Start by marking “Murder by the Minster (Kitt Hartley Yorkshire Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder by the Minster (Kitt Hartley Yorkshire Mysteries, #1)

Murder by the Minster (Kitt Hartley Yorkshire Mysteries, #1)

A BRAND NEW COSY MYSTERY SERIES SET IN THE PICTURESQUE CITY OF YORK. FOR FANS OF FAITH MARTIN, BETTY ROWLANDS AND LJ ROSS.

Meet Kitt Hartley: librarian, trilby-wearer, Lady Grey tea-drinker, taker of no nonsense... detective?

Published July 1st 2019 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Murder by the Minster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder by the Minster

Start your review of Murder by the Minster (Kitt Hartley Yorkshire Mysteries, #1)
Paromjit
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Helen Cox's first book in the murder mystery series featuring the strong, independent, trilby wearing librarian, Katherine 'Kitt' Hartley, set in the wonderful city of York. She works at the University of Vale of York Library, her best friend, Evie Bowes, is a massage therapist. On a ordinary day at work, the police arrive at the library, Evie has been arrested for murder. Owen Hall, Evie's ex-boyfriend, who had treated Evie badly, has been killed by poison, and a fountain pen has been ...more
Elizabeth
Title: Murder By the Minster
Series:Kitt Hartley #1
Author: Helen Cox
Genre: mystery
July 1,2019

Meet Kitt Hartley: librarian, trilby-wearer, taker of no nonsense... detective?
It's a perfectly normal day for Kitt Hartley at her job at the University of the Vale of York library, until Detective Inspector Halloran arrives at her desk to tell her that her best friend, Evie Bowes, is under suspicion of murder. Evie's ex-boyfriend Owen has been found dead - with a fountain pen stabbed through his heart -
Meredith Rankin
Thanks to Netgalley and Quercus books for an advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is one review I hope doesn’t come back to bite me. I hope it doesn’t come across as unduly harsh.

On the positive side, Helen Cox obviously knows how to write. (She’s a multi-published romance novelist.) I didn’t feel like pulling my eyeballs out while reading, and the story kept me reading from the first page to the last. Kudos for that!

However, there are some serious issues with the book as
Ceecee
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3 - 4 stars.

Three dramatic murders in York??? Noooooo!!!! It is one of the most beautiful, historic and safest cities in the UK where the most dangerous thing is the River Ouse (it is indeed ‘merciless’) and on a lighter note the hen and stag parties that descend at weekends with all their gaudy plumage and exuberance. However, I loved the setting as like many of our glorious old cities with rich history it did make a fabulous backdrop to this Christie-esque novel. I thought Kitt Hartley and
Karen Hollins-Stallman
"Murder by the Minster" by Helen Cox is first instalment in the new "Kitt Hartley Yorkshire Mysteries series"mi thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Meet Kitt Hartley: librarian, no-nonsense Yorkshirewoman ... detective?

Thebooktrail
murder by the minster

Travel to York via the books location

Yay! A book set firmly in the stunning York Minster and the historic city of York. I’ve read many historical books and time slip novels set here, but nothing like a cosy mystery as far as I can recall. This novel hits the spot and then some. It’s like being with old friends and as this is a debut, that’s pretty good going!

There’s a lot to like here. Comedy, mystery, a who dunnit Cluedo style drama and a sleuth who constantly drops in literary quotes,
Laurie
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Librarian Kit Hamilton is puzzled when the police ask to interview her about her best friend’s former boyfriend. She is then shocked to discover that not only has he been murdered, but her best friend Evie is their best suspect. She is soon drawn into the investigation when it becomes clear that she is the only one willing to believe in Evie’s innocence.

A very good first mystery for this author! The story was a good one, not too intricately plotted, but well written with engaging characters. I
Maria
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I finished this book with just a few hours, it was so funny and addictive that I couldn’t put it down.
Kitt Hartley is a librarian at the University of the Vale of York, she is very good at her job, let’s be honest, but her life will turn upside down when her best friend is accused of murder and she as an accomplice! She knows that neither of them have killed the not so nice Owen, so the question would be, who had a strong motive to kill him? With some interesting characters and
Sue
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meet Katherine Hartley - Kitt to her friends - Librarian in charge of the Women's Studies section of Vale of York University Library. A librarian with a penchant for a trilby and a cup of Lady Grey tea, who is not inclined to take any nonsense.

