Start by marking “Weak Heart” as Want to Read:
Weak Heart

Weak Heart

Something has gone very wrong on the sleepy Scottish Isle of Mab. The tides are angry. Reality has shifted. Selkies are coming up from the ocean, boys are missing, magic is going haywire, and memories are being pulled from people’s minds.

Thomas Madigan is living in a nightmare.
Isla just wants to go back to the sea.
Kit Macrae thinks he’s drowning.
Tanis Hughes needs to feed.

To ask other readers questions about Weak Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weak Heart

Start your review of Weak Heart
Ban Gilmartin
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I've heard this is good.
Lex
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
Shouldn't have read this when I'm legally banned from going to the sea because I'd like to go there now and throw myself in and do a blood ritual
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: mlm mc with anxiety, Filipino mlm li, wlw mc, Black lesbian li, hijabi side character, Black side character, nonbinary side character
tw: magic requiring self-harm, gore, blood, drowning

i love thomas, my most dramatic son, and also his actual hungarian name (tamás) isn't hard to pronounce, it basically only differs in the last sound & the accent, thanks for coming to my ted talk
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
im begging u to read this book,

Rep: gay mc with anxiety, Filipino gay mc, Black lesbian mc, lesbian mc, hijabi side character, Black side character, nonbinary side character

CWs: magic requiring self-harm, some gore
Arry
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Megan H
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Literally feels like I've been waiting my whole life for a book like this - perfect blend of fantasy and Emotions and gayness. I immediately fell in love with every main character bc they're all amazing. Somehow even though it ends happily, finishing the book made me burst into tears lmao. Everyone go read this immediately no questions just do it!!
Jeska
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting—I couldn’t put it down.

What a fantastic debut.
Isabel ✰
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabel ✰ by: charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
Shelves: g-fantasy, q-mc, q-mm
I cannot believe the stunning lack of hype this book has.

The haunted atmosphere? The folklore? The characters? The family of it all?

Truly excellent.

4.5★
Sharon
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars!

Everything you could possibly want in a book? Weak Heart has it.

Magic? Check.

Mystery? Check.

Romance? DOUBLE CHECK.

Representation? SO MANY CHECKS.

Meet Thomas. He's had strange visions for years, but they’ve gotten worse recently, bleeding into reality until he doesn’t know which is which, paralyzing him with the accompanying migraines. Having tried solutions from therapy to exorcism, all to no avail, Thomas is on the brink of leaving for America to search out a cure when a strang
Lily Hill
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My only companion when I was suffering from a horrible cold, an absolute fantastic read, I've been following Ban for a little over a year and I've loved everything she's written. and this is no exception! big ups.
Olivia
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the best books I’ve read in a while; I couldn’t put it down!
Lea
Shelves: favorites, lgbt
Everything about this book was amazing, the characters and their dynamics with each other, the emotions, the plot twists. I absolutely loved the mixture of mystery and fantasy elements.
Mery
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would give this 10/5 if I could, it ticks so many of my boxes.
Nini
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I wouldn't give it anything under 5 stars to be honest. I got intrigued by it directly after the first pages, such a good way to start the book and get us hooked quickly. The characterization is amazing, every single character feels so alive and their dynamics are great in different ways. Ban Gilmartin has such a beautiful way to bring you into a story and keep you there, wanting more and digging the little details spread everywhere. These details made me picture everything so clearly and I felt ...more
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in two days, which is amazing considering I’ve been having issues reading during quarantine. I found out about Ban Gilmartin from reading fanfic. Really great fanfic!

Weak Heart has things I love like mystery, supernatural things, close friendships, and a vivid setting. I’d love to read more about these characters. I’ll be thinking of them I’m sure.
Kelsey

You can also find me on Youtube & Twitter
Madison Musselman
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club-ideas
This was an amazing novel. Well written and entertaining! I binge read over half of it in one sitting to finish because I couldn’t put it down. Read it, it’s definitely worth it.
Liv Velez-Benenson
4.5/5. This was a great book especially considering it was independently published. The setting is so well described you feel like you are there (and it's creepy!). Interesting and original story.
magicalagenda
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kazimir
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book, I cried. 10/10 will read again.
Cecelia
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been trying (and failing) to read more diverse genres this year, because I was feeling disillusioned with all of the YA I was reading. All of the stories felt the same. I didn't feel like I was learning anything.

But this book! This book is all the best parts of YA fiction, and is the future of the genre to me. I love scrappy young characters doing their best. I love queer MCs. I love mlm/wlw solidarity. I love regional mythology.

I really enjoyed the the narrative and how the mystery unfold
Megan
Shelves: 2019
I have never reviewed a book before because words terrify me but I have to just put this here:

This book beyond lived up to expectations; it pried into my soul within the first chapter, and I don't think it's leaving anytime soon. It paired melancholy and grief and with banter and life to create a haunting beauty. Every bit had me grinning like a maniac or on the edge of sobbing—or sometimes both at once, which was confoundingly glorious.

Not to be dramatic, but Ban is a goddess and this is ever
Avery
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Read for the 2019 Read Harder challenge, task 23: a self published book.)

An ethnically diverse cast of queer twenty somethings, Scottish slang, several descriptions of comfort food, and SELKIES, y'all. It feels like this book was tailor made for me.

This story has so much heart. It has so much to say about finding connection, and the subtle but significant ways in which love (familial, friendly, romantic) can change you. I'm sure I'll return to it soon.
Cyra
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so beautiful and atmospheric. The story isn't intensely complicated, but you feel all the stress and frustration of the characters, and the danger, and you get such clear visual pictures of the caves and the island and the monsters. Well worth the money, I think I would have paid three times as much, even with a free version out there.
Amy
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible. The relationships and characters were the realist I’ve probably ever seen in a book, and they were all perfectly interwoven into a beautiful, fantastical plot which made me unable to put the book down. Fantastic read, would highly recommend to anyone willing to get entangled in the mess of these perfect chapters and love this book as much as I do ❤️
Me-La-Dy
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A masterfully written story full of mystic creatures, horrific visions, mind manipulation, affection, life changing decisions, and more. Absolutely worth reading for every lover of fantastic worlds!
Filippa Vittrup
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me holding my breath and gnawing at my nails. It's absolutely brilliant.
Pilar
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love everything about it, from the characters to the pacing and the narration and like all
Amelia Rogers
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible! Highly recommend! Great debut.

• Boyfriend Material
  • Rebel Rebel (Rebelverse, #1)
  • I Was Born for This
  • Solitaire
  • Felix Ever After
  • The Gracekeepers
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Nick and Charlie
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • Camp
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
  • Young Avengers
  • The Lost Future of Pepperharrow (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #2)
  • Love, Creekwood (Simonverse, #3.5)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Los Nefilim (Los Nefilim #1-3)
Ban Gilmartin is the author of WEAK HEART (2019) and THERE IS A LIGHT (2020).