Start by marking “You’re Not Broke, You’re Pre-Rich: How to Streamline Your Finances, Stay in Control of Your Bank Balance and Have More £££” as Want to Read:

Never go out the week before payday? Have less than £1,000 saved? Does this sound all too familiar? If so, it's time to take back control of your bank balance.

One out of three millennials today will never be able to buy their own house. Does it have to be like this? You're Not Broke, You're Pre-Rich will tell you that it really doesn't; you can have your avocado on toast a

Published May 30th 2019 by Octopus Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about You’re Not Broke, You’re Pre-Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You’re Not Broke, You’re Pre-Rich

Start your review of You’re Not Broke, You’re Pre-Rich: How to Streamline Your Finances, Stay in Control of Your Bank Balance and Have More £££
Rachel Hagan
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the year I’m finally going to get a handle on my finances and Emilie’s book was such a great introduction to all things money. If you told me a year ago I’d be up until 1 am on a school night reading a book about finance, I would’ve laughed at you! It’s so readable, accessible and vital that even pensions don’t seem boring. I loved the chapters on attitudes and relationships with money and I genuinely feel like mine have already changed.
Anna
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read book on personal finance and personal development altogether. Financial education is really poor among us, and it really helped me redefine my relationship with money (especially as I have left a job and relocated in the past few weeks), hacks on how to save and invest and build your personal wealth (which doesn't necessarily mean being rich - I am a journalist after all). Really recommended for those who like me used to struggle to save and let themselves go in terms of comp ...more
Caitlin
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so good! Really helpful and non patronising advice, and broke down some complex ideas like investing and mortgages in an easy to understand way. I really appreciated the chapter on examining our feelings around money, an essential thing to think about when we try and get "better" with money. Read a few similar US based books, and glad we have a great UK equivalent now. Left this book feeling really empowered about my finances. ...more
FlyingBulgarian Svetli H.
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really great starting point for 20somethings to start investing, saving and thinking about their financial health and future.

My only concern is that I should have read the £ sign and realised it's very UK centric - which is fine - and most of the advice is applicable internationally, but I should have paid more attention to the £ sign! :)

Alice Woodman
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Plodded my way through this one - not because of lack of interest but because it was my non-fiction/self help on the side. I LOVE Emilie and I love vestpod. Their work is something I’m super passionate about as someone who has always been obsessed with savings and my bank accounts but never having been taught anything about it.
This is an absolute essential for any young women who want to take control of their finances as each chapter explores a different part of saving/investing/budgeting. It wo
Isobel Maddock
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read! I feel like this should be given to everyone leaving school. It teaches especially young girls how to become financially free.
Rachel
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(ExpatsavinginThailand)

Relieved to find not only a UK centric book all about personal finances, but one written by a woman. It’s broken up into user friendly chapters in a style both accessible to linear and non-linear reading approaches.

The investment chapter broke it down to ‘never’ level so made it easy and engaging to understand. I can’t lie, I even liked the little emojis used to classify her points!

In particular, her exploration of money behaviour in the form of ‘money scripts’ is not onl
Kaja Trees
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for someone in UK, who knows next to nothing about money

I am not from UK and I already have some level of knowledge about investing, so this book is not for me. I took it up on a suggestion and I was disappointed by its level of information. However, I can see that it would be a great, clearly written starter guide to managing one's money. Especially in UK, as big part of information is very UK-specific.
Doireann O'B
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Generally good and easy to read, but unfortunately quite UK centric (although lots is applicable in other countries, and it's not the author's fault she has a target audience in mind of course). It was a bit patronising at times in my opinion. I don't think women need the smiley face and the sad face beside positive and negative sentences to understand that those sentences are positive or negative... ...more
Kene
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Useful for budgeting, saving, investing, pension, buying a house, financial literacy, women empowerment, etc.!

Highly recommend and will read it again to remind myself of its useful information.
Derneeks
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t been reading as much as I usually do this year but I picked this book up on a whim & boy am I glad! As soon as I started reading, I was hooked. A great source of invaluable knowledge that is delivered in an accessible way. Not the typical dense jargon expected from these types of books & definitely not the wishy washy tips that you can get on the other end of the spectrum. This book gives you real facts, advice and guidance with actionable steps. I have already recommended this to fami ...more
Amy
Mar 01, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the fence with this one... Love how it's written as if you're having a chat with a friend rather than being a dry factfile. I got the most out of Chapters 8 and 9 (investing and buying property - why I picked the book up on the first place) as the topics were really well explained and the author went into lots of detail. I did find some sections a little repetitive, for example sometimes the author made the same point several times across a chapter, almost to the point of overstating it. I re ...more
Kay McMahon
Mar 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2021
I really enjoy the content on Vestpod and the tone of this book was similar but heck, it was a slog to get through. I guess half of it wasn't relevant to me, so I should have skipped more.

