Start by marking “All Our Hidden Gifts (All Our Hidden Gifts, #1)” as Want to Read:
All Our Hidden Gifts (All Our Hidden Gifts, #1)

All Our Hidden Gifts

(All Our Hidden Gifts #1)

Maeve’s strangely astute tarot readings make her the talk of the school, until a classmate draws a chilling and unfamiliar card—and then disappears.

After Maeve finds a pack of tarot cards while cleaning out a closet during her in-school suspension, she quickly becomes the most sought-after diviner at St. Bernadette’s Catholic school. But when Maeve’s ex–best friend, Lily
Published June 8th 2021 by Walker Books US

To ask other readers questions about All Our Hidden Gifts, please sign up.
Caroline O'Donoghue Hey! The MC is a straight girl but her love interest is exploring his gender and sexual identity throughout the book. There are LGBTQ side characters …moreHey! The MC is a straight girl but her love interest is exploring his gender and sexual identity throughout the book. There are LGBTQ side characters and many of the themes deal with homophobia and allyship to the queer community.(less)

Start your review of All Our Hidden Gifts (All Our Hidden Gifts, #1)
Caroline O'Donoghue
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this and it's a banger! ...more
luce
| | blog | tumblr | ko-fi | |

Caroline O'Donoghue's foray into YA will definitely appeal to fans of the genre. Although I do have a few criticisms I can safely say that I found All Our Hidden Gifts to be an entertaining read.

Set in Ireland, our narrator and protagonist is sixteen-year old Maeve Chambers, the youngest in a big family. She has quite a chip on her shoulder when it comes to her 'brilliant' sisters and brothers. Unlike them she isn't academically gifted and for a period of time she
Jessica
Apr 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher (Walker Books) in exchange for an honest review.

I was very excited to read this book because it focuses on tarot and I recently just learned how to read tarot.

Speaking of tarot, I liked how there were pictures of the tarot cards scattered throughout the book. I think that is so helpful for readers who may not be familiar with tarot cards and what each card looks like.

When it comes to the characters, there is so much representation. Roe is non-b
Whispering Stories
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Irish Teenager Maeve Chambers finds herself in trouble at school. Her punishment is to clear out the Chokey, a long deep cupboard filled to the brim with items such as furniture and things confiscated from the pupils over the years.

Whilst cleaning she comes across an old walkman with a tape titled ‘Spring 1990’ and some Tarot cards. Maeve takes both items home with her. It isn’t long before she is learning all about Tarot. She feels like the cards talk t
Gabriela Pop
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As some would say : "All Our Hidden Gifts is an enchanting read, blending the chatty charm of Maeve Binchy with the imaginative scope of Diana Wynne Jones".
There's a very specific kind of whimsy and escapism that can be encountered in early 2000s paranormal fantasy and ALL OUR HIDDEN GIFTS captures this so well, but updates it in a way that makes it much more reflective of modern audiences (read: less girl hate, more genderqueer love interests, for example).
O'Donoghue portrays such a realistic
Bookread2day
Jul 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review is on my website www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
I love tarot card reading stories as I bought a lot of tarot cards for my daughter, which we are both so in to . I have used a lot of them that appear in the story here on my website along with the book.

This novel maybe for 14+ year olds but I loved it, and I can safely say it’s certainly suitable for the older generation to read.

Maeve Chambers is at St Bernadette catholic girls school, costing two thousand euro a term. Maeve, gets detenti
Brittany (whatbritreads)
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
*Thank you so much to the publisher for sending me a copy in exchange for review!*

If you want a witchy, magically mysterious YA book, this is a good shout for your next read. I enjoyed it and had a great time in this world.

As fantasy books go, this was really easy to pick up and follow along with. The magical elements were well done and engaging, and I didn’t get confused at any point while following the plot. I loved how much tarot was integrated into this story, I haven’t read many witchy book
Eviebooks
Aug 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a new favourite of mine!!:)
Star
Thank you to Walker Books Australia for providing me an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

This one was so different and so cool. I love that it's set in Ireland, and my full review will be up soon.

Representation: Roe is gender fluid and bisexual. Fiona is Filipino. Joanne is a lesbian.

Content warnings: racism, homophobia, suicide, self-harm, bullying, mentions of adultery.

The second I heard about All Our Hidden Gifts, I knew I wanted to read it.

