Start by marking “The Dead Girl's Stilettos (A Bexley Squires Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Girl's Stilettos (A Bexley Squires Mystery #1)

The Dead Girl's Stilettos

(A Bexley Squires Mystery #1)

After a Jane Doe is murdered in journalist Bexley Squires's hometown, she's hired by one of Hollywood’s brightest stars to clear his name as a suspect. But her skills as an amateur sleuth weren’t enough to find her missing sister. Does she have what it takes to find a killer?

When she returns to California, she discovers the elite seaside community of Papaya Springs has bec
Published April 2nd 2019 (first published March 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Girl's Stilettos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Girl's Stilettos

Start your review of The Dead Girl's Stilettos (A Bexley Squires Mystery #1)
InD'tale Magazine
Already a compelling mystery, Ms. Villarreal brings the story to even higher heights.

Read full review in the 2019 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Bridget
Wow, what a wonderful thriller! This was a fabulous début novel by Quinn Avery. The main character, Bexley, was very engaging and a little quirky and I loved the way the author was able to balance the mystery with the supporting characters so well, even adding a comedic element to the story.

In “The Dead Girl’s Stilettos” I thought the pacing was good and it was rich with action, twists and turns.

I highly recommend this perfect and very solid début thriller which is definitely worthy of its five
Kate_mrs539
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb debut story from new author Quinn Avery! Reminiscent of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, Bexley Squires will be a reader favorite with her mad mystery solving skills, fearless personality and endless wit!

What teases at being an ongoing series, Bexley Squires is surrounded by some amazing characters that I hope follow her from story to story!

In this particular story we follow Bexley to sunny SoCal as she is offered the opportunity to clear a suspect of false claims, and what better way to
Anissa
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of romantic suspense
Recommended to Anissa by: netgalley
The stilettos of the title are gold with diamond heels and are the main clue that Bex Squires has to solve the case and exonerate the man who's hired her, Dean Halliwell. She's still got a bit of name recognition from her last investigative report that garnered her national attention but her funds are running low when she gets a call to help mega-star Dean in her tony, old home town of Papaya Springs, CA. This is right up her alley as she also wants to track down her troubled, missing younger si ...more
Tracy Broemmer
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Move over, fictional amateur sleuths, and make way for Bexley Squires!

I have a confession to make…Even though I read a lot of different genres, I don’t read a lot of amateur sleuth mysteries. I’m glad I made an exception for Quinn Avery’s debut, The Dead Girl’s Stilettos.

Quinn Avery creates a great setting; I was in Florida reading about beaches in California, and it was perfect! I loved the glimpses Avery gave of the rich and famous life. But even more than that, I loved how she butted those e
Athena Mae Rupas
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, it's the title that drew me to the book. I'm glad I requested it though because it's a fast-paced mystery story that I read in a day. The lead character is a hilarious and strong woman named Bexley Squires. She's an amateur detective who is offered a lot of money to clear the name of a celebrity who has been linked to the murder of a young woman. This puts her life in danger. Bexley is surrounding by some fun, interesting characters throughout the story. The ending is fantastic! ...more
Polly Barreto
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darn it if I don’t love a good mystery/thriller read and this debut novel by Quinn Avery kept me on the edge of my seat! I always thought of myself as a “Nancy Drew” when it comes to solving mysteries, but with all the twist and turns, friends and foes, ups and downs, Ms. Avery had me guessing at every page!

Bexley Squires is a journalist who gets hired by the one and only Dean Halliwell, Hollywood’s hottest and brightest actor, to clear his name from an unsolved case in California. With a large
Book Him Danno
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quinn Avery debut novel is a must read story. The Dead Girl's Stiletto is a fast easy to read mystery that will have readers loving the fearless female lead Bexley Squires. The author creates a story with well placed twist that might have some readers questioning what they think they know.
The story is equal parts the first few novels from Janet Evanovich Stephen Plum and mix of several other authors who have the ability to bring a dark side of mysteries to life with fun, adventures and yes poss
Jennifer Hanson
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic debut mystery from Quinn. I loved everything about this book. The characters were extremely well developed and she kept me guessing until the very end. I read a fair amount of mystery books and usually have a pretty good idea of who did it so to speak, but this time I wasn't sure and then there were so many twists and turns that you really didn't know who to trust and who not to. No wonder Bexley wasn't sure what to do and who to turn to for help. If you enjoy a good mystery, be ...more
Emma Rieker
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I was hooked from the first couple pages! The characters took me on an emotional roller coaster. I am not a fan of mystery so when I say that I loved this book, I really loved it! If you’re looking for a great mystery with a powerful female lead with a touch of romance, check out this book! The tie in with the shoes at the end was jaw dropping!
Nicole   yaaas or nahs books
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it

