Start by marking “Thriving After Trauma: Stories of Living and Healing” as Want to Read:
Thriving After Trauma: Stories of Living and Healing

Thriving After Trauma: Stories of Living and Healing

Thriving After Trauma addresses readers who have experience trauma or loss due to a variety of experience - whether accident, abuse, or injury. Shari Botwin shows readers, through personal stories, how many who have experienced the worst kinds of trauma have managed to move on and thrive beyond their experiences.

Often, those who live through trauma come away with feelings
Published November 4th 2019 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Thriving After Trauma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thriving After Trauma

Start your review of Thriving After Trauma: Stories of Living and Healing
Donna Hines
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
As a survivor of abuse to another I simply will say, Thank you for telling your story!
In helping others heal it's important we all share our stories and never remain silent and I'm sorry you've endured such pain.
While many repress those memories resulting in anxiety, depression, PTSD, disassociation, and so much more it's important to remember you are not to blame.
Never feel silenced and never live in fear!
In order to thrive after abuse and trauma one must resort to setting boundaries, self love
Chari Regina
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shari Botwin has given the world an incredible piece of healing work here. Anyone who has experienced trauma or knows someone who has will benefit from this book. Shari shares her own personal stories as well as stories of others who have experienced a variety of traumas.

Shari has over 2 decades of experience as a clinician and it is obvious that she knows trauma healing well. Her tips are practical and if applied will lead to great healing. This book really does lead us to THRIVE in light of t
Laura Farber
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

Sooo many feels, relatable moments and things to remember. Love when memories are described and how they relate to the present moment. The helpful healing strategies following each chapter are like a mini self-help workshop.

I could really feel Botwin's strength, courage, and humility throughout... as well as everyone else featured.

**This book can be a kickstarter for anyone not ready or willing to tell/share their "trauma" story -- or for those working on processing their own trauma.

Highly
Judy Rabinor
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing

As a trauma survivor and therapist, Shari has beautifully documented not only her own recovery, but the recovery of scores of others she has treated over the past 20 years. What impresses me most about this engaging, personal book, is Shari’s personal honesty that life after trauma can be rich, meaningful and wonderful, despite the fact that trauma survivors will unexpectedly find themselves facing memories feelings and fears related to their abuse. Her book illustrates how we never totally get
Jane McFarland
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After hearing a portion of Shari’s story during an interview, I rushed to by her book Thriving After Trauma: Stories of Living and Healing. The stories she shares, hers as well as those of others, are tough to digest emotionally and sensitive in nature but are so important. Trauma affects everyone – the victims, the survivors, the perpetrators, and all of their families.

As someone who never really experienced trauma, but did witness it, I was able to find something relatable in each of the stori
Yehuda Ahronov
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an incredible book did I read. Written by Shari Botwin, a therapist who provides the reader with true stories of some of her patients on the trauma they have gone thru and dealt through therapy by overcoming their issues in life.

Thriving thru trauma, goes into the depths of real patients' lives and therapy showing how people who have gone through terrible traumas have overcome and moved on to live happy and nourishing lives.

The book is also filled with her tips and knowledge of therapy
Renee Gaughran
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thriving After Trauma is an emotionally gripping read that is both heartbreaking and inspiring. Sexual abuse is such a tough subject to discuss, and sadly many people hide and feel shame because of their physical abuse. By sharing her personal experience, Shari helps readers understand that they are not alone. Many people have suffered abuse in silence, yet just as many have spoken out, gotten support and learned how to be happy, successful people. Shari discusses how this healing process is dif ...more
Julie
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully written book is the most authentic read. Shari dives into her own personal story of trauma, abuse, and healing. She talks about how it has shaped her private practice in helping those suffering with similar traumatic experiences. Overcoming PTSD along with the pain and suffering associated with it. She shares many examples of different stories, but the link that ties it all together is every story is one of hope and healing. Shari’s book is a must read with so much self help. Sh ...more
Rachel Baer
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book out of curiosity after finding it in the new release section in the library. It’s so good I don’t want to return it. I’ll be buying my own copy so that I can highlight sections that stand out to me.
The most helpful part for me was the chapter on telling your story, facing your fears of speaking out & finding freedom.
So inspiring & encouraging. Thank you Shari for such a helpful transformational book.
Michele Milgram
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a survivor of multiple traumas, I LOVED everything about this book. It was most relatable. The relationships between the patients and their therapist gave me as much hope as their stories of thriving and healing. May we all find the way to heal and the right messenger to guide us!
Sandy Joy
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When you share your story with the world, you heal yourself and you heal the World. That is what Ms.Botwin has done in her book with such beautiful honesty and her truth. Much needed, thank you
Stephanie
Dear Shari,

