Start by marking “Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)

Sapphique

(Incarceron #2)

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  21,032 ratings  ·  1,857 reviews
The only one who escaped... and the one who could destroy them all.

Incarceron, the living prison, has lost one of its inmates to the outside world: Finn's escaped, only to find that Outside is not at all what he expected. Used to the technologically advanced, if violently harsh, conditions of the prison, Finn is now forced to obey the rules of Protocol, which require all p
Published September 18th 2008 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Sapphique, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Megan Elizabeth
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,032 ratings  ·  1,857 reviews

Charlotte May
When rereading an old fave doesn't go to plan and you actually end up disappointed! :(

"He'd never wept in a cell with his mind torn away, never laid awake at night hearing the screams of children. He's not me. He's never been taunted by the prison."

I loved Incarceron, I thought it was clever, and I found the plot engaging and addicting. I couldn't wait to jump into book 2.

********SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN'T READ INCARCERON!!!!!*************

Claudia and Finn are outside, attempting to reinstat
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
I give this about a B/B- - somewhere in between "Pretty good" and "Very nice".

This book was pretty good. I think I enjoyed it more than Incarceron, pretty much because I was familiar enough with the basic storyline and didn’t have to spend so much time figuring everything out. The pacing was pretty good, but the last 100 pages really, REALLY dragged…and it got to the point where I came dangerously close to not caring anymore…that’s not usually a good sign.

And yet…

I don’t want to make it sound
Jessica

I swear that people simply must not get this series (I say “series” hopefully, because for right now it looks like there will only be the two books). I don’t mean that in some kind of pretentious, exclusive way, it’s just my only rationalization for why both books are only thisclose to being 4 stars. Are the wrong people reading them? Are people going in with certain, um, expectations and not feeling that they’re met? Do people just not want to do any real thinking?

I really need to stop sounding
R.J.
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
rachel
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi-fantasy, own, 2011
Sometimes when I'm sitting on the couch at night reading, loopy with exhaustion, I look over at my cats and start thinking about how weird it is that they're sentient beings who have feelings and communicate in ways that I will never understand. Then I pass out with my book on my face. But if you are like me and have a hard enough time grasping animal consciousness, then you will probably also have a hard time taking seriously the idea that a prison is not only a sentient being but wants to buil ...more
Heather
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, my-scifi-pics
I was so interested to read the follow-up to Incarceron that I ordered the UK version of Sapphique so I wouldn't have to wait until December to find out what happened to Finn and Claudia (and c'mon, having a UK edition is pretty cool, too).

MILD SPOILERS:

In Fisher's sequel, Finn's been sprung out of one prison and into another -- as future king of the Realm, he's trapped in all the usual politicking. He still can't remember his past life as Prince Giles, and he's plagued by memories (Keiro, trap
Leigh Hecking
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
Megan Baxter
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I gave the first book in this series a bit of a light ride, because I was intrigued by the ideas, and thank goodness, it was something different in a mass of fantasy books that were decidedly running together. So although there were things left unexplained, relationships that seemed strained, I hoped those would be delved into in greater depth in later volumes, and let it pass. Unfortunately, the second book doesn't resolve any of the problems, and seems to be the end of the series, so, where am ...more
Ashley Daviau
I'm a little unsure how I feel about this book. I did enjoy some parts, especially the steam punk element. But a lot of it had me feeling very meh. I still did enjoy the concept and the twists and turns that kept me guessing just like with the first book. But the ending left me feeling very unsatisfied. In a way I feel like instead of wrapping up the series, this book left me with more questions than it answered.
Nora
This was one of the most amazing books I have read in a long time. Let me start by saying that Fisher is a true wordsmith. Her prose is always lyrical and just so so lovely. It's been a long time since I've read such quotable and enjoyable writing.

The plot moved much more quickly in this book than it did in the first, and I was grateful for that. At the same time, there were parts with no real plot, but not one of these scenes felt unnecessary or boring or out of place. Each of them contributed
Bry
So yeah - I gave up. This book was a complete let down after how amazing the first book Incarceron was. But sadly my copy was due back at the library and considering I hadn't picked it back up in over a week and a half I figured I would rather spend my time reading books I am still interested in.