The story opens on Maeve gettin
Lou
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Our Hidden Gifts is the first instalment in the eponymous darkly magical young adult series with a spellbinding supernatural plot and a mystery precipitated by amateur tarot card reading. 16-year-old Irish teenager Maeve Chambers is a loner and has been since she ditched her best friend Lily three years ago. The sole idiot in a family of geniuses, she has always struggled to fit in. But when she finds a pack of dusty old tarot cards in a cupboard at her school and begins to give scarily accu ...more
 Gabriele | QueerBookdom
DRC provided by Walker Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Representation: genderqueer bisexual secondary character, Filipino-Irish secondary character, lesbian secondary character, deaf tertiary character, queer tertiary characters.

Content Warning: bullying, homophobia, religious fanaticism, slurs, HP reference, self-harm, racism, violence, mentions of suicide, mentions of spousal physical abuse, mentions of homophobic assaults (physical and verbal).

All Our Hidden Gifts by Caro
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
All Our Hidden Gifts was a surprisingly amazing read for me. The first chapter had been rocky for me but the moment I hit chapter 2 I had a hard time putting it down until the end. Teenagers are dealing with hate crimes, climate change, oppression from every angle and juggling all of this while trying to find themselves, whether they're wanting to figure out/explore their sexuality, their own desires in life itself, or trying to save a fellow teen.

The emotions felt very real and the flaws in the
Book Barbarian  (Tammy Smith)
I just reviewed All Our Hidden Gifts - YALC Sampler by Caroline O’Donoghue. #AllOurHiddenGifts #NetGalley

I am honestly so blown away by these first few chapters. I have really fallen in love with the characters and the setting. I am really sad to not have it all to devour!

It's not enough to form a full opinion on but I hope that I will be able to request the full copy soon. I have a feeling this is going to be an amazing book!

Thank you so much for letting me read this YALC sampler.
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader

The emotions felt very real and the flaws in the
Charlotte
Jun 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, rc-21
A story of magic and growing up/friendship/love all twisted together with hate and negativity (the later being thwarted, though not entirely defeated because as the main character learns, magic isn't responsible for all the bigotry and hate in the world. If you are a fan of teenaged girls in the real world acquiring magical powers and having to learn quickly how to use them in desperate circumstances, or a fan of girls who have been really, deeply unkind to people during dark young teen times an ...more
Simon J Alvey
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An engaging plot that builds to a dramatic climax, which I read in a day or so, is testimony to its readability. However what I was struck by was its compassion, for its characters and readers. In the tradition of so many YA books it is offering a hope to anyone who feels to be an outsider that they can find their gift. All of this shot through with a message of welcoming friends from across races, sexualities and gender identities. Frankly if a teenager reads this, then we might just have a cha ...more
Andreea Zelenyak
Jul 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this one! It almost was a 5 star read but it was a little draggy in some parts and I found the main character to be annoying. I usually DNF books if I can’t connect to the main characters but this book was still interesting ….so4 golden stars!!
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
When All Our Hidden Gifts was announced, I knew I was going to like it. Caroline O'Donoghue is one of my auto-buy modern writers, and having her biting prose mixed with modern teenage witchery was more than promising to me. And it absolutely paid off.⁠

While cleaning out a cupboard at school for punishment, Maeve discovers an old tape and a mysterious pack of tarot cards. Excited by her discovery, she starts learning tarot and doing ad-hoc readings for her school friends. But when her ex-best fr
Ellie Carr
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read a YA novel for years, but after reading this book that feels like a terrible mistake, and one that I should immediately set about rectifying.

It’s funny, it’s spooky, it’s got a nice lil’ slice of mysterio pie for all you would-be sleuths out there and it could also double as a fairly thorough intro to tarot. What’s not to like?

I read this book in less than 36 hours. 8 of those I was on the clock, and another 8 I was asleep, so really, I polished it off in less than a day-I could
Diane Wilkes
Sep 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I dreamed I would find 20+ years ago.

When I started studying tarot in earnest, as opposed to thinking of it as a side dish and not my vocation, I still was too unformed a (book) reader to apply myself to non-fiction. I was primarily a reader of novels and I wanted--more than anything--to find a tarot-themed novel that didn't merely entertain or immerse but that would teach me the hidden secrets of the cards, the full and rich development of their character that novels often appl
Dawn
Sep 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
This one reminds me of why I loved witchy books and YA urban fantasy. The tarot magic and general witchy vibe is so fascinating and, well, magical. It's saying more it does because nowadays most of the times I don't feel magic is magical in fantasy anymore. This book brought that feeling back. Also I'm presently surprised by how flawed the main character is, and I'm VERY glad in the end a character whom the main character hurt is ALLOWED to still hate her. Because news flash, people actually don ...more
Janna
Aug 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"All Our Hidden Gifts" by Caroline O'Donoghue was a delight to read!