The 'gamification' of showing virtual coin rewards (like stickers for toddlers) doesn't really work in a printed format. If you were reading this online then it would make more sense (e.g complete a module and earn your rewards). Ditto on using icons to delineate content types (tips, resources, actions etc - I
Catherine Harris
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have struggled to find a book on personal finance that is not based on the financial climate and services in America. So I was thrilled when I discovered this British centered book.
It provides a very well rounded view of personal finance with a lot of good pointers to more information on a wide range of topics. It can be a bit overwhelming to read in one sitting so I recommend taking your time and working through the exercises. It's a book I will continue to refer back to for many years.
Emma
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
I do think this was a fairly useful book although if you know the saving and budgeting basics the first few chapters will be fairly repetitive for you. I was most interested in the investing and property ownership sections and they were very useful for me and something I will come back to again and again.

This book is very easy to understand and is 100% something you will revisit if you find it useful.
David Birse
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best random purchase so far

I had not come across the author of Vestpod before reading this book. It was very much a random purchase. However, I'm glad I bought it as a 50yr old man starting again, it has given me very helpful advice for the future. I would especially recommend this book for those that when finance is mentioned - there eyes glaze over. The book almost holds your hand whilst you through the chapters.
Louise Columelli
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hands on book that enabled me to get real with my money situation, plan for short middle and long term goals and feel more secure about the way I handle my assets.

I recommend reading this book to anyone that want to start investing but don't know even which budget they could / should allocate to it.
Katie
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so helpful! I struggle with impulse buying and saving money so this has definitely given me motivation! Also the chapters on buying a house was super informative, I didn’t realise all the extra costs that are involved!🙃 would definitely recommend this to all young people wanting to get a hold of their finances!
Dimi
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, life, money
Indispensable! I love the fact that it is both contemporary, and UK-oriented. As a non-Brit libing in the UK, it helped me get clarity on lots of acronyms, institutions and services. Thank you, Emilie.
Nneka Orji
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Necessary reading!

For anyone looking to understand the basics of money management. Clear explanations, practical advice, and helpful reference and tools to get you started. Definitely worth a read!
Fraser McClennan
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I may be ready for adulthood now. What a relief.
Kat
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I have been looking for a while for some information about UK finance etc. and this was perfect! It explains everything you need to know jargon-free.
Anne Macnamara
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reads like an Alvin Hall guide for the 2020s, full of information and strategies for making your money work for you. 50-20-30 is such a simple idea which have seen elsewhere too.
Melanie
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for U.K. readers
Ellen
Mar 30, 2021 rated it liked it
Some helpful ideas in here, one that you'd definitely go back to like a manual when it becomes relevant.
(emojis don't belong in books though sorry)
Oleksandr
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read book

Fantastic book on personal finance.
I loved it as it focuses more to UK population. As I have read countless books for American audience.

The book breaks down many valid points which are easy to understand.

The only drawback for me was it too crammed it would've been easier if there was more white space.
LDN
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Most of it is common sense, some parts were noteworthy
Nina ( picturetalk321 )
This book is rather pointless. But because it has some useful advice in it, I gave it a few stars. The advice can be found in other books as well but then why shouldn't it, because I guess financial advice is not about originality but about being sound. It is UK oriented which is useful as other books I've read focus on the US or Germany. The jaunty prose is a bit off-putting as is the relentless can-do optimism.

The most annoying thing is the e-book formatting. For some reason, Cassell chose to
Jerry Floros
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Fantastic Book on Making and Saving Money !

Author Emilie Bellet and her FinTech company Vestpod came to my attention by chance and after reading her just published book in one go, I see why she is a financial expert on the subject of making money - and keeping even more of it - in order to effectively become financially independent.

This little gem of a book is packed with valuable tips and useful exercises to compel it’s readers to achieve more value for money and generate greater sav
Victor
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and Informative

I found this book very interesting and informative and it covered a wide spectrum of financial matters and how to go about dealing with them depending on your individual needs.

Even though I didn't use all of them It was nice to have exercises throughout the book relating to what was read in that particular section of the book so you can tailor it to your own needs.

So all-in-all it was a very enjoyable read and it's a book that I'm sure I will find myself referencing in

• Money: A User’s Guide
  • I Am Not Your Baby Mother
  • Women Don't Owe You Pretty
  • How Do We Know We're Doing It Right: & Other Essays on Modern Life
  • Ghosts
  • Skincare: the Ultimate No-Nonsense Guide
  • Olive
  • Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come: An Introvert's Year of Living Dangerously
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold #1)
  • Whites: On Race and Other Falsehoods