This book's worst problem (just as in the first book) was characterization. All of the characters were like cardboard cutouts. They told you a story but I didn't get any feeling from it. Not to mention F
Mel (Epic Reading)
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-print
I found this series, starting with Incarceron to have so many great themes. There are English and psych papers abound to be written on this series.
It's mysterious, dark, sweet and bittersweet all at the same time.
If you came away not liking this series then I'd say you likely missed out on the point:
A prison can be made up of so many things. It doesn't necessarily have to have walls nor an exit.
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked Incarceron
Shelves: ya, books-i-own, sci-fi
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I reviewed Incarceron a few weeks back and, although I didn't like it, I already had a copy of the ARC. Sapphique was not better than the first book in the series, but it was easier for me to get through, perhaps because I had much lower expectations. All of my problems with the first book still remain here.

The characters, all of them, are pretty much entirely unlikeable. Jared, Claudia's tutor, is the character I most liked, but the reader has known since the beginning of book one that he has a
Kate (KayvaJuice)
Lucijaa
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than the first one, but it was hard for me to get into the story in the beginning. But once when I got into the story, I couldn't stop reading.

Keiro was my top character again, his personality and his atitudes were the best part of the book. I have to congratulate Catherine for getting him out of the prison. But Attia could've stayed in the prison, because I dislike her a lot.

The whole perfect world everyone was living in started falling apart, and I liked that. We final
Beth
I still don't love these books. I think the story line is very interesting but the characters just aren't "something" enough - there is no one to really hate or love or pull for, so i don't have the connection. I also don't think there is enough back story. Why are they in this artificial time and what was the war about? It is mentioned but no real details.
Kira Simion
Sep 29, 2015 marked it as to-read
Someone want to buy this for me? 0-0
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
This just wasn't as good as the first.

I liked how Keiro and Attia were still trapped in the prison, so we weren't cut off from its awesomeness entirely, but somehow it didn't feel as interesting in this one. The character of Rix was pretty annoying and he thorougly grossed me out. I did like how Keiro and Attia stayed together, even though he claimed not to like her, you can tell he does.

What annoyed me was the lack of character development. Keiro, Attia, Claudia, and Finn all stay exactly the
Emilie
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this book. I had mixed feelings after reading Incarceron and thought maybe one needed to read the conclusion of this series in order to really get it. So, I special ordered Sapphique from the UK, since it won't be published in the US for another few months. What a huge let down this installment was!! This book made me feel like I must be some kind of idiot, because I just didn't get it! I am usually very quick to pick up on what's happening in the plots of books. I stil ...more
Catarina Miranda
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it
4.5 stars, I must say.
Okay, so... I'm still in shock... I'm still trying to figure this all out...
Well, I'm not going to write a review about this book, because I barely remember anything, since it took so long for me to finish it. However, if I were to write something, I would say something like this...
First of all, WHAT AN AMAZING (although not exactly satisfying) ENDING! Incredible! Since that moment when "the truth about the both worlds was revealed", I just loved this book! It showed so ma
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved Incarceron, and perhaps had too high hopes for Sapphique... it's a good sequel, but not a great sequel. Part of that may have been my hope that it would be more like Fire was to Graceling than an addition to the original story - there's no reason for me to have thought that just wishing.

Anyway, Sapphique picks up shortly after Finn Escapes to Outside, with Claudia and Jared trying to figure out how to work the Portal and Sia trying to prove that Finn is not Prince Giles; Inside, Keiko an
Sarah Heartburn
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Terry Brooks
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This month I am going to recommend another young adult fantasy contained in a two book set - INCARCERON and SAPPHIQUE by Catherine Fisher. In these stories, we follow the efforts of three prisoners held captive in a prison as large as an entire world to find a way out. Only one man has ever escaped, and he has become a legend to the prison populace. On the outside of the prison, the daughter of the Warden - who tends to the prison and its population - attempts to discover the secret of Incarcero ...more
♠️ TABI ♠️
Whoa. I wish this series was a trilogy instead of a duology, but *sigh* I guess I shall have to make do with these two books. Just, seriously...wow. I loved it. This book ramps up from where Incarceron left off, with just as much intrigue, twisting plot, and phenomenal characters. And then, oh, that ending! Wow. Took me a few times of "Wait...what???" to get it, but when I did, I had this stupid grin and a feeling of something close to dizziness. What a plot twist!