A huge thank you to @authorquinnavery for sending me a copy of this really fun murder mystery! ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Bexley Squires is a journalist turned sleuth when a celebrity pays her a crap ton of money to prove his innocence. He wants her to investigate a murder he has been accused of when a dead girl he had been spotted with washes up on the shore. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Against her better judgement, Bexley accepts the job because she desperately needs the money to find her sister that disappeared. ⁣⁣
As she investigates th
JANELLE || WHATSHESEEES
Loved this fast-paced read! ⠀
I was connected to it from the start!!

Author, Quinn Avery made that very easy with her seemingly charming characters and her fiercely, the main star of the book, Bexley Squires. You will love her instantly. ⠀

I love the twist in this one a lot. I did have a small prediction as to what would have been the outcome but overall still was not expecting the certain connected it had overall. ⠀

If you are looking for a read that you will automatically fall in love with the c
Tasha Doughman
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, arc-s
H. O. L. Y. S. H. I. T. What a wild ride that was. First off, thank you so much to Quinn Avery for gifting me a copy of ‘The Dead Girl’s Stilettos’ to read and review.

From the first couple of pages, I was immediately hooked. And it only got better from there. Bexley Squire is a journalist who just recently cracked a big case. Her name is known. So what happens when a dead girl washes up on the beach shore wearing nothing but stilettos?

A handsome, young actor and celebrity calls Bexley to help
Patty
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Caught up in this story from the very beginning, Quinn Avery has woven a complex mystery for Bexley Squires to solve. I could not stop listening to this one, the further I got, the more I needed to know. Bexley is hired by a famous actor to clear his name of a murder. Though a journalist, her detective skills are proven. She takes the job because the money will help her to find her missing sister. When she starts the case, her old high school friend Grayson is the detective on the case and these ...more
Debi
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this one for Net Galley in 2 days. The title caught my attention so I decided to try for it. I'm glad that I did. It's a quick and fairly fast paced story. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery was good as well. Excellent ending. This definitely appears to be a new series or at most there will be a sequel. Nothing is left hanging with the story itself other than possibilities for the characters.
Jen
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first from NetGalley. I enjoyed how the book was set into multiple parts one from Bex’s point of view, one from her sister’s and then back to Bex’s. I enjoyed the fast pace the beautifully described scenery and look forward to this author’s next book!
Amy Schmid
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Dead Girl’s Stilettos is such a fun murder mystery! I devoured this book. It is reminiscent of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series and I am here for it!! Amazing characters, a no nonsense plot, and fun world building. I enjoyed the mystery and found myself second guessing whether or not I had figured it out.
Julia Stephanie
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like I was misled. The blurb oversold the story in my opinion. It’s a decent mystery, but anything related to love triangles makes my blood boil and I struggled to get into this book. I didn’t really like the characters and the writing was bland. Not sure I’d continue the series.
Brianas_best_reads
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
✨Review✨

A huge thank you to Quinn Avery for sending me a copy of “The Dead Girl’s Stilettos” to read and review. #partner 📚 This title is available now.

“The Dead Girl’s Stilettos” follows journalist Bexley Squires as she works to solve a murder case while also searching for her own missing sister. Along the way she finds drama, mystery, and even romance! This is the first book in the Bexley Squires series.

This is one good mystery. I had so much fun reading this book and felt like I was working
Anita Glover Stevenson
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book with some good plot twists throughout. I look forward to reading another one by this author.
Tony Parsons
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
11/26, Papaya Springs, CA (Pacific Ocean). Jogging on the beach Eric O’Neil (21, Papaya Springs College hoops) came across a naked unconscious woman’s body.
She only had on her Stilettos.
Tehya Jensen (Eric’s GF, wealthy, hotel heir) let out a scream.

12/27, Brooklyn, NY. Cineste Squires (21, sister) had sliced her foot open & it was bleeding profusely.
Dean Halliwell (wealthy, Hollywood actor, surfer) hired Bexley Squires (nee Ferguson, Journalist, NYU; journalism) to solve a cold case.
Mr. Str
Bella
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bexley Squires has made a name for herself as a top investigative journalist, but her critical success hasn’t yet translated into a cash windfall. Living in a Brooklyn loft, she finds herself brilliant and beautiful, but also broke. The pitiful state of her bank account is the only thing holding her back from spending all her time solving the mystery of her sister’s disappearance.

