Start by marking “Living on a Dare (Shore Thing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Living on a Dare (Shore Thing, #1)

Living on a Dare

(Shore Thing #1)

Stuntman Draven O’Connor never turns down a dare—even if it means getting down on one knee to propose to his former college roommate and friend. The same man he’s been crushing on since the first day they met. The same man that has grown distant over the past year. And the same man who just agreed to be his fiancé.

Julien Bouchard is tired of living a lie. He spent the past
Published April 19th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Living on a Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living on a Dare

Start your review of Living on a Dare (Shore Thing, #1)
Cadiva
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5*

A good, solid read with a lot of my favourite tropes included and a couple of likeable characters.

I've not read this author before so I've no idea of their style but I thought they handled the fake engagement element in a well-paced fashion.

Although I was a little frustrated by all the "I've always loved you but now I'm scared to tell you" sections once Jules told Draven he was bisexual, the family dramas did help to anchor the narrative.

There's no real angsting, the contrast between the tw
Lelyana
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc, mm
It's not easy when you're in love with your best friend forever.
Draven always loved Julien, but Julien was straight. Well at least until one night, a dare made Julian gay. LOL
Turns out that Julian's actually a bisexual, but in the closet. The dare was like an open door for Julien to come out to his parents, so he didn't deny it.
Lies after lies had become a reality for both of them. The long forgotten feelings appeared then they had to compromise with everything. Parents, works, friends, and es
Athira
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
A fun read with some of my favourite tropes. This is my first book by this author and I quite liked it. This is a dual POV book and I love Jules and Draven together. There were times I just wanted to hit their heads and scream at them to get their shit together. There is much angst. Jules' parents wins the 'A+Parenting' award!

I loved the secondary characters. Tate is just amazing. Jules' brother, Quinn, was one of my favourite characters. I'm looking forward to reading his book. It was a fun, li
iam
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtqia, unlimited
For the most part I actually enjoyed this book - then the ending happened, and I absolutely HATED it.

Content warnings include: homophobia (mostly from a parent and from relatives), overbearing/controlling bordering on abusive parents, sex on-page, describtions of and references to accidents on a stunt set, character gets laid off, character gives up on their dream job to be closer to a romantic partner.

I'll talk about the good things first:
I found Living on a Dare to be a rather fresh take o
Lena Grey
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Falling in love with your best friend is quite difficult, for you would have to learn to keep the feelings just to avoid ruining your friendship.” ~ Maria Bastida

Draven and Julian have been good friends for a long time. Draven has been in love with Julian for almost that long. Julian gave Draven a lot of mixed signals which Draven tried to “translate”. He really wanted his dear, affectionate, loving friend to be gay. When Julian started dating women, Draven’s dreams were dashed and he relegated
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, m-m, romance
Living on a Dare is the first book in the Shore Thing series, and we start off with two friends, Draven and Julien. Draven is gay, and has known it for years. Julien is struggling to come to terms with his bi-sexuality, and as such, pushes Draven away until he is sure. Both of these have had feelings for the other for years, but neither thought anything would come of it. It takes a dare to bring their feelings to the surface, but even then, there is a lot of confusion going on.

This was a great s
Kimmers of Kimmers' Erotic Book Banter
Grace Kilian Delaney’s books always make me feel good, and who doesn’t need that!? What starts out as a dare, blends into a little family drama, backed by tons of humor, and morphs into two friends becoming lovers in the wonderful coming out journey, Living on a Dare.

Draven O’Connor and Julien Bouchard know each other well. Except they can’t seem to tell the other what they truly want. A friendship that’s been fragile due to a secret they’ve both been hiding is about to get a boost. As Julien wa
Anne Pine
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read! I love the friends to lovers trope, and this does not disappoint! There's just enough angst to add some drama without taking away from the lighthearted feel of the story that makes it so funny and sweet. Both the main and supporting characters are likeable (when they're supposed to be), and the foundation for what I assume will be the next book's love story is set up nicely.
Tanja OMGReads
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: omgreads
I'll be honest and say that I didn't like Julien at first. He really rubbed me the wrong way. But after having met his parents I could understand him a lot better and slowly he began to show what kinda man he really is.

As for Draven; I loved his personality. He was outgoing, funny and so passionate towards his work and love for Julien. They chemistry was hot and the banter has me laughing out loud.

