Start by marking “Living on a Dare (A Shore Thing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Living on a Dare (A Shore Thing, #1)

Living on a Dare

(Shore Thing #1)

Stuntman Draven O’Connor never turns down a dare—even if it means getting down on one knee to propose to his former college roommate and friend. The same man he’s been crushing on since the first day they met. The same man that has grown distant over the past year. And the same man who just agreed to be his fiancé.

Julien Bouchard is tired of living a lie. He spent the past
Published April 19th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Living on a Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living on a Dare

Cadiva
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5*

A good, solid read with a lot of my favourite tropes included and a couple of likeable characters.

I've not read this author before so I've no idea of their style but I thought they handled the fake engagement element in a well-paced fashion.

Although I was a little frustrated by all the "I've always loved you but now I'm scared to tell you" sections once Jules told Draven he was bisexual, the family dramas did help to anchor the narrative.

There's no real angsting, the contrast between the tw
Lelyana
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc, mm
It's not easy when you're in love with your best friend forever.
Draven always loved Julien, but Julien was straight. Well at least until one night, a dare made Julian gay. LOL
Turns out that Julian's actually a bisexual, but in the closet. The dare was like an open door for Julien to come out to his parents, so he didn't deny it.
Lies after lies had become a reality for both of them. The long forgotten feelings appeared then they had to compromise with everything. Parents, works, friends, and es
iam
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtqia, unlimited
For the most part I actually enjoyed this book - then the ending happened, and I absolutely HATED it.

Content warnings include: homophobia (mostly from a parent and from relatives), overbearing/controlling bordering on abusive parents, sex on-page, describtions of and references to accidents on a stunt set, character gets laid off, character gives up on their dream job to be closer to a romantic partner.

I'll talk about the good things first:
I found Living on a Dare to be a rather fresh take o
Lena Grey
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Falling in love with your best friend is quite difficult, for you would have to learn to keep the feelings just to avoid ruining your friendship.” ~ Maria Bastida

Draven and Julian have been good friends for a long time. Draven has been in love with Julian for almost that long. Julian gave Draven a lot of mixed signals which Draven tried to “translate”. He really wanted his dear, affectionate, loving friend to be gay. When Julian started dating women, Draven’s dreams were dashed and he relegated
Athira
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
A fun read with some of my favourite tropes. This is my first book by this author and I quite liked it. This is a dual POV book and I love Jules and Draven together. There were times I just wanted to hit their heads and scream at them to get their shit together. There is much angst. Jules' parents wins the 'A+Parenting' award!

I loved the secondary characters. Tate is just amazing. Jules' brother, Quinn, was one of my favourite characters. I'm looking forward to reading his book. It was a fun, li
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Shelves: contemporary, m-m, romance
Living on a Dare is the first book in the Shore Thing series, and we start off with two friends, Draven and Julien. Draven is gay, and has known it for years. Julien is struggling to come to terms with his bi-sexuality, and as such, pushes Draven away until he is sure. Both of these have had feelings for the other for years, but neither thought anything would come of it. It takes a dare to bring their feelings to the surface, but even then, there is a lot of confusion going on.

This was a great s
Anne Pine
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read! I love the friends to lovers trope, and this does not disappoint! There's just enough angst to add some drama without taking away from the lighthearted feel of the story that makes it so funny and sweet. Both the main and supporting characters are likeable (when they're supposed to be), and the foundation for what I assume will be the next book's love story is set up nicely.
Tanja Kezmic
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: omgreads
I'll be honest and say that I didn't like Julien at first. He really rubbed me the wrong way. But after having met his parents I could understand him a lot better and slowly he began to show what kinda man he really is.

As for Draven; I loved his personality. He was outgoing, funny and so passionate towards his work and love for Julien. They chemistry was hot and the banter has me laughing out loud.

All in all this was a nice first read by the author for me. Definitely picking up more books in t
Alex
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5
Mateo
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing special, just a sunny day in my garden with a good book.
Carra
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
So, this story has me a bit on the fence. This is the first book I’ve read by this author, and the writing style suited me just fine—the story flowed well, I enjoyed both Draven and Julien’s characters, and I love the friends-to-lovers trope. There were some strong supporting characters as well, ones who sparked enough interest that I’d be interested in their stories too (Quinn, Julien’s brother, was particularly amazing).

Even though I liked the main characters, Julien did frustrate me at times.
ButtonsMom2003
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: xd-assigned-read
A good start to this series.

Living on a Dare is the first book I've read by Grace Kilian Delaney and I enjoyed it. It's a pretty quick and entertaining read. It's told in first person POV, alternating between Draven and Julien and has a couple of good tropes: friends to lovers and fake engagement/marriage.

