Start by marking “Grace Is Gone” as Want to Read:
Grace Is Gone

Grace Is Gone

From the bestselling author of If You Knew Her comes this harrowing tale of suspense—a story ripped from today’s headlines—of a tight-knit English community, who’s rocked by the murder of a mother and the mysterious disappearance of her daughter, and the secrets that lie concealed beneath a carefully constructed facade.

A small town’s beloved family.

A shocking, senseless cr
Published January 7th 2020 by Harper Paperbacks

Start your review of Grace Is Gone
Deanna
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2020

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

A gripping and addictive read!!

Cara Dorman knocks on the door of 52 Woodgreen Avenue. Her mother asked her to drop off some donated clothing to their friends and neighbors, Meg and Grace. Cara is about five years older than Grace. They were very close when they were younger, but lately, Cara doesn’t always know how to talk to Grace. Grace is very ill and is confined to a wheelchair. Cara feels guilty when she talks about her
Kaceey
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
3.75*
Grace has been quite ill most of her life. Heart problems…seizures, among countless other ailments. Her dear mother Meg has been raising Grace on her own. Over the years they’ve become the darlings of their community and blessed with all the support that comes with it! In return, they have gratefully given back equally to the towns people.

So when Meg is found brutally murdered and Grace is nowhere to be found, everyone comes together to find Grace and get some justice for poor Meg!

A solid m
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Do you love small town mysteries? I dooooo! Especially when they involve a small town in England. That just adds to the charm of it all. In Grace Is Gone, a well-loved family is attacked- the mother murdered, and the daughter has disappeared.

Meg, the mother, had escaped her abusive ex once before when he kidnapped their daughter, Grace. This time, it seems he may have returned and exacted revenge.

There are multiple viewpoints, and I loved the use of the diary entries. Grace and Meg were such gre
Louise Wilson
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ook is based on a true story. Grace is seventeen years old. She's dependent on her mother, Megan as she has several health issues. Megan has suffered abuse from her husband. Megan decides to take Grace and start a new life together. Their neighbour, Cara crops round to drop something off and discovers Megan, who's been brutally murdered. Grace is missing. Caras partner, Jon is a journalist. He goes to the scene even though theres an order preventing him from doing so.

What an intriguing read
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Grace Is Gone is inspired by a true story - what the? This is a sick and shocking story and to think that this actually did happen is terrifying. Exploring some deep themes, this was a quick, page turner of a book that I couldn't wait to see how it was going to end.

Meg and her daughter Grace are well loved and known in the community. So who would murder Meg? Next door neighbour and Grace's friend Cara finds Meg, brutally murdered - and Grace is nowhere to be seen. Grace is very ill and in a whee
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Grace Is Gone by Emily Elgar is inspired by a true story that I immediately recognized (I will try not to give it away in my review), and I really enjoyed Elgar's take on it right down to the last crazy chapter.

I loved Elgar's writing style, and I thought Grace Is Gone flowed really well. At times it was downright chilling, and towards the end I actually started to HAVE chills down my back. Even though I know the story it was based on well, I wasn't expecting some things that happene
Patricia
GRACE IS GONE is a novel concerning Meg and her daughter Grace. Meg is the caregiver for Grace who is severely disabled. Meg and Grace are beloved by their town. When Meg is murdered in a horrendous manner, and Grace is kidnapped, a journalist and a female neighbor begin to search for Grace which leads to many questions. The end result is rather horrifying and left me with some deep thinking. This is a very readable book, and I highly recommend it.
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Louise Wilson
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on a true story. Grace is seventeen years old. She's dependent on her mother, Megan as she has several health issues. Megan has suffered a use from her husband. Megan decides to take Grace and start a new life together. Their neighbour, Cara pops round to drop something off and discovers Megan who's been brutally murdered. Grace is missing. Cara's partner Jon is a journalist. He goes to the scene even though theres an order preventing ting him from doing so.

