Start by marking “The Town That Feared Dusk (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 17)” as Want to Read:
The Town That Feared Dusk (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 17)

The Town That Feared Dusk (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 17)

Sylvia Bernstein doesn't want to end up on a dead-end path like a former journalism colleague. She begins searching the tabloid's archives for a story that can get her career back on track. A strange bridge, with an abnormally high rate of suicides, seems like the perfect place to start. She journeys to the little town, eager to investigate, but encounters a tale far more ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st, 32 pages
Published April 19th 2019 by Demain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Town That Feared Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Town That Feared Dusk

Start your review of The Town That Feared Dusk (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 17)
Sandra
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable short story about a town with a high suicide rate and a haunted bridge. A journalist (Sylvia) goes to the town to check the story out and finds more than she expected to.
megs_bookrack
DEMMER!!!

🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

Honestly, I don't know how he does it.

The ability to elicit such an ominous atmosphere with so few words; it's a true talent.

This short-story follows intrepid reporter, Sylvia Bernstein, as she travels to a small town to investigate their abnormally high suicide rate.

Oddly enough, all the alleged suicides seem to take place at dusk on a certain mysterious bridge in town.

Sylvia decides to visit the bridge herself, scope it out a bit. Once there, she has a shocking supernatural
Char
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Char by: Steve Stred
This is one of those short stories that packs a punch. It was fun, fast paced and short enough to read on your break from work. You should read it!

"The guilt ate away at her core like maggots feasting on the freshly dead."

How could you not want to know why?

*I bought this short story with my hard earned cash because Steve Stred said it was good. He was right.*

** Here's a link to his review if you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

***Read 5.3.19.***
Candace Robinson
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another hit for Demmer! I was addicted from the very first page! It had creepy elements and a story that makes you think! Two of my favorite things!
John
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Great Tale With a Twisty Twist

"The Town That Feared Dusk" by Calvin Demmer is about an accursed bridge and the strangeness surrounding it.

Oh happy day! A great story that's also completely different, and with a twisty twist! All in a quite short tale!

Very Recommended
Kimberly
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

THE TOWN THAT FEARED DUSK is a story from author Calvin Demmer. Previously, I had only read a collection of his flash fiction, but that had impressed me so much that his name is now easily recognizable to me. As much as I enjoyed his extremely short tales, I was eager to see what he could do with a lengthier work.

I was not disappointed.

Sylvia is a reporter who stumbles upon a disturbing bit of information--a small town with an extraordinarily large rate of suicides.

The story takes off
Carol
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carol by: Gothika
DARK.....ok, FEARED dusk.

A suicide bridge would make a great story, don't you think? Well, Sylvia Bernstein certainly thought so when she noticed a comment on one of the tabloid's old dusty tips/rumor page....a page her recently dead colleague had noted, "must investigate further."

She thought so after arriving at the seemingly sparse, unapproachable town's people....she thought so even more so after a frightening encounter at the old creepy bridge (I would have packed my bags and split) but she

Janie C.
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to read more of Calvin Demmer's work after enjoying his story Never Sleep Again, which was a favorite of mine in the collection Deadman's Tome: Monsters Exist. The Town That Feared Dusk did not disappoint.

Sylvia, a budding reporter eager to find an especially intriguing story, drives to a small town where an ominous bridge exists. Rumor has it that many people have jumped to their deaths from the bridge. Upon arrival at the town, Sylvia finds the residents reticent to discuss
Latasha
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Stay off the bridge!

A good and fast read about a haunted bridge. I really liked the twist in the story and would love to someday read a story about Laura and her husband. I would read more by this author.
Dianne
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Go ahead, take a walk on the dark side with Calvin Demmer, it’s going to be a quick walk, but be prepared, you are about to enter THE TOWN THAT FEARED DUSK and you probably won’t blame them for their little eccentricity.

What is with the bridge with the unusually high suicide rates? A reporter with big dreams of her own bylines is determined to dig deep and uncover the rest of the story, but she had no idea where it would lead her or the truths she would uncover…how far will Sylvia go to get the
Michelle
So good!

4.5, rounding up to 5 stars, but only 4.5 because I wanted more! I could read a full length novel of this story and be on the edge of my seat with the way Calvin Demmer writes! I hardly noticed how quickly I read it until I was done and had to sit a few minutes to process, because what the heck!! And I mean that in a good way! You don't need a summary or "about" for this, as it's a short story and anything I add could just give it all away, so I'm just going to gush on the writing. Short
Jessica Belmont
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My second read from Calvin Demmer, and it's very clear he is a talented author. The Town that Feared Dusk drew me in immediately and kept me hooked the whole way through. I didn't see the end coming, and I'm still thinking about it after putting it down.

This is a very short read, and I think that's what impresses me the most. Calvin Demmer is able to world build and put an awful lot of character development into a very short novel. I love that I was immediately drawn into the story and connected
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Deep down she knew what she had seen was real, but the tale was taking an even stranger turn than what she'd expected. How far could the known reality stretch before the fabric tore and someone was flung out into space, or madness?

