Start by marking “Jake the Growling Dog” as Want to Read:

Jake the Growling Dog

Jake’s voice has a different sound.
Other critters won’t come around.
But he is sweet and only wants to play.
Will others start to see him that way?

Follow Jake, a sweet, kind, and misunderstood dog as he tries to make friends despite his differences.

Meet forest critters of all kinds while getting to know Jake. Jake loves to swim, hike, and play, but when he realizes he's
Published May 19th 2019 by Rawlings Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Jake the Growling Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jake the Growling Dog

Start your review of Jake the Growling Dog
Charlene Avery
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a joy to read again and again. There are beautiful illustrations. We are introduced to many animals & Pacific Northwest habitats. This is a fun read, with fun assonance & consonance. Jake is very lovable & relatable. This is a story with a big heart and lots of appeal. The mindfulness and loving kindness activities at the end are easy to use, enjoyable, and well done. Samantha Shannon used very knowledgeable and respected resources for the activities she created.
Brii Rose
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this to my son and he enjoyed it. He got sad when Jake got sad that the kids and animals ran from him when he was happy or trying to play. But he was so happy when they started to play with him again. I loved the part at the end saying that its ok to be different. In a mixed racial house its a great book for a child.
Teri
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake is quite a character but no one seems to understand him. I love that he teaches us that we are all different and need to accept each other as we are. It’s a great story with cute rhymes which my granddaughter enjoyed. She took over the grrr’s in the story which made it more fun for her. Love Jake and yes she wants to read more.
Jackie
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely wonderful story about a dog that’s different. It shows us to be kind and accepting. Even though the book is short, a lot of meaning is there. Don’t miss out.
Debi
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

4 Stars

I read this book twice as it is a pretty quick read. I love where the author took this story but I found it a bit awkward at times while reading, my favorite part was actually after the story and the message that was supposed to be gained while reading. The activity was awesome and the list of things you can be thankful for was a great topic starter since I
Felicia  Bates
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Written by Samantha Shannon
4 out of 5 stars

I read this book with my almost 3 year old daughter this morning and I am looking forward to reading it with my son a bit later when he wakes up as I feel like the book and the additional pages after about kindness and encouraging empathy will really lead to a great discussion with him.
That being said, my daughter and I enjoyed this book. It kept
E.A.
Jake the Growling Dog (Jake the Growling Dog Book 1) by Samantha Shannon was a cute, heart warming read, that's perfect for all ages.

My first read from this author, and going way out of my comfort zone, I was scouting books for my niece when I came across this one. I took a chance and decided to give it a read before I sent it off. This sweet read has such a wonderful lesson about judgement, friendship, working together, and looking beyond what we see. It hits a little home, as I can relate to
Elizabeth
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog was a cute story by Samantha Shannon. It is about a dog named Jake who is trying to make friends, but everyone is afraid of him. He has a hard time communicating himself, and often growls. But his growl doesn't mean he is scared, mean or dangerous. He growls when he is happy, excited, and wanting to play. It seems no one wants to play with him, until Neet, the squirrel. Neet understands, and tries to show others that Jake is friendly. They work on his nice voice and ...more
Cindy
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Children's book
About Kindness, Diversity,
And Friendship
By Samantha Shannon

This children's story is family oriented, and a fun bedtime book.

What a fun story to read to children. It will open up a conversation every family needs I feel it is the perfect story, for what is happening in the world today. Jake is such a caring dog. When he realizes nobody wants to be his friend, because of his growling. He meets a new friend, Neet the Black squirrel. Who helps him find new
Kaitlynn Taylor
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog- Samantha Shannon

5-stars

I loved everything about this children’s book! This author did an amazing job of conveying an important message in a way that children can actually understand.

Jake is a very misunderstood dog, he’s nothing like he appears and thankfully one of his friends is able to see through his scary growl and recognize him for who he is. Everyone is unique in their very own way and we need to be thankful for our differences and be open to change.

I was able to
Julie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog (Jake the Growling Dog Book 1) by Samantha Shannon is a five star children’s book. This is such a cute book about a misunderstood dog who growled all the time. Instead of a purr, like a cat, Jake has a growl that he lets out when he is happy. But this growl, makes everyone and every animal around him afraid of him. Then he meets a squirrel that tries to help him. As a school teacher, I loved this book for kids because it teaches them that just because someone is different ...more
Kerry Baker
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jake the Growling Dog by Samantha Shannon is a fun book for kids that also has an important meaning to it.
Having a young child it is hard to find books that keeps them entertained and engaged all the way through but this book does a great job of holding their attention. The pictures were bright and colourful but also weren’t too “in your face”. It had my little one flicking through them and laughing at the animals.
She also really enjoyed when I read the book to her. While she is probably a bit
Laura Furuta
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog: (Jake the Growling Dog Book 1)
By: Samantha Shannon
5 out of 5 stars

The story Jake the Growling Dog (Jake the Growling Dog Book 1) by Samantha Shannon is a children’s book about a loveable and friendly dog. Jake is a wonderful and likable character that children will love to read about. He wants to make friends however he is misunderstood. The illustrations complement the story and are eye-catching. The book teaches lessons that young ones can learn from and it includes an
Madison Degraffenreid
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019read
Jake The Growling Dog: A Children’s Book About The Power Of Kindness, Celebrating Diversity, and Friendship, Written by Samantha Shannon, Illustrated by Kerrie Joyce

