Start by marking “Missed Translations: Meeting the Immigrant Parents Who Raised Me” as Want to Read:
Missed Translations: Meeting the Immigrant Parents Who Raised Me

Missed Translations: Meeting the Immigrant Parents Who Raised Me

A bittersweet and humorous memoir of familyof the silence and ignorance that separate us, and the blood and stories that connect usfrom an award-winning New York Times writer and comedian.

Approaching his 30th birthday, Sopan Deb had found comfort in his day job as a writer for the New York Times and a practicing comedian. But his stage material highlighting his South Asian
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Missed Translations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missed Translations

Start your review of Missed Translations: Meeting the Immigrant Parents Who Raised Me
Sopan Deb
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am a bit biased on this, given that I wrote the book. But my hope is that there is something in this memoir for everyone. Its a story about family, comedy, healing, forgiveness and so much more. Its an immigrant story. A South Asian story. (Not THE South Asian story, mind you. Just one of many from the South Asian diaspora in America.) I also hope that readers find the story timely, as what we think of as the American Dream is constantly being debated today. My parents didnt get to experience ...more
Emma
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Missed Translations in the week leading up to Christmasthe first one Ive spent without family, which has me thinking about my family relationships and how they affect the holidays.

It was a poignant time to read Sopans treatise on his own family, one fractured by trauma that left its four corners well out of touch with one another. His story of reestablishing family relationships is deeply moving, funny, and not in the least straightforward. It is complex and incomplete, but that is what
Kathy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, memoir
While the writing style is brisk and witty, it doesn't take away from the serious topic. Plus Sopan Deb is so earnest and doesn't shy away from taking blame that it makes for a charmer of a memoir.
Erica Deb
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure, I have more than a vested interest in this book, but looking beyond that, it was a truly moving read. How often do we stop and look at our lives thinking, how did I get here? What am I doing? Why am I like this? So much of our lives are the result of the choices we make, and the situations in which we find ourselves. This is a story about an adult, seeing his parents as adults for possibly the first time. His parents had long, complicated lives before he entered the picture, and ...more
C.J.
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I devoured this book, it left me with a lot to chew on. (I will now cease food-related metaphors.) The authors voice is endearing  reflective, funny, and above all earnest. Following along as the author learns so much about his family (one very dissimilar from my own!) and by extension himself is bittersweet and complicated. I highly recommend it. ...more
Tehreem Abedi
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do not have enough words to describe this book except I could not put it down! It is very well written and really hones in on a range of emotions from making the reader cry to laughing out loud. It is a very personal story and I commend the author for sharing it in such great detail. A must read!
Preeti
Absolutely brilliant. Review coming soon.
Marlana
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Won this arc on goodreads. I loved it..The story of how his family came to the United States from India is amazing. From his mom's struggles to support her mom and brother, to his dad coming to find "the American dream", I loved reading about Sopan's parents stories. Meeting the extended family in India was so interesting. I would love to go visit myself now and meet these people and see all the touristy places described in this book..Great story!
Kristen Trofa
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A touching story about self discovery and how it is never too late to try to build a relationship with your family that also manages to be very funny!
Ali-Asghar
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it's a fascinating tale of discovery and belonging, driven by a fierce curiosity and told with incredible candor and brilliant humor.

I was compelled by the empathy, forgiveness and understanding that leap from these pages. This is a story of tremendous personal growth - and not just for the author.

Hats off to Sopan Deb for having the courage to dig deep within himself and within his parents to uncover these stories and for sharing them with the world.

Reading this book has
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won a proof copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

As per usual, I started reading this book knowing nothing. I had no ideas what I was getting into. Deb is great writer and funny too but this book just wasnt for me.

My heart broke for Deb as he interviewed his parent and described his childhood growing up. I however found my myself bored. I think I was hoping for more interviews with his parents and family members and less memoir.
Kathleen
For all of us, our parents can be mysterious persons. More so for Sopan Deb who's lost contact __ and reconnects with ___ his immigrant parents. As someone who has lived in India, I wanted to love this book. I found it somewhat interesting reading, but it did not touch my heart.
Mahdi
Feb 09, 2020
Julie LaRue
Myriam M.
Nov 12, 2019

• The Ones We've Been Waiting for: How a New Generation of Leaders Will Transform America
  • Uncanny Valley: A Memoir
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • Long Bright River
  • The Wives
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Know My Name: A Memoir
  • The Book of V.
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber