Start by marking “The Unpublished David Ogilvy” as Want to Read:
The Unpublished David Ogilvy

The Unpublished David Ogilvy

This highly quotable new book contains ninety-six excerpts from Ogilvy's private and public papers, collected over five decades. This book is full of provocative insights into the creative process, what makes companies and individuals successful, the art of selling, business ethics, and the sources of happiness and fulfillment.
Published October 21st 1987 by Crown (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Unpublished David Ogilvy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unpublished David Ogilvy

Start your review of The Unpublished David Ogilvy
Philipp
Why do I have this book!?! I know nothing about advertising!

Surprisingly, it's not boring - I guess David Ogilvy is famous in the ad world (Wikipedia describes him as the 'father of advertising'), this book collects various speeches, memos and interviews contributed by his colleagues for Ogily's birthday. Since the book is literally a birthday present it's very uncritical, but there are still interesting points:

- I guess Ogilvy is directly responsible for those weird Coca-Cola TV ads. In this wo
Asra Ghouse
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Unpublished David Ogilvy was published as a surprise gift for Ogilvy's 75th birthday. Thank God for that! Every person associated with the creative arts MUST read this book. It's a quick read with letters, notes, memos, speeches and pictures of Ogilvy.

An interesting section is his speech on leadership. Ogilvy was keen on this subject towards the later years of life. But, my favourite section was the interview by his partner Joel Raphaelson. The creative genius of Ogilvy is evident from the i
Ved Gupta
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredible words and speeches from the father of Modern advertising. Must read for people who manage a few people under them directly. Most of the book is useful for large section of people and some part of the book will appeal to only those who work in creative industry.
Huyền Nguyễn
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ogilvy - đanh đá, chăm chỉ và luôn đầy cảm hứng!
(4 sao vì đọc phải dịch như dở hơi).
Jeremy
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Marketers, Entrepreneurs
Shelves: business, psychology
Unpublished David Ogilvy is a collection of Ogivly's writing compiled by his colleagues. It has a lot of good info for anyone who promotes a business or cause. Definitely a must read for marketers.
Benjamin Jozef de Leon
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a non-fiction book with so much gusto until this one. WOW!

I just gobbled his words like they were chocolates. :O
Lone Wong
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I immersed myself thoroughly from the beginning of the book. It's not a biography or memoirs of David Ogilvy. It's his aphorism about advertising. His philosophy about business, leadership, management.

This is a book unlike other. It's a birthday present from his devoted family and colleagues who collected more than twenty-five years of memos, letters, speeches, notes and interviews written and spoken by David Ogilvy himself.

Every word that he spilled during his speeches, every sentence he wrote
Prashanth Baskaran
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A great book to get to know a lot about Corporate Culture, Advertising Industry and David Ogilvy the man.

Simple collection of various memos, letters, excerpts from his speeches. Every page is kind-of filled with usable insights.
Japhia
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! This was the kind of inspiration I needed. David Ogilvy's character is so eccentric yet so human. He is brilliant and principled, and insightful book about him and many lessons that I could learn from him.
Росен Рашков
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Поглед към философията на Дейвид Огилви в поредица от негови писма, статии и речи.
Mikey Huzun
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous man. Marvelous read.
Deena
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was an easy whimsical book showing how quirky ogilvy could be but also very practical and clear and honest in his writing. Also witty and whimsical. Easy to read.
Dipra Lahiri
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of pragmatic advice on management that is universally applicable across industries.
Mitch
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Outstanding quick read. Actual memos and thoughts of a really top-notch leader and practitioner. Good for leaders in service organizations especially.
Christian Faller
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Only got really interesting towards the second half of the book, but there it picked up quite good and revealed some nuggets.
Sandra Vu
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
gem
Chiara Cokieng
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short (I read most of it on a one-hour flight from Virac to Manila) collection of excerpts from Ogilvy's private and public memos, letters, speeches, and interviews. Full of useful and insightful gems, Ogilvy felt real to me, like a mentor, not an author. Really enjoyed the book's format.

A recurring emphasis is old-fashioned hard work -- "Men die of boredom, psychological conflict, and disease. They never die of hard work." -- which I found very insightful, since it's so unfashionable
Prateek Keshari
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
David loved lists. Here's him on the qualification he looked for in leaders:

1. High standards of personal ethics.
2. Big people, without prettiness.
3. Guts under pressure, resilience in defeat.
4. Brilliant brains – not safe plodders. 5. A capacity for hard work and midnight oil.
6. Charisma – charm and persuasiveness.
7. A streak of unorthodoxy – creative innovators.
8. The courage to make tough decisions.
9. Inspiring enthusiasts – with thrust and gusto.

This book is a great insight
Shane Gillard
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I opened this book I didn't expect it to be such a collection of sage advice that would stick with me the way it did.

