Start by marking “The Little Guys” as Want to Read:
The Little Guys

The Little Guys

An adorable cautionary tale from Caldecott Honoree Vera Brosgol

We are the Little Guys.
Yes, we are small. But there are a lot of us.
Together we are strong, and we can get all we need.

The Little Guys might be small, but they aim to be mighty.

As they head off to find breakfast, they can conquer anything through teamwork—cross deep waters, dig through obstacles, and c

Published April 2nd 2019 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Little Guys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Guys

Tatiana
These little guys are greedy bullies, and the story never addresses this fact. Even my 6-year old knew something was very wrong with this whole thing.

Beautiful illustrations, as always, from Vera Brosgol.
Abigail
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vera Brosgol Fans / Readers Looking for New Picture-Books About Teamwork & Community
Author/artist Vera Brosgol, who was awarded a Caldecott Honor for her picture-book, Leave Me Alone! , returns to the form in this new title. The eponymous Little Guys in this cautionary tale relate how they meet the challenges of life in the forest, working together to do big things, from lifting massive objects out of their way to finding enough food to feed themselves. But when they become greedy, and want everything they see, they find themselves taking a fall. With the help of the other for ...more
KC
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Um. Not sure what I just read. Not what I expected... AT. ALL. Loved the illustrations but it appeared that these acorns were bullies and thieves. Two stars because of the artwork.
La Coccinelle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Sorry, but I don't get it. The Little Guys are a bunch of greedy parasites who destroy the homes of the rest of the woodland creatures in their attempt to amass everything. When they go too far, the rest of the creatures help them. It makes no sense. It would be like someone treating their termites as pets and feeding them their prized rocking chair. When a bunch of tiny, unstoppable creatures threatens your own existence, you don't stop to help them; you call a freaking exterminator.

I don't eve
Chance Lee
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Brosgol's newest picture book is about a horde of tiny little sentient acorns who take everything they can in the forest, even if it means beating up bears to do it. The greedy little bastards demonstrate the dangers of mob mentality. When they try to take too much, they lose it all and realize the error of their ways. The animals they stole from end up helping them.

The Little Guys' mindset makes a 180 so fast I didn't understand why or how they changed their minuscule minds, making the happy a
Laura Harrison
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Great illustrations.
Mitchell
Odd little over-achieving forest creatures are basically bullies. Until their food pile and them end up everywhere and need rescuing. Yeah, whatever. Color me disappointed, I expected better. Writing was repetitive, art was okay.
Effie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this humorous story the little guys show their strength in numbers, but absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yes, their behavior is bad, but I like a picture book that generates discussion so I think there's something good here.
ℛ a ℂ ℎ ℯ ℓ ♥️
Sooo......This is one of those wtf moments where I read something and I literally could not even find one thing to like about this other than the illustrations. These little brats go around stealing animals food and messing things up so they can get to said food. They act like the seagulls in finding nemo except less cute or friendly.

The whole book they just steal and talk about how great they are. They talk about being able to beat up bigger animals. And they keep chanting "We are the little gu
Woolsoup
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was so excited for her new book. The illustrations are delightful. Extremely disappointed at the message that beating up perceived threats is a mighty thing to do. I’m not sure what their problem was with the bear at the river minding its own business catching fish. It could have been so much better if they found a way to work together to get the fish from the bear in more kind way. As I read the book out loud & got to the double spread page where it needs to be rotated 90° one of the kids a ...more
Raven Black
People are going to LOVE this book. It is about being greedy and learning how to be happy with what you have, but also how to be kind and share. The story has been done before, there are no surprises. However, the art was fun to look at and follow the story with.
Racheal
Ouch, I normally love Vera Brosgol's books but this was a dud for me. I was confused as to who "the little guys" were supposed to be, and the theme (greed backfires, it's better to share) has been done hundred times over to better effect. Cute pictures on nice, matte paper, though..
Emily
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddo-books
The Little Guys live on an Island in the middle of the stream in the middle of the forest. As long of this band of acorn wearing little guys stick together they can do anything, even though they are small. A totally enjoyable book about teamwork.
Kathy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
Simple words, where the pictures tell a lot of the story with some fairly complex ideas, make this appropriate for early readers. Ideas of fairness, and helping others, and greed should gnerate lots of discussion opportunities for preschoolers and their adult readers.
Emily
teamwork, being small you can accomplish big things together, but don't be greedy!
paula
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100 hearts for this entertaining parable! And for Vera’s gorgeous saturated watercolors and adorable creatures.
Jason
Now that was interesting! I wasn't expecting it to go the direction it did. It starts off with a "we're little, but together we are strong" motif, which is fairly standard. But then it gets suddenly intense with the little guys using their unified strength to harass the animals of the forest and take most of resources. This is NOT something you typically see in picture books. Of course, their greed leads to their downfall and they learn a valuable lesson about not abusing their power. I feel lik ...more
Tina
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wonder-years
I'm not 100% sure the message in this is exactly what we should take from it? It is a nicely illustrated work. "The Little Guys" show how working together to accomplish much with being so little is important. However, what comes across slightly is that "The Little Guys" seem to be greedy and want too much, until they suffer a fall. They get back up again...however, the message here seems a little too much about the world as it is and not as much as what we would like our youngest to become. Mayb ...more
Tasha
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The Little Guys are very small but when they work together they can do almost anything! Using leaves to float, they cross deep water. In the big forest, they hold hands to stay together and keep from being afraid. They find berries and form a stack to reach them. But as they continue their search for more and more food, they start using their combined strength in a way that upsets the rest of the forest. Chipmunks go flying, owls get forced out of their nests, and they even beat up a bear! Soon ...more
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review first published on my blog, Nine Pages .

