Start by marking “The Secret She Keeps (Whitaker Island, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secret She Keeps (Whitaker Island, #2)

The Secret She Keeps

(Whitaker Island #2)

No matter where you run to…

Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published December 30th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Secret She Keeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret She Keeps

Start your review of The Secret She Keeps (Whitaker Island, #2)
Syndi
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am surprise to see how un popular this book in Goodreads. Not many people review this. I also surprise that I like this book more than I expect. This is romance with murder mystery.

The author done a good job blending it together. Connor is quite brooding man. He over works and need for vacation. He met a mysterious woman on his vacation. What starts as misunderstanding, soon develop into romance.

The romance is not descriptive and dirty. The romance is quite and slow. It is enough to build th
WhiskeyintheJar

“Leave Whitaker now.”

Maddie has been on Whitaker Island ever since she got out of the witness protection program for the last two years. She still keeps to herself and is barely known by most of the island members.
Like his brother before him, Connor is on forced vacation and decides to stay on Whitaker and in the cabin his brother has just vacated.
Maggie i
Caz
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Secret She Keeps is the second book in HelenKay Dimon’s new series of romantic suspense novels set on the small, privately owned Whitaker Island, located somewhere off the Washington coast.  It’s an entertaining, and intriguing read featuring a couple of appealing protagonists and a well-drawn secondary cast, and although I hadn’t read the previous book, I didn’t feel as though I’d missed anything, so this one works perfectly well as a standalone.

When Connor Rye’s family fell apart after his
JoAn
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Secret She Keeps by HelenKay Dimon is a fast paced romantic suspense novel that kept me turning the pages until the end. The characters are well developed and I felt sympathy for both Connor and Maddie as their pasts were revealed. The reveal was dramatic and I had a tight grip on my ereader throughout the scene. An engaging story that kept my attention until the end.

I received a copy of the book from my local library.
Marlene
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Whitaker Island is a very strange place. Not creepy, exactly, but definitely strange. And the population seems to self-select for weird. It’s so odd that it makes me wonder if it’s off the coast near Fogg Lake – but Whitaker isn’t quite THAT strange. Still strange, as are the people it attracts.

The Secret She Keeps continues the story of the isolated and very quirky Whitaker Island that began in Her Other Secret, as well as keeping up with the Rye family wh
Stacee
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had really enjoyed the previous book in this series, so I was absolutely getting to this one.

I loved Maddie and Connor. They’re both dealing with some things and I love how strong they stayed. She’s tenacious and he’s charming and together they have banter and loads of chemistry. I loved seeing Ben and Sylvia again and the other people who love on the island.

Plot wise, it was good. I loved that the action started right away and the tension didn’t let up. I did figure out the twist about half
Sandy S
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date December 30, 2019

No matter where you run to…

Connor Rye seeks solace on remote Whitaker Island. When his first quiet evening ends with a blow to the head, it’s clear that nothing—and no one—is as it seems. Still haunted by his sister’s murder, he’s buried himself in work while trying to hold his family together. Now, when he has a minute to breathe, he knows better than to get involved with a stranger, but it might be too late to keep his distance.

Desire will
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

Okay so I know I said I wasn’t all that into book 1 Her Other Secret, but I had this on hand, and now knowing it’s like Murder, She Wrote type vibe, I wanted to give it a shot.

Yeah this series is not for me. If the author continues on with this series, I don’t think I’ll be reading them. They aren’t bad, it’s just not for me, which is a shame as I really like the author’s voice. I don’t feel this is like Jessica Fletcher at all.

Connor Rye is the brother of
Darlene
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dimon's latest features the snappy dialogue and tense situations that are the hallmark of her writing, and this was a perfect airplane read. Great characters, fun secondary characters, a strong heroine and the hero who gets where she's coming from. I've really enjoyed these connected stories and look forward to the next one.
Jessica (the naptime writer)
I received a complimentary ARC of this book from Edelweiss+ but all opinions provided are my own.

Helenkay Dimon’s The Secret She Keeps offers a passionate romance between a protective beta hero with a compelling back-story and a frightened woman who, mistaking him for someone else, attacks him, but it ultimately falls flat for me.

Connor Rye’s sister was recently murdered and he escapes to Whitaker Island hoping that some solitude will give him the peace he needs. But very soon after arriving, h
Danielle Urban
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Secret She Keeps by Helenkay Dimon is fast-paced romantic suspense. I found myself lured deeper into the plot. Page by page, I was intrigued. The suspense built into an intense atmosphere. I was not sure what the outcome would be. The outcome I knew would be deadly. But for who? And why?

