Start by marking “Secrets of the IN-group” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the IN-group

Secrets of the IN-group

Twitter … WhatsApp … Tumblr …

Six women in the riverside city of Albury realise that, without social media skills, they’re staring irrelevancy in the face. Their book club won’t cut it any more. It’s time to go virtual.

But their decision to plunge into the on-line world brings shocking revelations and unexpected outcomes. Friendships, new and old, are tested and their lives
Published May 2nd 2019 by Resisters

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the IN-group, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of the IN-group

Start your review of Secrets of the IN-group
Roberta
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The co-authors of SECRETS OF THE IN-GROUP have crafted a novel that is entertaining and thought provoking. Though it is set in Australia, the themes are universal. I had to chuckle that I recognized so many of the references to TV shows, thanks to PBS and Acorn TV.

Several middle aged women get took together for a book club. After a disastrous attempt to read MOBY DICK, they decide they would learn more with lessons in how to use the internet on a deeper level.This dive into social media and othe
Cathy Miers
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!! It makes me want to go on holidays to Albury!!! (Albury! I know!!) So many things I loved about it, the story, the characters, the setting, the cultural references. My only disappointment that Neelam’s blog is fictional as I want to learn some of those recipes!! I hope the Albury Tourist Bureau has sponsored the writers because I’m sure tourism will flourish as a result of this book. Just loved it. My favourite book this year.
Tried to get a copy at Dymocks and they
Lauriston Muirhead
This is not my genre - but I’m hooked! I know very little about contemporary women’s fiction but, if this is an example, I want more!
This story is superbly put together. Wonderfully focused observations of people, things and the beautiful city of Albury create real and amusing imagery. The story is intriguingly complex but not too complex for a new and unsophisticated reader such as me to follow.
The characters are great fun and relationships develop happily and amusingly and then suddenly at the
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Booksirens in exchange for an honest review.

This was the first book I selected from the site, and it did not disappoint. I enjoy reading women's fiction, under which I would classify this title.

I read this book in about four days, which tells you something. I was definitely involved with the characters and their lives. Re really exposes the reader to real people, with each of the characters being distinct enough so that each feels as if you could
Sally Denshire
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During the journey to become tech savvy in this enjoyable novel, each member of the In-Group proceeds to change their life in unexpected ways. 'Secrets of the In-Group' pays tribute to the friends who support us as we overcome set-backs later in life. The co-authors, Carolyn and Loretta Re (publishing as the Resisters) have done Albury proud! As a resident and serious fan of the library and museums in Albury I was delighted to find these well-loved venues featuring in the story as well as local ...more
Katherine Muirhead
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is not mere ‘chick-lit’...yes - it is about a disparate, yet versatile group of women, mostly on the verge of the freedom of mid-life discoveries, but it also sparkles with humour - sometimes so droll it may be missed. It has clever, though brief, literary references which jog pleasant memories and enough intrigue to fit the ‘whodunnit’ category - so much so that I am looking forward to a sequel or at least a come-uppance for the person who DID do it!
I loved this book and its spruiking
Mikki Paterson
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. So great to read an entertaining novel about my current town, listing landmarks, restaurants etc. Makes me realise how lucky I am to have landed here. Un-put-dowable, here's hoping for more of the same💜
Christina Stephanie (christinastephaniereads)
I really enjoyed this book. I loved that it was told from different character perspectives. The drama was great and really had me engaged in the story. I went in thinking it was going to be a light read about them learning about the internet/social media but it was actually a story of friendship and forgiveness - which I loved!

Thank you to the publisher and author for the free advanced review copy. This is my own honest review.
Elsa Hoffmann
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: made-for-movies
i have not enjoyed a book so much in ages.

For once I could identify with the characters in that they are all older women.

But, that does not make their lives boring, quite the opposite. Especially when they learn more about the world wide web...

At times funny, other times heartbreaking, Andrea, Sarah, Libby, Denise, Neelam and Kate learn more about themselves and each other as they navigate the intricacies of friendship and the internet, with often disastrous consequences.

I received a free copy o
Emily
Six women come together for book club but when they realize that technology has gotten the better of them, they decide a change is in order. They all decide to try out social media, however it is met with a few unexpected bumps along the way.

