Start by marking “Everyman and Other Miracle and Morality Plays” as Want to Read:
Everyman and Other Miracle and Morality Plays

Everyman and Other Miracle and Morality Plays

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  665 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Everyman is the most durable of medieval morality plays, in which the central character, summoned by death, must face final judgment on the strength of his good deeds. The work is reprinted here along with 3 other medieval classics: The Second Shepherd's Play, Noah's Flood, and Hickscorner. All from standard texts.
Paperback, Dover Thrift , 96 pages
Published October 24th 1995 by Dover Publications (first published 1490)

Ben Loory
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
the five stars are for everyman, which is really pretty amazing... it's funny and terrifying and immediately grabs you (i don't think i looked up from the page once from the first line to the very end) and actually surprisingly effective in making this reader at least actually consider the way he's living his life... i don't know why i never read such an incredibly famous (and ridiculously short and easy-to-read) piece before; i think maybe i thought it was going to be dry and dull? but instead ...more
Ralph
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics-read
"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” ~Jim Rohn

As part of my quest to read more classic plays I picked up Everyman for a quick read (only 39 pages). Everyman is a one act play that was written centuries ago. The earliest English version dates from approximately 1520. It's amazing how relevant the play is nearly 500 years later, although concerns of morality and mortality neve
Jen
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Considering this is just a collection of four short medieval plays, there's not much to review. Props to Dover for putting this out just to get the plays in circulation; they're invaluable in studying theatre and the mindset of the medieval era. Heavy hitters included are obviously "Second Shepherd's Play" and "Everyman" (I say obviously because, of course, the whole world is as drenched in medieval drama as I am...sorry about that). These are the go-tos for medieval theatre, usually, the ones y ...more
Hannah
Feb 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-shelf
This was, shockingly, the only version of "The Everyman" I could find in the system, but I wanted to include it as it is a classic and I well enjoyed it.

I have included a quick summary below:

The messenger? Death. The message? God has summoned you to stand before Him and give a reckoning of your life. What do you do? The protagonist of this play, the shocked and distraught Everyman, faces this exact issue. But he is granted a day's grace to gather together anyone who will travel with him and help
George King
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This is what passed for drama in the Middle Ages. Pretty scary if you're an illiterate peasant.
Annie
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
This morality tale is literally Poetry. I am tempted to rewrite it in modern verse, rhymes in place, for the pure mental exercise.
Randee Baty
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british-medieval
I just read two of the plays in this book for my British Drama class so I’m just commenting on those two, Everyman and The Second Shepherds’ Play.

Medieval drama is not something I was completely familiar with though I knew a few of the conventions. These are two really interesting examples of the genre. Everyman is a morality play and The Second Shepherd’s Play is a miracle play.

Everyman is the story of a man who’s been called to give his account to God and he’s not ready. He wants more time. W
Wendy
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Telling allegory on the state of man. Everyman is called to give account to God and finds himself woefully unprepared to meet God and answer for his life. In pleading for more time and a companion to join him, he realizes that all forsake him, even friends and family. His strength, beauty, wits, and discretion cannot take this final journey with him. Only Good Deeds can go, and only after he visits Confession and repents. Written with a heavy Catholic worldview, I take biblical issue with the vi ...more
Ben Smitthimedhin
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
O eternal God, O heavenly figure, O way of righteousness, O goodly vision.
Which descended down through a virgin pure to redeem every man, which Adam forfeited by his dis-obedience.
O blessed Godhead, elect and high divine, forgive my grievous offense.
Here I cry your mercy in this presence.

