Start by marking “McMindfulness: How Mindfulness Became the New Capitalist Spirituality” as Want to Read:
McMindfulness: How Mindfulness Became the New Capitalist Spirituality

McMindfulness: How Mindfulness Became the New Capitalist Spirituality

A lively and razor-sharp critique of mindfulness as it has been enthusiastically co-opted by corporations, public schools, and the US military.

Mindfulness is now all the rage. From celebrity endorsements to monks, neuroscientists and meditation coaches rubbing shoulders with CEOs at the World Economic Forum in Davos, it is clear that mindfulness has gone mainstream. Some h
Published July 9th 2019 by Repeater

To ask other readers questions about McMindfulness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McMindfulness

Alan Hughes
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, religion
I was introduced to the raisin in the last few years of my work. Eating a raisin is often used as an exercise to explain the mechanics and theory of mindfulness. I, along with a group of mental health service providers, were invited to look at the raisin, smell it, examine its contour and texture, hold it in our mouth and examine it with our tongue and taste buds and through this, and some other strategies, learn how to be "in the moment". We were being introduced to Mindfulness which we were as ...more
Cindi
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, hidden-gems-arc
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for my review.

The term "mindfulness" has become a new catch phrase. You can't look at a self help, recovery or parenting section of a bookstore without finding a dozen or more books with 'mindful' in the title. You hear about it in school meetings, workshops, on the cover of magazines & in the news. I started to feel like this term was just the 'new thing' & wondered how watered down these approaches had become. After a few school meetings, i ju
Özgür Takmaz
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
We can be liberated moment to moment by meaningful action.
Aynur Aslanova
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I agree that it’s hard to even think about mindfulness, let alone trying to experience it. However, I think the writer confuses mindfulness with not having opinion about politics, not voting, leaving in your mind only, etc. these are two different cases. One can live mindfully, yet actively participate in politics.
Lawrence Grandpre
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent analysis of the limitations of the current mindfullnes framework permitting corporate culture today. Critiques the internalization of discipline and abstraction of the practice from larger buddhist concepts of right livelihood, ethics and communal interconnectedness.
Jongmae Park
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very detailized description on the recounts of mindfulness...Dr. Purser also a Buddhist Reverend who practically cultivating himself to obtain the higher stage of goal...hence, he has Scholastically and substantially practice the mindfulness meditation... However, he knew, how to expound the thousands of recounts from fewer topics...has very professional manner and wonderful writing.
Tom Pepper
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A much needed response to all the overblown hype about mindfulness. I’ve written a more detailed response to the book here: https://faithfulbuddhist.wordpress.co...
Chris Middleman
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I was desperate for someone to write this book and give voice to the critique I knew needed to be made. “Mindfulness” as colonized and commodified Buddhist thought and made into DYI neoliberal subjectification. The remedy? Sounds an awful lot like class consciousness.
Madison
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
Purser provides excellent analysis of the corporatization and appropriation of Buddhist dharma for the purpose of serving the neoliberal, capitalist order.
Thomas W
Ahoo
Kate
Benjamin
Jun 14, 2019
“Anything that offers success in our unjust society without trying to change it is not revolutionary — it just helps people cope.” 1 likes
“it says the causes of suffering are disproportionately inside us, not in the political and economic frameworks that shape how we live.” 1 likes