Start by marking “Frontier Follies: Adventures in Marriage and Motherhood in the Middle of Nowhere” as Want to Read:

From her beginnings as an early blogger, Ree Drummond has become a household name with a passionate following of devoted fans. On her blog, in her magazine, and on her cooking show, Ree shares recipes, tales of her adventures in the country, and stories of everyday life with her four children and cowboy/rancher husband.

In this down-to-earth and charming book, Ree shares re
Published October 27th 2020 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Frontier Follies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frontier Follies

Start your review of Frontier Follies: Adventures in Marriage and Motherhood in the Middle of Nowhere
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)

I first "met" Ree Drummond 10 or 12 years ago through her Pioneer Woman blog. I loved her laid back and casual posts that covered everything from her life on the ranch to all kinds of kitchen basic how-to's that were extremely helpful early in my marriage when my husband and I were learning to feed ourselves, lol. Ree just seems like a real genuine person and I enjoyed reading the tidbits she'd share and trying out her recipes.
Fast forward to 2020 and the woman is her own brand. Her nam
mindful.librarian ☀️
This book was exactly what I wanted it to be - cozy and comfy and happy. I haven’t read any of her other books, though, so I have nothing to compare it to - I do think that if I had actually ever watched her show or read her blog it might have been familiar material. But I hadn’t, so it wasn’t, and I’m a happy reader!
Kristen
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was just okay for me, felt a bit disjointed. I very much preferred her first book. This read like a bunch of choppy stories; nothing really flowed.
Mom_Loves_Reading
What better week to post about this book than a week that focuses on food & baking than Thanksgiving, right? I love when I get the chance to watch Ree's show, 'The Pioneer Woman'. She makes yummy foods that use easy to find ingredients, she has the sweetest voice ever, & the woman never stops smiling! This is my first book by Ree, but I think I am going to check out her others now since this one was just so cute & fun! The book jacket is adorable, the book itself is pink & there are even little ...more
Lesa
Ree Drummond’s Frontier Follies was all I had hoped for in her memoir, the story of her family and life on the Drummond Ranch. I watch “The Pioneer Woman” on TV, but I watch for the anecdotes and scenes of ranch life. I don’t use her recipes or cooking equipment. I haven’t read her cookbooks, only the story of meeting and marrying her husband, Ladd, The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. Ranch life is so different from my life that I find it fascinating.

This book is a celebration of e
Leighellen Landskov
Ree Drummond is simply adorable! I started following her blog about 15 years ago when my photography studio was first opening up. She would not only share recipes from the ranch but also stunning photography of horses and sunsets. She did such a great job of capturing the beauty of ordinary life.

Frontier Follies feels a lot like that. It’s a perfectly silly celebration of the everyday moments of Ree Drummond’s life as a mom, wife, and cookbook author/TV personality living in rural America. From
Kristina
I have followed Ree since the early days of her blog, pre-TV show and cookbook and have been a fan ever since. I love her humor and humbleness and her whole vibe seems so genuine. I’m dying to go to Pawhuska to all her shops and the Lodge.
I really enjoyed this book I think I just wish it were longer! I love books with special things in them like lists of facts or trivia and silly stuff like you’d see in a teeny bopper mag on your favorite celebrity and she threw several in here 🥰
I rarely cry a
Erica
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It was truly and light and fun read that gave me a glimpse into ranch life in Oklahoma. The stories included in this book were honest and heartfelt and even funny at times. There were definitely numerous times that I found myself laughing out loud while reading.