If you're looking for the more personable side to David Ogilvy, this book does it justice. It contains the insights into his work and personal life that are difficult to portray in a typical biography.

There's one particular thing I agree with him on, you'll never get better at writing unless you practice it every day.
Vassilena
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing, bio
Книжката е доста интересна и поднася много приятен поглед към един от най-интересните рекламисти в историята на този бранш. Огилви е точно такъв, какъвто си го представях - интересен, харизматичен, с любопитни истории и високо самочувствие (съвсем с покритие, но по онзи tongue in cheek начин, характерен за шотландците). Приятно е да се надникне в записките, думите и ума на такъв човек.
Max Williamson
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ogilvy is the finest writer of the 20th Century. He achieved this accolade without writing a novel or living in penury, which, as anyone will tell you, can be a real arse ache.

It's all so refreshing...it's all so Ogilvy...it's all so...'David'.

(No novelists were named in the Top 5. Ogilvy was followed by a former British Prime Minister, two journalists and a astronomer)
Fabian
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dezember-2016
A fun read. But not really with any depth. There are so few nuggets that it isnt worth my reading time. It's a decent book you are a manager and or want to know more about Ogilvys personality. But if you want useable knowledge for your business/life look somewhere els. Wasted 11€ right here.
Jose Antonio Alguacil
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant people, writes brilliant books. In this case we're talking about one of the top fathers of modern advertising. Brilliant advertisers unpublish great books.
Hard recommendation to all who still love that business.
Rudi Middleton
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stumbled across a range of books by, or about David Ogilvy but for what point? All I can say is, he's inspiring me today and that's testament to his thinking, writing, passion and drive. Read this book in hours!
Cj Rey
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a bit of a letdown compared to his other books: Confessions of an Advertising Man and Ogilvy on Advertising. Having said that, the final chapter, an interview with Ogilvy at age 75, made it worth the read.
Louise
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Offers great insight for anyone who wants to enter the advertising industry!
Tanvi Agarwal
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Average read - not very coherent - could have more context given of the speeches and memos written by DO
Zaved
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Epic! Brilliant!
Miguel Gonzalez
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This compilation includes Ogilvy's excellent memo about good writing. Read about it here, http://www.brainpickings.org/2012/02/... ...more
Skye Cardoz
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The man is a genius!!! Every marketer's favourite! If you love advertising, you HAVE to let this inspire you.
Read what David Ogilvy says about the Copywriting 1 1 Aug 04, 2017 06:12AM

• The 100 Greatest Advertisements 1852-1958: Who Wrote Them and What They Did
  • The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World
  • Marketing Aesthetics
  • Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
  • Principles for Success
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
  • The Politeness Of Princes And Other School Stories
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry
  • A Wealth of Common Sense: Why Simplicity Trumps Complexity in Any Investment Plan (Bloomberg)
  • Bad Money : Inside the NPA Mess and How it Threatens the Indian Banking System
  • Breaking Hate: Confronting the New Culture of Extremism
  • On the Edge: The Art of High-Impact Leadership
  • The Southwest Airlines Way
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • Standard Deviation
  • The Happy Prince and Other Tales
David Mackenzie Ogilvy was born in West Horsley, England, on June 23, 1911. He was educated at Fettes College in Edinburgh and at Christ Church, Oxford (although he didn't graduate).
david ogilvy After Oxford, Ogilvy went to Paris, where he worked in the kitchen of the Hotel Majestic. He learned discipline, management - and when to move on: "If I stayed at the Majestic I would have faced years of s

Related Articles

“Sound an alarm! Advertising, not deals, builds brands.” 8 likes
“1. First, we admire people who work hard. We dislike passengers who don’t pull their weight in the boat. 2. We admire people with first-class brains, because you cannot run a great advertising agency without brainy people. 3. We admire people who avoid politics – office politics, I mean. 4. We despise toadies who suck up to their bosses; they are generally the same people who bully their subordinates. 5. We admire the great professionals, the craftsmen who do their jobs with superlative excellence. We notice that these people always respect the professional expertise of their colleagues in other departments. 6. We admire people who hire subordinates who are good enough to succeed them. We pity people who are so insecure that they feel compelled to hire inferior specimens as their subordinates. 7. We admire people who build up and develop their subordinates, because this is the only way we can promote from within the ranks. We detest having to go outside to fill important jobs, and I look forward to the day when that will never be necessary. 8. We admire people who practice delegation. The more you delegate, the more responsibility will be loaded upon you. 9. We admire kindly people with gentle manners who treat other people as human beings – particularly the people who sell things to us. We abhor quarrelsome people. We abhor people who wage paper warfare. We abhor buck passers, and people who don’t tell the truth. 10. We admire well-organized people who keep their offices shipshape, and deliver their work on time. 11. We admire people who are good citizens in their communities – people who work for their local hospitals, their church, the PTA, the Community Chest and so on.” 0 likes