Start by marking “The Way I Heard It” as Want to Read:
The Way I Heard It

The Way I Heard It

Emmy-award winning gadfly Mike Rowe presents a ridiculously entertaining, seriously fascinating collection of his favorite episodes from America’s #1 short-form podcast, The Way I Heard It, along with a host of memories, ruminations, illustrations, and insights. It’s a delightful collection of mysteries. A mosaic. A memoir. A charming, surprising must-read.

Mike Rowe’s The
Published October 15th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Way I Heard It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way I Heard It

Start your review of The Way I Heard It
Diane S ☔
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
4+ I first saw Mike Rowe on Dirty jobs, and enjoyed his humor, his willingness to try anything. Reading this I learned he is or was, a big Paul Harvey fan, as was my husband. Everyday my husband would stop and listen avidly until the end and the words, the rest of the story. This is what Rowe does here, tell stories, some of people well known, well maybe depending on the age of the reader, others not as familiar. They are surprising, little known, at least to me, events I their lives. I bet most ...more
Bianca
High 4*

The blurb says "The Way I Heard It collects thirty-five fascinating stories for the curious mind with a short attention span.” This perfectly describes me, so this book worked a treat.

Like many others, I discovered Mike Rowe some years ago, via the Dirty Jobs show, which was excellent. His humour, wit and ability to not take himself seriously were quite endearing. Oh, and that voice! My goodness, that voice...

His voice prompted me to ask my library to pretty please purchase the
Dave
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are still some of us who remember hearing the esteemed Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story," on the AM radio, often after Larry King's talk show. Harvey would take a famous person or event and offer a background story, only telling the audience who the subject of the story was at the end. Mike Rowe, the former QVC salesman and host of the hit show "Dirty Jobs," continues Harvey's work, acknowledging the debt owed to Harvey at the beginning and the end. These stories, all about celebrities ...more
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars

Having meet Mike Rowe through my job at the college, I tried to get this book as an ARC every place I could. Of course, I was never able...sigh! So grabbed it from the library as soon as I could.

Mike Rowe is very involved in trade schools or colleges that promote the trades. He feels that not everyone is suited to regular college classes and hands on trades are desperately needed. He donated some scholarships to our college once he had toured and met everyone. If you have ever watched
Janet Newport
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very nice break from all the holiday chaos.

I have laughed for years a Dirty Jobs. I'll still take a break for the re-runs. I've enjoyed Paul Harvey for many of those years as well (here I go, dating myself again). This easy read was a wonderful combination of the two.
Frosty61
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Mike Rowe in the TV show, Dirty Jobs, mainly for his self-deprecating humor. As he says in the beginning of the book, this one is along the lines of "The Rest of the Story" by Paul Harvey with Rowe adding his brand of humor and wise cracking. It works for me.

He tells short stories about various famous or infamous people from the past, not naming them - saving the 'aha' moment for the end of each one. It was fun trying to guess the subject of the story before the big reveal. He also
Karen Rush
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mike Rowe is a natural storyteller. His wisdom, humor, common sense and compassion are evident throughout these compelling stories of humanity. I especially love the mystery of the personality at the start of each chapter. Mike’s rolling out of little known tidbits leading up to the reveal is brilliant. Mike also peppers in his personal history and TV-land experiences. He has lived a colorful life and worked many interesting jobs. I enjoyed reading the stories of his work experiences and was ...more
Amanda Yates
This book will drop you into peoples worlds. Be warned though you will read the whole thing in your Mike Rowe voice. It was very well done and the stories within are amazing.
Timothy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the man who gave dignity to people who work the necessary “Dirty Jobs” that Keep the world running and who introduced us to people who make the world a better place. A couple of years back Mike Rowe started a Podcast and attempted to fill the late Paul Harvey shoes by telling little known stories about people and places we thought we knew. The Podcast is called, “The Way I Heard It” and this book is part a collection of those stories and part bio. It’s just fun to read.
Lolly K Dandeneau
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'I had a pedestal once. I put a pig on it. You can google it. Go ahead, do it- I’ll wait.'

In The Way I Heard It, Mike Rowe shares stories about famous people interspersed with tales of his own fascinating journey, from his youth cutting trees with is Dad, his days at QVC selling all sorts of odd products (I recommend his Katsak clip on YouTube), the famous Dirty Jobs (which many of us sorely miss) to his current podcast, The Way I heard it, you
Brenda
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6/5 stars. This will be my gift-giving Christmas 2019 book. It is so universal in its appeal. I couldn't put it down! I would savor a chapter then pick the book back up to see what the next story was about.

Well researched chapters highlighting various people are tied into Mike's life experiences in such a natural way it was like listening to a friend tell you about his day.

My favorite story was that of Alan Hale. Now i will have to be re-watching some old movies to spot him..

I am left with a
Dana
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
Mike Rowe, the master storyteller. The Way I Heard It is witty and highly entertaining! I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of short stories and trying to guess the celebrities. Full disclosure, I was able to guess very few, haha!! I loved the fact there was a history lesson with each short story and the tie in to Mike's own life adventures. Oh what a life he has lived! I highly recommend picking this up!

