Start by marking “The List of Things That Will Not Change” as Want to Read:

The List of Things That Will Not Change

After her parents' divorce, Bea's life became different in many ways. But she can always look back at the list she keeps in her green notebook to remember the things that will stay the same. The first and most important: Mom and Dad will always love Bea, and each other.

When Dad tells Bea that he and his boyfriend, Jesse, are getting married, Bea is thrilled. Bea loves
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Wendy Lamb Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 07, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of ten advance copies of THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE by Rebecca Stead, Newbery Award-winning author of WHEN ...more

Format: Print book

Hannah
    Aug 14, 2019 added it
    Shelves: middle-grade, 2019
    Things That Will Not Change:
    1. Rebecca Stead writes pitch-perfect middle grade.
    2. She really GETS how kids think and act, especially around guilt and anxiety.
    3. She writes vivid characters who jump off the page.
    4. She writes warm, loving families of all kinds.
    5. THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE is a book you won't want to put down, even after you've finished.
    Monica Edinger
    Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wowee. This is one of the most piercing character-focused middle-grade books I've ever read. Stead reaches deep into protagonist Bea's very soul here as she copes with various elements in her life. Beautiful and spare as to expect from Stead.
    Trin
    Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wholesome, heartfelt, adorable -- but also incredibly real, never sugar-coated. Stead is a master of POV. I flew through this, got choked up, had all the feelings. A delight.
    Ivonne Rovira
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: romantics
    Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
    Bea’s parents have divorced; however, one thing they have gifted her is the green notebook that contains “Things that won’t EVER change.” Foremost is that her parents will always love her and that they will always love each other, just in a different way.

But two years after the divorce, Dan is getting married again. And things are changing at a whirlwind rate.

I have loved all of Rebecca Stead’s books that I’ve read: Newbery Award-winning When You Reach Me, Liar & Spy and Bob. And now The
    DaNae
    Subtle and powerful. I wish I'd had this to read as a child.
    Dawn
    Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
    Bea has a guilty conscience. Because of her parents divorce a few years ago, she sees a therapist who helps her work through her worries. Through the book, she works out the pressing worries.
    The ending of the book brings you back to the beginning where Bea told a short story. The whole book is told through her viewpoint. She talks about troubling things with friends at school, getting a new sister when her dad remarries and problems with her cousins. The book is an easy read and can easily be
    Patrick
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Absolute perfection. So happy I got to read an advanced copy. So sad other readers will have to wait so long to read. Bea will be in my heart for a long long time.
    Kristen Unger
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I’d love to place this in the hands of every anxious kid out there. Stead has not forgotten all the paralyzing parts of growing up and her readers all benefit from the way she writes from a place of compassion for our younger, often muddled selves.
    Jordan Henrichs
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Rebecca Stead digs deep, real deep, into the mind of her protagonist in The List Of Things That Will Not Change. The result is brilliantly beautiful at times, but frustratingly boring at other times.

The List of Things I Liked About This Book:
    1. Bea is extremely thoughtful. She doesn’t skirt details. Even the most minor things. I said, Stead digs deep. Maybe deeper than any middle grade first-person novel I can remember reading.
    2. Bea’s telling of her story feels genuine. Like a kid telling you a
    Melodie Pennington
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: children-s-arcs
    *I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Rebecca Stead does it again.
    There's no doubt in my mind that this lovely book will be nominated for awards.

The List of Things That Will Not Change captures the beautiful complexity of families: making new ones, changing existing ones, coming together, falling apart. Extended families, blended families, single parents.

It's exceedingly rare for a middle-grade novel to explore LGBTQ themes, but Stead
    Amy B.
    Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The thing about Rebecca Stead's books is that they seem so simple, but of course, they're not. The prose is straight-forward and the stories, although they may have those epic twists, are also so cozy and every-day. I was fortunate to receive an arc of this book and felt the familiar warmth that seems to come with every Rebecca Stead book - I will add this one to my elementary school collection when it comes out.
    Bel
    Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I *loved* this mid grade book. The characters feel so real that you could almost touch them. I was truly sorry when the book was over.
    Laurie
    Dec 02, 2019 added it
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    Gosh, I love Rebecca Stead’s books. Her characters are so real, so compelling, and so lovingly depicted. I especially appreciate the way she explores a kid’s experience with anxiety and therapy in this wonderful story of love and family.
    Gahyun
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I loved every part of this book from the start through the end I totally recommend
    Mandy
    Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Got the ARC. A good read.
    Tara
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A beautiful read from one of the best in middle grade. Stead gives us fully fleshed characters that are beautiful and flawed and real. I appreciate her giving readers access to feelings of guilt, anger, forgiveness, and most of all, love. I am also thankful that she didn’t shy away from family confrontation that is uncomfortable and unfinished. We take people where they are, we lose people we love, we are disappointed in those we care about, but we continue to live and to love.
    Jen Petro-Roy
    Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: middle-grade, arc, lgbtq, 2019
    Wow.
    Laura Hill
    Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to Wendy Lamb Books and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. The book will be published on April 7th, 2020.

