diminution; our love is like ourselves – unequal, increasing, waning, growing, declining. His, like the sun, always the same in its light, though a cloud may sometimes interpose; ours, as the moon, has its enlargements and straightenings.” 13 likes