Start by marking “The Landowner's Secret” as Want to Read:
The Landowner's Secret

The Landowner's Secret

New South Wales, 1885

When Alice Ryan wakes to find thugs surrounding her cottage, on the hunt for her no-good brother, she escapes into the surrounding bush.

It is wealthy landowner Robert Farrer who finds her the next morning, dishevelled, injured, and utterly unwilling to share what she knows. With criminals on the loose and rumours that reckless bushrangers have returned
Published September 1st 2019 by Escape Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Landowner's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Landowner's Secret

Start your review of The Landowner's Secret
Mimi Matthews
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely debut from author Sonya Heaney. This historical romance is set in New South Wales, circa 1885, and the flora and fauna of Australia are very much a part of how the hero, Robert Farrer, and heroine, Alice Ryan, meet and fall in love (spoiler: it involves a spider bite). The growing romance is sweet and filled with great romantic tension. I really enjoyed it.
Elodie
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can two very different persons, from both side of the fence find a way to anothers heart?

I confess I didnt know what to expect from this book, it was my first time reading a romance set in Australia, if I forgot some books by Colleen McCullough 2/3 decades back and it was no historical.
I just loved it, I was unable to put it down until I turned the last page.
Mrs Sonya Heaney brought her characters to life with her vivid and colorful descriptions of the flora and fauna in these newly inhabited
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Alice Ryan has been living on her own. Her parents are both deceased and her unreliable brother has left her to fend for herself once again. Late one night, she awakes to the sound of men surrounding her cottage, knowing the danger she is in, she makes a run for it into the nearby bush. Eventually she is able to lose them, but she spends the night huddled in hiding.

The following morning, Robert Farrer, with the help of his dog, stumble across her. She is largely unresponsive and clearly ailing
Lily Malone
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one's a little tricky for me to review.
After what I thought was an excellent start, with high stakes and a whole lot of intrigue and drama, I found things slowed to the point where I'd almost decided this one wasn't for me.
But what kept me reading (and I'm glad I kept reading) was a real love of this spunky little heroine, Alice. She is just a classic character - the scrapes she got into - her audacity and courage - Alice really appealed to me.
I also particularly liked her honesty, and that
Alicia
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading a historical romance set in Australia and it was amazing. I felt utterly transported there. I had a hard time putting this one down. This was a slow burn with a bit of suspense mixed in.
Alice awakes as thugs surround her cottage looking for her brother. She escapes into the surrounding bush and the next morning Robert finds her injured and unable to communicate what she knows. With outlaws somewhere out there roaming the bush Robert is intent to keep her out of
Bec
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-own, own, read-2020
See this review on Instragram

The Good
+ Aussie author! Writing an Australian historical novel! I've been reading so much historical romance recently, it was nice to jump into something set in my own country. It certainly gave me a good taste and now I want more Aussie historical romance (please send me recs!)

+ Very strong beginning. It's written in present tense and grabs you straight away. I'm very interested in seeing if Sonya Heaney's next books are similar, since this is the author's debut

Elaine
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It's my first time reading a historical fiction based in Australia. A change in scenery from the usual is always nice, and I'm glad for all the descriptions of the country. The characters are pretty likeable too; hardly anything to find fault in, other than the fact that there's nothing special about it.

It is in the middle of the night when Alice Ryan is awoken from her slumber. Men have arrived at her home to find her brother, who has gone missing. To save herself, she decides to run into the
Claire
eARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley

A thoroughly enjoyable trip to the Australian countryside! The late-1800s time period and the rural Australian setting made this a great escape from "ballroom" historicals. Throw in a slow and sweet romance and a dash of mystery and this was a lovely little read that I'm glad I took a chance on - proving that advertising can work, I saw this in a sidebar ad on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books and liked the cover, so I requested it on NetGalley.

Alice Ryan,
Meghan Lloyd
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know what it is about Australia-based romance, but every time I read one, I feel like we need more Australia in our lives. The history of Australia is one that I don't think is taught enough in American schools, and I find it so rich and fascinating. This being a historical romance taking place in the late 19th century, you get an idea of what life was like back then, the different social classes among the people in the Australian bush, and how much of English society was brought over ...more
SH
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Landowners Secret, presents the reality of the Australian outback, with its vividly described landscape. The harsh nature of the outback is well detailed, yet its beauty is also clearly evident. Having grown up in an Australian country town, I could appreciate Alices fear of spiders throughout the book. The story begins with Alice fleeing her home, when she hears men outside in pursuit of her missing brother. When Robert Farrer, the landowner of ,,,,, finds her, she is injured by what is ...more
Patti Wolff
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The Landowner's Secret" is the story of a couple finding love in 1880s colonial Australia, despite being from quite different social classes. Robert Farrer, wealthy landowner, rescues Alice Ryan, a poor woman living nearby, and takes her to his home for her own safety.