I read an advanced reader copy of this book, which comes out April 2. This is a story about sharing. The Little Guys are tiny creatures like acorns with stick person legs and arms and bulbous, orange noses that travel in a pack. The pack makes them mighty. They are unstoppable through the power of teamwork, able to cross dangerous terrains and “beat up” any animal that they encounter. On their quest to find breakfast, they steal and hoard the fores
Barbara
I'm not sure how I feel about this picture book. I get the idea of it, I think, that there is strength in numbers but also danger in group think and too much power. But I didn't quite get what would change in these little guys to make them reach out to the other forest creatures and behave generously at the end. Maybe children will relate to the book with its illustrations, created with dip pen, acrylic ink, and watercolor with some Adobe Photoshop assistance, better than I did. The little guys ...more
Jim
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L.A. Shine
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This picture book was so adorable! It’s illustrations are simple but cute, I’m not 100% sure what “The Little Guys” represented, to me they looked like tiny mushrooms with big noses which I feel was the purpose but unsure. I still loved how they were drawn though.

Everything else was drawn spot on with a little cartoonish vibe.

The store was cute but also had something to teach. If anyone is looking for a new cute picture book I would definitely
Linda
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great illustrations, the characters and story are interesting, but I’m not quite sure what the point is. Teamwork? Yes. But, as a team, they are bulldozing bullies. Greed? Yep, they are greedy, and steal and plunder from all the other animals. Strength and unity? Yes, but again, their strength becomes their (literal) downfall. Is this about strength, unity, and teamwork devolving into mob mentality? Possibly. The Little Guys do share at the end, but it seems a rather small act for the rampaging ...more
Mary
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positive: The "little guys" in the story show that by working together they can accomplish big things. Do they represent bacteria? Children? The proletariat? The outcasts of society? Perhaps the ambiguity is part of the author's intent.
Negative: The little guys are not likable. They engage in unkind behavior toward other members of their community. And they are greedy. The creatures they originally bullied come their rescue when the little guys get into trouble.
Simple text and cartoon-like ill
Roben
The little acorn topped characters in this book acknowledge that they are, indeed, little. But they work together so they can accomplish great things. Unfortunately, this leads them to become bossy bullies - taking things from other animals just because they can. This eventually leads to their - literal - downfall. The other animals in the forest seem to forgive the little guys for letting their excitement and greed get out of control - and the book seems to end on a hopeful note. The illustrati ...more
Erica
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
emyrose8
Vicki
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
A wonderful story set in the forest The little guys seem to be the strongest, the best and work well in a group. But at some point it all comes crashing down, maybe they don’t always need to be the best and perhaps a bit more kind.

Fun illustrations, be sure to check out the hidden book cover.

This could create a great conversation about kindness and imagination-cause just who/what are the little guys?
Juliana Lee
The Little Guys build confidence in themselves as they grow in numbers. Soon there are so many they can remove obstacles, beat up the big guys, and take all the resources because they can. Soon their community collapses because of greed and they are rescued by the big guys. Now they understand that they still have everything they need and enough to share.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Vera Brosgol was born in Moscow, Russia in 1984 and moved to the United States when she was five. She received a diploma in Classical Animation from Sheridan College, and currently works at Laika Inc. in Portland, Oregon drawing storyboards for feature animation.

She has done illustration work for clients such as Nickelodeon, Sony Computer Entertainment, and Simon & Schuster. Her first graphic