Start by marking “Nobody Move (Angel City #1)” as Want to Read:
Nobody Move (Angel City #1)

Nobody Move

(Angel City #1)

Winner: Indie Author Project Ontario | Shortlisted: Millennium Book Award | Shortlisted: Shelf Unbound Best Indie Book Award

"Elliott has a real feel for comedic noir in the Elmore Leonard vein, and his debut novel screams cult classic" Booklist

Eddie Vegas made a terrible mistake. Now he has to pay the price. After a botched debt collection turned double murder, Eddie splits, desperate to av/>Eddie—
"Elliott
Published September 10th 2019 by Into the Void

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Move

Start your review of Nobody Move (Angel City #1)
Dave
If you can't watch Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill or even the Italian Job or a spaghetti western or two enough times, then this is crime fiction novel for you. With nods to all the great pulp movies of the last few decades, Nobody Move is a fast-moving, rocking thriller set among the neon lights of Los Angeles. It's filled with goofball hoods, hitmen, losers on the run, strip club princesses, cowboys quoting biblical passages and antsy for vengeance, bags of loot, car chases through the badlands of c ...more
Shafay Ishtiaq
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nobody Move is a fast-paced crime thriller by 'Philip Elliott'. The novel is inspired by Quentin Tarantino's movies. Since I enjoy action and crime thrillers I totally loved this book and it was hard to put it down.

The main place of action was the city of Los Angeles. The book has everything in it and filled with Drug Dealers, Bible quoting Cowboy killer, Merciless gangsters, Cops, Gays, Transgenders, Strippers etc. The action part was very well written. Each character is an import
Helen Power
Synopsis
When Eddie Vegas is sent to shake down a man who owes a lot of money to his employer, he makes a fatal error and ends up accidentally killing the guy.  Since Eddie’s boss now holds him personally responsible for repaying the $50,000, he takes off. Now, not only is Eddie on the run from his former boss and partners in crime, but the man he killed had allies that are out for blood. His blood.

My Thoughts
Nobody Move is a rocket-fast paced black-comedy thriller that I finished in just an evening.  It’s one of
Andrew Smith
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eddie Vegas has erred, seriously so. A seemingly straight forward debt collection visit for gangster Saul Benedict has gone bad and there are now bodies on the floor. Vegas has been working for Saul for a while now but it’s not clear if he can survive this mistake. He decides to lay low and see how the land lies but it soon becomes clear that one way or another his actions have made him a marked man. Along the way, Vegas meets up with a stunning Native American woman named Dakota, who is looking ...more
MissBecka
Action filled and exciting.
It's a shame the author decided to put in so many derogatory thoughts.
All the hateful (women, LGBTQ & wildly racist) comments were really off-putting and completely unnecessary to the story.
This could have been really good had he decided to just leave all that crap out.
Thank you NetGalley and Into the Void for my DRC.
Susan's Reviews
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
If you like detective novels, a decent mystery, lots of nasty crooks and killers, this book is for you! Just about everybody gets shot or stabbed or killed in this fast-paced novel (Just kidding - a few characters are left alive to reveal the twist!) A decent, well-written read. (I had to skim over a few sections, being squeamish in my old age, but lovers of this genre will have plenty of action-packed and gory scenes to revel in!) I give this a 3.7 out of 5.
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follow these crime capers in the first of a series set in L.A. There’s murders-a-plenty, crime, car chases and everything else in between as Elliott certainly creates a novel reminiscent of a Tarantino film. True, there are some references to this famed director, but I could easily see for myself the traits that Elliott has written within this plot.

Personally, I wasn’t too blown away by the plot and feel that the type of crime being described wasn’t too engaging. There’s a lot of und
David Rugendorf
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You won't want to put it down! Nobody Move charges ahead at a frenetic pace, pedal to the metal as bullets fly from page to page. Set in today's Los Angeles, Nobody Move reminds one of the best of Elmore Leonard and Quentin Tarantino. Using broad, colorful strokes, Philip Elliott has penned a crime thriller which is both thoroughly contemporary, but also an homage to the great Los Angeles neo-noir tradition. Elliott's characters are vivid and complex, and his book is loaded with shocks and surpr ...more
Heath Brougher
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's only April but I already know what the best novel of 2019 is. Even better? This book is part of a series that are guaranteed to reel in everyone who dares to open its pages. Quentin Tarantino inspired? Yes--but there's more here. There's an essence, a brilliance, that Tarantino cannot even come close to. Philip Elliott is the future of the novel as he takes the novel form into new realms of existence. This is the novel of the 21st century.
John C.
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My tastes in books usually lean toward literary fiction, but every so often I like to dive into something fun that doesn’t overtax my brain cells. Philip Elliott’s "Nobody Move" is just what the doctor ordered. Vivid, engaging and hugely entertaining, this book is a sheer joyride that offers a hilarious take on L.A.’s crime scene and sleazy subculture.

