Start by marking “Highfire” as Want to Read:
Highfire

Highfire

From the New York Times bestselling author of the Artemis Fowl series comes a hilarious and high-octane adult novel about a vodka-drinking, Flashdance-loving dragon who lives an isolated life in the bayous of Louisiana—and the raucous adventures that ensue when he crosses paths with a fifteen-year-old troublemaker on the run from a crooked sheriff.

In the days of yore, he
Published January 28th 2020 by Harper Perennial

Start your review of Highfire
Paromjit
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eoin Colfer writes a comic adult fantasy in his usual trademark style, which readers will be familiar with if they have read his Artemis Fowl series and/or his other books. Here he takes us to Louisiana's bayous, and New Orleans in this tale of a lonely, depressed ancient dragon, Vern (Wyvern), who just may be the last dragon on earth, hates humans who have destroyed almost all his kind, and has taken to living below the radar on a swampy bayou. He has Netflix, is rather keen on Absolut Vodka, ...more
Fran
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vern was a dragon, arguably, the last of his kind. "Once upon a time, he had been Wyvern, Lord Highfire of the Highfire Eyrie...now...he spent his days in the bayou blending in with the locals, staying down wind of the swamp tours...". Seven foot tall Vern, watched Netflix and reality shows from the comfort of his La-Z-Boy recliner. His beverage of choice was Absolut Vodka. His wardrobe: "Flashdance" T-shirts.

Vern mistrusted humans, the exception being Waxman, a mogwai. "Mogwais [half human
Amy Imogene Reads

This was not at all what I expected. A lot more swearing, a lot more body humor, and a LOT more swamp-lifestyle dialect and bizarre POVs than I was prepared to read. It was good? But not for me?

Concept: super original
Writing: really polarizing
Overall impression: not for me, but probably a great book for its audience

Highfire is the first adult fantasy novel from the acclaimed author of the Artemis Fowl series. I read Artemis Fowl ages ago, and I vaguely remember liking it.

Don't get it
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
"a vodka-drinking, Flashdance-loving dragon..."

*already digging in wallet for that cash money*

I'm a maniaaaac, maniaaaac for this book...
Carolyn
Beware there be dragons!

Well, one grumpy and lonely dragon called Vern (short for Wyvern), hiding out in the Louisiana swamp, filling his time watching netflix and drinking Absolut vodka. He is probably the last of his kind and has seen his friends and relatives murdered by angry hordes through the ages. Now he has one friend, a half human called Waxman who lives in a shack on the swamp and looks after supplying Vern with his vodka, favourite Flashdance T-shirts and other essentials (from a
Faith
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
“Squib was marked and he knew it. I gotta sort this out, he thought. I gotta get out from under that dragon. Which is not a problem most people have to solve in their lifetimes. In general, most folks who get to meet a dragon only get to think about it that one time for about five seconds.”

The teenaged boy Squib becomes the familiar of Vern, who is perhaps the last surviving dragon. Vern is sort of like a 7-foot, winged alligator, who walks upright, wears cargo shorts and lives in a Louisiana
Peter McLean
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
With a narrative voice somewhere between Huckleberry Finn and the Dukes of Hazzard, and a keen sense of pop-culture awareness, Highfire is certainly something different.

It's a charming, funny, but sometimes brutal look at poor Cajun life and crime in the Louisiana bayou. Is it really fantasy, though? Well yes, on the surface, on account of having an actual dragon in it, but that's all.

Honestly, the author could have made Vern a Rambo-style retired super-soldier instead and told almost the same
Lisazj1
I won this in a GoodReads giveaway. Thanks to GR and Harper Perennial for the book.

Despite what I had read in the blurb, I was not expecting Vern, LOL. This book was just plain fun to read. There were a lot of hi-jinks in a Louisiana swamp with a crooked cop, a juvenile delinquent and his momma (though Squib is still a good kid in the wanna-be-a-bad-guy stage), a mogwai and a dragon named Vern. And yes, it's just exactly as hilarious as it sounds.

And though I had quite a few literal laugh out
Bam cooks the books ;-)
For those who like their fantasy stories filled with humor, here is the start of a new adult fantasy series from the author of Artemis Fowl. Set in the bayous of Louisiana, a young fatherless teen named Everett 'Squib' Moreau tries to stay out of trouble and earn some money to help out his mama while protecting her virtue from a psychopathic constable named Regence Hooke who is hot for her body.