I picked up this book because I am a survivor of domestic violence who is trying to thrive after trauma. I have been successful thus far but there is always room for improvement. I learned a lot from reading your book and for that I am grateful. I now have the words to explain what are some of my emotions and feelings. I also now know where my binge eating disorder originates and will take the steps to vanquish the urges.

I loved how you brought in real stories, not only from yoursel
Major Reader
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for everyone—not only for people navigating their way through trauma, but for those who know someone who is doing so. Beautifully written, engaging, and deeply personal, this book is instrumental in helping people know that they are not alone, and offers hope by showing the path forward. As both a counselor and survivor of abuse herself, author Shari Botwin has a powerful perspective, and she uses the power of personal stories, including her own, to help survivors of sex ...more
Lisa Zarcone
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read book for all who have been through trauma and abuse. Shari Botwin touches upon so many aspects of real life issues. Through her work, research and personal story, Botwin does not hold back. I admire her courage to incorporate her own life struggles along side her patients. Shari teaches us that we all have a story, and it is important to share it. There are many helpful tools in this book that so many people can benefit from. Thank you for writing this important book.
Mark Syron
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
this is a very impactful book on looking at trauma symptoms in a way that amazes me. Symptoms of trauma like substance abuse or eating disorders (ED) are something that I never understood could be about trauma to the degree that the book describes. The author lays out examples of how clients experienced their trauma and how they began to heal and that just left hope for me, and hopefully others that one can thrive after trauma.

The flow of the book is cool, easy, yet hard only in the fact that it
Ale Xan Drea
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it

As a survivor of multiple traumas, I can honestly say I’m able to relate to many of the stories told in this book. Although I’ve read many survivors’ stories from various medias including in person, it never cease to amaze me how people manage to cope and thrive after experiencing horrendous traumas when they decided to seek professional help from competent therapists.

One of the things I like most is that the author isn’t afraid to use her gut instinct to sense something is amiss with her patie
Robyn Goldberg
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shari wrote a wonderful book on how to thrive after trauma. Through courage Shari shares her story, with including stories from others. Throughout the book she provides bullet points to help an individual let go of the past, coping strategies for handling loss and how to take care of oneself. I love that after each section Shari provides all types of techniques and "thought" that the person struggling has easy to incorporate exercises. It's as if you have Shari sitting with you and guiding you t ...more
Jane Shure
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Written by a psychotherapist who is also a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, this book explains the inexplicable. Traumatic experiences in childhood happen when the brain can’t make sense of the power dynamics inherent in abuse.

Everything gets explained in simplistic terms that hold the innocent child as the one to blame. Shame abounds and the narrative of “it’s my fault” takes hold.

In Thriving After Trauma, Shari Botwin shows us her giftedness as a teacher. She weaves together lessons from
Cathy Jamison
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shari Botwin does a great job of teaching about trauma and sharing stories of trauma. Shari bravely tells the story of her own abuse and trauma and shows us there is light and we can all thrive.
Honeybee26
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
just your typical inspiration and story book about trauma and life.
Sheryn Silvestre

• Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier
  • Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past-Life Memories
  • The Last Time I Lied
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • The Coming Storm
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • Many Lives, Many Masters: The True Story of a Prominent Psychiatrist, His Young Patient, and the Past Life Therapy That Changed Both Their Lives
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World