Being a country girl myself, I was super excited to read this book. There were definitely some parts of the book that I could really relate to and I loved it. I also think that this book would be insightful
Andrea Selaty
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A light read, kind of like a series of blog posts (a few of which I had read before) but oh so enjoyable. Read by Ree herself you can’t help but smile along with her and wish you lived on a ranch. She has a way of storytelling that takes you right inside her story. Perfect read for 2020! I’d read another one of her books every week.
Courtney
I have adored Ree Drummond since the very first Pioneer Woman blog post I read years ago. She’s funny and sweet and sassy and so real. I own (and love) all of her amazing cookbooks and my favorite thing about them are the stories scattered throughout, so this book was such a treat- full of stories and lessons from her life as a ranch wife and mom. Definitely recommend for her fans!
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a funny book, since I have never watched her show I would’ve liked some pictures. The part that stayed with me, is the fact that they get up at 3:45 A.M. to work in the summer. I also would’ve liked to hear how they are doing now without all the help of their children.
Dillon Christensen
Probably biased here, being a Tulsan, but I loved the way Ree tells her story. I have never seen anything about "the Pioneer Woman" except her line of kitchenware at Walmart. And usually I chide my wife by suggesting she buy something from the line because we're pretty anti-rustic when it comes to anything house-related. I guess it's an attempt to distance ourselves from the stereotypical Okie idea. Anyway, I read about this book in the Tulsa World and was intrigued. I ordered and read it cover ...more
John Amory
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ree is not as funny as she thinks she is, nor is her life as interesting or exciting as a book with the word "misadventures" in the title would suggest. This made for some very cringey essays, and some essays that were so dull, I'd read the first few lines and then skip them (see: the entire section about her extended family). ...more
Maggie Carr
I don't have cable so what I know about Ree Drummond, her ranch, and family is from watercooler talk and her children's books. I listened to audio on this one and hearing her narrate her own words was not only refreshing but hysterical, as she sped up and slowed down based on the tone of each chapter/memory, and on occasion got the giggles reading. The fake snake jokes, cattle dicks frozen to the ground, the family of skunks, family reflections, and Ladd's wedding reception field trip all made t ...more
Lisa Brown
Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, has made her way into our hearts and homes through her delicious recipes and sweet and relatable personality. Frontier Follies is a collection of essays she wrote about different experiences and parts of her life, everything from her pets, her nightmarish first year of marriage, or hers and her husband's penchant for scaring each other with rubber snakes.

It is fun, witty, and heartfelt, and I really enjoyed it - and I loved having her read the audiobook. I only
Taylynn
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for Christmas from my momma and I was so excited to read it! I am glad to say it did not disappoint. I enjoyed her “blog like” structure meaning there was no need to read the book in order (though I did). I enjoyed because able to read a few stories a night and not wondering what was coming next. I enjoyed that her stories read like I was talking to an old friend. I will say that I watch her cooking show and follow her on social media but I never read her blogs.
Mindy Yount
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light-hearted, laugh out loud funny and totally enjoyable. I've never watched her show or followed her long running blog but still loved this book. There were a couple chapters that made me laugh so much -- one especially was hilarious and relatable. I appreciate the Oklahoma setting and references and also like that life on a ranch is so different from my own. ...more
Sarah Beneke
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! Super easy read, like she was just talking to me, telling me funny stories about her life. Though she lives on a ranch in OK and has written multiple cookbooks, has a show on Food Network and her own blog, I liked that we have things in common (middle age woes--weight gain!, kids growing up too fast, truly happiest when at home--and sometimes when I'm alone). ...more
Amber
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Ree Drummond! Her recipes have become a staple in my home. When she first became popular I found myself judging her. Like she is the perfect wife and mother. Once I got over myself I realized how down to earth she really is and she is my favorite. This book was funny and sweet and everything you except from Ree.
Kathleen Gray
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ree's fans will enjoy this slender collection of anecdotes- as will those who are only vaguely familiar with her. I've followed her blog for years and years- bought her first cookbook when it came out- and I still learned a few things by reading this. I liked the additional insight into the kids (which she does without breeching their privacy) as well as her in-laws. I laughed more than once (and especially about how her British film crew handles ranch life). The key to Ree's success has been an ...more
Cheryl
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An honest account of life on the ranch and raising four kids while unexpectedly becoming famous. Ree keeps it real and remains humble throughout. Some repeated material from her blogs but a lot of new material, too.
Heidi Kuipers
I am a fan of Ree already, so this book was very her. I loved it. Lots of family stories. If you are not a fan I don't think you'll like it. If she's new to you then I'd encourage you to check it out. ...more
Larene
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun stories. I liked her first book better because it was in a novel format. In this book, each chapter is a different experience.
She has a fun, down to earth writing style that’s easy and enjoyable to read.
Amanda
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute. Charming. Fluffy. Entertaining. Everything you get from watching her cooking show but in book form.
Lynn Trollope
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved every minute of this book. Thanks for keeping it real! Especially appreciated all of the opportunities to laugh. Much needed this week!
Stacy
Dec 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read, and I could relate to a lot of her stories of ranch life. I didn’t love it as much as I did her first book though.
Sue
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She is real.. not some made up TV chef and she’s great!
Kristen Fox
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable - short and quick and easy to follow along with! A good read when you want to relax and not have to think too hard.
Brooke
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this fun, light read to start the new year! Ree always has interesting stories to tell, and you can just hear her sweet personality coming through the page!
Pam Newcomb
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Have always enjoyed her shows and watching the interaction with Ladd on the ranch and the kids growing up. I laughed a lot and sometimes laughed til I cried! Ree is basically just like any other mom with kids and a busy life.

• Rodham
  • Dessert Person: Recipes and Guidance for Baking with Confidence
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • The Pull of the Stars
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • North of the Tension Line
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)