Start by marking “Donn's Hill (The Soul Searchers Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Donn's Hill (The Soul Searchers Mysteries #1)

Donn's Hill

(The Soul Searchers Mysteries #1)

Mackenzie Clair needs a fresh start. The death of her father and a broken relationship rendered her old life unlivable. What better place to build a new one than Donn’s Hill, the most haunted town in America and her favorite childhood vacation spot?

But returning to Donn’s Hill awakens more than nostalgia. As memories resurface, so does a lost psychic ability to talk to
Published April 5th 2019 (first published March 3rd 2017)

Start your review of Donn's Hill (The Soul Searchers Mysteries #1)
Fani
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
“This is home.”

Moving in and getting used to a new town can be difficult for anyone but Mackenzie’s move to Donn’s Hill takes the prize. The story begins with Mackenzie exploring her new town and meeting new people, each and every character had a unique personality and I enjoyed discovering more about them as the story progressed.

It wasn’t long before peculiar things started happening in this book and I was so surprised to see just how many odd things could one little town like Donn’s Hill,
Errin Krystal
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll admit, I’m not generally a big reader of mystery and thrillers, but the synopsis for this book had me interested enough to give it a try. Plus the paranormal element and ghost hunters definitely helped sell it.

I am happy to report, I am glad I took a chance on reading something different. If I had of passed on this book, I really would have been missing out. I ended up thoroughly enjoying Donn’s Hill. I read the whole
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Larrinaga's writing is casual and easy to read. She deftly pulls you into the world of Donn's Hill with approachable, quirky characters and a solidly built plot. Lurking within the strong writing are some bone-chilling, hackle-raising, what-the-hell-was-that-noise moments of delicious creepiness. This book isn't my usual genre, but I couldn't put it down. Larrinaga is a new author worth watching. I'm looking forward to the next installment of this promising series.
Mel
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of Donn’s Hill in exchange for an honest review.

Donn’s Hill was most definitely expertly written, with a good mix of characters. It was an interesting idea to have Mac who could genuinely interact with people who had passed mixing with a ghost hunting show. This gave a good fictional representation of both sides of opinion as to whether ghosts etc are real.

Personally, I felt the plot was a bit slow but the expert writing made up for this.
Jessica
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mackenzie Clair pares down everything she owns into one backpack. She decides to move after she finds her boyfriend cheating on her upon coming home from her father's funeral. She ends up in Donn's hill the place her mother used to take her as a child. Strange things start happening when she arrives like seeing a man that's not really there. She is welcome by some but not by others in this strange little town. She starts to find there are paranormal forces at work and they are trying to tell her ...more
Julie Baswell
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mackenzie Clair’s mother died when she was very young. Now, her father has died also, leaving her with no living relatives. When she finds out that her long-time boyfriend is cheating on her, she kicks him out, finding herself alone for the first time in her life. Deciding to make a fresh start, she moves to Donn’s Hill since she has fond childhood memories of going there with her mother. As soon as she gets there though, a disturbing spirit starts haunting her. That’s when she finds out that ...more
Martin McConnell
Loved it!

I received an ARC in exchange for a review on my website, and I can't shut up about the book ever since. Caryn has a way with characters. All of them have their own story, and felt very real.

I can't say what captured my attention. The plot is a little slow, but captivating. I probably got through it faster than most novels I read. It kept me hooked. I think the character and world building were the cause. It also kept me guessing. Just when I thought I had it figured out, the plot would
Carl Hackman
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was sent to my wife as an ARC for an honest review. I'll write her words here as she does not have an Amazon account.

The main character is brilliant and my wife says if we didn't have a house full of rescue dogs then she'd adopt a cat as she fell in love with striker. If you love the Ghost Hunters and other Paranormal T.V shows then this book is right up your street. It is has ghosts, psychics, seances and a murder mystery. What more could you ask for, apart from the next in the
Theresa Braun
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect summer read, especially if you can’t commit to a book genre. What I mean is that this story has something for all of your cravings: it’s part supernatural/paranormal, part mystery, and part crime, with a touch of horror. This is also a character driven story about self-discovery, friendship, trusting intuition, and much more. What makes Mackenzie’s journey so enjoyable is her voice. There’s a casual, down-to-earth tone to the narrative that kept me flipping the pages. She’s ...more
Roxie Prince
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

'Donn's Hill' by Caryn Larrinaga (narrated by Jessica McEvoy)
5/5
Finished on August 20, 2017
$2.99 on Kindle | $14.99 in Paperback | FREE with Audible Trial

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Mackenzie Clair's father died. She found her boyfriend cheating on her. Now, she needs a fresh start. So, she moves to Donn's Hill, a place she used to go with her mother as a little girl, but when she gets there, more is awakened in her than just nostalgia. She discovers
Booksiren
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Larrinaga blends high suspense, tense mystery, a poignant account of finding friendships and loyalty, and a touching narrative to craft this hard-to-put-down paranormal mystery series.

