Start by marking “Song of Shadows (The Venatrix Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Song of Shadows (The Venatrix Chronicles, #0.5)

Song of Shadows

(The Venatrix Chronicles 0.5)

Available for FREE on Author's Website

Hollis trained for years to master the possessing spirit inside her. One wrong move and the spirit will overwhelm her body and damn her soul . . . but as long as she maintains control, Hollis wields incredible magic in the service of her Goddess.

Fendrel is her partner and fellow soldier in the war against heretic witches. Together t
Published April 2019 by FireWyrm Books

To ask other readers questions about Song of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of Shadows

Suzannah
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, rating-pg-13
SO EXCITED YOU PEOPLE

This is an introductory short novel to a series I've been eagerly anticipating for a few years, and it didn't disappoint. Sylvia Mercedes delivers a fast-paced story with lively characters, fabulous worldbuilding, and an ending that will crush your heart in the best possible way. Word is that this story takes place twenty-five years before the main series, and I can't wait to see these characters when they're middle-aged and gruff!!!

But my absolutely most favourite thing abo
Emily
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Song of Shadows by Sylvia Mercedes
*****5*****

I loved this book. The story, the world-building (wow the world-building) and the characters. Ms. Mercedes has launched a truly fabulous first book and I want more. August and the release of Daughter of Shades cannot come soon enough.

I think the most enjoyable part of this book for me was the world-building. The magic and setting are truly unique. This is a quick read but doesn't fall short in context by comparison to it's smaller word count. Highly r
Riddhi
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love the story and I love the characters. It is totally different and fantastic. I am so excited for the series.
Janine
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, indie, owned
Review coming shortly.
Laura Freer Henderson
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Throne of Glass, Name of the Wind, and Way of Kings
Shelves: anticipation
Highly enjoyable fantasy world with intriguing lore and solid characters, this short read manages to end its story arc in a satisfying way while tantalizing you with the next tale. The reader is left with a sense of depth ranging beyond the story of the novella, promising a complicated philosophical worldview within the coating of a classic "touch not" smoldering romance. I would say it's an unusual but well-crafted blend of the world-building of a Patrick Rothfuss work, with the immediate appea ...more
Emma
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
If The Witcher had a baby with Sabriel (no Geralt, not literally), the midwife being Rowena Cory Daniells, I think it would be a bit like this. A uniquely bleak kind of epic fantasy with a magic system that in itself is one of a kind.

A 4.5 star read... With a few reservations stopping it for going to whole 5 star way.

It's the story of Hollis, a Venatrix - one who fights the dakrness by inviting the darkness to share its power while sharing her body... At the risk of her own soul. Her world is r
Ariel Masters
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have waited and waited -AND WAITED- for the release of this series by Sylvia Mercedes, and I'm delighted with this first novella. I can't compare it with other books because I've never read anything like it before; fantasy is a rather new genre for me. (As in the past year and a half). I would be surprised if there is another series similar.

I don't know where I stand with the world of this story. Don't get me wrong! I love the book and the characters, but when I read I try, naturally, to find
Caitlin
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction, favorites
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

This was a nice surprise! I ran across this book on social media, downloaded it for free after subscribing to the author's mailing list, and then binge read it in one day.

I'm a big lover of fantasy, but it's getting harder and harder to find something new from the genre. Song of Shadows is something new. The world Sylvia Mercedes has crafted uses similar elements from other fantasy stories but then takes it in a completely new and refreshing way. I loved every second of
Natasha Clark-French
I liked this book but I'm really glad I read it after reading Daughter of Shades because my love for that book helped me like this book. I didn't realize how the shades were treated by their hosts because Ayleth and and her shade are more like caring team mates or even family, while everyone else treats their shades like dangerous enemies they're forced to team up with. Maybe because the series is new I don't truly see how dangerous the shades are but I think they could be good teammates if trus ...more
Nicole
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel was a great read! The author weaves an interesting tale, filled with twists. Hollis as a young child is given to Saint Evander's Order to train to become a venatrix, one who has a spirit inside of her and must control it, otherwise it will take its control. They serve the Goddess and protect those from the Witch Queen and the Dread Odile. Hollis and her partner, Fendrel, a venator, are assigned a mission to bring in asset or kill him if the mission will be a failure. Hollis and Fendre ...more
Books=Life
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this intricate plot line. The world building was very complex and nearly overwhelmingly at first, but as time went on I began to understand the unique names of the different types of people.

