Start by marking “The Suspects” as Want to Read:
The Suspects

The Suspects

Shallow Grave meets The Secret History in this quirky psychological thriller.

When you're bound together by secrets and lies who do you trust?

Bristol, 1988.

Five young graduates on the threshold of their careers buy a house together in order to get a foot on the property ladder before prices spiral out of their reach. But it soon becomes the house share from hell.

After their
Published March 25th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Suspects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Suspects

Dash fan
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4☆ Gripping Murder Mystery with plenty of Juicy Twists!

The Suspects is a twisty who done it?, murder mystery. With the perfect Title!

A group of work colleagues who barely know each other move in together (which kind of rings alarm bells to me!)
But when they decide to throw a New Years Party they quickly discover it might of been a bad idea.
As they discover a body hidden in the house!
But who done it and why?
What should they do?
Call the police... the obvious choice....or... cover it up?
Think you
Sue
THE SUSPECTS is a psychological thriller by Katharine Johnson.

Bristol, 1988. Five young trainee journalists at a magazine publishing company in London, for financial reasons, made the decision to buy a house together, which soon proves to be a disaster!

The group of five are all different, two men (Stuart and Zak) and three women (Xanthe, Imogen and Emily-who narrates the story). All goes smooth until after their New Year’s Eve party, they discover a body in the basement, and they have to decide
Linda Strong
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

They number 5 ... 3 young ladies and 2 young men ... who have been chosen to participate in a program for budding reporters. They do not know each other, but for financial reasons, they decide to buy a house together.

All goes well for awhile ..... until

New Year's Eve they threw a party and fun was had by all. Until they discover a body in the basement.

No one seems to know who this man is .. but one thing is sudden, they will all be under suspicion if the police are notified. As each of
Nicki
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who could possibly have guessed that things would go badly wrong when five virtual strangers decide to buy a house together.

All Emily,Stuart,Zac,Imogen and Zanthe have in common is that they are trainee Journalists who work for the same company. Everything starts off ok and they seem to be getting along well enough as they learn to live with each other's different quirks. But then their lives are plunged into a living nightmare after they decide to throw a New Years Eve party.

A couple of days af
Edie Baylis
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story recounts what happened when five trainee journalists, who were working at the same company, decided to buy a house together to enable them to get a foot on the quickly escalating property ladder of the late 1980's in England.
Although very different people, the five of them - Emily (who narrates the story up until the present day), Stuart, Zak, Imogen and Xanthe, get on well enough to live with each others' differences and quirks, this changes....

A New Year's Eve party at their house b
beverley ann
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
loved this psychological thriller, it left me on tenderhooks reading through it. i was totally in suspence and found myself saying just one more chapter. five young students all have a past. this book is all about trust, and after a body is found the story begins. it will keep you gripped right till the end. very cleverly written by this author. its certainly a must read.
Yvonne Davies
As I started this story, my first thought was that the MCs were either brave or stupid to buy a house with 4 complete strangers. The only thing they had in common was that they were all trainee journalist working for the same company. The story starts off slowly as you are introduced to each of the MCs. The detailed descriptions enable you to get the know the characters in more detail and you soon realise how different each one was. Stuart was the bossy one, liked to be in charge and wanted ever ...more
jhanami
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Put together five very different house mates who barely know each other, an unexpected dead body and a bunch of sinister secrets in their pasts and you end up with a very entertaining, carefully plotted, well-written, twisty whodunnit, with interesting characters. Great read!
Pam Chantrell
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. Shallow Grave type weird flatmates. A good few twists and turns. Some of it stretched the realm of coincidence slightly as it wrapped up but the overall story overrode that. I'll be looking out more of her books as I enjoyed the style of writing as well as the story itself.
Emma-louise Smith
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I devoured it so quickly. I felt so invested in the characters and could totally see how a situation like the one presented could happen easily. Brilliant
Cristina Hodgson
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read. One of the best stories I've read in a long time! It had me guessing throughout. An intriguing story line with very strong, believable characters. I don't want to give anything away, so will just say this is a MUST read, you will not be disappointed! Congratulations Ms Johnson!
Grace J Reviewerlady
My first encounter with Katharine Johnson's writing - and it won't be my last!

Five young people, fresh from graduating, all take up positions training in their chosen profession. It's 1988, and their chances of owning their own homes are slim - so slim as to be barely noticeable. By pooling their  meagre resources they manage to get a mortgage on a large property badly in need of repair and so begins their lives in the 'real' world. However, their idyllic life together is threatened by the spira
Janice
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Suspects has Emma as its unreliable narrator accompanied by four other equally unlikeable characters, with barely a redeemable feature among them: Stuart, Zak, Imogen and Xanthe. It’s the late 80’s in Bristol. Not a great time to be young and trying to gain a foothold in the big wide world. Nevertheless, these five individuals are attempting it, albeit not very well.

