Start by marking “The Night Before” as Want to Read:
The Night Before

The Night Before

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  7,208 ratings  ·  1,760 reviews
First dates can be murder.

Riveting and compulsive, national bestselling author Wendy Walker’s The Night Before “takes you to deep, dark places few thrillers dare to go” as two sisters uncover long-buried secrets when an internet date spirals out of control.

Laura Lochner has never been lucky in love. She falls too hard and too fast, always choosing the wrong men.
Published November 28th 2019 by Orion (first published May 14th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Arlyne
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  7,208 ratings  ·  1,760 reviews

Start your review of The Night Before
Emily May
I look at him, and neither of us speaks. I wonder which is real. Which is the truth. Is this a dream or a nightmare?

This was pretty entertaining. Going by my review, I certainly liked it a lot more than Walker's All Is Not Forgotten. I especially liked the ending, but of course I can't say why.

It's told from the perspective of two sisters - Laura and Rosie - who are living together after Laura had a bad break-up and fled her life in NYC to stay with Rosie. Laura's narrative takes us through
Deanna

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I really enjoyed this author's previous novels, “Emma in the Night” and “All is Not Forgotten”. Needless to say, I was looking forward to reading "The Night Before". Especially after reading the description.

Twelve hours earlier, she was...

Now she's gone.

The book begins four months earlier. Laura Lochner is in session with her therapist. She’s talking about a night from many years ago. She wants to
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press
I do believe I'll be keeping this one brief for now, as it's not released until mid 2019, but I wanted to get a few thoughts down first while it's still fresh in my mind. I believe keeping the synopsis brief in the description above is brilliant; I truly hope the publisher keeps it as vague as possible because it was so helpful going into this one knowing as little as possible.

I'll admit, I was getting a bit nervous around the halfway point because I had figured out all of the "reveals" up
Susanne  Strong
5 Frakking Awesome Stars!!

If you thought Wendy Walker hit it out of the park with her earlier novels: “All is Not Forgotten” and “Emma in The Night,” well Fuggedaboutit folks! She just won the World Freakin Series with her latest novel: “The Night Before.”

So what is this one about you ask?:

Twelve hours earlier, she was...

Now she's gone.

That’s it. That’s all you get!!
Ok, ok, I lied, that’s not ALL you get..

Here’s a little teaser:

Imagine that there’s something you’ve
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3 Stars*

For me, this was a middle-of-the-road psychological thriller with a twisty plot and enough back and forth structural-juggling to make make my head spin. (In a good way;)

I did enjoy—however, I wasn’t entirely pulled in or convinced, and I unfortunately felt this story was a bit hollow and consisted largely of dramatic build-up that yeilded a decent though not particularly gratifying finish.

But that’s just me, and sometimes I’m a weirdo. I loved All is Not Forgotten, and many readers are
Kaceey
I always love to approach my books by going in with blinders on!
In this case, that was a very good thing.
The publisher’s ‘blurb’ was purposely vague to draw in the reader. Well, it worked! I couldn’t wait to read this one, and I know I’m not the only one who had the same reaction!! If you’re looking for the next truly top-notch thriller, pull up your chair…You’ve found it!

Laura has a past, to say the least. One that all these years later, continues to haunt her...

It's one innocent evening out,
Meredith
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
“Part One--choose a man who can’t love you.
Part Two--reconstruct him into a man who will love you.
Part Three--make him love you by any means.”

Run of the mill psychological thriller about a blind date that goes awry.

The premise is intriguing.
Laura is getting ready to go out on a first date with a man named Jonathan she met on a dating website. Laura builds a fantasy around Jonathan and this date. She craves love, and as result, she has a tendency to fall for the wrong men. You see, Laura
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Updating to comment on that cover!!!

Ingenious, enthralling, & brisk!

When Brenda and I got the opportunity to do an early group read for Wendy Walker’s new book with our Traveling Sisters we were absolutely thrilled. Wendy Walker has quite a few fans in our Traveling Sisters group including myself.

If I were to give you one piece of advice while reading this book would be to put all your other books aside so you can totally be immersed in this tale. This book needs to be read without any
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
What a wild ride! I was totally gripped - The Night Before was such a page turner!

Laura is unlucky in love and haunted by a teenage tragedy that has defined her life. She always seems to choose the wrong men. Determined to give love (and herself) one more chance, Laura returns to her childhood suburb and joins an internet dating site. She has an immediate connection with one man from the site and decides to meet him for a blind date. Nervous and excited, Laura walks out of her sister Rosie's
Debra
This was such an addictive and gripping read that I could not put it down! I was glued to his book and read most of the book in one day. I just had to know what was going to happen next. Walker did not disappoint; the action was consistent and the twits and revelations came at the right intervals to keep me on the edge of my seat wanting more!