That story would be interesting enough, right? But Eoin Colfer has thrown in a 7-foot tall dragon
Elle Rudy
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, netgalley, 2020
Not to start another review with a confession that I’ve never read the author’s previous immensely popular books, but I’m sorry to say I haven’t picked up Eoin Colfer’s Artemis Fowl series before diving into his adult fantasy novel, Highfire.

This was a weird little book. It stars Vern, a swamp-dwelling dragon who binge watches television in a Flashdance t-shirt whilst drinking mid-shelf vodka from his La-Z-Boy. So despite being thousands of years old—he’s just like us! He joins forces with a
Lou
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highfire is bestselling children’s author Eoin Colfer’s first adult fantasy novel, and I guess this is one of those situations whereby the old adage ”better late than never” seems particularly apt. So, in the end, was it actually worth waiting for? The short answer is yes, absolutely. The apparent lack of the dreaded hype machine to latch onto this as an upcoming early 2020 publication at the back end of last year when it was announced has worked every bit in its favour. I must admit it's been ...more
Sara
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, arc, adult
ARC received in exchange for an honest review

I’ve grown up with the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer, and they’re a staple in our house for my children (my son is called Eoin too), so I went into this with some trepidation. Could Colfer’s wit carry itself in an adult novel? Especially one that sounds as bizarre as this one, with a grumpy vodka drinking dragon and a boy called Squib with major daddy issues and criminal tendencies. As it happens, yes it could, and this ended up being one hell of
Marta Cox
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
So of course I’ve heard of this author but I’ve never read anything written by him because he usually writes children’s books and sadly my childhood is far behind. Yet when I spotted this being marketed as an adult story I was beyond curious and happily can state that this was absolutely fabulous !
This was a riveting read that meandered along and just gradually built up the pace. We meet Vern who believes he is sadly the last Dragon around but he’s far from what you would expect a Dragon to be.
Amber
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this e-book ARC from the author, publisher and netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Everett Squib Moreau is a young teenager trying to survive in the Louisiana swamps. He loves his mama very much and despises Constable Regence Hooke who wants to place a hook into his mom. When Squib sees something he isn't suppossed to see, he is stalked by Hooke and an angry dragon named Vern. Will he survive? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good YA
Evie Braithwaite
I always feel guilty DNFing books, especially when they're advanced copies, but it has to be done. This is by no means a bad book, and I can see why people will enjoy this—it's funny, has charming characters—it's just not doing anything for me. Someone please drag me out of this reading slump!!
Truman32
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Eoin Colfer, the writer of the much-loved Artemis Fowl children’s series has written the adult novel Highfire about a dragon hanging down low in the swamps of Louisiana. Highfire is a comedic novel full of eccentric characters acting in odd ways peppered with violence, adult language, and fantasy elements.
Comedic novels are tough. They are all about the jokes. And let’s be honest, jokes are not exactly known for their plots, conflicts, characters, and all the other elements that make up a
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Have you ever read a book about a dragon? One who flashdances? And likes vodka and lives in Louisiana? Sounds fun, right? But even more fun ensues when he meets a teenage troublemaker on the lam.

Highfire is quite the different read for me, but I’m so grateful I picked it up! It would make the perfect movie, but who needs that when you have written imagery like this? I know you are thinking this is a fantasy book, and while it has a dragon and other fantasy elements, it’s so much more. Most of
Tucker
Oct 12, 2019 marked it as publisher-copies-to-read

Many thanks to Harper Perrinial for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn |
Amy (TheSouthernGirlReads)
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Well I be doggone. I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did. It came up from the swamps and got me.

Alright, so I go into this novel with the premise that this is about a Louisiana living, Flashdance loving, and vodka drinking dragon named Vern. It really was so much more. Heartfelt. Suspenseful. With that lovely touch of magical realism.

Let’s talk about what I loved.

Vern. One of the most delightful characters I’ve met this year. Mind you...he
Jessika
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Harper Perennial for the free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!

I can honestly say that this was the most FUN I've had reading a book. And if Highfire is any indication of Eoin Colfer's brilliant wit, I'm sorely upset that I didn't read the Artemis Fowl books growing up.

Before I go any further, let me preface this review by warning you that if you find yourself easily offended by mounds of profanity, over-the-top gore and violence, vulgar sexual innuendo, and gross
Jackie ϟ Bookseller
I received an ALC from the publisher via Libro.FM in exchange for an honest review.

I got about 30% through the audiobook and couldn't do it anymore. This was out of my comfort-zone to start, but between the deep-south setting, crude humor, and almost all-male cast, I just wasn't interested in continuing.
Kogiopsis
The last line of this book is just "Balls out." and I feel like that summarizes its tone incredibly well.

