Start by marking “Mr. Nobody” as Want to Read:
Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody

3.60  ·  Rating details ·  10,469 ratings  ·  1,455 reviews
The discovery of a man who seemingly has no identity or memory ignites a firestorm of speculation, upending the world of the psychiatrist attempting to treat him in this spine-chilling thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of Something in the Water.

Memory defines us--but what if you lost all memory of who you are? Or where you came from?

A man washes onto a B
Published January 7th 2020 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Nobody, please sign up.
Susan Zinner
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  10,469 ratings  ·  1,455 reviews

Start your review of Mr. Nobody
Nilufer Ozmekik
Welcome to the disappointment palace! There is no vacancy for riveting thriller you’re looking for! Sorry! You had a bad start for the busy season.

I know when you spend your time with the beach, you noticed “Something in the water” and you enjoyed your experience with that book and I know you love short term memory loss, amnesia stories! For compensation: maybe you should request more upcoming thrillers and if your fairy godmother NetGalley likes your credit score, wow sorry reading performance
Chelsea Humphrey
I take no pleasure in writing reviews for books I found less than thrilling, but unfortunately Mr. Nobody by Catherine Steadman ticked only a few of my boxes. Perhaps it is having read too many books in the genre, but I found the pacing to be slow to the point of crippling, and the climax lacked the twists and turns I expected based on the author's previous novel, Something in the Water. If you enjoy psychological thrillers that feature amnesia storylines, this might work well for you, and I enc ...more
Kaceey
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
When a man is found on the beach-side claiming no memory of how he got there and unable to give his name, the media goes a flutter! Help is needed to unravel the mystery, enter Dr. Emma Lewis!

But to travel to this small village where “Mr. Nobody” washed up presents some major challenges for the good doctor. Turns out she has a past there. One she desperately hopes to put behind her. The looming question is, will everyone else play along and do the same.

There are two types of thrillers.
One, wher
Liz
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
2.5 stars, rounded up
Catherine Steadman scored big with Something in the Water, although it wasn’t a particular favorite of mine. But I was still curious to see what she would do with her sophomore effort. The book opens with a man awakening on the beach, wounded, with only hazy memories. Among the missing memories are how he got there and what his name is. Dr. Emma Lewis is brought in to oversee his case. She wants to see if this is truly a fugue state, a case of Retrograde amnesia, the loss of
Mandy White
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something In the Water was a 5 star read for me that blew me away. When given the chance to read Catherine Steadmans new book Mr Nobody I jumped at the chance. While for me this one wasn’t as addictive as her first book, I still really enjoyed it. It took me a while to get into the story but once I did I was really sucked in and wanting to know how it would end. Every time I thought I had it worked out it twisted again. The ending was a little bizarre and over the top and not at all how I saw it ...more
Jayme
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A man washes up on a British beach, with no memory of who he is, or how he got there.

Is he the perfect study of retrograde amnesia or fugue? Or is he lying?

Dr. Emma Lewis is asked to take on the case.

But, why is the government so interested in “Mr. Nobody”? (dubbed Matthew by a caring nurse)

And, why is this case so secretive that Dr. Lewis must sign a Non disclosure agreement, and risk her own secrets being exposed?

I was left with some unanswered questions, and not in a “there must be a seq
Holly
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Emma Lewis is a leader in her field of memory loss and is chosen to work on a case that will challenge her to determine the diagnosis — is it retrograde amnesia, fugue or lying. It will require her to return to her home town, which she and her family changed their names and left 14 years ago. But Emma knows it’s a big opportunity for her career because these cases are so rare.

This perfect offer out of the blue, this opportunity, the chance I’ve been waiting for. But I’d have to go there? Why doe
Ceecee
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 - 5 stars. Title is Mr Nobody!

A man in his forties is found on beautiful Holkham Beach, Norfolk on a winters day, he’s soaked to the skin, he’s freezing cold and has no shoes on. He has no memory of who he is or how he got there - just fleeting thoughts and something written on his hand which he removes. Dr Emma Lewis is in her early 30’s, is a neuropsychologist and she is asked by a more experienced and well known American specialist to investigate. Does Mr Nobody have retrograde amnesia fro
Elyse  Walters
Emma Lewis, 30 years old - lead consultant neuropsychologist- works in a busy London hospital.
She specializes in the field of memory loss.
She also spent fourteen years trying to forget one awful night from her childhood village in Norfolk.
She had entered a witness protection program, years ago.
Emma wants to accept a prestigious job which would send her back to Norfolk.
She’s terrified at the thought of going back to where she fled, but wants to be the head honcho on the high profile ‘Mr. Nobo
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
This book blew me away!! I can't believe the reviews are so split! I noticed though that i said similar things about this authors first book (Something in the Water,) so I'm thinking it might just be a writing style thing. For me though, i found this book totally engrossing. I mean i was on the edge of my seat rooting for Dr Emma, & for Mr Nobody. There were other characters too, (2 i loved, & 1 not so much) that were really done well, fleshed out "whole" people. & the past especially was seamle ...more
Susanne  Strong
2 Stars