This novel was packed full of action, mystery, and romance. The danger was kept unknown. The reasons for the said danger was not fully given but just enough to keep you wondering why and who was behind this
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Connor Rye came to Whitaker Island for a little peace and tranquility, but his first night on the island is anything but peaceful... as he was unexpectedly attacked. Coming to the island was supposed to be blissful break, one that would give his overworked and stressed body a break. But the beautiful woman who has just attacked him has him wondering what he just walked in to...

Maddie Rhine came to the island to hide out from her dangerous past, and even went as far as to assume a different ident
Donna Rutledge
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This sequel is GREAT. The mysterious island that you learn about in the first book, you don't have to read both books, keeps getting more mysterious as you read about Connor, Hansen's younger brother. The island is full of secrets and no one there is without a story.

Connor is a man who is haunted by his sister's death. When Alexis died his older brother went a little crazy but he had to hunker down and run the family business. He dove into business and never faced his feelings about her death or
Becky
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary
Another good--if slightly murderous--time is had by most on Whitaker Island! (Obviously the dead body and concussed/shot people might feel slightly differently about that.)

Connor Rye's (yes, Hansen's brother from the first book) intro to the island is...well, less-than ideal. You might think that from the start, someone is out to get him--oh, and the whole island keeps comparing him to his brother (the eternal problem of younger siblings everywhere) and expects him to fix random stuff for them.
Daniela
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to to Avon and Goodreads for the opportunity to read in exchange for an honest review.
This is book 2 of the series. Its not necessary to read the first one. I didn't. The plot here is unrelated to the plot in the first book.
Here we have Connor a workaholic suffering from a tragic loss a few years back. He is banned to the island forced to relax by his family. He meets the town recluse in a very unique way. Maddie is on constant high alert. Someone is aft
Perrin Larton
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Workaholic Connor Rye is on Whitaker Island for a little rest and relaxation. His first day on the island is tipped on its side when he’s rudely awakened by a blow to the head. Who knew romance could begin this way!

Maddie Rhine is a quintessential control freak. She has her reasons. She must know who arrives on Whitaker, why they’re here, and where they’re staying. As the voice behind the answering service on the island, she can keep track of the comings and goings, usually.

Connor and Maddie are
Michelle
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Connor needed a chance away from it all and after his brother successfully spent time on Whitaker Island he knew it was the best place to recharge. His trip starts on an odd note when he's woken up in his cabin by an intruder and hit over the head. Maddie didn't mean to hurt Connor, she just was not expecting anyone in that cabin and she knows everything that goes on on that island. She does that because Whitaker Island isn't just a retreat for her, it's her savior. Maddie has some secrets she h ...more
Lynn Brooks
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 STARS!

In THE SECRET SHE KEEPS danger is lurking from the very start yet the dialogue that is woven with humorous banter keeps a lightheartedness alive for the reader. HelenKay Dimon's second book in her Whitaker Island series is sure to please fans of romantic suspense!

As we go into the story, we know that Connor is still suffering an overwhelming grief over his sister's murder and carries a load of emotions with him. He's seeking to get away from the daily grind to comfort his soul, but f
Kathy Stasa
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mandy was in the witness protection program and chose to leave and now makes her home on Whittaker Island in the Northwest just off of Seattle. She continues to remain vigilant and fearful for her life and is very cautious about her routine and who she comes in contact with. Conner Rye, originally from the DC area, visits his family home on Whittaker Island to take a well needed vacation. When Conner and Mandy meet on the island, sparks fly. Mandy begins to receive anonymous threatening letters. ...more
Bree Lewandowski
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ergh. I'm mostly gonna leave the fact that I rated this book with two stars as review enough. Because this simply might not have been the book for me. And I've seen other people's ratings much higher than mine. So, to each their own.
But for me, the suspense felt fabricated and spoon-fed. Not organic or really suspenseful at all. The romance seemed out of place for the way Ms. Dimon created the main female character. Not saying there couldn't have been a romance but the way it played out felt un
Kari
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Secrets She Keeps is the sequel to Her Other Secret. Connor is the brother of Hanson from the first book. He is on the island for a much needed vacation. He is attacked minutes after being in the cabin. Maddie has been quietly living on the island trying to put her life back together. Connor helps her figure out who is sending her warning notes. This was a good follow up to the first book. I liked both characters. While their HEA was a bit quick, they fit well together. The mystery of who is ...more
Jacque
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exquisitely written

This books was incredibly well written👌🏼 I loved that the characters felt like real people- the dialogue flowed naturally and felt authentic. Maddie and Connor were both clever people with sharp edges, and it was really fun to watch the sparks fly between them! The suspense was also *really* well done- I felt low-level anxiety the whole time!

