Start by marking “The Joy of Movement: How Exercise Helps Us Find Happiness, Hope, Connection, and Courage” as Want to Read:

The bestselling author of The Willpower Instinct introduces a surprising science-based book that doesn't tell us why we should exercise but instead shows us how to fall in love with movement.

Exercise is health-enhancing and life-extending, yet many of us feel it's a chore. But, as Kelly McGonigal reveals, it doesn't have to be. Movement can and should be a source
Published December 31st 2019 by Avery Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Movement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Movement

Start your review of The Joy of Movement: How Exercise Helps Us Find Happiness, Hope, Connection, and Courage
Karen
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am lucky enough to have taken several of Kelly McGonigal's Psychology classes and I have always been a huge fan. When I saw this book was coming out, I knew I would read it no matter what and I knew it would be fantastic no matter what.

And it was.

It's chock full of research about how movement can help with depression, loneliness and isolation. How we all need community and how movement can really help with that. It has a lot of inspiring stories and a lot of science. The perfect combination
Chris Boutté
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the work by Kelly and Jane McGonigal. I recently finished Kelly’s last book The Upside of Stress, and this book came out at the right time for my 2020 goal of losing 50 lbs.

Each chapter is backed by a ton of research about how movement can help with depression, feelings of loneliness as well as isolation and much more.

I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who needs some motivation
Laurie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
It is quite possible that my impression of this book was impacted by the book I just completed reading, another science-focused text that also included stories of the people behind the science as well as the people impacted by the science. My hope was for The Joy of Movement to be of similar quality and depth.

McGonigal's book is a love story to the joy of movement (yes, the title is quite apt) and to her love of movement. While she does include some neuroscience, as well as many (sometimes I
K. G.
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read several of Kelly McGonigal’s books, and attended one if her seminars. I think this book is really great for providing a scientific understanding of the chemical effects of movement on the brain. The examples and stories were really inspiring and many of them focus on runners. But I was looking for a different book. I was looking for a book that could inspire a non-mover with arthritis to get some joy in even a small amount of movement. This is not that book. But her work is so good ...more
Jennifer Rumack
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It started a bit slow and repetitive and redeemed itself with inspiring stories about community, nature, joy and hope all revealed through moving our bodies. No better reasons to find some friends and go for a hike!
Bombon
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting!
Aly
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and moving! I learned from the science and teared up over and over hearing the stories. I recommend the audiobook read by Kelly. Humans are indeed amazing.
Jade
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Inspiring stories with scientific explanations.
Pippa Mcbride
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book describes so many of the experiences I have enjoyed through exercise. Fascinating.
Julie Evarts
Crystal
Jan 15, 2020
Terri
Jan 06, 2020

• Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Buried Deep
  • The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone - Especially Ourselves
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • Oscar Charleston: The Life and Legend of Baseball’s Greatest Forgotten Player
  • The Marshmallow Test: Mastering Self-Control
  • The Emperor's New Drugs: Exploding the Antidepressant Myth
  • Writing to Persuade: How to Bring People Over to Your Side
  • Anatomy of a Song: The Oral History of 45 Iconic Hits That Changed Rock, R&B and Pop
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
Kelly McGonigal, PhD, is a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University, an award-winning science journalist, and a leading expert on the mind-body relationship. Her teaching and writing focus on the applications of psychological science to personal health and happiness, as well as public policy and social change.

She is the author of The Upside of Stress (Penguin Random House/Avery