Start by marking “Medieval Heroines in History and Legend (Parts 1 & 2)” as Want to Read:
Medieval Heroines in History and Legend (Parts 1 & 2)

Medieval Heroines in History and Legend (Parts 1 & 2)

This course presents the lives, based on the latest scholarly interpretations, of four medieval women who still shimmer in the modern imagination: Heloise, the abbess and mistress of Abelard; the prophet Hildegard of Bingen; the legendary Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine; and the woman-warrior and saint, Joan of Arc.
In Medieval Heroines in History and Legend , Professor
Audio CD
Published 2002 by Teaching Co.

To ask other readers questions about Medieval Heroines in History and Legend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medieval Heroines in History and Legend

Start your review of Medieval Heroines in History and Legend (Parts 1 & 2)
Jennifer Heise
A fascinating work. I 'read' this on audio, though the sets come with a handy-dandy outline in pamphlet form. Professor Bonnie Wheeler definitely proves an adept and interesting lecturer, though admittedly she a) sticks closely to just the facts and b) plugs the books she's edited as she goes along. (Neither are problematic; in fact, sticking closely to facts while still conveying a clear picture is a mark of a good historian.) She packs in plenty of vivid description and catches the imagination ...more
Kathleen
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Professor Bonnie Wheeler of SMU tells the story of four women in this Great Course. From the twelfth century she describes the life and impact of French Heloise, Hildegard of Bingen and Eleanor of Aquitaine. Then she jumps to the fourteenth century to discuss Joan of Arc. These women all made an impact during their lifetime. Heloise was a French writer and abbess and Abelard’s lover. Hildegard was an abbess and Christian mystic. Eleanor, a rich and powerful duchess on her own, was the wife of ...more
Marjo
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
There was a lot of interesting information in this book. I had never heard of Héloïse before getting this book, and I knew very little of Eleanor of Aquitaine. But there was also a lot of jumping back and forth in time, and a lot of repetition, and it made it more difficult to get a sense of the history. It felt more like a jumble of factoids than a proper lesson.
Also, one of the chapters about Hildegard of Bingen was titled "Hildegard, Holy Hypochondriac". Professor Wheeler, you can't call one
Meghan
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I loved Bonnie Wheeler as the instructor for this Great Course. She obviously has such passion for the subject matter. I felt that she was able to raise legitimate questions about how these women have been portrayed, and the potential misrepresentations of women throughout history, without speculation or malice.

I loved learning about these women, and I look forward to reading more of her books.
Skuli Saeland
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Ekki oft sem maður kemst yfir umfjöllun um konur á miðöldum bæði vegna skorts á heimildum en einnig vegna þess hve staða þeirra var oft ósýnileg í karlægum valdavettvangi. Þetta er ágætis umfjöllun um örfáar konur sem vöktu verðskuldaða athygli á þessum tímum. Jóhanna af Örk (1412-1431), Eleanor frá Aquitaine (1124-1204), Hildegard af Bingen (1098–1179) og heimspekinginn og nunnuna Heloise (1101-1163). Allt mjög ólíkar konur en orð þeirra og gjörðir höfðu mikil áhrif.
Chris
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Wheeler is a captivating lecturer, but with what ends up being less than 3 hours dedicated to each of the 4 figures there really isn't much content here. One could easily have devoted an entire 12 hour course to covering just Eleanor of Aquitaine or Joan of Arc alone. Despite my disappointment I'd still say that these lectures would be worthwhile to anyone unfamiliar with these women.
Loren Shultz
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Engaging and informative
Nina Braden
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great Courses, a, 2002
Bettie
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
September brings a different type of life - it's back to crafting and, to the fore, books that enliven the mind under the title of 'edu-tainment'.

Oh My! but her voice grates so this may take some time; here is the general outline:

1 - Eleanor of Aquitaine (1124—1204), Queen of France and then England, mother of at least 10 children, scandalized her contemporaries and has fascinated us ever since. She accompanied her husband, Louis VII, on the second Crusade, and her exploits are a reminder that
Dominique
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
In this Great Course, we learn about four extraordinary women who lived during the Middle Ages: Heloise, Hildegard of Bingen, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and Joan of Arc. Professor Wheeler refers to these four women as heroines, but in my opinion, the only one of them who can be called a heroine. In the final lecture, Wheeler refers to them as “extraordinary Medieval women” and perhaps that should have been a better title for this Great Course.

Professor Wheeler paints all these women as raging
Maureen
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, history
Eleanor of Aquitaine, Hildegard of Bingen, and Joan of Arc are three of my favourite historical ladies, and I think Héloïse is interesting too, so of course I had to listen to this Great Courses offering. While I personally wanted more, I recommend this look at four fascinating women of The Middle Ages, and the world they lived in.
Michelle
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Medieval World
  • The History of the Bible: The Making of the New Testament Canon
  • Transaction Man: The Rise of the Deal and the Decline of the American Dream
  • The Royal Art of Poison: Filthy Palaces, Fatal Cosmetics, Deadly Medicine, and Murder Most Foul
  • The Knife Man: Blood, Body Snatching, and the Birth of Modern Surgery
  • Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
  • The Ghost Ships of Archangel: The Arctic Voyage That Defied the Nazis
  • The Flying Tigers: The Untold Story of the American Pilots Who Waged a Secret War Against Japan Before Pearl Harbor
  • The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America
  • The Last Pirate of New York: A Ghost Ship, a Killer, and the Birth of a Gangster Nation
  • Aloha Rodeo: Three Hawaiian Cowboys, the World's Greatest Rodeo, and a Hidden History of the American West
  • Turning Points in American History
  • The Water is Wide
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • A Dead End (Saints & Strangers, #1)
  • The Great Santini
  • Sniper's Nest (Detective Jesse McCord #1)
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice