Start by marking “Anne Boleyn: 500 Years of Lies” as Want to Read:

Anne Boleyn: 500 Years of Lies

A bold new analysis of one of history’s most misrepresented women.

History has lied.

Anne Boleyn has been sold to us as a dark figure, a scheming seductress who bewitched Henry VIII into divorcing his queen and his church in an unprecedented display of passion. Quite the tragic love story, right?

Wrong.

In this electrifying exposé, Hayley Nolan explores for the first time the full, uncensored evidence oright?

Inlied.

Anne

Kindle Edition
Expected publication: December 1st 2019 by Little A

Win a Copy of This Book

• Anne Boleyn by Hayley Nolan
    Release date: Dec 01, 2019
    A bold new analysis of one of history’s most misrepresented women.

History has lied.

Anne Boleyn has been sold to us as a dark f

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 1292 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 31 - Nov 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Anne Boleyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne Boleyn

Start your review of Anne Boleyn: 500 Years of Lies
    Iset
    I’ll be honest – I was dubious about this book before I even cracked it open. Why? Because the title is so sensationalist, clearly designed to be the Tudor history reader’s equivalent of irresistible clickbait. Although the book clearly sets itself against shallow attempts at portraying Anne’s life, such as The Tudors and The Other Boleyn Girl, decrying their convenient cherry-picking of facts and uncritical use of rumour and scandal without bothering to analyse the credibility of such gossip, it seemed to ...more
    Heather Teysko
    Nothing new. Clickbait. Anyone who has read any recent biography of Anne will have read these same arguments before. Plus, the whole part of trying to diagnose someone as a sociopath using modern definitions from a distance of 500 years is pretty much irresponsible.
    Kathy
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
    What rubbish. Very shallow understanding, minimal evidence of substantive research, based on outdated assumptions, questionable analysis of sources. Plenty of better sources out there.
    Anna Zakara
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    This was one of the strangest books I have ever read, a weird mix of cringey pop culture references and angry attacks on other writers who actually agree with Nolan's views, but manage to convey them in a much more mature and analytical way.
    Daniel Beckham
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Five -hundred years of lies? The only lie here is the lie that everyone before Nolan has told lies. There is nothing new and no new evidence that has not been made available for years. Here the only thing worth commenting on is the mind-numbing arrogance of the author. She thanks Eric Ives for inching his way towards helping her towards the truth. She is the only person to provide 'uncensored' truth about Anne Boleyn because everyone before her has deliberately, or through lazy research, has fai ...more
    Steffie Dunn
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    What I don't understand is why this author thinks she's writing something new and has discovered facts no one else has ever heard of. I think it might have been more palatable a book if it hadn't been so full of aggressive attacks on actual historians.
    Tammy Weller
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I think the marketing of this book is phenomenal but that's where it ends. The actual book is a re hash of the most popular Anne Boleyn arguments, presented as though its new information that no one knows about. I think the most confusing part is the anger directed at all the people who have slandered Anne Boleyn and made her out to be a scheming trollop who got her comeuppance. That would be fine except...who are these people? I haven't read a book about Anne Boleyn in a long time that does any ...more
    Irene Croly
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I did not get very far into this book as I found the style of writing to be shallow and flippant and too irritating to bother with. Maybe if I had read long enough I would have found something new, but there are many better, well researched biographies out there.
    Cain Gannon
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Extremely disappointing, for a book that claims to renew and rediscover Anne Boleyn, there is actually nothing new about her. The information is the same you could find in other, more compelling and more professional works, e.g. Eric Ives, and Nolan’s twisting and dismissal of other historians’ works is immature, inaccurate and bordering on outright insulting. Very underwhelming.
    Tracey
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The Truth WILL out

You know the old saying about the truth coming out in the end? Well thanks to Hayley Nolan the truth has finally coming out about Anne Boleyn after 500 long years.
    This book shows that everything we have been told about Anne Boleyn was a lie. She was in fact an evangelical who did a lot for the poor.
    I don't think I will look at Henry VIII the same way again after Hayley discovered just what was wrong with him and Jane Seymour was far from little Miss Innocent!
    Anna Louise
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    More 3.5 stars.

This was a very compelling and very short biography of Anne Boleyn.

Whilst it taught me nothing new, I did find some points to be interestingly put and thought provoking. However I do think this was more of a rant than an explanation of findings, and there was a lot of sarcastic comments from the author interspersed, which I usually love but by the end it got a little jarring.

Overall, if you want to start looking into history and reading historical biographies, this is a quick a
    Gabrielle Story
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I gave up on this book which was basically one huge rant full of sarcasm and quips that weren't particularly clever or relevant. She didn't invent the wheel, and she certainly didn't discover the real Anne Boleyn.
    Beth Corrie