So yes, I am most absolutely i
Aimee Meester
I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT

*screams quietly*
Francine
I wanted to wait until I'd read both Incarceron and Sapphique before I wrote my review. While each book stands on its own, I had to see where the story went (after finishing Incarceron) and how I felt about it.

Let me preface this by saying I didn't not like the book. If Goodreads allowed half stars for rating, I would've rated both as 2.5s. Personally, I thought Catherine Fisher was quite innovative in creating a Matrix-steam-punk-YA mash-up: in some future time, because of all the wars and rebe
Anna W.
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
[This review covers both books in the Incarceron series.]

Age Group: YA (utterly gratuitous mature language; mild graphic violence)
Pages: 448, 480
Rating: Idea 5★; Execution 2★
Genre: dystopia, sci-fi, & (some) fantasy with overtones of steampunk

Total: ★★1/2

Claudia lives in The Realm—a place where an Era of Victorianesque habit and aesthetic is enforced by a malevolent monarchy. She dreams only of escape from the life that has been planned for her. Her only solace is her tutor, Jared, who has
Anja
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.75/5
The idea is brilliant. Idea of worlds so similar, but so different. Connected and yet so far away. The whole concept of it was amazing and I wish it was more explored. I wish characters were more developed and I wish they weren't as flat and honestly a bit emotionless. The ending was a bit rushed too and it was very bittersweet. I did like this duology in most parts, but I feel like the idea was better than the execution. I am not mad at it, but it has so much potential it's a pity that it
Arminzerella
Were you disappointed with the point that nobody 'ended up together' in Sapphique? Which pair do you support and why? 21 220 Jan 02, 2019 09:44PM
bugs 1 7 Dec 04, 2016 05:44AM
Jared... at the end? And is Sapphique... 3 38 Mar 05, 2015 02:57PM
Attia and Keiro? 6 68 Jan 10, 2015 12:34AM
so sapphique was.....? 3 43 Oct 05, 2014 08:38PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. MG steampunk? NYTimes recent bestseller? [s] 6 40 May 28, 2014 08:27PM

• Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Ascendant (Killer Unicorns, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Grace
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Fever Crumb (Fever Crumb, #1)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3)
  • The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)
  • The Nightmare Garden (Iron Codex, #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Rip Tide (Dark Life, #2)
  • Everfound (Skinjacker, #3)
  • Away (The Line, #2)
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • Wintercraft (Wintercraft, #1)
  • Rebirth (Aftertime, #2)
  • Nightspell (Mistwood, #2)
Catherine Fisher was born in Newport, Wales. She graduated from the University of Wales with a degree in English and a fascination for myth and history. She has worked in education and archaeology and as a lecturer in creative writing at the University of Glamorgan. She is a Fellow of the Welsh Academy.

Catherine is an acclaimed poet and novelist, regularly lecturing and giving readings to groups o

Incarceron (2 books)
  • Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)
“Once Incarceron became a dragon, and a Prisoner crawled into his lair. They made a wager. They would ask each other riddles, and the one who could not answer would lose. It it was the man, he would give his life. The Prison offered a secret way of Escape. But even as the man agreed, he felt its hidden laughter.
They played for a year and a day. The lights stayed dark. The dead were not removed. Food was not provided. The Prison ignored the cries of its inmates.
Sapphique was the man. He had one riddle left. He said, "What is the Key that unlocks the heart?"
For a day Incarceron thought. For two days. For three. Then it said, "If I ever knew the answer, I have forgotten it."
--Sapphique in the Tunnels of Madness”
33 likes
“The Stars.
Jared slept beneath them, uneasy in the rustling leaves.

From the battlements Finn gazed up at them, seeing the impossible distances between galaxies and nebulae, and thinking they were not as wide as the distances between people.

In the study Claudia sensed them, in the sparks and crackles on the screen.

In the prison, Attia dreamt of them, She sat curled on the hard chair, Rix repacking his hidden pockets obsessively with coins and glass discs and hidden handkerchiefs.

A single spark flickered deep in the coin Keiro spun and caught, spun and caught.”
31 likes