I love that the book blurb does not give a lot of information - just enough to pique the readers interest! This book is cleverly told through both Laura
Dita
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG...this book is so compulsively readable!

I just HAD to find out what happened to Laura!!

Rosie and Laura are sisters; Rosie is settled down with a great husband and a sweet son and Laura is a bit of a mess. She can't completely escape an association with a crime that happened in her childhood and she doesn't remember exactly how responsible she might be even though she was exonerated.

Her sister and friend group have always been fiercely protective of her so when she goes on a blind date and
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4.5 stars! UNPUTDOWNABLE!!

This was a fast-paced, tension-filled, edge-of-your-seat thrilling read! I couldn’t flip these pages fast enough! I absolutely love this author’s writing – it pulled me in from page one and kept me fully captivated and intrigued until the very end.

The blurb describing this novel doesn’t give much detail:

“Twelve hours earlier, she was...

Now she's gone.”

Knowing the caliber of this author’s writing, I knew I would be in for an intense and gripping
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
First of all I’d like to clarify that a 3* review from me means that the book was a “middle of the road” read for me, not bad but not one that is memorable or that I would necessarily recommend to others.

This book definitely is a page turner and a quick read, in fact the fewer times that you have to put the book down the better -- keeps the tension tighter that way.

The novel is told from three points of view, Laura the night before and present time, Rosie the night before and the present and
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
The Night Before is one of most original thrillers I’ve read, bar none. Full review for pub day today!

Rosie and Laura are sisters and total opposites in their personalities and ways of life. While Rosie has lived the expected life marrying her childhood sweetheart and having a child, Laura is single and has had a lifelong difficulty with anger. It was said as a child that she had fists for hands.

Laura experienced a trauma in her teen years that explains some of why her path has been a
Berit☀️✨
𝖂𝖊𝖓𝖉𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖑𝖐𝖊𝖗 𝖉𝖎𝖉 𝖎𝖙 𝖆𝖌𝖆𝖎𝖓

An addictive and compelling read that will suck you in from the very first page and will not let you go until the mind blowing end! Laura returns home to Connecticut after living in NYC for many years. Laura has a damaged heart. She is still getting over her last relationship and still scarred from things that happen when she was a teenager. Her sister Rosie is concerned, but happy when Laura finally goes out on a date for the first time in a long time. Happy that is
Katie B

I'm sitting here kinda stunned because the author somehow took a pretty basic premise and managed to tell a complex story that felt different and new. I won't go too much into the plot since the publisher hasn't revealed much here on Goodreads yet, but it is a dual timeline story featuring two sisters. Part of what sets this story apart from other books in the thriller or suspense genre is one of the sisters, Laura, isn't some one-note character, she's complicated. And that's why the
megs_bookrack
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars**

That's how you do, Wendy Walker.

Laura Lochner has always felt unlucky in love. After a recent devastating break-up with her mysterious NYC boyfriend, she decides to go back to her hometown to recover. Once there, she moves in with her sister Rosie and her family.

Spurred on more by boredom than anything else, Laura creates a profile on a popular dating site and begins corresponding with someone. Before too long, she decides to set up a date with him. She's got to get back into the
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Laura Lochner was left emotionally depleted by her last relationship. The breakup left her devastated and lacking closure after it ended abruptly. In an effort to move forward she decides to move back to Connecticut where she will live with her sister’s family. Rosie has always been there to support Laura and she was instrumental in guiding her through a tough adolescence.

Laura goes out one evening to meet a man she connected with on a dating site. When she doesn’t return, her sister and
JanB

This book is a prime example of what a psychological suspense thriller should be! By far, it’s my favorite thriller read so far this year.

The publisher blurb:

"Twelve hours earlier, she was...Hopeful. Excited. Safe. Now she's gone."

Now that is a perfect blurb! It’s best to go into this read with as little information as possible.

Laura goes on a date with a man she met on an online dating site and doesn’t return home. From there, the story alternates between the ‘night before’ chapters
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-thriller
Four so happy to find finally nail-biter, breathtaking, nightmare conjuring, anticipating book! We have a winner!

Laura moves back to her childhood town, stays with her sister’s family, heartbroken, dumped via text, trying to make changes in her life and goes on a date with a guy she found on a dating site. But after her date night, she doesn’t come back to home.

Interesting fact is : Her sister Rosie gets really scared. Not because of something bad happened to her sister but because of
Holly  B

A tense thriller with an explosive end!

Online dating can be dangerous and one must be careful. Laura is living with her sister Rosie while she heals from a recent break-up with her boyfriend. She finds an interesting guy on the sitefindlove.com,and she wants to meet up with him.