(Seriously, though, testes are a frequent topic of conversation.)

Still mulling over how I feel about it and working to disentangle the nostalgia I associate with Colfer from the book itself so that I can properly evaluate it. It doesn't help that his writing style is so singular, even when the dialect/voice is completely different - something about that wry, metatextual third person just
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
”Vern. What kind of name is that for an apex predator.”

gargoyle

Why for the life of me can I not learn to DNF a book?
I torture myself through things I obviously don’t like and then wonder why I don’t feel like reading.

One of my resolutions for 2020 is to read more New to me Authors. But if I would like to hold to this resolution I really need to use the DNF option.

This book and I; we just didn't jell.
Firstly; the revolting langue was just plain appalling to me. The over use of cursing and rude ways to
Ric
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve been looking forward to this book for months, and it lived up to the hype. Colfer’s style is amazing, it’s that comedic fantasy that’s always entertaining except this was more adult than the previous ones. It has so many amazing things, not least of which was a wisecracking dragon that doesn’t want anyone to know he exists. Vern was fantastic, and the way he and Squip played off of each other was so funny. Eoin Colfer has done it again, because this was a wildly entertaining book that I ...more
Joanna Bennett
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was excited to be approved for this title. I did request it on a whim because the synopsis was just out of this world weird. I really didn’t know what to expect when picking this up to start. Although it sounded good, I had a hard time enjoying it. Not because there was anything wrong with it but because I just don’t think it was suited for me.

This book has multiple point-of-views that aren’t always separated by chapters. It wasn’t hard to follow along as it was all in third person. It made it
eyes.2c
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy, humour
Original!

Eoin Colfer once again pulls literary magic out of the box! His wicked sense of humor permeates this most unlikely story.
Put together one badass Dragon, last of his kind, formerly Wyvern, Lord Highfire, of the Highfire Eyrie, now just called Vern, and a bayou tatty, wise crackin' Cajun kid with the handle Squib and you have one hugely amusing story of life in the bayou swamps around Louisiana. As Vern our former dragon Lord puts it, now he's "king of jack shit in Mudsville, Louisiana."
Cathy
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
With the amount of times I spam my goodreads updates with rereads of Artemis Fowl, it should be pretty obvious how much I adore Eoin Colfer’s writing. That being said, it pains me to admit that Colfer’s first Fantasy novel for adults fell a bit flat for me. The world’s last dragon hiding out in the bayou like a cantankerous hermit who, due to circumstance, befriends an endearing swamp rat of a teenager to end up fighting a loathsome villain together? Sounds so Colfer! Sounds a touch ...more
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
Absolutely loved this, a boy and a dragon, need I say more to get most people hooked, not really, but this touches on themes a loneliness, depression and dealing with being the last dragon, it’s well handled, emotional and sensitively done. Yes it’s humorous too and that is done brilliantly, but I think the author deserves credit for dealing with such sensitive issues so well. It deals with lots of other parallels in society at the moment too along the way, but you should definitely pick this up ...more
Lauren James
[Gifted]
Sassy and lonely grumpy old dragon meets sassy and lovable teenage boy. Against his will, the dragon begins to trust a human for the first time in thousands of years. This was a whole lot of fun - crooked police, a great Southern American setting, and the humourous writing that Colfer is famous for.
Laura ☾
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Vern is the last dragon, thousands of years old, and obsessed with flashdance? Squib is a swamp kid trying to get by.Hooke, our villain, is a crooked cop. And Highfire follows the story of how their three lives become intertwined.

Highfire started out well , but in the end just wasn't my cup of tea.

I didn’t get that attached to the characters. It felt as if not all that much reallyhappens, and it was less fantastical than I thought it would be.

However, I appreciate the originality of the plot,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Last Smile in Sunder City
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Deep State
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Who are You, Calvin Bledsoe?
  • Last Ones Left Alive
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Prosper's Demon
  • A Beginning at the End
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • The 24-Hour Café
  • Meg and Jo
  • OtherLife (Last Reality, #3)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the
“I met Jesus,’ mumbled Vern, his head coming up. ‘He weren’t even a good carpenter.” 0 likes
“What a peach of a night this had turned out to be.

Everett fucking Moreau: master planner.

Like that little French guy who used to get with tall ladies to prove a point. Napoleon.

But not like him at all, except for they both ended up fucked on an island, if he didn’t misremember his history. Or maybe it was Huck Finn who got fucked on an island.

Either way, he was the idiot getting fucked on a water-locked landmass this fine evening.”
0 likes