Start by marking “Iwo” as Want to Read:
Iwo

Iwo

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The story of one of the bloodiest battles in history, resulting in the raising of the American flag on Mt. Suribachi, is documented with a personal touch; the author himself was a member of that company. It is a searing and unique account of that battle, told from the perspective of both the gallant U.S. Marines who invaded the island and the brave Japanese soldiers who de ...more
Published September 2nd 2013 by US Naval Institute Press (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Iwo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iwo

Glen Robinson
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
As part of my ongoing research on a historical novel I want to write set in the 1930s and 40s, I bought this book on the Battle of Iwo Jima. My father was there as a radioman and gunner on a landing craft, and I had known some basic information about the battle, but this book did a good job of filling in the gaps. Further, Wheeler does a thorough job of including the visceral details that add both incredible realism and admiration for those who experienced this battle.

A wounded veteran of Iwo Ji
John Meitner
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: military, war-details
Certainly would not have wanted to be there, and willing to readily admit that each and every one of them was a hero, but the book didn't live up to my expectations, (however I'm not sure I can actually describe what I expected).
Mr. Wheeler describes hundreds, perhaps a thousand various incidents that occurred, and probably that's about all a guy can do to try to relate what he saw, and or learned of, (first hand from the actual participants), but after awhile there was so much similarity.......
Anthony
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Through February and March of 1945 the United States Marines punctuated their status as some of the best soldiers in the United States military on a tiny island North of the Marianas known as Iwo Jima. Richard Wheeler's book tells of the bloodiest battle in the Pacific during World War 2 and how the Fourth, and Fifth Division of the Fifth Amphibious Corps paid dearly for the volcanic island. February 19th the Marines landed thinking that the weeks of bombarding by the Navy and Air Force had weak ...more
João Martins
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good, almost day-by-day account of the Battle for Iwo Jima. Focuses a fair amount on the author's own company, but the other regiments and battalions are still accounted for. It also contains some small amount of information about the happenings on the Japanese side.

A good read. The casualty statistics provided throughout the book are heart-wrenching, as are the personal stories of bravery, pain, death and heroism.

Cheesy as it is, it Admiral Nimitz's quote deserves to be here: "Among the Ameri
Carolyn
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Very informative book on the WWII battle faught on the island of Iwo Jima. There were also human interest stories in between all the jargon of war strategy. A few stories coincided with the raising of the American flag told (and seen) in Flags of Our Fathers. The author also put in a few stories from the Japanese perspective of the battle.

Don't see this very often, but a small typo I came across in my copy of the book was two pages were switched around. But I was able to figure it out :)

D Day fo
Mark Mortensen
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: wwii, usmc
The author mentioned very interesting untold stories, some very griping and personal that will remain with the reader for a long time. However the 235 page book did not delve into the broad spectrum of the battle of Iwo Jima. There was no safe haven on any portion of the tiny island described by one aviator as “a fat pork chop, sizzling in the skillet”. The easy to identify simple map titled “Progress of the Attack to the North” gave further reason for me to retain the book. I see this book feat ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A day by day tale of the battle for Iwo Jima told from the viewpoints of the men who were ther from both sides.
Nate
Diane
Apr 27, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
More about Richard Wheeler