I have to say I have found myself in some of the situations these women had. I found them all completely relatable and if you cant relate personally to on, you probably know someone a character reminds you of. A breath of fresh air to read. Would love to se
Vicky
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This wasn’t my cup of tea, sorry. I’m surprised because I love books about books, reading and female friendships, but my heart wasn’t in this one.

That being said, I liked how well the characters were written-I could picture each one vividly. There were parts that made me smile and the story progressed at a good pace, ending in a nicely tied up way.

Kara Jay
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is getting 3 stars from me because I really liked the characters. They were fun. This story was a fun, easy to read story about a group of very different, yet relatable women. As a member of a book club, although different age and we actually talk about books, it was funny to see how they were able to blend all the different live on the pages as ours blend in real life.
The start of this book was difficult to get into, but once you're in it, you're in it. Recommend to those who want a q
Shanza
Aug 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-arcs
I was so excited to read this book but alas! This let me down so much.

The only thing I liked in the book was the imagery present in the book. The imagery about Albury was was vivid and beautiful that made me love it so much.

But I have some problems with it too. So I am discussing now what I didn't like.

So many 60 year old women, who are the main characters, behaving worse than teenagers. They are shown so immature and reckless at times, that made me so much uncomfortable. If the book didn't remi
Nicole Bibliolau19
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Books about book clubs, writers, or bookshops always draw me in, so when I was given the chance to read Carolyn and Loretta Re’s debut contemporary women’s novel, Secrets of the IN-Group, via Book Sirens, I took the opportunity in heartbeat and I’m so glad I did.

While Secrets of the IN-Group begins as a light, feel-good story about a small group of middle-aged women finding each other and forming close friendships through the creation of a book club, it gains more depth when the women decide the
Lauriston Muirhead
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not my genre - but I ‘m now hooked! I know very little about contemporary women’s fiction but, if this is an example, I want more!
Nicole Studioso
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I read a copy of this book through BookSirens. This is such a great study of six very different, mature women, all from varying backgrounds and upbringings. Wealthy, comfortable, middle class; married, divorced, widowed. Only two of the main characters, Andrea and Sarah, acually know each other at the beginning; everyone else is someone they meet or get to know through their fledgling book club. There are secrets to discover, drama to overcome, friendships to be tested.... The characters are wel ...more
Andrea
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I was first drawn to the book because of its title. In college, one of my groups of friends called ourselves the "In Group," but it was somewhat different. Granted, we were quite the motley crew of young men and women brought together because of technology, but were still young and foolish and rarely discussed books. And we definitely did learn a lot of life lessons along the way.

When I started to read the book, I was, of course, delighted to find that the first women we wer
Sharon J
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
An enjoyable, light but interesting read. Set in a the Australian rural city of Albury where a small group of women start a book club that develops into an Internet group. This leads to a lot of issues and tensions which makes for a realistic but dramatic twist to many aspects of the story line. The characters were well developed with intriguing inter-relations developing throughout the story.
The issues were of most interest were the online scamming via online dating; the use of eBay and gumtre
Miriam
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely book and insight to the lives of the women who belong to the IN-Group.

I have recently been reading a lot of cozy mysteries and I found the pace of this book to be a much needed change.

I really like how the authors wrapped up the storyline and had me guessing to the end.

Elizabeth
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to the author for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A book about a book club. Yes please. Set in Albury, Australia Secrets of the IN-Group tells the story of 6 women brought together when they sign up for a book club through their local library. Soon after it’s inception, books are abandoned and the club becomes an IT Club, known as the IN-group. The ladies learn all about social media: from Twitter to Pinterest, blogging and online dating. As they step out of t
Honestmamreader
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A story set in Albury, Australia. I've since discovered this is a real place. Which is now on my list of places I want to visit. It was so well described and the people all sound amazing.