In the first book, untimely death of her father and a broken relationship forces Mackenzie Clair to leave her home and city behind to start afresh in her favorite childhood vacation spot, the small town of Donn’s Hill. As her lost psychic ability to talk to the dead returns, Mackenzie joins the team of Soul
Krystyna
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely terrific - Ghosts Whisperer meets Supernatural

What a fantastic read and am so glad to hear that this is going to be a series. A plot full of murder and greed with a liberal dose of ghosts. The characters embody strength and resistance whilst making the storyline flow. (Although some proofing errors in the time line should have been picked up)
With the death of her father, the betrayal of her longterm boyfriend and a general dissatisfaction with her life have led her to this particular
Charli
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Donn’s Hill is a horror/mystery/thriller that involves the paranormal. As such, I knew I had to give it a shot. I wasn’t disappointed.

Donn’s Hill is Caryn Larrinaga’s debut novel. As such, it does suffer a bit from “first book syndrome” but in all honesty, it doesn’t really detract from the story. This one needs the long set-up to make it as impactful as it is. Not to mention this is the first book in a series, which makes it even more forgivable that the set-up takes as long as it does.

I really
Travis Poole
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this and plan on tracking down more books by this author. Lot of fun, lot of humor and a super cool cat named Striker. The author obviously has cats because she describes Striker absolutely perfectly. At one point Striker poses in the shape of a loaf of bread and I never realized I knew exactly what the pose was. The main character, Mac(kenzie) loses her father and decides she wants to start over and move to where she and her mother vacationed as a child. Mac lost her mother as ...more
Sandra Lopez
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Welcome to Donn’s Hill.

A new life was to being for Mackenzie.

On the first night in a dingy motel, Mac awoke to an intruder. Or, at least, she thought it was an intruder. But there was no one there. Could the Travelers be back? Travelers?

It would seem that the Travelers were her imaginary friends. Or were they…?

The odd thing was that Mac showed up at the peak of the Afterlife Festival. Strange how that cat just kept following her around. Strange things kept happening.

Story had a good concept,
MLW
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this novel up at Boise Book Fest. I was hesitant to dive in as I don't typically read horror, but I found it to be a consistently enjoyable read. There was one thrilling scene at a haunted cabin in the woods but nothing too scary. I'd call Donn's Hill a cozy mystery with a paranormal twist.

The story is well-written with a relatable narrator, perfect pacing, expertly woven-in and relevant backstory, well-developed characters, just the right amount of description, and delightful dashes of
Teri
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
She thought she had made a good decision to head back to a place where she had happy memories after all that had happened to her. She just wanted a fresh start. Well she got that in spades. Moving to a small town was supposed to be a sure bet and this was anything but that. Secrets are revealed not only about the town but about her parents. Finding her entire world flipped and all she knew now in question she is trying to find the truth and instead finds new gifts. It's a great suspenseful tale ...more
Tracey Digilormo
I really enjoyed this book. I found it by accident really on my kindle. I had looked up another book and it had this one showing what other people bought when they got the particular book I was looking at. So I thought I would buy buy it and give it a try. I am so glad I did. So with me sharing how I found this book and author i will tell you my thoughts on the book lol.

I normally don't read paranormal books. I was caught up in the synopsis of the book. Mac moving back home after the death of
Daniel Yocom
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donn’s Hill was a good read that kept me interested. I quickly went through the 328 pages and was left thinking about what comes next for Mackenzie Clair.

The story is strong and has emphasizes the mystery. The horror element is present in the use of the supernatural and in solving the mystery. Since it is about a murder, there are some details written in.

Characters are alive and personable. They have depth even when they only come to the page a few times.

I look forward to reading more from Caryn
Tristan Pacheco
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I really liked the tone of this book. It was the type of book that you want to curl up in bed to. I met the author at a Pagan Pride festival and she introduced me to the book. I had just finished a different series and I was ready for something new. She was really nice and I could see her style reflected really well here. I suggest this to anyone who just wants to find something new. It gets a little slow in some parts, so I took a star, but it wasn't a terrible problem. I loved this
Lauren
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cosy mystery with a side of creepy

It's an old story - the new person in town seeking a fresh start, a murder that casts everything into question. The twist in this particular tale is Mac’s psychic powers and they add a delightfully creepy edge, especially at the beginning.