A Man is found on the beach. When he awakes he has no memory of who he is. Is it retrograde amnesia or fugue state?

Emma Lewis is one of the leading Doctor in her field for memory loss, retrograde amnesia and fugue state. Called upon to help, she cannot say no. It would mean everything to her career.

The Government is hot on the man’s tail. Could that have anything to do with his medical state?

To be frank, what happens with man is well, absurd. My eyes were rolling and frankly, I have no
Julie (JuJu)
‪Ms. Steadman’s debut, “Something in the Water” was one of my first NetGalley reads. I loved it, so I was excited when I saw her second book on NG!‬

‪The story of Dr. Emma Lewis and Mr. Nobody really peaked my interest at times, but ultimately left me with too many questions. The premise and writing are fantastic and I think the story had the potential to be really great. But it was bogged down with too many details and the ending didn’t do it for me. It didn’t have the “thrill” factor that keeps
Dale Harcombe
A man is found on a Norfolk beach. He has no identification on him and is unable or unwilling to speak. Who is this man? How did he come to be on this beach and why is he not communicating with anyone? As the media gets hold of the story they dub him Mr Nobody. Rhoda a nurse at the hospital to which he is taken gives him the name Matthew. Neuropsychiatrist Dr Emma Lewis is called upon to assess this patient. Such a high profile case would make her well known. Ambition for her career wants this. ...more
Louise Wilson
A man is found on a beach is Norfolk. He does not know who he is or why he is there. The only thing he remembers is the name of the woman who found him. A well known neuropsychiatric, Dr. Emma Lewes has been called in to assist investigating this case, but in doing so, she will be returning to the village of her childhood that she had fled from when something bad had happened. But "Mr Nobody" appears to know certain things about her, even though he can't remember things in his own past.

This st5h
Andreia ❤The Butterfly Lover❤
Mr. Nobody is on top of the BEST BOOKS I have read in 2020 so far!! Scientifically interesting, this is proof of how much I love books that talk about Psychology, Medicine and so on... I LOVED it!!

A man washes onto a British beach with no memory of who he is or how he got there. Are there loved ones who could be looking for him? Is he a criminal, or an illegal immigrant? The media circus that ensues du
Faith
I liked the author's first book, “Something in the Water”. Unfortunately, her second book was an example of disappointing nonsense in which the reader is just strung along by the ridiculous plot. I feel like I was led on a wild goose chase. I can’t really explain how annoying this book was without spoilers, so I’ll hide the rest of this review.

(view spoiler)
Kasa Cotugno
You settle into your reading nook, warm cup of something in your hand, winter outside the window (well, in California, that's relative, but still...), and start reading a thriller with a good pedigree and an intriguing cover. Perfect way to spend a January day. Until you reach a point in your reading where you've stalled so completely, you have to struggle to keep going. But going you must since it is a review copy and you've got to be fair. Well, to be fair, Mr. Nobody starts beautifully, atmos ...more
Kylie H
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
There are quite a few twists and turns in this story and I was intrigued right from the beginning. Emma is a neuropsychiatrist who specialises in memory disorders. She is presented with a case that appears to be exactly what she has been working toward.
In proceeding further it appears that the case may be linked with a past that she has tried very hard to bury.
I cannot say too much without giving this away but I was really enjoying this and then a bit disappointed with the way it all ended up. I
Kristy
Emma Lewis is neuropsychiatrist, who is surprised when she's asked to work on a case for a newsworthy patient. Dubbed "Mr. Nobody," he's a man found on a British beach, in wet clothes and without any identification. He won't speak and the hospital staff are all drawn to him. But for Emma to take the case, it means returning to a place that she left fourteen years ago in disgrace--a place she's worked to leave behind and erase any signs of herself from.

"Why can't I remember? Why can't I remem
Tzipora
Oh. My. Gosh. This book! You need to read it! Yes, you! And you, and you too! I have never had such a wild and stunning reading experience as I did reading Mr. Nobody. Catherine Steadman is an absolute master of her craft!