I loved reading every second of this wonderful book. It takes place in Ireland which made made it very relatable to me as a fellow European.

One of my favourite characters was Maeve's love interest Roe, a bisexual person, who is questioning his gender identity. He also has a non-binary friend! Maeve's sister is queer as well.

Maeve doesn't always say the right things. But she learns so much throughout the story. And I think that's
Madden
Aug 05, 2021 rated it liked it
For the most part, I enjoyed the book. The plot was very creative and unique and I liked the side characters, Fiona and Roe. The writing style was immersive, and for the most part, enjoyable. The way it has been set up for a second book is also interesting and something I didn't see coming. Also, the cover is beautiful, which is always a plus.

However, I had two issues with the book.
-The pacing was very slow. There would be huge gaps where nothing happened and then all of a sudden a bunch of thin
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This book was so compulsively compelling! I couldn't stop reading it, it was so interesting seeing Maeve navigate her new affinity for tarot reading.

My favourite part of the book was when she starts being popular for tarot reads, and when she befriends two people who she never thought she would. I enjoyed the trans rep in here as well with the quiet acceptance. It slowly becomes a ghost/witchy story which takes quite a different turn from the start of the book.

Full review to come.
Demelda Penkitty
Jul 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Maeve Chambers doesn't have much going for her. Not only does she feel like the sole idiot in a family of geniuses, she managed to drive away her best friend Lily a year ago. But when she finds a pack of dusty old tarot cards at school, and begins to give scarily accurate readings to the girls in her class, she realizes she's found her gift at last. Things are looking up – until she discovers a strange card in the deck that definitely shouldn't be there. And two days after she convinces her ex-b ...more
anna
Jul 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
this was fantastic! not at all what i expected, but in the time it took to read, i loved every bit.

content warnings: kidnapping (romanticization of kidnapping), homophobia (religion centered, hate crimes)

this book was a wild ride. the twists were so unexpected. i had recently discovered tarot cards and so i loved how this book was centered around them and the inclusion of them was so well done! this book dealt with some heavy topics like homophobia especially within the church, and while i don’
Luckie
Jul 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing read. This gave me mad House of Hollow vibes, peak urban fantasy. I loved the mystery element and I've never related to a character so hard. In conclusion, I am Maeve and Maeve is me.

Although I wouldn't necessarily classify this book as LGBTQ+ since that is not the main focus of the story, this book features a diverse range of characters in terms of sexuality, and does discuss topics of gender and sexuality in a way I felt was tasteful and accurate.

As someone who went through a
Jasmine
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

This book came along at the perfect time. I've DNF'd a lot this year already, so I didn't want to have to give up on another. Luckily, this book was near perfect. The only reason I docked half a star is that it felt like there was so much packed into it that the book dragged, but at the same time, I genuinely don't think there's anything that I would have removed from it.

All Our Hidden Gifts explores sexuality and gender in a most informative fashion, informing without forcing the issues to
Amanda (The Book Geek Boutique)
All Our Hidden Gifts follows Maeve as she tries to navigate her way through teenage life with all of its changes, emotions and hormones. During a detention at school she is asked to clean out a room where she comes across an old set of tarot cards. She soon learns that she has a knack for reading the cards and telling people their fortunes. What starts out as a harmless bit of fun ends in a missing girl and a dark cult of radicals taking their political beliefs to a disturbing level.
I really enj
Eva B.
Not gonna lie, this was definitely a cover buy-
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• We Played with Fire
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • The Hollow Gods (The Chaos Cycle Duology, #1)
  • The Essential Guide to Raising Complex Kids with ADHD, Anxiety, and More: What Parents and Teachers Really Need to Know to Empower Complicated Kids with Confidence and Calm
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, #2)
  • Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
  • Seasons of War (Skulduggery Pleasant, #13)
  • The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • Rumaysa: A Fairytale
  • Ghosts
  • Solutions and Other Problems
  • The Only Good Indians
  • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Coyote Doggirl
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
See top shelves…
Caroline O'Donoghue is an Irish author and the host of the award-winning Sentimental Garbage podcast. She writes fiction for adults and teenagers. Most of her book money is spent on vet bills. ...more

All Our Hidden Gifts (2 books)
  • The Gifts That Bind Us (All Our Hidden Gifts, #2)

News & Interviews

There's something so special about each class of debut YA authors; after all, young adult fiction is all about the hopefulness of new...