I read this book as part of a reading challenge to read a subgenre that I don’t typically read, and I while this book is really really e
Donna Was A Scandal
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Romantic suspense with a big mystery influence - I enjoyed this book very much and found the characters resonated with me more than those in book 1. Connor's emotional baggage and inability to grieve runs head-first into Maddie's deep, dark, deadly secrets - I'm not spoiling a damn thing! I found the pacing of the mystery very well done, I enjoyed the chemistry and really hot sex scenes but most of all, the gut-wrenching emotional journey or journeys but especially Connor's as it revolves around ...more
Chris
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Connor Rye, Hansen's brother from the previous book, is on Whitaker Island for a much-needed vacation. Maddie has been living on the island and answering calls for the police department and some businesses on the island. Maddie has been very secretive about her past. Maddie has been receiving threatening notes and she gets worried when she finds Connor in Hansen's old house. I really liked Connor and Maddie's interactions with each other. Maddie's secret-keeping did make some things difficult, b ...more
Crystal
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I am LOVING Whitaker Island so much! I was intrigued by book one, and now I'm completely obsessed! And these Rye brothers are just wow! Maddie is an awesome character, and while I wanted to shake her sometimes, I totally loved her! Connor is just the absolute best too! I figured out the mystery early on (lifelong mystery reader here), but that didn't diminish my love of the story or how it played out! I cannot wait for more, because there are people I need more info about, like now!
Linda
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great story about Whittaker Island and the unusual people who live there. Connor Rye came because after his sister’s death, he became a workaholic and he needed a rest. Unfortunately he wasn’t going to get it while he was on the island. Right off the bat, he met Maddie Rhine when she hit him over the head while he was sleeping in his own cabin but it was a mistake. She had been hiding for so long that she was afraid that he was here to hurt her. Interesting story that you will love.
Joanne
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
The two main characters Conner Rye and Maddie Rhine are strangers that meet in an unusual way. It was very painful for one of them..literally. Though Conner and Maddie have come to Whitaker Island for different reasons, the reader learns they each have issues that aren't resolved.
The author wove the multi-layered plot so well; I could visualize this book as a television show or a movie.
Lynsay
Better than the 1st. More suspense in this one. While slightly predictable, I was guessing who was behind everything and felt there were a few different suspects, before the real one was revealed. However, I was completely wrong on the actual motive. It read one way to me but turned out completely different.

So hoping for a third book with Ben and Jenna as the two main characters.
Lynda
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purchased this book on a whim. I haven't read this author before, and don't usually start with the second book in a series. Glad I did though. I enjoyed the story and character development. Don't feel I really missed anything by not reading the first book...it was good as a stand alone. While I won't go back and read the first book in the series, I will look for other books by this author.
Terra
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
It was an okay read. It was more about the mystery than romance. I also knew who done it half way through. The real relationship buildibg happened at the end. The book was a bit inside out. But it wasn't bad.

• Whiteout (Survival Instincts, #1)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Covert Vengeance (Vengeance, #2)
  • Can't Stand the Heat? (Welcome to Otter Tail Book 2)
  • Bending the Rules (The Devereux Family Book 3)
  • Shiver
  • Life Rewritten (Welcome to Otter Tail Book 3)
  • A Safe Place (The Devereux Family Book 1)
  • No Place Like Home (The McInnes Triplets Book 2)
  • The Woman He Knows (The Devereux Family Book 2)
  • Full Disclosure
  • Dark 'N' Deadly (Federal K-9, #3)
  • Ross (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes, #3)
  • Last Man Standing (Black Ops Inc., #7)
  • Whisper No Lies (Black Ops Inc., #3)
HelenKay Dimon is a divorce lawyer-turned-romance author. After dedicating years to helping people terminate relationships she now writes romance novels full time. Her books have earned praise, appeared on bestseller lists, won numerous awards and twice been named Red-Hot Reads and excerpted in Cosmo. She sometimes writes erotic romance, sometimes writes romantic suspense and sometimes writes cont ...more

Whitaker Island (2 books)
  • Her Other Secret (Whitaker Island #1)