One perfectly normal day, Kitt's morning is interrupted by the arrival of the intriguing Detective Inspector Malcolm Halloran at her desk, to tell her that her best friend Evie has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of her ex-boyfriend, Owen.

Kitt is
Noemi Proietti
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a weekend spent drinking with her best friend Evie, Kitt is still recovering on Monday morning when two detectives arrive at her place of work, the library of the University of York. They are investigating the murder of Evie’s ex boyfriend and they suspect that Evie is somehow involved. Eager to prove her best friend’s innocence, Kitt starts investigating on her own, uncovering a truth twistier and more dangerous than she thought.

I loved the protagonist, Kitt Hartley, librarian during the
Jacky Mercury
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Female lead mystery

To be honest, I only read this because it's at it York, which I know well. However I ended up rattling through it in 2 days. Very enjoyable murder-mystery centred around a feisty red haired librarian(yes,really) and her friends. The characters were all engaging, and even though I'm not a big fan of romance, I still enjoyed this book very much.
Vanessa-Ann Dowsett
Very good story, highly recommend
Mr Kenneth L Mullen
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Story

This is the first book that I have read by this author and one that I enjoyed.I will be buying the next in the series to see if it is as good as this one.
Charlotte Pawson
Kitt Hartley works in the York University Library. She becomes involved with DI Halloran when her best friend Evie is charged with murder. You follow Kitt as she takes on the investigation to prove her friends innocence. It has its light hearted moments with good characters as Kitt’s helpers. Romance is at the heart of this mystery for good or bad.
I was given an Arc of this book by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Vicki O.
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New author for me and I really enjoyed the mystery. The main characters are people I would want to meet. Can't wait for the next adventure.
Michelle Debnam
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very first page up till its last this book must cant be put down. Highly recommended

When her friends ex is murdered a not so quitel librarian decides she is going to clear her friends name but when more bodies turn up and the suspicion falls on them both things take a dramatic twist
Jo
Kitt and Evie are BFFs so when Evie is accused of murder, librarian Kitt sets forth to investigate and clear her name. York is one of my favourite cities so I love to read novels set there. For some reason, when I saw the title of this book, I presumed it would be a medieval mystery. It's contemporary and cosy so rather cliched in parts but still an entertaining read.
Gea
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-com
Wonderful to see a librarian as the main character of this first installment of a new series by Helen Cox. The book includes some great secondary characters all set in beautiful York.. An engaging release for cosy mystery fans!.
Annarella
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of cosy mysteries and I'm more than happy I discovered this series.
It's well written, engrossing and entertaining. It was one of those book you cannot put down and I turned pages as fast as I could till I reached the last one.
The cast of characters is well written and fleshed out, Kitt grows slowly on you and you start rooting for her after a bit.
The mystery is full of red herrings, twists and turns and kept me guessing till the end.
The setting is lovely and the plot, even if a
Jan
Librarian Kitt has closed herself off from most people since her live in deserted her ten years ago, but she has one best friend and an assortment of dear friends at work who are the best sort of characters. But one day the stone faced pair known as Inspector Halloran and Sergeant Banks come to the University library in full view of friends and foe alike to question Kitt about her best friend, Evie, who has been taken in as the prime suspect in the bizarre murder of Evie's ex who had recently ...more
Toni
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is THANK GOD this is going to be a series because I don’t think I could live long without a new Kitt and DI Halloran book coming in the future. Helen Cox is a favorite new author for me. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for any new books by her.

This is basically a police procedural with cozy mystery leanings. Kitt is a librarian who is taken in for questioning for the murder of her best friend Evie’s ex-boyfriend, Owen. The mystery was pretty good and I had no idea whodunit
Theresa Larson
Kitt Harrington is a librarian at the Vale of York University. One day two detectives show up at the library. They begin questioning her about Owen Hall, the former boyfriend of her best friend, Evie. Kitt is confused by all of their questions about Owen, but finally ferrets out that Owen has been killed. She is even more surprised to find out that Evie is their prime suspect.

Once Evie is released, she decides she needs to investigate Owen’s death in order to clear herself. Kitt believes this is
Annie
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Murder by the Minster is the first book in a new cosy mystery series by Helen Cox. Due out 1st July from Quercus, it's 374 pages and will be available in ebook format.