The Town That Feared Dusk is one of those short stories that manages to pack such a punch in so few pages, I was beyond impressed by its impact. Calvin Demmer is a pro at flash fiction, and I've loved everything I've read by him so far, so I knew Dusk would be good
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
Anyone who knows me knows that Calvin's THE SEA WAS A FAIR MASTER is one of my top favorite books, ever. I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: he's such a good writer! He's got such a great way with words, and an amazing way of pulling the reader in without having to use a huge number of pages.

THE TOWN THAT FEARED DUSK is no exception to his 'great writer' status, and I'm happy that it stood up so well to the collection that I already loved - I wasn't at all disappointed! I had no idea
Elle
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short story is part of the Short Sharp Shocks collection, and it really delivers on that. After the death of her colleague, Sylvia needs a story to boost her career. She finds information on a ‘Suicide Bridge’, but the investigation drags her deeper than she ever expected to go.

This is one of those stories that’s really easy to get carried away in, as the reader follows Sylvia to the bridge and beyond, as she discovers there’s more than meets the eye to the suicides reported there. The empt
Donna
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, horror, short-book
Sylvia Bernstein gets the story of her life in a town afraid to go out at dusk, and a bridge with a long history of suicides. The story is a creepy, paranormal, mystery, that is reminiscent of those old Twilight Zone episodes. Total classic.
Steve Stred
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
** Edited as review is live on Kendall Reviews! **

I’m going to sound like a broken record here, but last year I snagged The Sea Was a Fair Master by Calvin Demmer and promptly buried it in my TBR. Then at some point I started it and had to read it in two sittings. It was so astoundingly good. I could have read it in one sitting but I wanted each story to have room to breathe and marinate.

Demmer will end up being remembered long after all of us have passed away, as one of the best short story wri
Amanda
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great twist!

This short story is an incredibly dark tale of a town seemingly haunted by the spirits of suicide victims who have all jumped from the same bridge. It is quickly determined that there is far more to it than that, and that the bridge itself is sinister, drawing people in and causing their deaths.

But there is a further twist at the end. One that I never would have guessed. It is deliciously dark, and beautifully written into the story.

Though short, this story is very well written. It
Theresa Braun
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prepare to face a menacing supernatural force that’ll have you questioning the veil between heaven and hell. An edge-of-your seat story with a mind-bending conclusion. A great read.
Mindi
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can say with certainty that Clavin Demmer knows how to write excellent flash fiction.

A couple of years ago I read and really enjoyed his excellent collection THE SEA WAS A FAIR MASTER, so I had no hesitation when he asked me to read his contribution to A Short Sharp Shocks! Book collection, THE TOWN THAT FEARED DUSK. The book actually contains 3 flash stories from Demmer, and all of them are set in the same universe.

Sylvia Bernstein is looking to jump start her journalistic career with a story
Madeline
My rating went up then down then up again....

I didn’t enjoy it as much as the others.

Valerie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, this being a Short Sharp Shocks, I’m not going to ruin it for future readers! I will say the Calvin Demmer does it again! He gives you a town with something horrible going on and it centers around a bridge! The ends leaves you wondering and wanting more from this story and the author!
One chapter more
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This usually is not my go to genre but since it came recommended and it wasn't too long, I decided to give it a go. Let's just say it was a half an hour on my toes looking behind me shoulder. It was good! Calvin Demmer has a way with words that simply transfers you to the screen of your mind showing you the pictures that will freeze your blood. I will have to check out other novellas! And since they're available on KU? That only makes it sweeter.
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Calvin Demmer writes intense horror stories. Part of a series called Short Sharp Shocks!, this one is a ghost story. Journalist Sylvia Bernstein is looking for that “big story,” which will boost her career into hyperspace. She should be careful what she wishes for.

Scouring a recently deceased colleague’s files, she finds an intriguing story about a “Suicide Bridge.” Who wouldn’t drop everything and chase a lead like that? In the best horror, readers spend time yelling “NO, don’t do it!” to the s
Kev Harrison
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd hugely enjoyed reading Calvin Demmer's flash fiction collection, 'The Sea Was a Fair Master,' so I'd been curious for some time to discover how he might handle a longer form work. This novlette release from Demain Publishing seemed like the perfect opportunity to find out.
The story is a gripping one from the off, plunging us straight into the news room of the central character, journalist Sylvia Bernstein and a disturbing mystery, left unsolved by her deceased predecessor. When she decides t
Sherry Fundin
Sylvia was searching for a good story to kick off her journalism career and almost immediately I thought I knew how the story would go…but not quite. Calvin Demmer wasn’t going to make it quite that easy for me.

Suicide Bridge…36 cases. Why had she never heard of it before?

I can guess. There’s something going on and everyone in town wants to keep it a secret.

Suitably creepy for an easy reading short story.