Her sister Rosie is on board with her dating, until she doesn't come home.....

All the tension and tidbits of hidden secrets kept me invested in the story line and wanting to know more about Laura. Told in Before and
Diane S ☔
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First I'd like to say how much I appreciate the blurb on this book, not much given way, just a short, effective teaser. So rare lately. Also enjoyed the format of this story, two narrators, sisters Rose and Laura, interspersed with sessions between Laura and a psychiatrist. It does go back and forth in time, but the chapters are clearly marked as to date. Easy to keep track of snd follow.

Laura, meets a man on the internet, after he last relationship left her devastated, this is the first time
Theresa Alan
I had such a different reaction to this book than the rest of my Goodreads friends. I thought it was slow-paced and definitely put-downable. I kept reading because I did want to know what happened to Laura and because of the rave reviews of others, but even when what I think were supposed to be big twists were revealed, I didn’t care.

The premise is that Laura, who has been angry and violent since she was a child, leaves the city and comes home to her sister, Rosie, and Rosie’s husband, Joe. Joe,
Liz
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I had not read any of Wendy Walker’s previous books but I had heard good things about them, so was thrilled to get this ARC.

The book starts off purposely vague. Laura has taken leave from her job as an analyst for a Wall Street firm, supposedly because of an extremely bad breakup. She’s returned to her hometown and is living with her sister, brother in law and nephew. One night she goes out on an Internet date and doesn’t come home. We know there’s something off about Laura and something we don
Christina - Traveling Sister
4.5 dark, compelling and twisty stars!!!

The Night Before by Wendy Walker has very little information out about it. I mean, just looking at the 5 lines that are the entire synopsis. All it tells you is that a girl is missing and we don't know why. With so little information going into this one, I wasn't sure what to expect - but I knew that I was immediately intrigued. Well, let me tell you - what follows is a twisting, layered and complicated story that in the end not only threw me for a loop
Holly
Unpopular opinion time: this was basically a book about the worst first date ever for a woman who is either a murderer or the most uncertain person to ever walk this earth.

This is an ARC so I don't want to give any spoilers that are not indicated in the blurb. But let's just say that we spend this entire book with Laura alternately fearing that her date with a guy she met on the internet is a lying psycho or fearing that she is just overthinking things and might miss out on dating a good guy and
Cindy Burnett
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Night Before takes on a timely and relevant topic and puts a twist on it. Laura Lochner has been unlucky in love and in life. Moving home with her sister Rosie and her family following an upsetting breakup, Laura decides to try an online dating website and heads out on a blind date. The next morning Rosie realizes that Laura never came home, and she begins to panic as she tries repeatedly to reach Laura and cannot. Alternating between Rosie and Laura and occasionally flashing back in time,
Felicia
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a read-in-one-sitting type of book. I think to set it aside for even a short time could ruin the tautness and unease Wendy Walker has masterfully created in this story.

I feel like I white-knuckled my way through this book like an addict needing a fix. I ate an entire bag of M&Ms, and I don't mean a single serving bag, I mean the giant bag with the red and green Christmas colors. So now not only do I have a headache caused by the tension in my neck, I'm pretty sure I'm heading for a
j e w e l s
THREE STARS

THE NIGHT BEFORE has a great premise and I was all set for a suspenseful read. Instead, it feels long and a bit boring.

It could just be me. I was not a big fan of Walker's previous hit, Emma in the Night, and this novel feels equally mehhhhhhhh. Walker writes in a dry style that makes it difficult to build an emotional attachment to any of the characters.

You will figure out what's going on easily by the 70% mark and then the last 30% is painfully slow. I've read so many interesting,
Linda
"I worry my soulmate is on a different dating site." (Unknown)

Laura Heart is leaving the city skyline of New York in her rearview mirror. Too many bad memories that just don't seem to heal. She's headed to the waiting arms of her older sister, Rosie, who still lives in the small Connecticut town that they grew up in. Rosie is married to Joe and has a young son, Mason. They live within walking distance of Gabe, another long-time friend from childhood. Still thick as thieves......

But Laura still
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect page count ISBN13: 9781250198679 2 11 Aug 29, 2019 04:03PM

• The First Mistake
  • Never Have I Ever
  • My Lovely Wife
  • The Last House Guest
  • The Other Mrs. Miller
Wendy Walker is a former attorney and investment banker in Fairfield County, Connecticut who began writing while at home raising her three sons. Her debut thriller, All Is Not Forgotten, has become an international bestseller, published in over 23 languages. Emma In The Night was published the following year and her next thriller, The Night Before, was just released and is on sale now!
“People could hide. And hide well. Even the people you love the most.” 0 likes
“Rosie stopped at the top of the stairs and let the memory play on. Cheep” 0 likes