Start by marking “Pride, Prejudice and Poison (A Jane Austen Society Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pride, Prejudice and Poison (A Jane Austen Society Mystery, #1)

Pride, Prejudice and Poison

(A Jane Austen Society Mystery #1)

Perfect for fans of Laura Levine and Stephanie Barron, Elizabeth Blake’s Jane Austen Society mystery debut is a mirthfully morbid merger of manners and murder.

In this Austen-tatious debut, antiquarian bookstore proprietor Erin Coleridge uses her sense and sensibility to deduce who killed the president of the local Jane Austen Society.

Erin Coleridge’s used bookstore in Kirk
Expected publication: August 13th 2019 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Pride, Prejudice and Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride, Prejudice and Poison

Erin
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to Netgalley for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Always curious about these cozy type mysteries and automatically lured in by the Jane Austen references, I just couldn't wait to dive into this story. To say that all the people in this English village enjoy Austen and her books is an understatement. They interweave quotes from the novels and Jane Austen's letters into their daily conversations and name their cats after her characters. Often they can be found reading ann
Kirsti
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

Pride and Prejudice themed cozy mystery? Sign me up! Combining two of my favorites worked a treat, and the author has very whimsical writing that made me just want to read more. Somehow everything feels floaty and romantic without being over the top and cheesy, and it captures a real love of Austen. Here we see plenty of quotes and comparisons, and best of all a real simmering romance that I hope expands in further books.
Megan
I love books that have a Pride and Prejudice connection, so when I saw this book I just had to give it a read.

The mystery was pretty good, it kept me guessing as to who was really behind everything and why. All the Jane Austen quotes started funny, but got to be a little too much as the story went on...at least for me.

I'd definitely read another book in the series and would recommend this to fans of a cozy mystery.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was asked to give my honest opini
Betty
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, arc, crafts
The first book in a new series, Jane Austen Society and a new author for me. I will read the next story. Erin Coleridge owns a used book store in Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire, England. She admires forensic science and knows a great deal about it. Erin often quotes from Jane Austin's books throughout the book.There were numerous quotes and I felt it was overdone. We are introduced to Detective Inspector Peter Hadley and his friendly, easy-going Sergeant Rashid Jarral who are charged to find Sa ...more
Jacqui Huntley
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can a murder story be delicious? If so then this is one. Set in Yorkshire, the local Jane Austen Society comprise a disparate group of JA lovers. During a largely contentious monthly meeting the president is poisoned. Our heroine, Erin, runs the local secondhand bookshop with teas and coffee and acts as a bit of a, young, Miss Marple. She knows everyone and there are certainly plenty of slightly, or more than, eccentric characters - the perfect married couple, a wife with a secret, the cat lady, ...more
Missy  VanHoose
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This is the first book in a new series. I must admit it took me a little bit to get warmed up to the story but once it happened I couldn’t put it down. It has a great mystery to solve and very likable characters. Definitely looking forward to more from this author and series.

I was given a free copy of this book in the hope that I would review. I’d like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read it.
Marie
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of Jane Austin, you will definately enjoy the references peppered throughout, if you are not as familar, don't worry, you will still enjoy the mystery. I thought it was well written, fun and had me guessing until the end. I found a new author and am looking forward to reading more in this series.
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written and entertaining. At first, I was afraid that I would be lost, having no familiarity with the Jane Austen Society. However, it was part of the background and not integral to the plot.

Characters were well developed and the story was interesting and engaging. I would certainly love to read more in this series!
Carol
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. This was a new to me author and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work. The storyline was well written and the characters are highly entertaining. I played a guessing game right up to the end trying to figure out who the murderer was. I highly recommend this book.
Ruth Parker
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a sucker for Jane Austen stories and adaptations. So the second I saw this I snapped it up as fast as I could!

The story started a bit slow. It took me a while to get into it. I felt a little bit unmotivated at the start and really struggled. BUT it got better and was worth pushing through. The mystery kept me guessing, and who could want much more?

I liked the Austen references and quotes and found most of them to be funny and well connected to the plot and the happenings. However, around
Charlotte Graham
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pride, Prejudice and Poison is a cozy mystery set in a small village in the Yorkshire moors, where the local Jane Austen Society enjoys a fair bit of drama and scandal. The book follows bookshop owner Erin Coleridge as she tries to save her best friend from being accused of a murder she didn't commit.

I am giving this book four stars, and my review will go over what I liked and didn't like.

What I loved: The settings (such as Erin's bookshop, and the wild moors) were beautiful and truly cozy. I a
Brandy
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and publisher for a chance to read the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I’m a huge Jane Austen fan so the idea of a mystery that includes a Jane Austen Society and lots of JA references is always good with me!! I didn’t love this book as much as I wanted to, though. Some of the characters seemed flat and stereotypical, which was bothersome at times. Still entertaining, but not captivating.
3 stars ⭐⭐⭐
Heather Bennett
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pride, Predjudice, and Poison is a great murder mystery that I was hooked from the first chapter on. Great characters and we'll written.
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Erin Coleridge owns a used book store in Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire, England. Her social life is pretty much centered around the members of the Jane Austen Society. This evening there is a particularly contentious meeting causing arguments between the president, Sylvia Pemberthy, and some of the more vocal members.

But no one expects that at the next meeting Sylvia will fall ill and die - poisoned - and that one of the members will be suspected of the murder. When the police have Erin's best
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Pride, Prejudice and Poison is the first in a new cozy mystery series which follows Erin as she interferes in a police murder investigation.

