Start by marking “Dragonseer (Secicao Blight Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Dragonseer (Secicao Blight Book 1)

Dragonseer

(Secicao Blight #1)

Secicao. A powerful drug of immeasurable power and value, but one that is also destroying the planet.

Pontopa Wells is an uncompromising entrepreneur with a dragon and a secicao operation in the Southlands. When she is contracted by King Cini, to incorporate her business with that of the conceited Faso Gordoni, she is initially unsure of her one-time rival.

Then, a meeting w
Published April 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Dragonseer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonseer

Start your review of Dragonseer (Secicao Blight Book 1)
Frank Geimer
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel is an outstanding example of a well thought out plot and a well-defined world. The characters will seem real and you will feel like part of the story. I loved it and think you will too.
NoNo JoJo
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Preface: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Actual rating: 2.5 stars
Explicit content: The first 2/3rds are pretty clean, but the last takes a hard left turn and becomes pretty sexually charged

This book is kinda a mess, and it became a chore to get through. At the outset, it seems pretty simple. Our heroine likes dragons, our hero likes automatons. These two things are opposed in this world, but they have to work together on a project for the king (purifying a sp
Deborah
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marissa
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
Dragonseer is the first installment in a steampunk fantasy series about dragons and an imagined world where economies are driven by a drug called secicao. Pontopa has a valued skillset as one of the most successful distributors of secicao. She is forced to partner with a man who also has this skillset and a horrible reputation to go with it. Throw in her favorite author and mentor and she finds that she has a special gift as a dragonseer and uncovers the horrible truth about secicao and its impa ...more
Russell Fletcher
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite a surprise. I had no idea where the story was going to go next. I love Dragons, of course, and the Dragons here are depicted very well. The plot is very intricate with lots of twists and turns. The writing is excellent and easy to read. The pacing of the story is well done with each event building up to the next one. There characters are well written and you get a sense of their motivations very quickly all while the writer continues to build their personalities for you. The ...more
sherri jones-teachout
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very powerful and moving. An analogy of what we humans might be doing to our Earth.
Pontopo was raised believing that the secicao oil from the secicao tree was a wonderful elixir that improved a person's abilities, and made the King's army stronger. She and her dragon Velos have been harvesting and making the oil for the King. The King demands that she work with Faso, a pompous inventor, to improve harvesting and production of the secicao. But then she meets someone from Faso's past who tells the
The Mysterious Reader
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chris Behrsin’s Dragonseer (Secicao Blight Book 1) is exactly what it’s advertised to be, a “Rip-roaring” steampunk fantasy adventure. I loved the world-building here, with its dragons (and dragonseers and the “collective unconscious”), airships, automatons, drug-fueled battles and so much more. Add in a neat cast, from Pontopa Wells (gotta love that name) on down (special credit to big bad drug lord King Cini (again, what name), and an imaginative and well-written plot. The result is definitely ...more
Janet
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Good story. A lot of depth to it. The story feels heavy with time to me. A sorrow and also worry for the future. There is some happiness. There will be more books to explain more. If you like books about history in the making, war to achieve it and heroes who come from the bad times then you will love this one.
To me this series would be a better movie. Like they did with "Lord of the Rings" but make two movies for each book. Or better yet a series that would last for a couple of years or so. T
Robert Williscroft
If you wish an example of a well-written well-edited book, go no further. If you are looking for a dragon fantasy that will not insult your intelligence, this is it. If you crave airships, tweed suits, and the other accouterments of steampunk, you will find it in spades in Dragonseer. Here’s the thing—I read Dragonseer on the recommendation of a friend. I don't even like fantasy or steampunk, but Behrsin hooked me nicely and coiled me right into his fascinating world.

If you want to discover some
Pamela Marrs
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ten and up
Recommended to Pamela by: StoryOrigins
I received a copy of this book for a review. I must say that this book is intriguing, fun, fast paced, action packed, with loads of dry humor. There are three aquaintences that later become friends and Dragons! One special Dragon called Velos and a vengfull king named Cini II, who is out to cause trouble for the friends and the rebel groups. There's crazy automatons, a ferret autamotan that likes to stun its targets and seems to have a .ins of its own, and a plant that is harvested to be turned ...more
Gayreth Walden
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Terrific" !