Elliott is a skilled craftsman and killer story teller who lets his over-the-top characters speak for themselves. "Nobody Move" is a
Carolyn
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a thrilling, highly-propulsive, frenzied crime thriller in the neo-noir tradition. There is much murder and mayhem with some darkly humours events and dialogue, reminiscent of the best Quentin Tarantino movies.

The story is set in contemporary Los Angeles and begins with a flawed debt collection for a brutal gangster by several of his thugs. Things begin to go seriously wrong for Eddie on this botched mission. He finds himself on the run from law officers, hitmen, members of his own gan
Rowena Hoseason
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A rollicking rampage of wise guys, sassy strippers, hard-boiled detectives and cold-blooded killers, Nobody Move easily adds up to near-perfect pulp fiction.

Eddie’s story is a freight-train of good intentions which get shunted onto the fast track to hell. He’s not an altogether bad bloke (for a mob enforcer who collects debts with menaces and spends all his spare time in strip joints), but his lazy complicity has led him a long way into iniquity. You don’t end up murdering a couple of swells en
Amanda Evans
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the very first page, the dialogue pulled me right into the story and I could picture the scene as being something out of a 90s thriller movie. It's fun, it's fast-moving, and I loved it. Elliott does a fantastic job of making you want to turn the pages even though the characters are not the nicest of people. The book opens with Eddie and Floyd trying to recoup money for their boss to dire consequences, a murder, and Eddie on the run.

This book is ideal for those who love a myster
Dylan Cundiff
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not sure where I heard of this book but I am glad I did. This was read in one sitting and the only thing I didnt like was that it had to end. non-stop action from the start, while still helping the reader to understand the characters. An over the top action movie in a book, and for me, the book is always better.
Wyborn Senna
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Raw, Relentless, Ruthless Crime Thriller

Eddie has been caught in the undertow of a very bad wave of men and circumstances and their thug mentality is rubbing off on him, but underneath he is not made of the same conscienceless stuff they are, and this is illustrated well by the author, making him a somewhat reluctant protagonist. The tension, anxiety and dread he feels are palpable; most readers can feel comfortable getting behind him. These are wise attributes for the main character
NJ
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Very early on we meet Eddie and Floyd. They have been sent on a job to ‘scare’ one of Saul’s (the big boss man) clients into getting the money he owes him as he is a few days late. But, Eddie, who’s been feeling out of sorts all day thinks that something doesn’t feel quite right and isn’t particularly looking forward to this job, and he was right not to.

Eddie Vegas messed up BIG time, now he’s on the run.

After the accident, Eddie, Floyd and we meet Sawyer, the driver, decide to bury the eviden
Bill Huffman
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z2019, zseptember
Nothing for me to add to the other reviews here, except to say this is one of the best books I've read this year.
Chrissy McAteer
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this complimentary copy of Nobody Move from the author, via voraciousreadersonly.
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish! I am very hard to please, because sometimes, even though I enjoy a book, I often think the ending lets it down. Nobody Move was fast paced , exciting and humorous, also it had a gratifying ending, one that was real and didn’t con the reader. I will be on the lookout for more of the same ....... FABULOUS
Gail
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this wonderful book as a complimentary online copy from the author because of my association with Voracious Readers Only. Thank you to both parties. I thoroughly enjoyed the book ... great characters . I love seeing string female heros in the books I’ve been reading lately ... the female detective and Dakota . Nice to see something good come from something bad as well . Good read!
Casey
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not the type of book I would normally read, but I found myself getting sucked in and just could not put it down. It’s a fantastic homage to some of the great modern filmmakers, definitely gleaning inspiration from Tarantino and the Coen brothers (with a few meta jokes to hammer it home).
The characters were believable, the plot had just enough going on without being confusing, and the overall pacing was spot-on. Highly recommend this gem!
Liz
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Talk about violence, action and bad-ass characters! This book is filled with that and more. A captivating read that swept me along from page one. One mistake that leads to another and then to another and it never ends. Well-written and well-plotted, I think this is another author that I’ll be on the lookout for. (A side note, the issue of violence against Indian women is a heart-breaker.)
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Kath Mardle
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from voracious readers in return for a frank review. Usually I avoid books involving gangster types because they bore me, however; this book was able to hold my interest to the end. Fast paced, well written and a thoroughly enjoyable read with plenty of action along the way.
Michael Hill
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A smart, tough, gritty, crime noir filled with a web of dangerous, fascinating, and memorable characters.
Garry Aernouts
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
completely immersed into the characters being fluidly introduced. immensely thrilled to read page after page of this engrossing tale.
Patrick Elliott
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't Put This Thing Down!!!

