Start by marking “The Town That Feared Dusk (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 17)” as Want to Read:
The Town That Feared Dusk (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 17)

The Town That Feared Dusk (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 17)

Sylvia Bernstein doesn't want to end up on a dead-end path like a former journalism colleague. She begins searching the tabloid's archives for a story that can get her career back on track. A strange bridge, with an abnormally high rate of suicides, seems like the perfect place to start. She journeys to the little town, eager to investigate, but encounters a tale far more ...more
Kindle Edition, First, 32 pages
Published April 19th 2019 by Demain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Town That Feared Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Town That Feared Dusk

Char
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Char by: Steve Stred
This is one of those short stories that packs a punch. It was fun, fast paced and short enough to read on your break from work. You should read it!

"The guilt ate away at her core like maggots feasting on the freshly dead."

How could you not want to know why?

*I bought this short story with my hard earned cash because Steve Stred said it was good. He was right.*

** Here's a link to his review if you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

***Read 5.3.19.***
Candace Robinson
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another hit for Demmer! I was addicted from the very first page! It had creepy elements and a story that makes you think! Two of my favorite things!
megs_bookrack
Apr 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
NEW DEMMER

You better believe this short is on my 'to-do' list this weekend and I couldn't be happier about it!
Michelle
So good!

4.5, rounding up to 5 stars, but only 4.5 because I wanted more! I could read a full length novel of this story and be on the edge of my seat with the way Calvin Demmer writes! I hardly noticed how quickly I read it until I was done and had to sit a few minutes to process, because what the heck!! And I mean that in a good way! You don't need a summary or "about" for this, as it's a short story and anything I add could just give it all away, so I'm just going to gush on the writing. Short
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Deep down she knew what she had seen was real, but the tale was taking an even stranger turn than what she'd expected. How far could the known reality stretch before the fabric tore and someone was flung out into space, or madness?

The Town That Feared Dusk is one of those short stories that manages to pack such a punch in so few pages, I was beyond impressed by its impact. Calvin Demmer is a pro at flash fiction, and I've loved everything I've read by him so far, so I knew Dusk would be good,
Dianne
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Go ahead, take a walk on the dark side with Calvin Demmer, it’s going to be a quick walk, but be prepared, you are about to enter THE TOWN THAT FEARED DUSK and you probably won’t blame them for their little eccentricity.

What is with the bridge with the unusually high suicide rates? A reporter with big dreams of her own bylines is determined to dig deep and uncover the rest of the story, but she had no idea where it would lead her or the truths she would uncover…how far will Sylvia go to get the
Donna
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, horror, short-book
Sylvia Bernstein gets the story of her life in a town afraid to go out at dusk, and a bridge with a long history of suicides. The story is a creepy, paranormal, mystery, that is reminiscent of those old Twilight Zone episodes. Total classic.
Jessica Belmont
My second read from Calvin Demmer, and it's very clear he is a talented author. The Town that Feared Dusk drew me in immediately and kept me hooked the whole way through. I didn't see the end coming, and I'm still thinking about it after putting it down.

This is a very short read, and I think that's what impresses me the most. Calvin Demmer is able to world build and put an awful lot of character development into a very short novel. I love that I was immediately drawn into the story and connected
Theresa Braun
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prepare to face a menacing supernatural force that’ll have you questioning the veil between heaven and hell. An edge-of-your seat story with a mind-bending conclusion. A great read.
Bookish_Pineapple
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What?!? I received this book from the author and I LOVED it! Anything by Calvin and I’m in! I didn’t even check what it was about, I just knew I’d be into it! I was not disappointed! First page had me hooked! I love when a short story grabs you with the perfect amount of details, and doesn’t leave you asking more questions than you began with.
Amy Schmid
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I was hooked on the first page! I couldn’t get enough. Calvin has a way with words and dark stories that leave you wanting more and more. I highly recommend that everyone read this!!
Valerie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, this being a Short Sharp Shocks, I’m not going to ruin it for future readers! I will say the Calvin Demmer does it again! He gives you a town with something horrible going on and it centers around a bridge! The ends leaves you wondering and wanting more from this story and the author!
S.J. Budd
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing review coming soon!
Steve Stred
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
** Edited as review is live on Kendall Reviews! **

I’m going to sound like a broken record here, but last year I snagged The Sea Was a Fair Master by Calvin Demmer and promptly buried it in my TBR. Then at some point I started it and had to read it in two sittings. It was so astoundingly good. I could have read it in one sitting but I wanted each story to have room to breathe and marinate.

Demmer will end up being remembered long after all of us have passed away, as one of the best short story wri
William Bitner Jr.
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-story
The Town That Feared Dusk (Short Sharp Shocks! - Book 17)
By Calvin Demmer

Genre - Fiction
Subgenre - Horror/Supernatural/Short Story
Pages - 32
Publication - Demain Publishing; 1 edition - April 19, 2019
Format - Digital
Reviewed by William C. Bitner, Jr. (https://booksinmylibraryblog.wordpres...)
Rating - 📙📙📙📙📙

It seems it’s always those little packages that have the most bang, and The Town That Feared Dusk by Calvin Demmer was filled with some mighty explosions. For some reason whilst reading this sho
Kimberly
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Calvin's writing, so I jumped at the opportunity to read "The Town That Feared Dusk." This short story is centered around journalist Sylvia Bernstein. After her coworker/mentor Jimmy killed himself, she started digging into past projects looking for a piece that could really boost her career. One project Jimmy had been working on was called "Suicide Bridge."

Sylvia drives to Suicide Bridge so that she can learn more about the suicides that tend to happen there. She learns the w
Meghan (My World of Books)
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*I received a free copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review*

I was so excited when I saw I would be reading a new Demmer, and it did not disappoint! A haunting, eerie, story surrounding a small town that goes back many years. The story twists into an unexpected direction, and the ending left me speechless. Demmer has a way of developing a suspenseful, unsettling horror story in an exceptionally short amount of time. I wish there was more!
Sunshine Somerville
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great short story, this quick read packs in tension, action, suspense, supernatural horror, and a pretty surprising twist. It’s easy to put yourself in the main character’s shoes.
MJ miranda_c_rites
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review forthcoming.
Kiya Hill
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This definitely wasn’t as predictable as I first assumed it was going to be. It was a quick and easy read and I felt it could have been a little longer, but I’m fine with where it ends. I almost wanted more build to it, but I think the confusion and being confined to only Sylvia’s experiences gives it the uncanny feeling as if you think you know something only to be reminded that you might not know anything at all.
Kevin Jones
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The story felt too trite and superficial for a topic as serious as suicide. The story itself was also not particularly interesting as a collection of derivative ideas cobbled together into a gimmicky narrative.
Rachel Boni
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun fast read but it was great! Really hits you out of nowhere when it’s too late to turn back, love it.
Christine McCann
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This was reasonably entertaining. I guess it's from a series of short fiction, so maybe Demmer was working with an extreme word limit or something, but this seemed underdeveloped and a little abrupt. Still, the ideas had potential and the setting was suitably creepy.
amanda
Apr 30, 2019
Brittany
rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2019
Calvin Demmer is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.
“The guilt ate away at her core like maggots feasting on the freshly dead.” 2 likes