All in all this was a nice first read by the author for me. Definitely picking up more books in t
Amanda
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5⭐

This is my first read by this author and I quite enjoyed her writing style. Loved her use of the fake relationship trope and the intimate scenes were well written. I loved Draven but Julien took me much longer to warm up to.
Mateo
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing special, just a sunny day in my garden with a good book.
Meg
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that the fake boyfriends trope has been overdone recently, IMO. However, the unique plotline of this book made it a very entertaining read and kept it from being just another book in the trope. The characters are well developed, and the storyline was entertaining.

Draven and Jules became friends back in college. Draven is out and proud, and comes from a loving and tactile family. Jules, on the other hand, comes from a very sterile environment, lacking warmth and the support he fou
Carra
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
So, this story has me a bit on the fence. This is the first book I’ve read by this author, and the writing style suited me just fine—the story flowed well, I enjoyed both Draven and Julien’s characters, and I love the friends-to-lovers trope. There were some strong supporting characters as well, ones who sparked enough interest that I’d be interested in their stories too (Quinn, Julien’s brother, was particularly amazing).

Even though I liked the main characters, Julien did frustrate me at times.
ButtonsMom2003
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
A good start to this series.

Living on a Dare is the first book I've read by Grace Kilian Delaney and I enjoyed it. It's a pretty quick and entertaining read. It's told in first person POV, alternating between Draven and Julien and has a couple of good tropes: friends to lovers and fake engagement/marriage.

There's not much angst to the story and it didn't really give me a lot of feels as I read it, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. Other than Julien's homophobic parents it a fairly light re
Amy Stauffer
This book includes several of my favorite tropes, including fake relationship, friends to lovers, first time, and sexual awakening. Having them all together had me chomping at the bit to read this story. It did not disappoint.

Dares can be fun, and some may even change your life. Draven loves dares and never turns one down. He accepts an outrageous dare, which, with a twist of fate, brings his estranged best friend back into his life. As his fiancé. Yup, he just proposed to a man he hasn’t even t
Beverly Southern Babes Book Blog
This is the first book I’ve read by this author and it will definitely not be my last. I loved how this author betrays this story. The storyline was light and sweet always making you smile.

Draven and Jules have been best friends since college. Draven a stuntman that will never turn down a dare. So he takes the dare and ask Jules to marry him. The same man he’s be crushing on forever. Jules is tired of living his life as lies bile up. An overbearing mother, always putting herself first. He’s bee
Valerie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
When I read the blurb to this story, I thought it was an interesting concept. Two friends from college who had gone their own way after graduation, and while they both had feelings for the other, they each had their own reasons for not admitting their feelings. Draven has crushed on Julien since they became roommates in college, but he kept his feelings to himself because he believed that Julien was straight. But when Julien keeps him at a distance since their graduation, Draven feels heartbroke ...more
Amy Dufera
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Living on a Dare is a great friends to lovers romance. Grace Kilian Delaney managed to entertain me with Draven and Julien. The bet is cute, and the pretend relationship is even cuter.

Their relationship consists of secrets, lies, pretending, homophobia, and some hot sex. The angst is excellent and is well developed, entertaining, and fun. The high society attitude of Julien's mother is insane, but enjoyable. She is definitely a smothering mother.

I found myself surprised at the length of decepti
Rebecca Clark
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book. College roommates and best friends Julian and Draven. Both men have pined for the other, though Julian hadn't realized until later. Julian's mother and father made me cringe every time I read their parts. Hated how Julian let them treat him, but it's relatable. Especially the "what ifs". What started as a harmless prank proposal brought the real feelings to the surface along with Julian learning the extent of his family's tolerance. Not many steamy moments, but the ones that wer ...more
Siobhan Flynn
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Draven and Jules are best friends but there is the issue of unrequited love between the both of them and it starts to drive a wedge between them. I did get annoyed with Draven at times as he was punishing Jules slightly due to past hurts and expecting him to guess what wasn't said. Jules is really caught up in his work and doesn't have any spare time for friends and he misses that closeness they once had. A joke gone too far has Jules's mother up in arms and taking over his life. I genuinely enj ...more
R
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, m-m, reviewed
Draven and Julien have been close friends since college. Draven has always been attracted to Jules, but since Jules was straight it was something Draven learned to accept. Jules isn’t quite as straight as his friend thinks. A silly dare has Draven proposing, and Jules’ acceptance kiss was an eye opener for both men. Their engagement moves right along, dragging both men with it.