Aside from that, the book is well written, the supporting cast varied and interesting, the mystery fast paced, the answer not easily obvious, and the overall effect extremely promising.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this
Tess
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh this was so fun! The audiobook, narrated by my favorite no sleep voice actress Jessica Mcevoy, was so incredible and I really enjoyed this story. I'd say that some of the plot was a bit slow but the characters were so lovable and I think this was an amazing debut novel. I want more of Striker the cat and the Ghost hunting gang and I DEFINITELY wish Donn's Hill was a real place.
Mari Funai
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. Not very long (but not too short, in fact, just right.). I'm glad this is the start of a series because I want to see where everything is going.
If you like a cozy mystery and a few ghosts, and a cat with esp, then stop by for a read...(just so you know, this is not a scary book).
Pat Eroh
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous new series with great characters and a wonderful town of Donn Hill. I love Mac and her cat Striker, and the whole cast is wonderful as well. I am looking forward to more in this series.

Heather Bane
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great read. The story is well written and keeps your attention. The characters are well developed and written. Love Mac and the rest of the characters. I recommend reading.

SylviaV
Donn's Hill by Caryn Larrinaga Book 1 in the series.
This is a stand alone book and a cozy paranormal mystery with interesting characters. I got book free on amazon.com. I really enjoyed this engaging story and when I finished book 1 was intrigued enough by the story telling and characters, to buy book 2. I was not disappointed. A great read. 4 stars.
Linda Montgomery
Different and I wrongly good!

I had expected this book to be a quick read and relaxing. I couldn't put it down; I felt connected from the first page! I was disappointed about it ending, wanting to read more. I will definitely be reading more of her books!
Cheryll
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from my son who is a friend of the author.
I'm not a fan of paranormal stories and stepped carefully into reading this story.
But I found it pulled me in (lol) slowly and held my interest until I realized I couldn't put it down easily. There were so many little details in Caryn's writing that were fun to discover as she refers to Salt Lake City of which I am familiar. Donn's Hill begins to grow on you and who wouldn't love Mac's furry friend? But the murder mystery is one of
Romi
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start to what I hope is a series

Donn's Hill is a great book with likable protagonist and the paranormal aspects only add to the story depth. I hope this is the start of a series because this author has what it takes .
James Wymore
If you don't believe in ghosts before you read this book, you might after. Larrinaga's novel is an amazing paranormal murder mystery with characters you will love, a shocking ending, and plenty of supernatural twists along the way. The audoibook is fantastic, too.

• The Ghost Sensitive
  • The Ghostwriter and the Gems (A Lighthouse Inn Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Crossing Over Easy (Eastwind Witches #1)
  • Beached & Bewitched (A Magic Island Paranormal Cozy Mystery #1)
  • An Infamous Betrayal (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #3)
  • The Bigfoot Blunder (A Charlie Rhodes Mystery, #1)
  • The Chupacabra Catastrophe (A Charlie Rhodes Mystery, #2)
  • The Werewolf Whoops (A Charlie Rhodes Mystery, #3)
  • The Megalodon Mix-Up (A Charlie Rhodes Mystery, #4)
  • The Undead Uproar (A Charlie Rhodes Mystery #5)
  • Spell Maven from Spell Haven (Spell Maven Mystery Book 1)
  • Moonshine and Manslaughter (Hillbilly Hexes Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst
  • The Far Shore
  • A Poisoning In Piccadilly (The Lady Eleanor Mysteries Book 1)
  • Baskerville for the Bear (Thistlewood Star Mysteries #0.5)
  • A Scandalous Deception (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #2)
  • Family Ghouls (A Greek Ghouls Mystery #1)
Caryn Larrinaga is an award-winning mystery, horror, and urban fantasy writer. Her debut novel, DONN'S HILL, was awarded the League of Utah Writers 2017 Silver Quill in the adult novel category and was a 2017 Dragon Award finalist.

Watching scary movies through split fingers terrified Caryn as a child, and those nightmares inspire her to write now. Her 90-year-old house has a colorful history, and

The Soul Searchers Mysteries (2 books)
  • Donn's Shadow (The Soul Searchers Mysteries #2)