I generally love cosies with bonus points for librarians, England, university/academia. This book checked all the boxes, really. I wasn't familiar with the author previously, but the cover and the premise caught my eye. I'm glad I gave it a try because it is engagingly written and
Robert Crouch
I was drawn to this novel for two reasons – I lean towards the cosy end of the crime market and the publisher suggests this is a novel for fans of Faith Martin and LJ Ross. As a huge fan of the latter, I thought I would try Murder by the Minster.

After a slow start the story grew on me, though I don’t think I’m the target reader. The novel has too much description for my liking, which slows the pace. The police procedural side seems somewhat unlikely, resulting in behaviour that’s unrealistic. If
Jo Barton
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Kitt's friend, Evie, is arrested for murder it creates a situation in both of their lives which pretty much alters everything they think they know about each other, but one thing Kitt is sure about is that her friend Evie couldn't possibly be a murderer.

What then follows is Kitt's attempt to exonerate her friend whilst at the same time searching for clues to the real culprit, and that's where Kitt put her detective skills to good years. Years as a librarian, and reading detective fiction,
Helen
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in a new series featuring librarian Kitt Hartley, and set in the city if York, in which Kitt turns detective to clear the name of her best friend Evie, accused of murder.

If you like your crime fiction gritty, raw and tense, this isn't for you, but if you're looking for something much less threatening and your taste is more for the "cosy crime" subgenre, with a hint of humour and romance thrown in, then this one is definitely for you.

It has a good cast of characters, several of whom
Andover Library
Having worked in libraries for a long time, I was intreagued to read this book that has a librarian as its main character. Kitt works in a university rather than public library but I think Helen Cox captured the feel of a library and its eclectic mix of customers well.

Kitt was maybe a little over the top with her literary call backs but it did fit with her character. I loved Grace, Kitt’s assistant who would happily spend hours digging round on the internet following clues, without falling into
Éowyn
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Seems to be being pushed as a 'cosy' murder, but it's not quite a whodunit because I don't think you have quite enough clues to be able to work it out. It happens in York, but other than that, there's not really much connection with York Minster, as per the title, other than perhaps to let a reader know where they are?

There are too many slightly eccentric characters to make this realistic, but it makes it an enjoyable light-hearted (for a murder!) read - and there's more than a dash of romance
Grace J Reviewerlady
I'm so happy that this is the first in a new series! I love a murder mystery and this has so much going for it!

Kitt Hartley; librarian, unique sense of fashion, single, loyal friend and disbelieving of her best friend being guilty of murder. What an intricate and yet totally believable tale! Beautifully plotted and skilfully written, with something always happening to keep my attention firmly on the story - and such great characters!

With such fantastic descriptions, it was so easy to have a
Cathy Cole
Trilby-wearing Kitt Hartley is definitely a character to watch. She's got all her librarian scowls and stares down pat as well as a sharp tongue that she's not afraid to use. It's also good to see that Helen Cox has given her main character an excellent mystery to solve. Any time that I haven't put all the pieces together-- or at least some of them-- is a rare day, and I was certainly kept guessing as I read this book.

There was only one thing wrong with Murder by the Minster for me-- and it may

• The Vicarage Murder (Monica Noble, #1)
  • The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2)
  • A Fatal Secret (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #4)
  • The Royal Baths Murder (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • The Missing Wife (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #2)
  • An Unholy Shame (Monica Noble, #3)
  • The Man in the Pink Suit (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #3)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • St. Benet's (DI Tanner #2)
  • The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
  • The Quayside Murder (Eric Ward #3)
  • The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)
  • The Farming Murder (Eric Ward #2)
  • Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)
  • Murder Unearthed (Kat and Mouse Mysteries #3)
  • The Diamond Murder (Eric Ward #4)
  • Murder in the Fens (A Tara Thorpe Mystery #4)
  • Crime in the Choir (Detective Markham Mystery #1)
Helen Cox is a Yorkshire-born romance novelist and poet. She hosts a monthly podcast called The Poetrygram and coordinates the poetry and non-fiction courses at the charitable courses City Lit, London.

After completing her MA in creative writing at the University of York St. John Helen found work writing for a range of magazines, websites and blogs as well as writing news and features for TV and