Sharing a soul with a shade has never been done before to my knowledge, so that as well was a nice surprise.

At first I found Fendrel’s character to be too stoic, but he grew on me.

The seeker provided a much needed element for Hollis’ character, and I think he turned out to be one of my favorite chara
issa
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this.
The entire concept of magic was very well thought out and interesting.
The plot was action packed and moved at a fast pace.
The worldbuilding was my favourite part I loved the concept of the shade posession on an individual.
In regards to the characters Hollis was a definite fave, though for some reason I really liked the Seer aswell.
At the start it was kinda hard to get into but as the novel went on it got really immersive.

Overall I found it stunning and I'll look forwar
Robin
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm hooked. I have to know what happens next. :) Well done, Sylvia Mercedes! I'm so happy to have had a chance to read such a fine piece of fantasy literature. The characters, world building, plot, all are extremely well done. I was able to immerse myself in the world and relate to the characters. I saw what they saw and felt what they felt. I read this and as a fairly new, fantasy author, I thought, "#goals." So if you like fantasy books, give this one a try. It's a winner!
Esther Van Dyke
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Song of Shadows! S. Mercedes' characters drew me in. There's so much revealed and yet so much still to discover about this world! The motivations of each of the characters is very strong and the tension Mercedes creates between their different wills/desires is well-developed. It's especially great that this is just the first book in a series! I look forward to uncovering more of this world.
Suzanne G
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
While it took me a couple of chapters to get into this book, I am glad I persevered with it.
A lot of books these days seem to be a regurgitation of the same ideas but Sylvia has a fantastic new idea with the way her shade possession works and how they are controlled by their hosts. I can't wait to read more.
Kenneth Martin
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read with strong believable characters and evil villains. Strange at first until you get used to the new words and language. Only suggestion is put the explanation glossary at the beginning instead of the end because by then you've worked out their meaning. Can't wait to get into the next one in the series.
Kenny Martin.
Alyssa Marie
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a gem!
It is a short one but every page is action packed. You're in between wanting to finish the book to find out what happens yet you don't want it to end. Hollis' adventures and fight scenes leaves you breathless. This book is so hard to put down so you need to squeeze it into your busy schedule. Truly loved it!
L. Danvers
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mark my words, Sylvia Mercedes is an author to watch. Song of Shadows was a beautifully woven fantasy novel that readers are sure to devour. Between the masterful worldbuilding and action-packed storyline, I have no doubt that The Venatrix Chronicles is going to be one seriously addicting series.
Sian Dawes
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved loved loveeeeeed this book!!! I loved the authors writing and story building, wayyy more than I expected to! I can’t wait for the next instalment of the series!
Samie Rood
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. I loved every part if this truly awesome world that Sylvia put together and cannot wait for the next one to come out. Keep up the amazing work!
Holly
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC! An extremely enjoyable book that you are unable to put down. The characters are wonderful and I can’t wait to find out the next part to Hollis’ journey! So excited for book 2!
Rhonda Pohl
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hollis is feisty! Action packed adventure with a touch of romance and a bit of reality. A fantastic story of otherworldly situations with bits of too human exhaustion and self doubt.
Jackie
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a fantasy story. Hollis so far has control over the demon inside, if she doesn’t , big trouble. Loved it. Ready for more.
Leonie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting characters and a unique world make this a great read. Highly recommended I can’t wait to read more.
Angela Gutierrez
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great beginning to a series. I'm already in love with the characters and the story, and I cannot wait to read more.
Claire Luana
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful start to an intriguing new series! I loved the world Sylvia created, especially the magic system, which was unlike anything I'd read before. Can't wait to read on!
Morgan Blomstedt
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. I found it a very fresh take and enjoyed reading it. I look forward to more from Sylvia Mercedes.
Joe Joe
May 20, 2019
Karie
Jun 22, 2019
Amy R'Jose-Ambrad
Jun 04, 2019
Hi, there. I'm Sylvia: cat-lover, tea-drinker, book-addict, and avid fan of the Kickbutt Heroine Fantasy Genre! If you like reading about tough heroines with extraordinary powers facing their demons and saving their loved ones . . . then we ought to be friends!

Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter. You get my novel, Song of Shadows, for FREE when you sign up!

The Venatrix Chronicles (1 books)
  • Daughter of Shades (The Venatrix Chronicles, #1)