Start by marking “The Clockwork Detective” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Detective

The Clockwork Detective

Aubrey Hartmann left the Imperial battlefields with a pocketful of medals, a fearsome reputation, and a clockwork leg.

The Imperium diverts her trip home to investigate the murder of a young druwyd in a strange town. She is ordered to not only find the killer but prevent a full-scale war with the dreaded Fae.

Meanwhile, the arrival of a sinister secret policeman threatens
Published May 7th 2019 by Ellysian Press

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clockwork Detective

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
This is a new series about Aubrey Hartman, female war hero, turned Constable, who is traveling home by air ship when she is stopped by the Imperium (the government) and tasked to solve the possible murder of a young druid and prevent an all-out war with the Fae if their involvement is suspected.

Reading this book made me realize I need to read Steampunk more often. I always enjoy the genre when I do. This series actually combines the fantasy, steampunk and mystery genres all together which was a
Dave
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Clockwork Detective is a steampunk fantasy mystery involving flying airships, an ornery but dedicated constable with a ⏰ Clockwork leg, palace intrigue, centaurs, and magic. The constable is a strong female character who a whole series might be built around. The centaurs are a most intriguing group, unyielding, terrifying, battle-hardened. As a reader, you feel that you barely got a glimpse into this fascinating world of far off kingdoms and fae creatures. The cover doesn’t really hint at th ...more
Christi M
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In the Clockwork Detective, we see Constable Aubrey temporarily assigned to the town of Aqualinne to help investigate the murder of a young druid that has recently occurred. While there she meets Constable Sterben and the two work together to help solve the case, which takes them into the nearby village of Sankt Andra and later into Fae territory.

Of this novel, I have two minds. During the first 45%, I didn't feel any connection to the story or to the characters. With each new character I held
Jodi Perkins
I've never read steampunk before, so this was a treat for me. From the first page it's clear that world-building is McCandless's superpower. Between the Haenlein, the developing city of Aqualinne, and the backwoods town of Sankt Andra, I felt immersed in a surreal fantasy world where old meets new. Likewise, McCandless does a fabulous job with character development. Though I did find Aubrey a little too perfect at times, she makes for a formidable protagonist--clever, levelheaded, and strong--wh ...more
Mike
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoy a young female protagonist, and even though this particular young female protagonist might as well be a man for most purposes, she's determined, competent, perceptive, and an excellent negotiator who thinks well in a dangerous situation - things we're shown rather than told, to the author's credit.

There's a mystery plot, which played out well, but also an underlying political plot which is part of a larger series arc. There are tense confrontations and powerful moments of action and mag
Lely Reads
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I jumped at the chance to preview a steampunk mystery and R.A. McCandless did not disappoint! McCandless writes an engaging, strong, LGBTQ+ heroine who is fearless, intelligent, and sassy. I look forward to reading more of Aubrey's adventures.
Equal parts mystery and steampunk, this book will satisfy a wide audience of readers. The cast was interesting and well-developed, and the well-paced action made this one difficult to put down.
Thank you to NetGalley and Ellysian Press for providing me with
Steve Sutherland
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Steampunk is not normally a genre I enjoy. Too often an author tries too hard to explain the science behind the world, leaving nothing to tell in the story.

This is not the case with The Clockwork Detective.

From the opening moment when Detective Aubrey Hartmann arrives by airship in the out of way town of Aqualinne, it is apparent this is a different than the "same old/same old". McCandless builds a believable world, populated with relate-able characters striving to unravel a seemingly insignifi
Connie
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Constable Aubrey Hartmann is a war hero with a reputation, she also has a clockwork leg. Aubrey is ordered to help a local policeman to investigate the murder of a young Druwyd in a strange town. But Aubrey has some powerful enemies who are out to stop her. I was really looking forward to reading this book but unfortunately it wasn't for me.. Sorry.
Ross Johnson
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow.
I didn't know what to expect, and what I received is a whirlwind of characters and events.
I bought this book as it combines fantasy with steam-punk and some amazing detective work.
We have a powerful war hero as the main character - and whilst she is looking forward to a comfortable anonymous job in the big city, fate - and the empire - intervene.
Humans, Fae, Hybrids, Royalty, blunderbuss's - this has something for everyone!
Magic
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
R.A. McCandless has once again created a compelling, strong, female lead character, this time in an imaginative steam punk world. Constable Aubrey Hartmann, the titular Clockwork Detective is a richly written, many faceted hero, and I look forward eagerly to her further adventures. And, she has a sword cane; what more could you want out of a book?
Aileen  (Ailz) Grist
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what I expected from this book, but a mixture of the Wild West and Celtic Myths wasn't it. It has both futuristic and past features. The Clockwork Detective is a police woman with an uncomfortable false leg due to losing her real one to a cannonball. She has to solve a murder which may be at the hands of the Fae, and which could cause a war.

I hope there will be more books in the series.
Eric Lahti
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s a great fusion of two disparate genres handled with the deft touch of a master who really believes in what he’s doing. That belief shines through in a text that draws you in and keeps you in its world even after you close the book. Well-written, engaging, and flat-out fun to read. This is a perfect summer book that doesn’t shirk its responsibility of taking the reader to new places and letting them wander around in a fleshed out world.

You can read the whole review on my blog. Or just eschew
R.A. McCandless
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
***************************************

From JAMES P. BLAYLOCK, World Fantasy Award-Winning Author, and Co-Founder of the Modern Steampunk Genre

“This is my kind of book: A wonderful, fully-realized, utterly plausible steampunk world with a dynamite plot, great characters, and the best dirigibles this side of anywhere. I hope there’s more to come.”

***************************************
Lori
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk, kindle
Aubrey Hartmann may have survived the battlefield, earning commendations as well as a clockwork leg, but her next challenge, solving the murder of a young druwyd in an unusual small town may be her undoing. Initially content to help the local detective, she soon realizes there is more to the death than first suspected, and a possible war with the Fae may erupt if she isn't careful. A secret policeman following her is the least of her troubles as she faces off against vicious villains, serious ce ...more
Joanne Wood
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The usual caveat applies - Netgalley, free copy, blah blah.
I must admit I was a little surprised by this book. It really sounds like the author has chucked everything but the kitchen sink in, given it a stir, and hoped for the best. There's obvious steampunk (clockwork leg, airships, all the usual suspects), mythical beings in the form of centaurs of the Fae, druids, and a whodunnit!

It really should be a hot mess.

But, somehow, against all odds, it's really quite engaging. It clips along at a go
Emris Lindsay
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A complex but interesting read, steampunk with LGBT isn’t much on my menu, just not my cuppa tea. That doesn’t mean it’s not interesting, I know there are others who love this sort of tale out there and would enjoy it.
Maer
Anna Szabó
Apr 26, 2019
David A.
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a genre-busting delight: just when you've stopped marveling at Hartman's ingenious clockwork leg (I can see a cosplay must-have accessory for 2020 here), there's all kinds of magic and marvels to content with. If someone doesn't demand a few sequels then make this into a movie, I'll eat my steampunk hat.
Andrea
Kaitlin Setty
Jun 01, 2019
Julie
Jun 06, 2019
RABT Book Tours: The Clockwork Detective by R.A. McCandless 1 2 May 07, 2019 04:57AM
R.A. McCandless has been a writer both professionally and creatively for nearly two decades. He was born under a wandering star that led him to a degree in Communication and English with a focus on creative writing.

He is the author of the steampunk book THE CLOCKWORK DETECTIVE and urban fantasy TEARS OF HEAVEN and HELL BECOMES HER, short stories "And Into A Watery Grave" in In Shambles, "Grenadie