Start by marking “Rogue (Hive #2)” as Want to Read:
Rogue (Hive #2)

Rogue

(Hive #2)

There was no going back; there was no choice, anymore. I'd chosen out and this was it: hot-cold, dry-wet, bright-dark and lonely.

Hayley has gone rogue.

She's left everything she's ever known - her friends, her bees, her whole world - all because her curiosity was too big to fit within the walls of the underwater home she was forced to flee.

But what is this new world she's c
Published June 25th 2019 by Pan Australia (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rogue

Start your review of Rogue (Hive #2)
Veronica ⭐️
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
“I’d chosen out and this was it: hot-cold, dry-wet, bright-dark and lonely.”

Book 1 Hive ends with Hayley escaping her underwater world built with hexagonal rooms connecting like a bee hive.

In Rogue Hayley emerges into a new dystopian world. It is 2119, the ocean has risen cutting off small land masses turning them into islands. She comes ashore on a small island situated east of Tasmania, now called Terrafirma. Hayley is taken in by the caretakers of the
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Rogue: The Vault Book 2, is a 2019 Pan Macmillan publication, written by Perth based author A.J. Betts. Rogue is the sequel to Hive, which was released last year. A thrilling, creative and imaginative young adult novel, Rogue completely immerses the reader in a brave new world. Rogue is an essential read for those who have previously enjoyed Hive, as it offers a propulsive conclusion to the Vault series.

Rogue follows the intriguing story of Hayley, who is fr
Calzean
The second and final part of this two book series. The main character Hayley finds herself out of her underwater world and lands on Maria Island off the coast of Tasmania. She grapples with her new world of seeing the ocean, sun, stars, animals and a very different set of people to deal with. The truth behind her underwater world is revealed and the new world shows its not that nice.
This didn't grab me as much as the first book Hive with the parallel of having Tasmania being used as a haven for
Zitong Ren
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
“I wasn’t a gardener anymore. I wasn’t the keeper of bees. I wasn’t a friend to Celia or the ally of a boy whom I shared secrets.
I understood that I no longer belonged to that place. But nor did I belong to this one.
I was just a girl, lost between worlds.”

Probably closer to a 3.5 but I definitely liked this much more than book one.

Following book 1, we finally get to see more of the world than just the ‘Hive’ part of it, where we follow the main protagonist Hayley which was truly enlightening as
Madison
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rogue is the second book in the two book dystopian series, The Vault. As the follow-up to Hive, Rogue took the world of Hive and blew it wide open. With the same curious and ever-searching main character and even more incredible descriptions of the surrounding landscape, Rogue gives readers and Hayley the answers they were searching for in book one.

Hayley had so many questions and when the son gave her the option to leave her confined life behind and explore what else was out there, she took it.
Luce
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very kindly sent a copy of Rogue and its predecessor Hive courtesy of Pan Macmillan and AusYABloggers, so thank you very much, and thank you for selecting me for this tour. If you would like to check out the other reviews, you can find them all linked here.

I was not obligated to review Hive but I’m going to anyway. However, this review will be free of spoilers, bar a couple of minor ones.

Hive follows a girl called Hayley, who is born into a contained world, made up of nine “houses,” hexag
Nadia King
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I read Hive last year, I couldn’t see how there could be a sequel. Plus, I’m not a big fan of series and I enjoy a little mystery at the end of a story so I wasn’t sure if I would read Rogue. But I did and what a perfect sequel!

In Hive we learn the story of Hayley and discover she is living in a vault under the ocean. Her world has definable limits and her society’s language reflects the world in which they live and nothing more. Hayley is curious and wants to know more than just the bees s
Blue
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Rogue was better than Hive but I still felt as though it was missing a fair bit.
For instance the action or something? It was really drawn out with Hayley doing small and meaningless tasks. If these tasks were taken out of the book, it would be a whole lot more interesting and not so drawn out. By drawing it out it took value away from the story and the character development.
I do love that that this book is based in Australia. There honestly is not enough books based in Australia. And out of all
Theresa Smith
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Last year I read Hive, the first novel by A.J. Betts in her two part dystopian YA series about a community who live in a hexagonal world. At the end of Hive, Hayley, our protagonist, was aided in her escape from the only world she’d ever known and propelled out into the ocean. At the time of reading Hive, I expressed the opinion that I wished this story was one bigger novel instead of two smaller ones released a year apart. Now after having read Rogue, I stand by this opinion. I really do think ...more
Greenglasses
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
This book take an unexpected turn for me from the other book. I enjoyed it but I think it moved on very fast. Hayley met many new characters but I didn't think she stayed long enough and most of them remained just names for me.
Suzie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great part-two'er which had lots of action, intrigue and adventure. Really enjoyed this duology.
Simone
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This duology is stunning. It's such a grueling and frustrating journey at times but the payoff is worth it. And it's great to have more hopeful cli-fi. Love it. Love this follow up.
Clare Snow
This week is the online book tour for Rogue by A.J. Betts, the second book in the HIVE series. Read Hive now if you haven't already.

Thanks Pan Macmillan Australia and #AusYABloggers for providing an ARC so I can join the tour and write an honest review.