What an intriguing
TL
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I won this via goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
---

Great characters, good story. I liked Jon more than Cara but both POVs kept my attention and it wasn't jarring or boring going back and forth throughout.

I figured out one of the plot elements and was reminded early on if another case I saw on DatelineOnID (I think) some time ago. *I won't spoil it for you but the author mentions it after the story is done* A couple things I didn't expect and while
Liz Barnsley
Grace is Gone is a beautifully written page turner and if you know nothing of the case it is based on you will devour it- it's a twisty plot that is hugely compelling.

For me though the issue came with the fact that I am highly aware of the Gypsy Rose Blanchard case, a fascinating real life incident so for me ultimately Grace is Gone held no surprises- although I continued to the end because I was enjoying the writing and there were minor adjustments to the reality to be fair but nothing major e
Tracy Fenton
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, OMG and WTAF are the 3 main thoughts I had whilst reading Grace is Gone and the day after I finished the book my feelings haven’t changed that much except I realise that YOU will expect a little more detail from me in my review so bear with me.. I might start rambling:

Grace is Gone is inspired by a shocking true story, however I didn’t know that when I started reading it, so I went in “oblivious” to what the story is based on and started reading without a clue what was to come.

Grace is a 17
Ludwig Reads
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
17-year-old Grace went missing. The same day her mother was murdered. What the heck happened? This was a very interesting look into a real-life story about a mental disorder. I was drawn to so many aspects that made the story stand out, especially Grace’s character. Oh, what a character. And then I got to the reveal 70% in, and I couldn’t stop turning the pages until I found out what happened the night of the murder in the crazy final chapter.

The story’s told from the perspectives of Grace and t
Shalini
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A scary book which shook my insides, based on real life incidents.

Meg and Grace, mom and seriously ill daughter were the darling of the town when one night Meg was murdered brutally, and Grace vanished, probably kidnapped or killed. It took a journalist Jon and neighbor Cara all their skills to find her.

My first book by author Emily Elgar, the story brought a sinking tumoil in me. I had read enough to realize where the story was going, but the author's writing did its magic on me, and I was entr
Susan Hampson
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is based on a true story, that of Gypsy Rose Blanchard, which took place in the United States, an absolutely mind-blowing, harrowing event that scarred a whole community. I was mesmerised by the whole case. There is also another book to be published next month too with the author's own twist on it.
The author does disclose that this is her take on the true-life case but set in the UK. There are some additional characters used and a twist at the end but the flux of the story remains the
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Harper for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I talked about this book in my latest booktube video!

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Angie
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Stars: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

A familiar yet intense story line...

PLOT SUMMARY:
Meg is dead...she has been brutally murdered in her own home...and her invalid teenage daughter Grace is missing. Who would want to kill Meg, this pillar of the community, this saint who devoted her life to her daughter...never giving up on Grace no matter how sick she got. Well, regardless of how perfect she was, someone sure wanted her dead. And without her medication, how long will Grace last without her?

PROS and CONS:
Any true crim
Denise
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the second Emily Elgar book I have read in the past few weeks, and just as with "If You Knew Her," I thought this book had a great premise, great characters, and lots of twists and turns that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The book is set in a small London suburb, and everyone in town knows Meg Nichols and her severely ill teenage daughter, Grace. Meg has been the perfect mother - caring for Grace for years, and Grace is her best friend. When Meg is found brutally bludgeoned in her bed, and her
Carla Johnson-Hicks
On the day that Cara discovers her neighbour Meg's dead body, her severely disabled daughter, Grace, also disappears. As Cara, her mother and many volunteers begin looking for Grace, there is a feeling of hopelessness about finding her. She has been without her medication for days. Her father, Simon, is the natural suspect, but as Cara and Jon, a washed up journalist, begin digging, surprises come to light.