Everything changes when Bexley gets an offer she can’t refuse. Hollywood sex symbol Dean Halliwell is accused of murd
Jen
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fresh off an journalistic investigation into a sex trafficking ring, Bexley Spires is contacted by one of the hottest men in Hollywood to clear his name in the death of an unidentified woman found on the beach near his home. Taking on his case will mean Bexley must return to Papaya Springs where she grew up and reunites her with her best friend and her high school crush who is now a detective working on the case. Bex ultimately takes the job because it affords her an opportunity to search for he ...more
Jan Miller
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dead Girl's Stilettos by Quinn Avery pulled me in from the very beginning. The author created a great character in Bexely Squires. I loved how she was after more than a story. The unexpected twists in this book was great. I had difficulty trying to figure out who was good and who wasn't. The mystery in this book was really well done and the storyline original. Victoria Villarreal was great performing this book. I could hear exactly who was speaking. I requested this review copy audiobook and ...more
Jocelyne
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Quinn Avery's book, and won't be my last! The Dead Girl's Stilettos is the first book in A Bexley Squires Mystery. This is a great start to this Series. This mystery is suspenseful, and intriguing. Bexley and Grayson are great characters. Their investigation is captivating, filled with unpredictable twists and turns. The story has also a little romance. The supporting characters are interesting. Victoria Villarreal did a great job with the narration. She has a great voice, well ...more
Gizel Alvarez
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook Review

The heroine Bexley is a journalist who finds a better suited career, as she takes on a job to prove a man's innocence.

This has been the PERFECT book to get me over this funk, while for a hot min there is a love triangle of sorts the focus on the story isn't romance but the ongoing investigation on the owner of the stilettos. I was enthrealled on the twists and turns the author threw at me and when I thought it was over a big surprise is brought to light.

audiobook Obsessions 🎧
Suzette
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bexley is a bit of a quirky character. She is an reporter masquerading as a PI. She comes into contact with her high school crush Grayson while working on this case. The story has lots of wit and comical moments. She finds herself in sticky situations as she gets closer to the truth of what she is investigating. She also grows closer to Grayson and has to decide if this will be a relationship that she wants to last. It is a nice and easy read with a happy ending.
Denise Hoover
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book!
This is the first book I’ve read of Quinn Avery’s and I could not put it down! I haven’t read a good mystery book in quite a long time. This book kept me on my toes. I wasn’t sure where it was going to go the entire time. The twists, the turns, it was unexpected. When I thought it would go one way, it went another.
This is a great start to a series. I can’t wait to dig into the next book!
I highly recommend this book to readers!
Tonya
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really love the title and thought by the blurb that this book would be something I would really enjoy. It had a decent mystery but really seemed more like a romantic thriller with a bit of a love triangle (and I really hate those.) It wasn't horrible, but it just want my cup of tea.

*Thank you to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.*
Pat Eroh
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love these characters. Very awesomely told story that is attention-grabbing, action-packed, and impossible to put down. Twisting enough to keep me guessing until the end, this reader is hoping for more stories like these (maybe with these characters?) from this author.

• The Last Journalist (Alex Vane # 5)
  • The Poison Garden
  • Tea Cups and Carnage (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #7)
  • Dressed to Kill (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #4)
  • If the Shoe Kills (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #3)
  • Mission to Murder (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Run (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Party (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #9)
  • Memories and Murder (Tourist Trap Mysteries #10)
  • Murder on Wheels (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #6)
  • Hospitality and Homicide (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #8)
  • Cold Tuscan Stone (Rick Montoya Italian Mysteries Book 1)
  • Innkeeping with Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #1)
  • Mill Point Road
  • Fit to Die (A Supper Club Mystery, #2)
  • Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery #1)
  • The Eight Bench Walk
  • Dead Odds (Conrad Keane #1)
Quinn Avery is a bestselling and award-winning author (under various pen names) of 33 romantic suspense, paranormal, and mystery novels. When not involved in the madness of their 4 children's lives, Quinn and her husband divide their time between their farm near Blue Earth, MN and their home on Lake Shetek, MN.

Quinn also writes romantic suspense as Jennifer Ann.

A Bexley Squires Mystery (4 books)
  • The Million Dollar Collar (A Bexley Squires Mystery #2)
  • The Guard's Last Watch (A Bexley Squires Mystery #3)
  • The Skeleton Key's Secrets (A Bexley Squires Mystery #4)