This is a tale of six more mature ladies of Albury. They had aimed to set up a book club in order to meet new people. But, Moby Dick foiled them. This then led to the IN group (information networking group) because they have realised that the world around them is a very technological minefield.
"‘I mean, our lo
Fazila
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received an advanced review copy for free from BookSirens, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

FBRC REVIEW :

Secrets of the IN-Group is a beautiful story of six women who are trying to find their place and self-worth after being on their own. These stories make us question our own lives and the choices we have made in our journey through life. The individual stories were relatable and unique. Each of the characters had their own trials they endure to move on with their lives. O
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Andrea and Sarah, two friends who knew each other from school, now in middle age, decide to start a book group. The plan is for the group to be no bigger than 6 women, and they easily found 4 other women who were interested in joining. Neelam is a younger Indian woman, who comes over to take their picture at the library when they are setting up the group, and quickly becomes member 3. Libby and Kate meet each other for the first time at a class for makeovers and stumble upon the sign for the gro ...more
Janell Madison
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Secrets of the IN-Group” by Carolyn Re and Loretta Re

In “Secrets of the IN-Group” women come to be together in response to an ad at the library to join a book club. Six women, not knowing each other coming together for a common reason. What could go wrong?

Soon, the women come to realize they are behind the times! They have a hard time with the Kindle app, their cells phones and I-Pads, and don’t even begin to talk about Facebook or Twitter! Going viral? Is that good or bad?

As the new friends ge
Amy Ingalls
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-sirens
I received a complimentary copy of this book from BookSirens in exchange for an honest review.

For some reason, this book took me forever (over 2 weeks) to read. I just had a hard time getting into it, and when I put it down it was easy to ignore it and pick up other books instead. I'm not quite sure why-- I liked the characters and found their individual stories interesting, especially Sarah. I like the idea of celebrating older women-- they are often ignored by authors in favor of younger chara
Susan
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a pleasant story about a group of middle aged Australian women who set out to form a book club, but quickly get discouraged by Moby Dick. So they shift their focus to learning about the internet, under the tutelage of the charming Martin, an information security expert.

While it’s hard to say much more about the story without resorting to spoilers, suffice to say that as the story unfolds, some of the characters learn some unfortunate truths about their relationships and finances, but, as
Jaymie Shook
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, as I hoped I would, though it took me several chapters to really get into it. A few of the characters irritated me at first, but as I pushed through they all became well rounded and interesting. Having been part of several book clubs, I was a little confused that the book took so easily to changing the focus of the club, but I’m not of the same generation as the characters, so I took it in stride.

As a millennial, I shook my head as the ladies in the club started down their
Alison Hill
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Secrets of the IN-Group is aimed at fifty- and sixty something women, and is a great read for any book club in this demographic. That it starts with a book club underlines this. we meet each character as they sign up for a book group in Albury, a small city on the border of NSW and Victoria, Australia. The women soon venture into the online world as book club becomes tech club, and the intrigue and deception ramp up as they learn more about it.

The story moves along at a brisk pace and is full of
Melissa
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A group of women start a book club. After attempting to read the classic, Moby Dick, they vote to change to a club where they learn to use the internet.

Taking place in Australia, the women of the club discover the pluses and pitfalls of using the internet.

It's a heartwarming story of women who discover life doesn't end at 60. Each undergoes a personal journey. The journeys are interwoven with the friendships they discover.

It was refreshing to read a story where the main characters are "older"
Miss_85
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an engaging read, the premise of a book club becoming a tech group was interesting. As the revelations and problems associated with this unravelled, some of the outcomes were more predictable and some less so but it wasn’t done in the most obvious ways as the bigger picture was revealed. There was definitely some intrigue and guess work, which I really enjoyed. I will definitely seek out more by these authors on the strength of this book. Thank you to book sirens for my free copy of thi ...more

• The Light in the Hallway
  • A Month of Sundays
  • You Are Not Alone
  • If I Never Met You
  • The Birthday Girl
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • Emily, Gone
  • The Grace Year
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • Pretty Guilty Women
Carolyn Re worked for over twenty years as a general practitioner before swapping her stethoscope for a pen.
No longer having to write serious medical and scientific articles, she's now switched to writing contemporary fiction for older women.
Carolyn lives in the regional city of Albury, New South Wales, with Ziggy the whippet and three carefree chickens.

News & Interviews