There's not much angst to the story and it didn't really give me a lot of feels as I read it, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. Other than Julien's homophobic parents it a fairly light re
Beverly Southern Babes Book Blog
This is the first book I’ve read by this author and it will definitely not be my last. I loved how this author betrays this story. The storyline was light and sweet always making you smile.

Draven and Jules have been best friends since college. Draven a stuntman that will never turn down a dare. So he takes the dare and ask Jules to marry him. The same man he’s be crushing on forever. Jules is tired of living his life as lies bile up. An overbearing mother, always putting herself first. He’s bee
Valerie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
When I read the blurb to this story, I thought it was an interesting concept. Two friends from college who had gone their own way after graduation, and while they both had feelings for the other, they each had their own reasons for not admitting their feelings. Draven has crushed on Julien since they became roommates in college, but he kept his feelings to himself because he believed that Julien was straight. But when Julien keeps him at a distance since their graduation, Draven feels heartbroke ...more
Amy Dufera
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Living on a Dare is a great friends to lovers romance. Grace Kilian Delaney managed to entertain me with Draven and Julien. The bet is cute, and the pretend relationship is even cuter.

Their relationship consists of secrets, lies, pretending, homophobia, and some hot sex. The angst is excellent and is well developed, entertaining, and fun. The high society attitude of Julien's mother is insane, but enjoyable. She is definitely a smothering mother.

I found myself surprised at the length of decepti
Rebecca Clark
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book. College roommates and best friends Julian and Draven. Both men have pined for the other, though Julian hadn't realized until later. Julian's mother and father made me cringe every time I read their parts. Hated how Julian let them treat him, but it's relatable. Especially the "what ifs". What started as a harmless prank proposal brought the real feelings to the surface along with Julian learning the extent of his family's tolerance. Not many steamy moments, but the ones that wer ...more
R
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed, series
Draven and Julien have been close friends since college. Draven has always been attracted to Jules, but since Jules was straight it was something Draven learned to accept. Jules isn’t quite as straight as his friend thinks. A silly dare has Draven proposing, and Jules’ acceptance kiss was an eye opener for both men. Their engagement moves right along, dragging both men with it.

I liked all the characters, even Julien’s nightmare mother. The only issue I had was that their insecurities were a litt
Modwena
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by this author but knowing that it was a combination of so many of my favourite tropes meant I had to give it a go.
I love the way the author combines the fake relationship and best friends to lovers trope and the way that Draven struggles with trust issues due to a past relationship, even when it comes to his best friend. For me, the struggle that Draven faces, even when it comes to one of the people he trusts most helps to give the relationship more dept
Esther Alayeto
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute and entertaining story of a dare between friends. Draven and Julien are friends who enter intoa fake relationship based on a dare. Draven has always had feelings for Julien but Julien was supposedly straight. As the fake relationship progresses their chemistry is incredible, their interactions spectacular, and Julien doesn't seem so straight after all! I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Kathryn Manzella
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grace Kilian Delaney's Living on a Dare is the first book in A Shore Thing Novel series. It is an amazing story between best friends who find love while pretending to be engaged. I love Draven and Julien together. They are best friends and so sweet together (and hot)... they just have some obstacles to overcome. The story is fun, sweet, sexy and definitely satisfying.

I received an advanced reader's copy of the book and I am voluntarily leaving my honest review and recommendation.
Jess Gabriel
Shelves: snark-or-banter
I had the absolute pleasure of beta-reading this for Grace, so my opinion may be a bit biased. I fell in love with Jules and Draven immediately and really enjoyed watching their transformation into the characters they are now. This story is such a big improvement from Waking Oisin and can't wait to see the publication of book two in this series!
Sheridan
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
A light and sweet read. This is the first book I’ve read by this author.

Draven and Jules have always had the chemistry they just lacked the vital information and Draven thought Jules was straight.
Until a dare sealed with a scorching hot kiss took their future in a new direction!

But this was a cute read with really enjoyable characters and I’m looking forward to Quinn’s story!
Lucy
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon
I don't know, I get that Julien was processing but he was a truly crappy friend to Draven.
Ali
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Though the dare started out the book, I didn’t feel these dares took much precedence in this book as I was thinking would happen. Draven has refused to admit his feelings towards his best friend and how his latest let downs are affecting him. Julien hasn’t let anyone know about his bisexuality and it’s hurting him to keep it from his best friend but the drama of his family makes it even harder.

I loved that Draven
May 19, 2019
Sayomi Taiga
Jun 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Grace Kilian Delaney resides in flammable Southern California where she spends the wee hours of the morning drinking coffee and writing. She identifies as genderfluid and bisexual, and a goal of hers is to create stories that include gay, bisexual, and genderfluid characters. When not writing, Grace composes music, pretends she’s an opera singer, plays piano, and practices yoga, though not all at ...more