They’re thrown together on a trainee program at a magazine publishing house and despite barely knowing each other, decide that
Pam Fox
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've never read anything by Katharine Johnson before but she's an author I'll be reading more of.
The book is the story of 5 people starting out with on the job training at a magazine publishing company in London. They decide to buy a house together though they don't really know much about each other. They all get on fairly well until things fall apart following a New Year's party. A week later they discover a body in the basement and from there things spiral into a web of paranoia, deceit and mi
Heather Copping
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book that I have read by Katharine Johnson and it is just as good a read as the previous books. It follows a group of young people who to make it on the housing ladder decide to buy a house together, purely for financial reasons. They are just a group of normal young people partying, drinking and working until they make a horrible discovery of a body in the cellar, a body that had been dead for a while, a body they don't know and now they have a decision to make, what to do wit ...more
Natalie Wilson
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!
This is the first thing I've read by Katharine Johnson but I can't wait to see what else she has to read! Such a talented author! The book starts off with 5 individuals who meet at job training, who before you know it all decide to buy a house together. What happens next I'd never have guessed, it has so many twists and makes you question everything! I think there was a time when I suspected each and every one of them had commited murder but each and every time more information made it
Isabella May
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely compelling!

I've ignored my own life for the past 48 hours, gobbling up this unputdownable psychological thriller... it really is that GOOD. Bristol, the late eighties (and all the wonderful music and mayhem nostalgia that goes with it), a cast of contrasting characters, and the situation from hell. The Suspects recounts the tale of a group of naive twenty-something professionals starting out in their career and desperate to get on the property ladder. It's actually worryingly easy to
Kerry Bratton
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christie72
An amazing psychological suspense thriller that had me on the edge of my seat!!!

Five university graduates who all work at the same place decide to buy a house together. At first, it seems like a great idea. Emily, Xanthe, Stuart, Zak, and Imogene are on their best behavior with one another, but it doesn’t take long before the cracks in their arrangement begin to appear. Finding a dead body in their basement on New Year’s Eve doesn’t make it any better. That night would have far-reaching conseque
Jessica Hinton
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there is one genre in fiction that lends itself to disappointment, it's the psychological thriller. It's a very saturated genre and so one that is difficult to impress in. Which makes this book all the more of a pleasure to review. I've read some mediocre psychological thrillers recently and so begin each one with a certain sense of trepidation but .... THIS WAS BRILLIANT! I am so grateful that Katharine got in touch and sent me a copy of her new book, as I was genuinely a bit blown away by i ...more
Amanda
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Suspects had me gripped from the first page. It is well written, and weaves a tale of intrigue and suspense throughout. I loved that it is set in Bristol as I lived there for over twenty-years and recognise many of the places mentioned. I must have changed my mind about four times as to who the baddie was, and this is the mark of a good thriller. The characters are well drawn and easy to identify with. I liked Emma especially and I would like to know what happens to her in the future. Perhap ...more
Beccy Thompson
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
I’m a massive fan of psychological thrillers so was delighted to read this book. It was a very clever premise and I loved the way that 5 young people desperate to get on the housing ladder clubbed together to buy a house and then deal with a dead body! Intrigued? Then this is a book for you. A twisted read that kept me turning the pages until the end- I’ll definitely be reading more books by Katharine!
Jessica Belmont
The Suspects has made it to my favorite reads of 2019! It is compelling, gripping and kept me guessing all the way through. My first read by Katherine Johnson and it definitely won't be my last.

This novel hits you with tension from the beginning and keeps it tense all the way through. It felt terrifyingly real. I'll be honest, I've been thinking about it since I put it down.

I don't want to give anything away. Check this one out!!

*I read this book as part of a blog tour with Rachel's Random Resou
Kathi
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, tbc
A group of totally unlikeable people that all have their secrets decide to share a house together. What could possibly go wrong? Many twists and turns in this satisfying edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Many thanks to the author and the TBC Reviewer Request Group (FB) for my digital copy.
Karen Peterman
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Five young graduates who all work as journalists for the same publication decide to buy a house together to get a foot on the property ladder. This is in 1988. This is how The Suspects starts and truthfully I found this an unlikely scenario.

However when they discover a body - in their basement - and decide to dispose of it - the story picks up. Despite finding the premise unlikely I was soon caught up in the twists and turns as I suspected first one then another. I liked the story and the clever
Susan Angela Wallace
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The suspects by Katherine Johnson.
A very enjoyable read. Even though it started slow I soon got into it. I was curious as to who the killer was. Some parts were shocking. Dont want to give any spoilers. I liked Emma Stuart and some of the others. 4*.
Alfred Nobile
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
You share a home with housemates. Sure you have arguments, but secrets? This book will tell you them all...… or will it!
Heidi Catherine
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me up all night as it's one of those stories that's impossible to put down. The characters are complex yet real and the story is outrageous yet totally believable. I found myself screaming at the main character to make a different decision and then gripped to see the outcome of the path she ultimately chose to take. Without knowing who to trust as I turned each page, this book held my full attention and stayed with me for days afterwards. Highly recommended.
Rachel
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Suspects is exactly what the title suggests, 5 people, friends living together and working together, they all end up suspects of a crime. All covering for each other, all have their own secrets.

Set in the late 80’s but moves forward over the years to the present day too. It is very relatable of the era especially if you lived in the UK at the time.

This book is a refreshing thriller with lots of twists and turns and will keep you guessing right to the end.

It was well written, fast paced and
Katharine Johnson grew up in Bristol and now divides her time between Berkshire and Lucca, Italy. After doing a History degree she trained to be a journalist and has worked for a variety of magazines, writing about everything including the kitchen sink. She's loved writing since childhood and wrote her first book aged nine. When not writing she can usually be found walking her spaniel, doing the s ...more