Mr. Nobody grabbed my attention first from the title and then by its premise. A man washes up on the shore of a small English town. He’s soaking wet, shoeless, and injured. Most importantly, he has no memory of who he is or what happened to him. Intrigued yet? I was.

I have neve
Pauline
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Mr. Nobody by Catherine Steadman the story of an unknown man found on the beach who has no memory of how he got there and a doctor sent to treat him that is trying to hide her past.
This is a slow burning story, unfortunately it failed to hold my interest.
Thank you to NetGalley and Simon and Schuster UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Ingstje
3.5 stars.
A man with no memory is found on a deserted beach by a dog walker. Is it a state of retrograde amnesia, a fugue, or even worse, could he be faking it? Wanting to avoid a scandal like they had in the past when they came across ‘The Piano Man’ the government brings in Emma, a neuropsychiatrist. In all of the country she’s one with the most expertise in this field.

I found it fascinating to read about the different possibilities and always find the mind to be such curious thing, and I was
Liz Barnsley
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I adored Something In The Water so I leapt into Mr Nobody with huge anticipation and it delivered on every level for me – tense and twisted, a cleverly unfolding plot, a hint of spookiness and beautifully written.

A man is found on a Norfolk beach. He doesn’t know who he is or what happened but he knows he has to find her. But find who? Enter Dr Emma Lewis, a specialist in the fugue field, a dark past haunting her return to her childhood county. Can she find the truth?

This is as twisted as you li
Laura Peden
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, kobo
3.5 ⭐️ Since this is more of a mystery than a thriller I suggest going into this one blind. This book isn’t perfect, there are a couple inconsistencies & I’m not sure in the end how plausible it is. However, it has two things going for it: first, I did the audiobook & Catherine narrates herself. Normally I find that’s not a good decision on the author’s part but this author is a well known actress & she does an excellent job. Second, the way the story unfolds really worked for me. I started & fi ...more
Marc
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first half and then some of the novel. I liked the characters of Emma, Rhoda, and and I was intrigued by "Mr. Nobody" or Matthew, as he later became known. But then it fell off the tracks for me, seemed very rushed, and in the end I was unsatisfied.
Alexa
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This one fell down at the final hurdle for me, which took it from 5 to 4 stars. So still overall a VERY strong read, but there was something in the final climax that I found less satisfying. But! Generally this is a nicely character driven suspense novel with some pulse pounding turning points. I hesitate to call them twists--this isn't really a thriller that pulls the rug out from under you on anything (part of why I loved it a tick less). But there ares some solid character-based turns that ra ...more
Jayme
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Is he the perfect study of retrograde amnesia or fugue? Or is he lying?

Dr. Emma Lewis is asked to take on the case. But, why is the government so interested in “Mr. Nobody”, (dubbed Matthew by a caring nurse) And, why is the case so secretive that Dr. Lewis must sign a Non disclosure agreement, and risk her own secrets being exposed?

I was left with some unanswered questions.

At times, I was completely intrigue
Thushara (Triobookdragons)
I really loved it!!! Full review to come
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Hmmmm..... I like medical/amnesia type thrillers and while this definitely falls (for me) in a lighter thriller type of read, I'd almost just slot it into contemporary and just be done. This book is a bit of a slower pace than I typically like... and yet somehow I was VERY curious where this was going to go. What exactly is wrong with Mr. Nobody. What are Emma's secrets and why it coming back to truly haunt her? Curiouser and curiouser.

Then I got answers. Yeah. I really, REALLY wanted to like th
Andrea
1.5★ rounded up. There will be plenty of readers who enjoy this book, but I'm afraid I am not one of them. The premise sounded great and the writing is perfectly fine, but as a package it just didn't gel for me.

A distressed adult male is found wandering a Norfolk beach in the middle of winter. The police are called and the man is taken, unconscious, to a local hospital to recover from his ordeal. He has no identification and no memory. Everyone is baffled. London neuropsychiatrist, Dr Emma Lewis

• Violet
  • The Rival
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • She Died Famous
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Other Wife
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • Her Perfect Lies
  • The Temple House Vanishing
Catherine Steadman is an actress and writer based in North London, UK. She is best known for her role as Mabel Lane Fox in Downton Abbey and is currently filming on the new Starz television series 'The Rook'. She grew up in the New Forest, UK, and lives with a small dog and an average sized man. Something in the Water is her first novel.

(source: Amazon)