A huge thank you to Simon & Schuster for my review copy!
Mo
Dec 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read the first 4 stories and disliked them all.
Amber Martin
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I save my 5 star reviews for the books that will stick with me. Mike Rowe realized this and kicked in my door like the Koolaid Man waiting for that review. I've always liked Mike (sounds like a campaign ad) and figured I'd give his book a go. He managed to keep something that is bio-esque super interesting. Every chapter starts with the story of someone famous but luckily for the whole reading world we're not talking about anyone with the last name Kardashian, etc. Instead we get people like Mel ...more
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Five stars all the way. I have been an adoring fans of Mike Rowe since his days at QVC. This book is a great read and would make a fabulous Xmas gift for that person who is hard to buy for.
Maude Arcand
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply because Mike Rowe wrote the book, I expected it to have a side of humour, and it did. What I did not expect was the historical side. Stories of well known historical figures told as a mystery story, that lets you discover only at the end who’s story it is. Not all of the over 30 chapters are written that way but those were my favorites, it provided a surprising, smooth and unexpected educational aspect to the book. Rowe is a great story teller, he blends beautifully historical characters ...more
Darla
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part homage to Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" and part memoir. I was thoroughly entertained by Mike Rowe's self-effacing style and laugh-out-loud anecodotes from his childhood and early career. I have not heard his podcast, so it was all new to me. It was a challenge for me to try and guess the subject of the "story" that began each chapter. Even if you aren't a fan of Mike Rowe, I think this book could convert you. It is that good.
Christina Farr-Thompson
Really funny and honest. It is REALLY a good one!
Kim
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
An interesting and entertaining listen, especially for Mike Rowe fans like me.
Teresa
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this. Quick, entertaining and completely comforting. I alternated between the hardcover and the audiobook (which of course Mike Rowe narrates) and I have to say, the audiobook was better for me. It was impossible for me to not read ahead to figure out who the story was about. Lots of surprising information.

And now I have to go binge watch Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch again. And add the podcast to my list.
Misty
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-love
It is no secret that I love Mike Rowe. Like LOVE LOVE Mike Rowe. Who knew it was possible for me to love him any more? Well this book did it for me. I adore all of the stories and found myself saying , "Wow, I had no idea" on more than one occasion.

Great book! I recommend this for ANYONE, even if you aren't familiar with Mike Rowe and especially if you grew up listening to Paul Harvey... his stories remind me of Paul Harvey & his stories!
Amy
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun. And you’ve got to listen to it. Because... Mike Rowe! Who I believe is the second most recognized voice ever.
First being Morgan Freeman. He needs to write a book and read it to me!
This book was so original. Stories about people we know with facts that maybe we didn’t. Plus his own little personal insights about his work (mainly Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch). This book was funny with a lot of heart and I would recommend it to anyone.
Shannon Rochester
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A huge thanks to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

I saw this pop up in my options on Netgalley one day and immediately asked for it. I love Mike Rowe so much as a person and as an entertainer. I didn't really know what it would be about and I didn't really care. But I didn't need to worry about a thing. Mike presented us with a collection of essays about various celebrities that came with a history lesson. The deal was that he would give us
Lisa
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: october-2019
Thank you Simon and Schuster Canada for sending a copy of The Way I Heard It by Mike Rowe for review. This collection of stories from his podcast interspersed with stories from his life is available tomorrow. I would definitely put this on the list for those tough to buy for readers on your list. These stories were short, entertaining and highly readable!
(special shout out for my son who let me borrow his decoration for exactly the time it took me to set up but not long enough to take the
Brenda
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
By far one of the best books I've read so far this year (and I've read a lot of books already this year)! Part history (the fascinating kind, not the boring I need to learn it for a class kind), part memoir, always fascinating (a lot of those aha moments) and frequently funny (like laugh out loud kind of funny)! Inspired in part by his fascination of and admiration for the legendary Paul Harvey, this book is a collection of short "stories", none of which seem to have anything in particular in ...more
Christine Cheripka
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had heard of Mike Rowe, saw snippets of Dirty Jobs, saw his mother on commercials, but I never appreciated the fantastic story teller who lurked underneath the grime and sludge...this is by far one of the best (and informative) books I have read in a long time....the 35 stories are short enough to satisfy my short attention issues....each story leads to a person in the end that you would not expect it to be....I have a new found appreciation of the career and skills of Mike Rowe and would ...more
W. Whalin
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If You Loved THE REST OF THE STORY, Hear this book

Mike Rowe is a storyteller and can spin a fascinating tale. He has a popular podcast and took a number of those episodes and it became the material for THE WAY I HEARD IT. Rowe tells that he patterned these stories from the famous radio broadcaster, Paul Harvey and his program called THE REST OF THE STORY.

Rowe will tell his story and leave you guess until the last sentence as to who he is talking about—then it turns out to be someone well-known
Lori Quick
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Way I Heard It by Mike Rowe has been great fun to read. I really enjoyed his stories. Grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit back and relax and get ready for a fun ride. Thanks to NetGalley and publisher for this amazing early copy.
Moonkiszt
A treasure! That's what Mike Rowe is. . . .his way to tell a tale, to spin the story, holds you at fire's edge, marshmallow plunging off the stick black burnt from neglect. . .

Each of his Paul Harvey-esque subjects are woven through with his own story, in a very particular order that speaks to his purpose and aims in life. A true delight, a fun read. I listened and can't imagine reading it because his voice is so luscious.

4 stars! I hope he does more . . . .
Dani
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If this is on your TBR list, do yourself a favor and listen to him narrate it. Do this especially if you already listen to and are a fan of his podcast.

Easily one of my favorite reads/listens of the year. Glad to have it on the shelves and in my Audible library.
Play Book Tag: The Way I Heard It by Mike Rowe - 4 stars 1 7 Nov 29, 2019 09:01AM

• About My Mother: True Stories of a Horse-Crazy Daughter and Her Baseball-Obsessed Mother
  • Mobituaries: Great Lives Worth Reliving
  • With All Due Respect: Defending America With Grit and Grace
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers: The Texas Victory That Changed American History
  • The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • Me
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Guardians
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse
  • Greatful American
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • Touched by the Sun: My Friendship with Jackie
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
American television host and narrator, actor and former opera singer, best known for his work on the Discovery Channel series Dirty Jobs.