10-year old Bea has largely adjusted to the big changes in her life — 2 years before her parents divorced so that her father could be the gay man he had always known himself to be. Bea alternated living with each parent day by day and weekend by weekend. Now her father and his boyfriend Jesse are getting married and Bea might be
    Kristine
    Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Playfully written without too much drama, this is a great choice for middle grade readers looking for more complex realistic fiction. It is the story of Bea, whose father is about to get remarried to his boyfriend, Jesse. Bea loves her dad and Jesse. She loves her mom. And they love her. It’s at the top of her list of things that won’t ever change. But during the days leading up to the wedding, some uncomfortable things come to light. Bea’s courage and honestly help see her through. Bea learns ...more
    CEB Library
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What I really love about this book is the protagonist's authentic voice.

(Shout out to all you 6 + 1 Writing Traits educators!)

The story arch truly follows the perspective of the main character, with no omniscient narrator and no manipulation through 'adult wisdom'. An adult reader may be able to see, and fear, the ramifications of her actions, but Bea can't, and it makes this book magical.
    Robin
    Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Rebecca Stead is one of my favorite authors. She can flat out write and tell a story.
    Ms. Yingling
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
    E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Bea's parents are divorced, but she keeps a list that reassures her that her life is still okay. They have shared custody, and live close to each other, so she is able to keep herself fairly organized, although having two reminders about school projects would help. Her father has a posh restaurant, Beatrice, and his partner, Jesse works there. Jesse's sister Sheila frequently babysits her. She has good friends in Lizette and Angus, and sees a therapist, Miriam, to
    Josephine
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: newbery-2021
    Bea is ten years old and is a mature fifth grader.
    This is a chronicle of her reflectios of her past and evolving current situation.

In her short past she has some regrets. Well, don’t we all! The birthday party where she played musical chairs and when no chair was a available when the music stopped, she pushed her best friend off a chair so not to lose. Her friend forgave her, but his mother still holds a grudge over it.

When she was eight, her mother and father called her in for a meeting and
    Kidlitter
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
    A DRC was provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Rebecca Stead continues to cement her position as one of the most reliably excellent middle grade and tween fiction writers, producing another relatable but quirky work. The List of Things That Will Not Change is about feisty fifth-grader Bea's ups and downs navigating the complexity of contemporary families. Her parents are divorced and though she knows their love for her is steadfast, she struggles at times to reconcile
    Laura Gardner
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    /5 for this NEW book by @rebstead that is JUST PERFECT. Thanks to @randomhousekids for the free book to share with @kidlitexchange !
    Divorce, remarriage, homophobia, anxiety, and above all LOVE. This book is destined to be a hit with individuals and teachers for group read aloud. There is so much to unpack in this slim novel!
    Bea has a lot going on, but luckily she is wrapped in love—love from her mom, her dad, her dad’s fiancé Jesse, her aunt-to-be and babysitter Sheila and her friends.
    Jessica
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
    It was a cute story.
    I enjoyed the fact that Bea was seeing a therapist and had interesting insights and ways to describe anger and other things she was feeling. I think that’s healthy for middle grade readers to see. I also connected to her because I, too, desperately wanted a sister when I was growing up(had two brothers then ended up having three sons-what the heck, Universe?!).
    This book is also full of lovable characters. You cannot hemp but love her mom and dad and how they are
    Heather
    Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Bea is twelve, but this is the story of the year she was ten. Because that was the year she discovered a lot of truths, often with the help of her therapist, Miriam. There was a lot going on that year, what with her dad getting remarried, her cousin Angelica suffering from Bell's Palsy, and the anticipation of getting a new sister. It's no wonder Bea's worries were getting the better of her. What sets this book apart from the next realistic fiction story about a kid with anxiety is Rebecca ...more
    Niki
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to the author and publisher for sending an ARC for #bookportage to review.

Bea and her charming family will win you over in Rebecca Stead's sweet middle grade novel, The List of Things That Will Not Change. Bea's dad is about to get married to his partner Jesse and Bea is keen to have Jesse's daughter as her new sister.

A lot of important topics are woven into the storyline, including dealing with worries, same-sex marriages, blended families, and getting along with others, but the
    Lukas Holmes
    Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Well this was just outstanding. I've never read any of Rebecca Stead's books, but after this one, I'll be sure to pick up the rest. Her ability to capture the voice of Bea is astonishing. Her descriptions of guilt and anger and fear feel to true you can't help but be taken back to your own childhood. A really positive portrayal of therapy which I always appreciate.

But more than anything, the book is so layered. A story of family love that is changing and evolving seems to be the initial
    Aaron
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thanks to the author, and publisher for this copy to read and review with the group Book Portage.
    What I really loved about this book is how deeply we feel along with Bea as she goes through many life changing events. Her parents divorce, her father is about to remarry a man, she makes mistakes that anger her friends or classmates, and she is mistreated by friends and family as well.
    The List of Things That Will Not Change is a list in the book that keeps Bea grounded. When life feels a little
    « previous 1 3 next »

• The Line Tender
    • Beverly, Right Here
    • The Queen Bee and Me
    • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
    I love books but don't feel like stars capture what I want to say about them. Many of the books on my list are, in my opinion, amazing. Some I didn't like. But I give them all five stars, because stars make people - including me -- happy. Confused? Me too.

If you want to talk about any book I've read, I'm here.