Start by marking “The Lightness of Hands” as Want to Read:
The Lightness of Hands

The Lightness of Hands

Sixteen-year-old Ellie Dante is desperate for something in her life to finally go right. Her father was a famous stage magician until he attempted an epic illusion on live TVand failed. Now Ellie lives with her dad in a beat-up RV, attending high school online and performing with him at birthday parties and bars across the Midwest to make ends meet.

But when the gigs dry
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Lightness of Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lightness of Hands

Start your review of The Lightness of Hands
Sara Santana
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***This review originally posted on What A Nerd Girl Says***

I think that anyone can write a book about a character with bipolar disorder. Anyone can write a book about a tumultuous relationship with a parent. Anyone can write a book about tough friendships and the ups and downs of navigating a relationship. But there is something so unique and magical literally about this book and I blew through it in a matter of hours.

Jeff has a way of making characters stand out and jump off the page. Ellie
Samantha (WLABB)
Her father was a rising star on the magic scene until he attempted a grand illusion, The Truck Drop, on live television and failed. Since then, a lot had changed. Her father had fallen from grace, and Ellie's life had become less stable. Though she was struggling with managing her bipolar disorder, she knew she had to help her dad redeem himself. This would be their last shot, and Ellie was determined to help her dad reclaim the magic that had once destroyed him.

I must admit, I was very
Nick
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magic, Bipolar II, life on the roadTHE LIGHTNESS OF HANDS is another ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ by
Jeff Garvin (𝔪𝔞𝔰𝔱𝔢𝔯 of writing best friends)! Just finished the ARC & it got me just like SYMPTOMS OF BEING HUMAN, one of my all-time favorites. Highly recommended!
Amy
Many thanks to EdelweissPlus and the publisher for providing me with a DRC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

I loved this book. Garvin's earlier work (The Symptoms of Being Human ) is a book that I still reference and recommend to readers so when I saw that he was publishing another work, I knew I had to read it. I worried, for a moment, that it wouldn't live up to my expectations, but I shouldn't have. It exceeded my expectations and I am so, so, so glad to have read it.

Part
kglibrarian  (Karin Greenberg)
It's not often that a young adult book tackles teenage issues from a completely original angle. Jeff Garvin not only manages to use the backdrop of magic to create a fresh plot in which to embed the characters, but he also takes on the issues of mental illness, suicide, and relationships with directness and honesty.

Ellie Dante, a sixteen-year-old living in an old RV with her father, struggles to get through each day. Her dad, a formerly famous magician who lost his reputation after a trick went
Cyndy Deleon
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I flew through this book. It was wonderful. But.... I live in Las Vegas. And it drives me crazy when books tall about Vegas and get things wrong. This book had all these real life things, but then it was mixed with things that were totally made up.
And if you were driving here from Phoenix, you would take the 93/95 through Kingman straight to Vegas. But you would have to take the 95 to the 15 south to drive down the strip starting at Sunset. And you would have passed old Vegas on the way. And
Rebecca Davis
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way Garvin portrayed the realities of bipolar II disorder was spot on. The descriptions of the highs and lows and the greys and colors really put me in the protagonists shoes and helped me connect with her despite me not having personally experienced it. I am glad that Garvin did not shy away from these descriptions like some books try to hide the ugliness of it.

I think what really made me love this book were the side characters. The protagonist's online friend/hacker/brother was my
Stephanie Brown
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ellies father is a struggling magician. They are running out of money and they are homeless and struggling in all aspects. Ellie is her fathers agent and assistant. She is home schooling. She wants to be a nurse and have security for her and her father. Ellie is also bipolar. She lives magic
But she worries about what happens after she feels the high of performing if she can handle the low that comes
After. Well done realistic book about the realities of dealing with bipolar disorder. The author
Jamie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was planning to read a bit of this for work assessment - instead I read every word. In his authors note, Jeff Garvin talks about how much of his life he brings into Ellies story, and I appreciate the specificity hes able to bring in creating such a beautiful and well-rounded character. Ellies relationships - with her father, with her best friend Ripley, with the crowd of magicians that litter this road trip story - are so well drawn, and even if the Liam angle wasnt my favorite part of the ...more
Crystal
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
AWESOME. SPECIAL. MAGICAL.
This is such an important and beautiful book. It was an honor to read it!
Анна Керн
Oct 14, 2019
rated it did not like it
Feb 23, 2020
James Mitchell
Aug 05, 2019

• Three Things I Know Are True
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Be Not Far From Me
  • Rules for Being a Girl
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
  • The Upside of Falling
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Kent State
  • We Are Totally Normal
  • Just Breathe
  • They Went Left
  • The Stars We Steal
  • Redemption Prep
  • The Empire of Dreams (Fire and Thorns)
Jeff Garvin is an author, musician, and actor. His debut novel, Symptoms of Being Human, is an ALA Best Fiction for Young Adults Selection, a Lambda Literary Award Finalist, a Goodreads Choice Semifinalist, and garnered starred reviews from Booklist and Publishers Weekly. Before becoming a novelist, Jeff acted on TV and toured as the lead singer of a rock band. He has a BFA in Film from Chapman ...more