O ghostly treasure, O ransomer and redeemer, of all the world hope and conductor, mirror of joy, and founder of mercy, which illuminates heaven and the earth besides, hear my clamorous complaint, though it is l
Nicolas Shump
Jan 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
I thought Everyman was fine for what it is, a medieval morality play. It is heavy handed and not terribly dramatic, but this was not its purpose necessarily.
However, the Second Shepherd's play is terrible. It is bizarre and poorly constructed. The grafting of the Nativity Play doesn't work either.
Adam, a morality play not included here is even worse. It reeks of anti-Semitism and is unoriginal and formless. The first few scenes are drawn directly from Genesis, probably the point, and the testi
David
Sep 19, 2010 added it
Shelves: dover-classics
I read this because I wanted to remember the story of
Everyman. I read it in High School English but had forgotten it. Now I remember why. It is verbose cubed. The act of reading it is tedious. The idea of anthropomorphizing virtues and concepts seems a little silly. The other three stories comes off no better. I reread it. I am glad that I did so and made a few notes. I will never have to read it again.
Bill Fessler
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Decided to stop reading the book - did not find it enjoyable. The old-English writing made my head hurt, and I often did not understand what was being said. Reminded me of why I relied on Cliff Notes so much in high school. I would love to have a discussion with someone who rated this book 5 stars. Did they really enjoy it that much, or are they giving themselves the 5 stars for slogging through the thing?
Jaclyn
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Everyman is a short but sweet play speaking about our lives and choices. It is very interesting -especially in an analysis class- to consider all the allegorical characters and how their words and actions affect the story. While one doesn't read this play for a story or character necessarily, it is definitely a thought-provoker that has withstood the test of time.
Nick Black
Jul 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
The only thing worth knowing about this book is the eponymous protagonist, whose name comes up in all kinds of snotty places. Whether discovered passed out in a ditch or drinking Sterno while piloting a car full of dead hookers, a robust plea to the heavens of "Everyman, be my guide!" will mark you a soul of discriminating and cultured tastes.
Amanda
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Good. I found an interesting reference to migraines in the fourth play, Hickscorner, which is a rather bawdy play to start with. I dare anyone to be able to read that section (the whole Hickscorner play) and keep a straight face!
Susan
Aug 04, 2011 added it
The other plays in the Dover Thrift Edition are "Noah's Flood", "The Second Shephard's Play" and "Hickscorner"
Brittany
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a miracle or morality play type.
Emma
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, drama
A very interesting read. I would love to see this performed, as a lot could be done with it. a good representation of faith in the Medieval era.
Rhonda Browning White
The Second Shepherd's Play wasn't bad, though it was predictable, and Everyman was fine, though droll. For what it is, it's not a BAD read, but I wouldn't pick it up a second time.
Wit
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
As something written to be seen, rather than read, I don't have much of an opinion on it. I think it is something that I would like to see performed.
Ji Mei
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I read half/ 2 plays. The Second Shepherd's play and Everyman.
Ashley
Honestly, other than for their historical value, and their influence on Elizabethan/Jacobean drama, I find medieval morality/mystery plays completely boring.

[First read, November 2004]
Kira Brighton
*Read EVERYMAN and THE SECOND SHEPHERD for school junior year college*
Bryce Emley
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
probably the most blatant allegory i've ever read. very blunt in its symbolism, it would require just enough thought if it weren't so boring.
Courtney
Barnat, Sylvan
The Genius of the Early English Theater

In compilation only.
Ahmet Uçar
read as an example of allegory in the first year of the university but i don't remember much from it.
Kevin Richey
Feb 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I read the version of Everyman found within the Norton Anthology of English Literature.
Curt Bobbitt
  • All for Love
  • Humorous Stories and Sketches
  • The Art of Courtly Love
  • The Philosopher's Handbook: Essential Readings from Plato to Kant
  • The Libation Bearers (Ορέστεια, #2)
  • Chancer's Canterbury Tales
  • Riders to the Sea
  • A Woman Killed with Kindness
  • The Moonlit Road and Other Ghost and Horror Stories
  • Arden of Faversham
  • Learning about Dance: Dance As An Art Form And Entertainment
  • The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize
  • The Dining Room
Books can be attributed to "Unknown" when the author or editor (as applicable) is not known and cannot be discovered. If at all possible, list at least one actual author or editor for a book instead of using "Unknown".

Books whose authorship is purposefully withheld should be attributed instead to Anonymous.
More about Unknown
“Everyman, I will go with thee and be thy guide, in thy most need to go by thy side” 17 likes