***This has spoilers from Book 1***

After Hayley left her sheltered life in Hive, she surfaces in a world unlike anything she's known. Water stretching to infinity. The ceiling a dome higher than anything Hayley could imagine. During the day a sear
Janelle Dazzlepants

When a dystopian is set in a confined environment, there’s a 50/50 chance that the sequel will suck. Sometimes the mystery and magic is just inexplicably lost once the characters escape their confines. I’m happy to report that this wasn’t the case with Rogue and I really liked it!

I LOVED how Aussie this was! It’s so atmospheric and I really felt transported to the Tasmanian bushland. You can practically feel the sun on your skin, smell the saltwater, and hear the birds cawing in the trees. After
Jessica M
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it

Rogue is the second and final book in the Vault series by Australian author A.J. Betts. Vault is a dystopian YA series about a young girl — Hayley — who lives in an enclosed vault with a large community and her curiosity leads her to the discovery that they’re in fact living underwater.

Rogue picks up exactly where Hive left off — Hayley travels up in the pod and arrives on land. She has no idea where she is, or even what this place is. Over the course of the novel, you fi
Siobhan Bejr
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The_bibliosmaniac
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I was lucky enough to be selected to review ROGUE by AJ Betts as part of the AusYABloggers book tour, special thanks to #macmillanaus for the ARC.

ROGUE is the sequel/follow up to HIVE and continues on the adventure of Hayley. AJ Betts has created a futuristic world that really intrigued me and captured my imagination right from the beginning. Whilst the story is set in the future, it is only a few generations away from the present, making is seem like a realistic possibility for what the world c
Claire
3.5**** I was really looking forward to Rogue because I absolutely loved Hive. But this one didn’t quite meet my expectations. There were parts where I was completely absorbed and parts where I felt it dragged. It was a good follow up because I really wanted to know what was up there and I really liked the ending. I think it would have been better either combining the two books into one or not having a huge 12-month gap between them. Overall a good read, but nowhere near as good as Hive.

Trisha
Strong follow up to HIVE. Satisfying resolution.

Review to come.
Brooklyn Tayla
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come upon Australian Publication Date - 25th June! A big thank you to Pan Macmillan Australia for providing me with a copy of this book to review.
ClaireEva
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maybe more 3.75?
Mackenzie Stolp
Dec 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really couldn't handle this book. It was such a let down after the build up of the first - not that I particularly enjoyed that one. Nothing really happened, everything felt unplanned, the story did not flow well at all, characters were boring and 2 dimensional. Really sad to say I did not enjoy this book, not even being set in Tasmania could rescue it!
Selina Anne
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What else can I say but WOW! When I picked up Hive I was in love, but Rogue... I love the way the story is written and the storyline, especially the adventure and everything Hayley goes through. A.J Betts has done an amazing job with this book and I will definetly be going to buy her other books too.
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Firstly, I want to say a huge thank you to the teams at MacMillan Australia and Ya BookBloggers for sending me a review copy of this title. I have loved being able to read a book in this setting!

As you can see, I only gave this title three stars. For me, it felt a little everywhere but also as though something was missing. The negatives first: I felt as though we spent the whole book following Hayley around, doing menial tasks, she didn't learn very much and her character develpment during this
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Rogue by A.J. Betts is the conclusion to this duology that began with Hive. I can't say too much about this book without spoiling the ending of Hive for those who may not have read it yet, so this review will be brief.

The dystopian aspect of the story ramped up in Rogue and we learned more about the establishment of Hayley's original home. The author did a great job imagining a dystopian Australian future and painted a worrying picture for the reader.

Hayley continues to adapt quickly to her surr
Gill
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So great!

Full review here: https://www.gillyreads.com/review-rog...
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Sarah Fairbairn
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished the last page of Hive, made a fresh cup of tea and started reading Rogue, so for me it was one 618-page epic dystopian Australian story. I loved it.

Their life. Their world. Their people’s history a fabricated hive of lies.

Hayley is out. Free from the Hive, but not from danger.

Hayley meets new people as she explores this whole other part to the world that she never knew existed. Some people are kind and take her in and help her, not all of them are what they seem, and some are only out
Katie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rogue picks up exactly where Hive left off, with Hayley washed up on the shores of a seemingly deserted island somewhere off the coast of Australia. We follow our favourite curious soul as she tries to make sense of an inhospitable world that is incredibly technologically advanced. Hayley continues to face the world with a trepidation and generosity that keeps her in place as one of my favourite protagonists. As with Hive, I can’t tell you much about the plot because there will definitely be spo ...more
Jem
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I might love this one better than the first book! I thoroughly enjoyed this one, I wish there was more. 😅 AJ has continued to build the dystopian world she created in book 1 and has done an incredible job with it. She has woven many climate change issues, immigration issues and advancements in technology into the story beautifully and explored what could quite possibly happen to the world in the future. I loved the main location of where this book is set and AJ desribes it wonderfully an ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• You Were Made For Me
  • The Dark Tide
  • Invisible Boys
  • The Dog Runner
  • The Other Side of the Sky (The Other Side of the Sky, #1)
I'm a Perth-based writer who writes realistic fiction for teenagers (14+) but adults enjoy them too. I'm also an English teacher, poet, writer of non-fiction texts, presenter and reader.

Hive (2 books)