The description of the flora and fauna of Australia is lovely and evocative, giving one a real feel for the location. Where I live there are flocks of geese or crows; here there are flocks of cockatoos. Alice, although ignorant of
Brenda
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is wealthy landowner Robert Farrer who finds her the next morning, disheveled, injured, and utterly unwilling to share what she knows. With criminals on the loose and rumors that reckless bush rangers have returned to the area, Robert is determined to keep Alice out of danger.
What Robert doesnt expect is his growing attraction to the forthright, unruly woman
Dot Salvagin
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been following Sonya Heaney's blog for a couple of years and when she said her first book was going to be published I was looking forward to reading it. But Wow! I did not expect a first book to be this good!

The story is kicked off with a life and death run through the Australian Bush and then it is a stubborn Alice vs a rather level headed Robert. Back in 1885 Australia there were the usual Victorian ideas of propriety and Alice under the roof of a bachelor was a big no-no. Robert's
Asera
Oct 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
= Read this book from NetGalley UK in exchange for a fair review. =

My first historical romance read set in New South Wales, Australia. The hero Robert Farrer is an upright fellow setting out to do the right thing by his neighbour Alice Ryan after she was found in the bush all alone.

Being offered safe haven was not what Alice was expecting but soon relented. All while reading, I hoped that the motivations of both characters were explored further. There was so much potential here. source of
Rachel Mans Mckenny
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Heaney's unlikely heroine/hero pairing in The Landowner's Secret. Set in rugged South Wales, the novel follows Alice Ryan, a spitfire orphan with a rogue brother. When her brother's band attacks her house late at night, Alice runs-- and ends up straight in the care of local landowner Robert Farrer. Farrer plays into many of the uppercrust, educated expectations of a landowner, but sets himself apart with his sense of humor, his love of wineries, and his past.

This book is so well plotted!
Marianne Denning
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I took forever to open this book, and now I'm so happy I did!

Robert is an honorable man trying to make it in the bush country of Australia. Alice is a sweet girl, trying to just survive the bush. Their story is compelling...we see each character grow because of their relationship. Strength they never knew they had... There are very interesting secondary characters. and I hope we get to read their stories.
Sarah Southerland
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after reading a review by one of my favorite new authors. It is not a clean romance and does contain a sex scene between a newly married couple (not graphic). And some language. I mention this only for people who follow me for clean books to read.

Overall the book is delightful and fun. I loved it and will read more by this new author in the future.
Brooke Norsworthy
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good vacation read - I liked the characters, the love story and the Australian bush setting. The romance tag is a bit misleading because it had plenty of soul and style with a bit of romance thrown in that was nicely done and key to the story/characters. ...more
Amy Mannette
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The Landowner's Secret is set in Australia in the 1880's, Alice Ryan is a young woman who is on her own and runs into trouble with friends of her absent brother. Her wealthy neighbor, Robert Farrer comes to her aid and takes her in. Despite their differences in social status they wed. Alice must learn her new place in society as Robert tries to unravel the mysterious men who chased Alice from her home and threaten the safety of the town.

As they try and build their relationship, they slowly
Kate
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I was able to read an early copy of this book.

This was my first read from Sonya Heaney. It is set in 1880s Australia and is the story of Alice and Robert. I enjoyed the historical aspects of the story. However, I did not get a lot from the building of the relationship. I saw the affection, but there wasn't a lot of display of love. There also wasn't a lot to the secrets aspect of the story. Alice was pretty forthright and Robert had something from his past that he did not talk directly about,
HistRomFan
Mar 09, 2020

• The Bushranger's Wife
  • The Outcast Girls
  • The Child On Platform One: Inspired by the children who escaped the Holocaust
  • The Lady's Deception (Rogues and Rebels, #3)
  • The Winter Companion (Parish Orphans of Devon, #4)
  • A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)
  • The Spitfire (Wicked Wallflowers, #5)
  • His Secret Family: An absolutely emotional page turner
  • The Widow of Rose House
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • A Rake's Rebellion (Rake Trilogy, #3)
  • Diamond in the Rogue
  • Mercy Road
  • Worth the Wait (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn #4)
  • The Man She Married
  • The Enforcer (Fire’s Edge, #3)
  • Seduction on a Snowy Night
  • The Work of Art
Sonya Heaney began her professional life aged eight, as the Changeling in Queensland Ballets A Midsummer Nights Dream. After many more years of hard work, even more blisters, and plenty of pretty tutus, one too many injuries forced her out of her pointe shoes.

Between then and now she has worked in a posh Dublin hotel (that didnt last long), pulled pints in London pubs (that lasted years), taught