A mix of Steampunk, Fantasy and Dragons.... King Cini, a monarch with a specific agenda, puts Pontopa Wells and Faso Gordoni under contract to supply him with Secicao. If the two rivals can find a way to work together, they just might be able to fulfill the contract. But if they do, will they be helping to destroy the planet?... The way the author tells this story and blends automation with dragons is fascinating to me. The book is well written with an interesting plot and moves at a
Wayne Scace
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**** SPOILER ALERT ****
This is not your typical tale of dragon's and their companions and enemies.
"Dragonseer"is my first introduction to Behrsin's writing. This "taste" of the author's writing has left me hungry for more!
Behrsin does an excellent job of world building and I was drawn in to that world very quickly.
As we follow Pontopa's progress through this action packed and thought provoking story learning about her innate talents and true purpose in life.
I strongly recommend this book.
In the
Lorella Piras
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dragonseer by Chris Behrsin s a wonderful story to read. This is the begining of this series and writen by a brand new author for me to read and fall in love with. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about fantasy, dragons and Steampunck.

This is a superbly written story in a compelling and complex world with well developed and interesting characters.

I received this book from the author via StoryOrigin as a review copy for a fair and honest review and I am voluntarily leav
Kristy Halseth
I received this as an advanced reading copy.

The story isn't a bad idea. The blend of dragons with steampunk isn't that bad either. Writing or editing could be better. I don't usually expect an ARC to be that polished but when I discover later books are already out then I expect it should have been fixed by now. The weakest point is that I didn't really like any of the main characters that much and I felt like I had to plow through it. Overall, the best I can say is Meh.
Hollyann
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
All books start in a place where you don't know the characters and the world, and so it takes a bit of effort before you get over that hump. In this case, I never felt that I got over the hump. None of the characters were truly three-dimensional and the world seemed on the brink of fully-realized. I think with a few more drafts, this could be a good story. But right now it's all very surface-level and unfortunately it was a slog to get through.
Mark J. McArthur
This is a marvelous tale of dragons and the women who bond with them and sing their emotions. Pontopa Wells has grown up with a colored dragon, and raiding the south lands to gather secaciao to support her family. Suddenly, she is involved in a battle of the royals and learning she has a destiny she never expected.
Sue Ellis
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a new author for me so started reading with interest, although it jumped around a little once I got involved in the story-line and the challenges the main character is presented with, I couldn't out it down until I finished it, will now be waiting for the next stage of this story to be published. As a dedicated McCaffrey fan, I can recommend getting to know another breed of dragon.
David St. Lawrence
Coming Of Age As A Dragonseer

A charming tale in the steam punk genre. Chris Behrsin has created a world full of dragons and magic and populated it with characters we can identify with. I could not put this book down!
Carol Brandon
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this steampunk dragon adventure. There is a threat against the world, a young dragonrider coming into her own, a king who is really a puppet-king … Looking forward to see how the dragonrider grows and if she can stop the threat …. I received a free copy of this book, with no obligation.
Dawn Milligan
I took a chance on this series its not my normal genre but I enjoyed it so far it is well written and has some good characters. I would recommend checking it out

Lori
Jan 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Received as a review copy, this is an honest review. It was the how this story was structured that really prevented me from truly enjoying this book. Really sucks because the characters were finely described and I liked the action that was happening.
Debbie Eyre
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fab steampunk fantasy adventure read filled with action, battles, romance, twists and turns and best of all, dragons! The world building is amazing and the storyline gripping and I found myself totally immersed in this tale!
Maurice Jones
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful "steampunk" novel with originality,good world-building and characters and a action-fueled,harrowing story! This one is recommended,and I already have next book in this series ready to read.
Saurabh Lal
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first steampunk I've ever read and the author did not disappoint me. The writing and editing are extremely good and world building leaves you spellbound. A complex story but enjoyable
Mary T
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good
This well written story was captivating. This is a new genre for me and was very enjoyable. This first book in the series was great and I am looking forward to the second book.
Christina
rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2020
Sasha
May 27, 2019

• To Kill a Fae (The Dragon Portal Book 1)
  • Singular (Quantum Gate #1)
  • A King's Bargain (Legend of Tal #1)
  • Stella of Akrotiri: Diana
  • The Hope for Dragonhold (King's Fall, #1)
  • A Taste of Your Own Magic (Agents of A.S.S.E.T. #2)
  • Vampire Claim (Real Men of Othercross #2)
  • Vampire Seduction (Real Men of Othercross #1)
  • Vampire Siren (Real Men of Othercross #3)
  • Legally Undead (Vampirarchy, #1)
  • Awakened Abyss (Firebird Uncaged, #2)
  • Mirror Mage (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #2)
  • Bruja Born (Brooklyn Brujas, #2)
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Temple Chronicles #1)
  • Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #1)
  • Magic Ops (Federal Agents of Magic, #1)
  • The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1)
  • The Last Descendant (The Bloodprint Series Book 1)

Secicao Blight (2 books)