Start by marking “Before The Legend: The Rise Of Bob Marley” as Want to Read:
Before The Legend: The Rise Of Bob Marley

Before The Legend: The Rise Of Bob Marley

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  175 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Bob Marley was a reggae superstar, a musical prophet who brought the sound of the Third World to the entire globe. Before the Legend: The Rise of Bob Marley goes beyond the myth of Marley to bring you the private side of a man few people ever really knew. Drawing from original interviews with the people closest to Marley – including his widow, Rita, his mother, Cedella, hi ...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by Amistad (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Before The Legend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before The Legend

Martha
Feb 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Although it gives some insights into the daily life and struggle of Bob Marley, I felt that I learned more about the Jamaican music industry than I did the actual man in question.
Jason
Nov 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
As the title states this book is primarily about the early days and beginning of Bob Marley's musical career. Fans of Marley know most of this information already but it's still enjoyable to read.

The book starts with Bob being born in the country and his eventual relocation to Trenchtown. We read about his family roots and how he came to be interested in music with his friends. Eventually he formed the Wailers with them.

Some of the more fascinating information in the book is the revealing of B
Alicia
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm learning a lot about the development of music in Jamaica and about things that happened there when I was a child, a part of the country I didn't see but could only imagine: the politics on the street, the richness of Jamaicans' words & humour, etc. Some things are being confirmed for me, other things are fitting like pieces of the puzzle I hadn't known existed. I love it because I'm learning more about my country. And it's a bittersweet read for me.

As far as what I'm learning about Bob,
Mutassem Al Sharji
Being a huge fan of Bob Marley ever since, this book gave me insights of things I never knew before... understanding the culture of Jamaica and the early years background of Bob is a must to understand him in his later years of super stardom! I recommend it to everyone who is interested to know Bob as a a person and what made him what he was... I also recommend it to those who don't know nothing about him other than his song Buffalo soldier & that he never used to wash his hair (which was a ...more
Sabrina
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Bob Marley is one of the most influential singers and person in the world. This book is very well written because it chronicles Marley's experiences (and his band's experiences) trying to find supporters and funding.

It's humbling, because at the end of his life, Marley and the Wailers ended up with very little money...

I found the book unassumingly inspiring.
Chris brown
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
good subject matter but went off on to many different tangents. If you did not know anything about Robert or Jamaican history then this is good. If you just want to read about the man and his story buy something els
Eddie
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Breezy read and informative, but what put it over the top for me was Farley's insightfulness. He'll be in the middle of an anecdote and then pull out some philosophical point about who we are as human beings, and somehow it never feels stilted.
Thomas
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read this because my son recommended it. It's not very well written, but it's illuminating on the music industry in Jamaica and on Marley's early years. Maybe a little too much incense for my taste.
Irene
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Quick interesting read. I had totally underestimated Marley's greatness.Check it out.
Amanda Morrison
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
The auto was quite enamored with Bob, which makes telling his story quite one sided.
Jonny (longjon)
its the worst book ive ever read
Amelia
Sep 12, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really insightful biography, more like a story than a non-fiction book.
Dee
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Why did Bob Marley drive a BMW? (Bob Marley and the Wailers)!
Marty Hughes
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Good stuff.
Rushay Booysen
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
got alot of insight into bob's life and his struggles and what drove him to fame.It also made me see the aspects beyond the legend how human and frail he was
Bernice
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you want to know more about Robert nesta Marley and friends and also the history of Jamnica then read this!!!!!!!!!!!
Jaime
Jan 25, 2009 is currently reading it
Well, I AM going to Jamaica. Time to read up!
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this book to learn about Bob Marley's early days and the Jamaican music industry, but Farley's writing is sometimes repetitive with information and the chronology is sometimes unclear.
Matthew Scungio
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Bob Marley: The Untold Story
  • Marley and Me: The Real Bob Marley Story
  • Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G.
  • Bob Marley: My Son
  • Close to the Bone: Life-Threatening Illness as a Soul Journey
  • Tupac Shakur: The Life and Times of an American Icon
  • Twelve Days of Terror: A Definitive Investigation of the 1916 New Jersey Shark Attacks
  • Glenn Gould: The Ecstasy and Tragedy of Genius

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99