5-Stars

Jake The Growling Dog is a cute and fun children’s book. It has beautiful pictures and a great lesson. It is written to help teach children about diversity, kindness, friendship, and mindfulness. I love that it includes a short exercise at the end for mindfulness and self love. My son enjoyed listening to me read to him and
Susie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a preschool teacher I look for books with eye-catching illustrations, attention to detail, strong vocabulary and messages that emphasize character traits. Jake the Growling Dog contains all these and more. Besides the important storylines of accepting people as they are and being a supportive friend, the unique animal friends found in the tale are refreshing. Can’t say I’ve ever read a book to my class with a bufflehead duck or a thistle warbler before! This is a sweet story with additional ...more
Sheri
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog by Samantha Shannon is the first book in the Jake the Growling Dog series. This is a story about Jake who tends to growl. He scares the others away but it is not because he is mean but because he has a growl. A squirrel, Neet, helps him tame the growl down some and this allows others to see that he is an ok type of dog. The story is sweet and teaches children that we are all different. We need to be accepting of each other's differences.
I look forward to sharing this sweet
Michelle Mulvey
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog was a sweet Book. Everyone Jake tried to play with all went away scared and thought he was a mean dog because he growled at them. Jake wasn’t very mean at all. He wanted to have friends and play with the kids but every time they heard his grrr they quickly left. One day a black squirrel named Neet tried to
make Jakes voice sound sweet.
Not every dog who growls is mean. He just didn’t know his sounds scared everyone away. This was a quick sweet book showing how everyone is
Erica Fish
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog by Samantha Shannon is a cute story with a great lesson to be learned.
I do not have little children any more or grandchildren, BUT I could not resist Jake. Jake is a misunderstood dog. He does not know that his actions were scaring everyone because he thought he was being nice. There is one who decided to help and turned him around. The illustrations with the book are so simple and amazing. At the end of the book there is some wonderful activities to do with the little one
Bobbi Wagner
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I love how it shows children that it is okay to be different. It shows what is it like to judge someone because of what they look like or how they act. I read this book to a couple of boys I take care of and they were engaged the from beginning to end. They would ask questions and make comments about the pictures, very interactive story. They thought it was fun and wanted me to read it again. A must for children and those learning that being different is okay.
Monica
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog is perfect for my 8-year-old daughter! We read it together 3 times now, and she is able to understand and identify what Jake is going through. I think this book is a must-read for children, it teaches such a thoughtful lesson!

Can't wait to see what Samantha Shannon comes out with next!
Aviva Gittle
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Original story on self-acceptance

Enjoyed this story about a happy-go-lucky dog who doesn’t realize his behavior wards off others. He tries to change, but ultimately those around him realize his behavior is not a reflection of who he is on the inside. Great opportunity for discussions with your child about self-awareness, social behavior, and acceptance. Recommended.
Melissa Stewart
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore reading this charming story about the lovable Jake to my daughters. The best part of the story is the underlying lesson of showing kindness to others despite their differences. The discussion points and kindness activities at the end that can be done with your children elevate this book and its mission to spread joy in the world. Go Jake!
Kandis
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake the Growling Dog by Samantha Shannon is the first book of this series. This was a cute book to read to my sons at bed time. It has a theme of kindness and being accepting of others who are different. The illustrations are beautiful and very colorful. I will definitely be looking into other books in the series.
Erin
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I give Jake the Growling Dog: A Children's Book about the Power of Kindness, Celebrating Diversity, and Friendship by Samantha Shannon, 5 stars.

Jake is a kind, fun dog but doesn't have any friends. He's different than other dogs. Can others understand and accept his differences or is he always going to be alone? Maybe there are others out there who understand...

This is a wonderful children's book showing how others can be different, but should be accepted too. The images are fun and go along
Carrie
Jake The Growling Dog by Samantha Shannon
5 stars

This is such a sweet book, it teaches that no matter if your different from everyone else, that is okay. Being unique is beautiful. I also like at the end the list of people or authority figures that you can teach your children to be thankful for.
Lyndsey Fairley
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jake the Growling Dog (Jake the Growling Dog Book 1) by Samantha Shannon
4 stars

What a very fast but very powerful read. My kids loved me reading this book, we read it a few times at bedtime in one night!
The message this book gives you is so great, and my kids enjoyed the activity as well.
anita
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short read; for a certain age group in mind. This is about a dog trying to play and communicate with others. The only hiccup is that no one can understand him and becomes fearful of him. In his mind he is talking and wanting to playball but no oneone stays. The overall message I believe is to understand that everyone is unique in there own way.
Anastasia Wojtowicz
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a must have children’s book! The story about Jake, a misunderstood dog, wanting to find friends and learning that it’s ok to be different. Great way to teach kindness to our littles.
Christina Marie Reads
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everything about this children's book is perfectly wonderful! The lyrical quality of the writing, the gorgeous illustrations, and most importantly - the message to children to be kind to themselves and those around them. My youngest daughter and I enjoyed this book immensely!
Maura
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This terrific children's book is great for the younger child. It is easy to read, has great rhymes and has a message built in.

The illustrations are sweet and the activities at the back of the book are good for the whole family.

• Smoke & Mirrors (Nite Fire #3)
  • An Unexpected Sequel (Paranormal Talent Agency Book 4)
  • Michael's Heart
  • Jumping the Shark (Paranormal Talent Agency, #5)
  • Auburn Ride (The Delarosa Series Book 1)
  • Trickster's Hunt (Three Tricksters #1)
  • Behind Blue Eyes (Stockholm Murders #1)
  • Beachcomber Enemy (Beachcomber Investigations #9)
  • Virtue & Vice (Spicetopia #2)
  • Children Of The Future
  • Obsessed: Lila Casey Book 1 (Lila Casey Series)
  • Impact (A Twisted Hearts Love Story book 4)
  • Edge of the Storm: Book 2 (Silent Secrets)
  • The Matchmaker's Match (Man's Best Friend, #3)
  • Moves
  • Beau and Bett
  • Fire & Ice (Spicetopia #3)
  • The Vampire Queen (Wheel of Crowns, #3)