Start by marking “The Magician's Apprentice (Dragon Mage Chronicles Prequel)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Apprentice (Dragon Mage Chronicles Prequel)

The Magician's Apprentice

(Dragon Mage Chronicles #0)

Jander Teregnan has never wanted anything more than to become a mage--to serve his king and defend his country as he explores his natural talent at commanding the strange power known as magic. Of course every apprentice needs a master, which comes with its own set of challenges...especially when the master he's chosen for himself is none other than Andrei Teresh, personal ...more
ebook
Published September 1st 2019 by White Owl Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magician's Apprentice

Start your review of The Magician's Apprentice (Dragon Mage Chronicles Prequel)
Kathleen
While this was a nice introduction to JA Jaken's Dragon Mage Chronicles, it could easily have been cut in half. The prose was lovely, truly, but the author's verbosity really slowed the story down... especially in the last half of the book. 470 pages should really have been around 250-300 pages max. World building was pretty good but some of the supporting characters were lacking in depth.

I would like to have known much more about Andrei's past. He really was an enigma. Also more about the kitl
Joyfully Jay
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

3 stars

The Magician’s Apprentice is a violent book, opening with a scene of rape. One of the characters has been a prostitute since childhood, and isn’t that far from being a child anymore. Characters are kidnapped, held at knife point, and repeatedly threatened with rape. Jander is even magically assaulted as the dark mage, Kirin, uses his powers to try to bring Jander to orgasm against his will. The scenes themselves aren’t overly graphic, but they may be a bit much for
Dorkus
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written m/m adventure romance

This is an amazing m/m romance.
This author has sucked me into this world and now I sit here awaiting the next series.
I have read one other book from this author and have re-read it time and time again.
This was just spectacular.
Ignore that 1 star review it was written by a person who obviously cannot read categories.
Juli
Mar 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit
Dnf'd at 50 %. It wasn't even that bad, but very boring. No women except for that weird mini dragon, and the protagonist is sometimes very stupid. He isn't very good at using magic yet, but can't seem to think of any other way to get out of the scrapes he constantly gets himself (and others) into, even if, say, he has a knife his attacker doesn't know anything about. Also, I expected to read a romance, but up to now there was casual sex that makes people feel good, casual sex that makes people f ...more
Debra Guyette
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Magician's Apprentice is the beginning of the Dragon Mage Chronicles. This one chronicles the meeting between Jander and Andrei. It was an exciting meeting and showed how dangerous it could be for JAnder and Andrei. I look forward to the next book.
Margaret A.
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful and emotion laden plot.

Even as Jadar searching for a master willing to take him on, he also searches for that certain relationship we all seek, love and the bonding on that deeper level. He finds his power and a few close friends in surprising areas along his way.
PaperMoon
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great start to a new fantasy series. I was thoroughly engaged all though the book and am looking forward to the three subsequent 'Drake' titles promised in the coming year.
 Meghan
The plot is ok, but the characters weren't very well developed. Also it had more sex scenes than seemed warranted. Was disappointed since it has been on my TBR list for a while.
E
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scorching in more than one way!

A delightfully intense tale of a boy coming into his destiny and finding plenty of love and friendship along the way! Every sex scene is wonderful in its own way and all of them are incandescently hot. There’s a deeply evil villain who is also cunning and clever, a noble king, a playful kitling, a beloved friend, and a reluctant master mage, not to mention the main character Jander, and all of them feel fully realised and 3-dimensional.

Very much looking forward t
Devon
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

Absolutely amazing! I love magic and dragons and this was perfect. I’m buying the Dragon Mage Chronicles right now. Ecstatic to continue the journey....
Carra
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to preface this by saying this is the first time I’ve read this author, and after finishing The Magician’s Apprentice I’m keeping a close eye out for the Dragon Mage Chronicles to follow. I was completely pulled into this world the author created, and can’t wait to follow Jander and Andrei on the rest of their adventures.

The matchup of the young, magically inexperienced (but promising) and dedicated Jander with the older, skillful but gun-shy when it comes to taking on an apprentice ma
Tina Sharp
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This book has everything: magic, dragons, action, suspence, romance and great sex. Worning, there is rape, but it adds to the evil intent of the enemies in the book and how important it is that they must be stopped. This book kept me at the edge of my seat, rooting for the good guys to preserver.
Kent R Wagner
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

I loved this book. Romance and adventure abound from beginning to end. Highly recommended. Am looking forward to the next installment.

Ken
Dec 13, 2019
Kim
Sep 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound #5)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • First Moon (Four Moons #1)
  • Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
  • Wolfsbane (Werewolves of Boston #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • Melee Mage (Fledgling God #2)
  • The Witchstone Amulet
  • Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
  • The Assassin's Dragon (Fire and Valor #3)
  • The Prince's Dragon (Fire and Valor #2)
J.A. Jaken has been writing homoerotic fiction for more than ten years. She got her start in the profession writing slash fanfiction, where she has published numerous stories under the pen-name Rushlight. Over the years she has written erotic short stories and novels in genres ranging from science fiction/fantasy to gothic horror to modern detective mysteries.

She realized at a young age that she w

Dragon Mage Chronicles (4 books)
  • Stormdrake (Dragon Mage Chronicles #1)
  • Seadrake (Dragon Mage Chronicles #2)
  • Firedrake (Dragon Mage Chronicles #3)
  • Wardrake (Dragon Mage Chronicles Book 4)

News & Interviews