I liked all the characters, even Julien’s nightmare mother. The only issue I had was that their insecurities were a litt
Belinda Zamora
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Best friends secretly in love with one another and a ridiculous dare.
What could go wrong? Or could this actually be a blessing in disguise?
I absolutely loved the chemistry between these characters.
Julien had a lot of obstacles in his way, namely still being in the closet to appease his mother who was not a nice person.
Driven has always been the rock Julien depends on and he's going to need him more than ever as he takes a page from Draven's stunt work life to plunge headfirst into the unknown an
aru
May 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Hm. Not sure how I feel about this book, quite honestly. On one hand I enjoy it a lot, especially their friendship. On the other hand though I don't find the "love" believable. It doesn't feel like a romantic love to me. The whole time they're together I feel....strange. Like watching two of your best friends making out. And they're a platonic kind of friends so it's weird seeing them making out? Yeah, like that. It's weird. And I kinda don't like it that Jules is basically using Draven's goodwi ...more
Modwena
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by this author but knowing that it was a combination of so many of my favourite tropes meant I had to give it a go.
I love the way the author combines the fake relationship and best friends to lovers trope and the way that Draven struggles with trust issues due to a past relationship, even when it comes to his best friend. For me, the struggle that Draven faces, even when it comes to one of the people he trusts most helps to give the relationship more dept
Coline Peterson
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this fast reading, well written, friends to loves book. I couldn't believe it when Draven proposed to me the first time I had seen him in over a year on a dare. We had been best friends all through college, but between my high preformance job and some personal issues going on in my life and I was just not up to having to deal with my best friend so I ghosted him. Even thought we're not really ingaged someone outed me, and now my family knows about it and everything has changed bet ...more
Diane
I've always loved him...but he flees to the east coast. I'm on the west coast working as a stunt many in LA. When a mutual friend dares us to become engaged...we do...for totally different reasons. Now I want to make it real.

I love him but I'm willing to do almost anything to evade all the women my mother is forcing on me. So when he proposes, I accept. Now I want to make it real.

Family pressure is difficult to stand up to...unless you really don't feel they're your family. Maybe love will be en
Kathryn Manzella
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grace Kilian Delaney's Living on a Dare is the first book in A Shore Thing Novel series. It is an amazing story between best friends who find love while pretending to be engaged. I love Draven and Julien together. They are best friends and so sweet together (and hot)... they just have some obstacles to overcome. The story is fun, sweet, sexy and definitely satisfying.

I received an advanced reader's copy of the book and I am voluntarily leaving my honest review and recommendation.
Esther Alayeto
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute and entertaining story of a dare between friends. Draven and Julien are friends who enter intoa fake relationship based on a dare. Draven has always had feelings for Julien but Julien was supposedly straight. As the fake relationship progresses their chemistry is incredible, their interactions spectacular, and Julien doesn't seem so straight after all! I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
bridgetann
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming, Love story!!!

I adored this story. Everyone loves a dare! Two best friends from college come together explosively but if it wasn't for a dare, they never would have known. I love how these two friends fought for each other in every way that's necessary in a relationship. They didn't deny their feelings but had to fight outside circumstances to be together. I can't wait for the next one!!
Patricia Nelson
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVED this marvelous, grab-you-by-the-feels, charming, amazing, emotionally charged, poignant, hilarious, slightly angsty, lovely, delightful, sexy, and totally awesome twist on the fake fiance, best friends-to-lovers, and second chance at first romance storylines. I must admit that I was severely tempted to smack some sense into certain characters, but in the end, everything worked out beautifully. I would recommend getting this gem ASAP.

• Marry Me (Tattoos and Temptation #1)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • Catch Me (Tattoos and Temptation, #4)
  • Bad Habits (Wages of Sin #1)
  • No Good Mitchell
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey #2)
  • Painted Lace
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • Fix Me (Tattoos and Temptation #2)
  • Sanctuary (Wrecked #1)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
  • The Best Friend (Red's Tavern, #1)
  • Topping the Jock (Blue Harbor #1)
  • Strawberry Kisses
  • Four Letter Word (Love Logic, #2)
  • Virtually Screwed (Love & Luck #2)
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
Author, musician, and human slave to the dog and cat that rule her house, Grace Kilian Delaney enjoys giving her characters a dark sense of humor and a happily ever after.

Shore Thing (3 books)
  • Dancing with a Star (Shore Thing, #2)
  • Flirting with Fire (Shore Thing, #3)