The story was told in three POVs. Cara, Jon and Grace through her diary that Cara has foun
Chloe
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Kristin (Always With a Book)
I absolutely loved this book and I went into it only reading the synopsis, not anything else and for that, I am so glad. I think this is one of those books where the less you know about it, the better. And for that every reason, my review is going to be a bit vague.

It wasn't until about halfway through that I realized where this book was going, or at least had an idea, and once I did, I knew exactly what was going on and believe it or not, was even more excited about the book. And it totally did
Diana Iozzia
"Grace is Gone"
Written by Emily Elgar
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

As impressed by Emily Elgar's first novel, "If You Knew Her", I felt extremely excited to read her next, "Grace is Gone". Unfortunately, my interest fell apart very quickly, once I had realized that this story was inspired by the Gypsy Rose Blanchard murder case. If you are not familiar with the case, teenage Gypsy killed her mother, after realizing that her mother had been drugging her and making her believe that she was sick with man
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
Once I picked this one up I had a hard time putting it down. It caught my attention from the start. The characters are well developed and the story line is pretty easy to follow. The things that happen are believable and the way everything is woven together is intriguing. Once you get to the last quarter of the book expect to stay up until you read the last page, it is that good. What an absolute mind trip this book was!
Hannah
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Grace, a 17-year old wheelchair-bound girl with multiple serious health problems is given a diary, she vows to find secrets she can write into it.
In the picturesque English town of Ashford, Grace and her mother Meghan are beloved members of the local community, which is always keen to help Grace with fundraisers. But when Meghan is found dead and Grace is missing, along with the only suspect: Meghan’s abusive ex-partner and father of Grace, it becomes apparent that many people in the commu
Liz Barnsley
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it

Debbie
Jan 19, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-n-f
********Spoiler Alert ******
Stopped reading halfway through, when I turned to the end of the book and read the epilogue what I'd been thinking was true.

This book is based on the story of Gypsy Rose Blanchard, I had the feeling while reading it. Why not come out and tell people if I wanted to read that story I would have done so.
Aggravated with the time I spent reading this book.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
The Gypsy Blanchard story fascinated me. I enjoyed DARLING ROSE GOLD, because is told a similar story in a campy manner. GRACE IS GONE adds nothing to the fiction or nonfiction on the topic of Münchausen’s Syndrome by Proxy.
Alexandra WhimsyPages
Reading «Grace is Gone» reminded me of two very distinct things:
- why thrillers and mysteries used to be my favorite genres, and also
- why I stopped reading them.

«Grace is Gone» combines some of the best traits of mysteries and thrillers - from an action-packed page-turner to gripping writing style, I never noticed myself flipping the pages (or, in this case, tapping on my Kindle), and from the first sentence I got transported into the story. It was very difficult to put the book down whe
Tiffany
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 rounded up

I wasn't familiar with the ripped from the headlines story this book was based on before reading Grace is Gone (don't read about it until after otherwise it may ruin this book for you), but I guessed the main plot twist early on in the book. Even though I had suspicions, it didn't take away from my enjoyment while reading. The characters were well developed and the plot was intriguing, so I found this to be an easy read to immerse myself in.

Grace is Gone is told in alternating POV
Kelsey Saylor
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Woah. I’m always a fan of psychological thriller/murder mysteries and this book did not disappoint. There are so many layers so this story, but most prevalent to me was the idea of GroupThink and how the beliefs of a few can shape the livelihood of thousands. This books exemplifies how it’s hard to stand alone from the crowd and chase the truth that others don’t want to face, but, at the end of the day, the truth will always come out.

• 82년생 김지영
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Why She Ran
  • The Quiet Girls (Detective Carrie Flynn, #2)
  • Creatures
  • The Guesthouse
  • The Orphan Thief
  • Dear Edward
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • The Snow Killer (DI Barton, #1)
  • A Wedding in December
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Art of Dying (Raven, Fisher, and Simpson, #2)
  • The Other Wife