Start by marking “The Boy With the Butterfly Mind” as Want to Read:
The Boy With the Butterfly Mind

The Boy With the Butterfly Mind

Published September 12th 2019 by Floris Books

To ask other readers questions about The Boy With the Butterfly Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy With the Butterfly Mind

Start your review of The Boy With the Butterfly Mind
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
So an interesting story happened to me regarding this book.

First of all, the reason I downloaded it from Edelweiss as a review copy was because it mentioned OCD rep - an ADHD step-brother and OCD step-sister. Interesting dynamic! Plus, I am OCD and there's never any rep - I had to grab it.

And I read it. And I didn't enjoy the rep. I posted a review. And the next morning... I got a message.

Turns out, there was no OCD whatsoever intended in the book. The author wrote me a sensitive message about
Georgie Lucraft-Townley
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know that I can entirely put into words how this book made me feel, but I absolutely adored it. Any book that can make you cry so early on and evoke such depth of feeling is surely going to be a page turner.
The author provoked feelings of empathy for both characters despite some pretty awful behaviour, although hope wins out in the end.
For me, the book spoke to me on a personal level and made me realise just how much my daughter deals with on a daily basis that others take for granted.

I
Bel
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fractured families, blended families, school and social issues, ADHD... this book is an honest look at how all these things affect 11 year olds Elin and Jamie as they are forced to live under the same roof. I particularly found the writing of Jamie to be moving.
Laura Gardner
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
/5 for this wonderful book that will help increase understanding of severe ADHD and will also be a comfort to students who have experienced divorce.

Jamie and Elin are completely different except that they are both children of divorce. Jamie is forgetful, impulsive, and scatterbrained because of his severe ADHD. He lives with his mother and her boyfriend, Chris in England, but he misses his dad everyday. Elin is a perfectionist who refuses to meet her new half sister because she’s convinced
Barbara
This one is a 3.5 for me. It broke my heart at several points, and the author managed to evoke empathy for both of the main characters even though most of my concern was for Jamie. Both Jame lie and Elin Watts are 11, and while they couldn't be more different on the surface, they actually have some things in common. Both find it hard to fit in and be accepted on their own merits by their classmates, and both just want to have things go back to the way they were before their families fell apart. ...more
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Victoria`s debut the Fox Girl and the White Gazelle last year, and I was delighted to find that her second book is just as good, if not even better. This one is also a dual narrative, this time telling the story of Jamie and Elin, who have just become part of the same blended family, and their rather complex relationship. The dual narrative format worked exceptionally well for the story, because it really allows you to get to know both of them and see both sides, as it makes ...more
Nicole
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Told from both child's view we follow Elin in Scotland who is trying to be perfect so her Dad will leave the horrible Witch and the mutant baby & come live with them. Of course she'll have to get rid of Mums boyfriend first too.
Jamie is 11 & his mind runs 100 mph. He doesn't know what to do be happy because his Mum & her boyfriend are moving to California USa or sad because that will leave his dad behind.
But events will bring Elin and Jamie's world crashing together. In a compelling
Kirsty Stanley
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg, read-in-2019
Tina Ballantyne
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a book which stirs up emotions. A few tears were shed during the reading of this book. Highly recommended
Vonprice
Beautifully written and deeply moving story, read my full review here: http://vsviewfromthebookshelves.home....
Julia Thum
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
he Boy With The Butterfly Mind is not only a great story (I couldn't put it down - read it in one sitting) but it gives extraordinary insight into the minds to the two protagonists, Jamie and Elin. Suddenly, ADHD was less of a mystery to me and, importantly, the behaviours arising from the condition became completely understandable.

Victoria Williamson does an extraordinary job of inviting us inside the heads of her two main characters: scared, damaged, confused eleven year olds, telling us a
Balu

• Gribblebob's Book of Unpleasant Goblins
  • The Twisted Tree
  • In the Shadow of Heroes
  • How High the Moon
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
  • All the Invisible Things
  • "I Will Not Be Erased": Our stories about growing up as people of colour
  • The Peculiar Peggs of Riddling Woods
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • Slay
A lifelong storyteller and daydreamer, Victoria Williamson is a children’s author and teacher who has lived and worked in Africa, China, America and the UK.

Victoria grew up in Kirkintilloch, north Glasgow, surrounded by hills on the edge of a forest estate where many of her early ghost stories and fantasy tales were born amid the magical trees and spooky old ruined buildings.

After studying Physics