This book is GRIPPING! Cannot put it down. Reads like a screenplay, it would be a crime if it is not made into a (crime) movie. It's tough for me to find a book that holds my attention, but this is the one. The characters are brought to life through the author's witty, and sharp writing, where the dialogue takes center stage. Jump into the dark side of the City of Angels, where crime meets comedy, and the lines of good and evil are often thread upon.
Aina
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley-addict
4.5 This is a sardonic black comedy filled with outrageous characters and snappy, quick dialogue. There’s shootings, car chases, even a bank heist! The Tarantino influence is clear, right down to the epigraph. I also enjoyed the musical references peppered in throughout. While I’m aware that Eddie and many of the characters are criminals, I couldn’t help but root for them. It's messed up yet it makes perfect sense!

What I like about the book is that it‘s not afraid to take a moral sta
Becky Baldridge
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nobody Moves is reminiscent of the 90s - early 2000s Tarantino movies, so if you liked those, this should be right up your alley. There's twisted, crazy action tempered with dramatic conversations, and the settings are wonderfully drawn. There is a lot going on, and it's a lot to keep up with. It made me think of a game of chess as the characters make their moves toward and away from each other. Then we have the relationships between the characters, some known and some not, and how they come tog ...more
C.M.
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alison, the single-mom detective who takes grief from no one, thinks to herself, "The problem with being on call in this city (LA): you always get f-----g called." And you know it's true.

If you're a fan of neo-noir fiction and films, you're gonna dig 'Nobody Move.' This vivid, high-speed novel does not let up. By turns horrifying and hilarious, the twists and turns had me from beginning to end. Elliott references beloved films in overt and subtle ways. From a character wearing a 'Pul
Jim Trainer
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! Nobody Move may traipse in familiar tropes, with scenes and characters we’ve all probably seen before, but here is L.A. the archetype and a Hollywood of the collective unconscious. Nobody Move tells a timeless tale but masterfully, in a fresh and different way. It references the greats and classics of the genre, but never gets cliche or cute about it, and is not, for one second, tired.

We want the good guy to win and he does. But he doesn’t. We want him to get the girl and he does.
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
This "L.A. Crime" novel sort of turns the expectations of Los Angeles Noir on their heads, with a Feckless Hero who is actually too good at heart to save himself from a misguided life. Eddie Vegas reminds me of Hollywood's "heart of gold" "ladies of the night" of 1930's and 1940's films. So too does his "love interest," Dakota, a Native American searching for her long-lost sibling. A different Eddie would be more cunning, more fortunate, or a better decision maker; but he wouldn't be Eddie.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Girl From The Tree House
  • Thirteen Days in Milan - Milan Thriller Series Book 1
  • Forbidden Birth (Chris Ravello Medical Thriller #2)
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • The Dark Web Murders (The Inspector Sheehan Murders #4)
  • A Highlander Walks into a Bar (Highland, Georgia, #1)
  • The Other Side of Elsewhere
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Poker Chips and Poison  ( A Silvermoon Retirement Village Cozy #1)
  • Ain't Nobody Nobody
  • Seeds of Change: Space Opera, Metaphysical (Aride Universe Book 1)
  • The Watchman of Ephraim (Cris De Niro, #1)
  • The Night Fire (Renée Ballard, #3)
  • Enlightened
  • The Raid (Ryan Decker #2)
  • The Nanny at Number 43
  • Under Eden: Part 1: The Ebola Conspiracy
  • The Water Dancer
Philip Elliott is an award-winning author, freelance editor, and founder and editor-in-chief of award-winning literary journal Into the Void. His debut novel, comedic L.A. noir Nobody Move, won the Indie Author Project Award for the region of Ontario. Philip was a National Juror of the 2019 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, and a winner of the 2018 Big Pond Rumours Chapbook Prize. His writing has been no ...more
“You're not done with L.A. until L.A. is done with you.” 2 likes
“At last Eddie understood why they called it 'making love.' Until now he'd only been having sex, and, my oh my, what he had been missing.” 1 likes