Erin owns the local bookshop in the sleepy, little British village of Kirkbymoorside and is also a member of the Jane Austen Society. It is at a meeting for this very society that the society's president is murdered. And in
 true cozy mystery, who-done-it fashion everyone is a suspect and everyone is pointing fingers at those around them.

I had high hopes for
Annie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent first in a new series, although it reads a bit like it should be further into the series with characters and relationships kind of already settled. Erin Coleridge is a bookstore owner living in North Yorkshire - where Jane Austen was born and raised - and belongs to a Jane Austen Society. I don't fully understand the Society, but believe it's to maintain the 'Austen' feel of the area for those who are fans. And everyone is, apparently. Someone else used the word 'superfan' and that woul ...more
Brenda
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Pride, Prejudice and Poison is the debut of the A Jane Austen Society Mystery series set in the English village of Kirkbymoorside in Yorkshire and features antiquarian bookstore owner Erin Coleridge and members of the local Jane Austen Society. It's time for the monthly meeting of the Society and tensions are running high between current President Sylvia Pemberthy and the younger members of the club who would like to see changes in the future. During a tea break, Sylvia collapses and dies, poiso ...more
Sara
Perfect for fans of Jane Austen and quiet English towns sprinkled with murder and mayhem, comes the first in a new series, Pride, Prejudice and Poison by Elizabeth Blake.

When the president of the local Jane Austen Society is poisoned, Erin Coleridge, local bookseller, is determined to help the police by identifying the villain before more villagers are attacked. There are plenty of Jane-isms and moody walks among the moors to keep most Janeites happy.

This is a quirky book with a typical cozy m
Kaijsa
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book ticks some of my mystery-loving boxes: set in a library or bookstore, English, full of literary themes or references, set in a picturesque location. Unfortunately, I couldn't connect to Erin, local bookshop owner and protagonist of the story. The story mostly follows Erin and occasionally shows the reader what's going on with other characters when Erin isn't around. I don't usually have a problem with third-person narration, but in this case I wanted more of her perspective, not just a ...more
Jordanne
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I was given this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for a review.
Pride, prejudice and poison revolves around the Jane Austen Society in a small British village. When their society’s president is murdered, everyone is a suspect.
Bookshop owner Erin Coleridge decides to do a bit of sleuthing herself, which makes her a target for the killer as well.
The appearance of an attractive police detective makes the story romantic as well.

I thought the story was really slow at the beginning.
Lynne
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This cozy takes place in the village of Kirkbymoorside, close to York. Think MidSomer Murders, but not quite so bloody. Lots of fun village characters, with their own secrets. Who killed Sylvia, the president of the Jane Austen Society. Erin's friend Farnsworth is a suspect. She served the victim her tea. So Erin sets out to find the killer. The village sounds peaceful and relaxing and the people are all characters. I enjoyed the story and actually was surprised by the killer. It's also fun that ...more
Jennie Webb
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A good mystery, but not what I expected... The mystery part is good. I like the main character too.
The drawbacks, in my opinion, are that there's quite a bit of cussing, which is not my thing, and I had a bit of trouble, at times, keeping track of the different characters.
I guess I was expecting it to be more Jane Austen-like, and not just people in a J.A. society, doing a lot of Jane Austen quotes.

Thanks to Netgalley for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review!
Karen
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a new series.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this mystery.
The characters were an absolute delight and the whodunit was well written and kept me guessing.
I cannot wait to read more books in this series.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
Emily Yager
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great little cozy mystery. I loved all the references to Pride & Prejudice. A well written murder mystery and engaging from the very first chapter. This is book one in a new series, and would definitely love to read more in this series.
Lauri
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I nearly put this one down. Luckily, after introducing the entire town, the story became the focus, and I finally felt I knew what was happening.
Maybe a few twists too many, but an enjoyable read for a rainy afternoon.
Judy Tucker
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pride, Prejudice & Poison is a murder mystery set in a Jane Austen Society. The plots has lots of twists that will keep you guessing up to the end. The characters have lots if different personalities, some quirky. Intriguing story.
Kristin Davison
Apr 23, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I found the main character to be out of date and a contradiction of herself.
Emris Lindsay
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Erin was sure her friend did not commit murder and set out to prove just that by doing her amateur sleuthing. In doing so she found herself deeply attracted to DI Hemmings and also to Jonathan but the chemistry with the DI was a strong one. With her life now threatened by the killer it was imperative she finds the killer before she becomes the next victim. She also wanted to see where the budding attraction with the DI would end up.
Emma Cannon
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I you like a cosy mystery and are a fan of Jane Austen then this is the book for you.

Unpopular President of the local branch of the Jane Austen Society is poisoned during the meeting tea break. The prime suspect is surely the person who served the tea, but local bookshop owner and true crime enthusiast, Erun Coleridge, refuses to accept that possibility.
Her amateur sleuthing soon reveals that small towns can hide big secrets.
This is a fun and intriguing mystery. There are lots of interesting cha
Rima Aiello
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From page one this book takes you into a setting that is mysterious and magical. With mystery and murder taking over, this beautifully written book is the perfect thing to get lost in for a while. The characters and plot are well thought out and delightfully complex. Overall, a wonderful read.
Elizabeth Blake worked in the medical field for 20 years before she switched to teaching high school science. She has written two memoirs. One about working in the medical field "Conquering Challenges - A Working Mother's Story" and the other about teaching "No Child Left Behind??? The true story of a teacher's quest"