Start by marking “Weak Heart” as Want to Read:
Weak Heart

Weak Heart

Something has gone very wrong on the sleepy Scottish Isle of Mab. The tides are angry. Reality has shifted. Selkies are coming up from the ocean, boys are missing, magic is going haywire, and memories are being pulled from people’s minds.

Thomas Madigan is living in a nightmare.
Isla just wants to go back to the sea.
Kit Macrae thinks he’s drowning.
Tanis Hughes needs to feed.

To ask other readers questions about Weak Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weak Heart

Ban Gilmartin
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I've heard this is good.
Arry
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jeska
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting—I couldn’t put it down.

What a fantastic debut.
havr29
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Everything -- from the characters to the setting to the mystery and humor -- was just spot on. The book has two main narrators: Thomas and Isla, but it switches every so often to other characters to let them steer for a chapter, and those are some of the strongest chapters in here, I think.

[NOTE: Spoilery review below]
Narrator 1, Thomas, is a magician. He's not very good at it but he's not very bad either, but his magic is secondary to the fact that he lives with constant nigh
Sharon
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars!

Everything you could possibly want in a book? Weak Heart has it.

Magic? Check.

Mystery? Check.

Romance? DOUBLE CHECK.

Representation? SO MANY CHECKS.

Meet Thomas. He's had strange visions for years, but they’ve gotten worse recently, bleeding into reality until he doesn’t know which is which, paralyzing him with the accompanying migraines. Having tried solutions from therapy to exorcism, all to no avail, Thomas is on the brink of leaving for America to search out a cure when a stranger ban
Megan Haaga
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Literally feels like I've been waiting my whole life for a book like this - perfect blend of fantasy and Emotions and gayness. I immediately fell in love with every main character bc they're all amazing. Somehow even though it ends happily, finishing the book made me burst into tears lmao. Everyone go read this immediately no questions just do it!!
Olivia
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the best books I’ve read in a while; I couldn’t put it down!
Lily Hill
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My only companion when I was suffering from a horrible cold, an absolute fantastic read, I've been following Ban for a little over a year and I've loved everything she's written. and this is no exception! big ups.
Lea
Shelves: favorites, lgbt
Everything about this book was amazing, the characters and their dynamics with each other, the emotions, the plot twists. I absolutely loved the mixture of mystery and fantasy elements.
Cecelia
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been trying (and failing) to read more diverse genres this year, because I was feeling disillusioned with all of the YA I was reading. All of the stories felt the same. I didn't feel like I was learning anything.

But this book! This book is all the best parts of YA fiction, and is the future of the genre to me. I love scrappy young characters doing their best. I love queer MCs. I love mlm/wlw solidarity. I love regional mythology.

I really enjoyed the the narrative and how the mystery unfold
Megan
Shelves: 2019
I have never reviewed a book before because words terrify me but I have to just put this here:

This book beyond lived up to expectations; it pried into my soul within the first chapter, and I don't think it's leaving anytime soon. It paired melancholy and grief and with banter and life to create a haunting beauty. Every bit had me grinning like a maniac or on the edge of sobbing—or sometimes both at once, which was confoundingly glorious.

Not to be dramatic, but Ban is a goddess and this is ever
Avery
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Read for the 2019 Read Harder challenge, task 23: a self published book.)

An ethnically diverse cast of queer twenty somethings, Scottish slang, several descriptions of comfort food, and SELKIES, y'all. It feels like this book was tailor made for me.

This story has so much heart. It has so much to say about finding connection, and the subtle but significant ways in which love (familial, friendly, romantic) can change you. I'm sure I'll return to it soon.
Cyra
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so beautiful and atmospheric. The story isn't intensely complicated, but you feel all the stress and frustration of the characters, and the danger, and you get such clear visual pictures of the caves and the island and the monsters. Well worth the money, I think I would have paid three times as much, even with a free version out there.
Pilar
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love everything about it, from the characters to the pacing and the narration and like all
Marie
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, lgbtq
wow, i loved this book so so much. i think it might be one of my all time favourites
Amelia Rogers
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible! Highly recommend! Great debut.
Filippa Vittrup
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me holding my breath and gnawing at my nails. It's absolutely brilliant.
Mery
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would give this 10/5 if I could, it ticks so many of my boxes.
Paul
Amy Morris
May 18, 2019
Mimi
Aug 06, 2019
“I don't know why he finds it funny that I want to take care of people. Someone has to. Everyone I love is a walking wreck.” 1 likes
“What's wrong with just liking someone? What's wrong with wanting to have someone? I don't get why we're supposed to pretend that we don't need intimacy and companionship in our lives.” 1 likes